PDA

View Full Version : Canister stove information

Grandma Dixie
03-09-2006, 19:47
I see a lot of people saying things like "I cant find any jetboil fuel" or "they only had msr fuel" on the forums and I felt I should let the people who didn't already know that due to international regulations, ALL canisters work with ALL stoves (unless defective of course). For example, snowpeak fuel works with a jetboil stove and masr fuel works with a snowpeak stove, etc. I know many of you already know this, but I was surprised at the amount of people who didn't know this. Just a helpful hint for the stove ignorant.

maxNcathy
03-09-2006, 22:41
Thanks.

So getting fuel for my new pocket rocket should be easy along the trail???

Max

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2006, 22:51
Geting cannister fuel on the A.T. is no problem whatsoever.

For more information, there's an excellent piece on the subject in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze; it includes most of the places where cannisters are available.

If you've heard that they are hard to come by, you've been mis-informed.

bulldog49
03-10-2006, 14:30
You've also been misinformed if someone says they can't be mailed.

Grandma Dixie
03-10-2006, 16:31
I'm not sure if fuel is going to be easy to come by, but I can guarantee it willbe easier than if you were only trying to get one type of fuel.

sliderule
03-10-2006, 21:13
ALL canisters work with ALL stoves .

Not all canisters and stoves have the same type of attachment fittings. Which is not to say that mixing brands is not okay in many cases. But it won't work in every case.

hikerjohnd
03-10-2006, 21:54
Not all canisters and stoves have the same type of attachment fittings. Which is not to say that mixing brands is not okay in many cases. But it won't work in every case.

Yea - I thought some canisters were threaded and some not... All I look for is a canister with threads for my pocket rocket.

TACKLE
03-11-2006, 06:16
You've also been misinformed if someone says they can't be mailed.
I've been trying to get the cannisters mailed to me without success.Is it because I live in Hawaii? No catalogs will send them to me.

Grandma Dixie
03-11-2006, 12:24
they sent them to me. Did you try mountain gear? If you really need help you can order some and have them sent to me and then I'll mail them to you. (if you trust me)

bulldog49
03-11-2006, 13:51
I've been trying to get the cannisters mailed to me without success.Is it because I live in Hawaii? No catalogs will send them to me.

Yes, they can only be shipped by ground. So, until they build a bridge to Hawaii you are out of luck. :D

Just Jeff
03-11-2006, 15:07
I use a few kinds of cannisters with my JetBoil, but I've heard that JetBoil cannisters tend to leak with some other types of stoves. Something about a small difference in the threading.

But that doesn't make sense - since I haven't had any problems with the other cannisters, it would seem that the threading is the same.

Anyone experienced JetBoil cannisters leaking with non-Jetboil stoves?

orangebug
03-11-2006, 15:38
I've used JETBOIL and SNOWPEAK canisters interchangably with Snowpeak and Jetboil stoves. I read similar warnings to only used the same brand canister with the stove. I suspect this is a product liability caution, and not an actual problem with the fuel.

TACKLE
03-12-2006, 18:03
Yes, they can only be shipped by ground. So, until they build a bridge to Hawaii you are out of luck. :D

Thanks Bulldog,
I guess it's been ground freight only since 911,and the bridge would bring way too many tourists,so I'll have to go back to my Sierra stove until I get back on the AT!

SalParadise
03-12-2006, 19:32
Geting cannister fuel on the A.T. is no problem whatsoever.

For more information, there's an excellent piece on the subject in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze; it includes most of the places where cannisters are available.

If you've heard that they are hard to come by, you've been mis-informed.

Past Kent the cannisters started to get harder to find and I knew of a few hikers who made the switch to alcohol stoves around Vermont. When I found them sold I usually carried two. In Maine, I was very fortunate to find a half-full one in a hiker box in Andover. That said, they're not impossible to find and I wouldn't talk anybody out of a cannister stove, but just to be mindful that they're not always as easy to come by as they are everywhere before Vermont.

JoeHiker
03-13-2006, 13:44

(complete digression here)

Which reminds me. Has anyone who has been to Hawaii noticed how odd it is that they have Interstate highways? Exactly what other states do these things go to?

Just Jeff
03-13-2006, 20:06
State of confusion?

Roland
03-13-2006, 21:37
(complete digression here)

Which reminds me. Has anyone who has been to Hawaii noticed how odd it is that they have Interstate highways? Exactly what other states do these things go to?
I don't know if this is a sincere question, or an attempt at humor. In the event you are serious, I Googled an answer for you.

Why does Hawaii have interstate highways?

Any highway built under the auspices of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 and funded by the federal governent is called an interstate highway, even if it doesn't cross state lines. In fact, there are many local routes that lie entirely within a single state funded by the Act.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

orangebug
03-14-2006, 11:54
Alaska has Interstate highways.