PDA

View Full Version : What's Lighting Your Way?

pure_mahem
11-28-2019, 04:13
Just checked out this subforum and realize there hasnt been any posts in a long time here.

So What Light is Everyone Using these days?

Pros, Cons, Buy or Burn?

I will say I have a couple Princeton Tec Vizz Headlamps that Ive used for years neither of them are the higher lumen one they offer these days the Vizz 400 lumen. I bought them back then because they were at the time the only headlamp that could consistently run lithiums without frying the electronics. Not an issue Now at all. I will say I really like the Vizz it just does what it's suppose to do. I like running it on Lithiums they just store better and run better in my opinion. I tried rechargeables Rayovacs and man are they junk they go dead quick and dont hold a charge for now for more than a day before going dead.

I've used the Vizz as a bike light just removed the strap and attached it to my stem with 2 ranger bands. It works very well in that regard.

Down side is that the switch can be finicky to get the setting you want. Like trying to get into Red mode can be a real bear sometimes especially if you dont remember the button presses required.

I'm liking some of the new lights I've been seeing that actually have seperate switches for red and white light modes. Even seen a rechargeable Ozark Trail 300 lumen model that offer that for under $25. I may have to give this headlamp a try.

But thought I might bring this subforum back up into conversation and See whatchya all got goin.:banana

JC13
11-28-2019, 09:41
I have used the Nitecore NU25 for the past couple of years and it has been great! Very lightweight, the charge lasts for weeks if not months depending on use. USB rechargeable so I can replenish it if needed on trail from my battery bank.
It randomly goes on sale for <$25 and the normal price is around $35. It has separate buttons for red light and "normal" also has a CRI setting.

colorado_rob
11-28-2019, 10:38
I have used the Nitecore NU25 for the past couple of years and it has been great! Very lightweight, the charge lasts for weeks if not months depending on use. USB rechargeable so I can replenish it if needed on trail from my battery bank.
It randomly goes on sale for <$25 and the normal price is around $35. It has separate buttons for red light and "normal" also has a CRI setting. I've owned a gaggle of good headlamps over the decades, and I have to say this NU25 is my all time favorite, best lumens per gram as far as I can tell (with alternate UL strap) and excellent battery life, plus other nice features. We'll see how it holds up, but so far so good after about a month plus of hiking this fall.

Cheyou
11-28-2019, 10:47
Thrunite Ti3 single AAA battery flashlight with lithium batteries.

thom

Starchild
11-28-2019, 10:54
I have not found much difference in quality and experience between the high prices ones and the el-cheapo ones. As I have several I just chose the one that I can find at a particular moment.

Recalc
11-28-2019, 13:52
I've owned a gaggle of good headlamps over the decades, and I have to say this NU25 is my all time favorite, best lumens per gram as far as I can tell (with alternate UL strap) and excellent battery life, plus other nice features. We'll see how it holds up, but so far so good after about a month plus of hiking this fall.

Purchased an NU25 this summer. It was a pleasure to use. Nice headlamp for night hiking. It did everything it was supposed to do. After a couple of weeks, the headlamp started to behave erratically (unit was taken care of & never immersed in water). Next thing I knew, it wasn't working at all. My mistake was buying it from an unauthorized dealer. Thankfully, Walmart.com was receptive.

That being said, my plan is to replace the headlamp with a new NU25 because I really like this product. Nitecore does not have a big presence in the US, so it will be ordered from an authorized dealer.

capehiker
11-28-2019, 16:28
I have the second generation BD Ion and love it. The Ion was essentially written off after the first gen came out due to some design flaws but the second gen fixed those flaws and for me it’s just about perfect. All in, it weighs 1.8oz (with factory headstrap and batteries installed). It has a red light and the white light has an adjustable dimmer. You can lock the headlamp in the off position to keep it from coming on in your pack/pocket. I can get a long life off of one set of batteries, in which I don’t even carry a spare set (just use cell phone if needed).

When I compared the Ion and the Nitecore- factoring in features, price, headband comfort, and battery options, there is nothing the Nitecore can do that the Ion can’t. Saving scant ounces for more money in this category wasn’t worth it to me.

Slo-go'en
11-28-2019, 17:16
The only time I need a headlamp is in the winter, but I don't like the white light as the snow reflects it back and kills my night vision.

So I modified a headlamp by putting a high intensity Green LED in it, and made a special battery pack with electronics to varry the brightness. I have four levels of brightness to choose from depending on conditions.

fastfoxengineering
12-02-2019, 17:21
Litesmith version of the Nitecore NU25 for the AT and as my primary headlamp. Petzl AAA for nightime excursions in the White Mtns. Played with a thrunite Ti3 on a yoyo of the MSG but I like the headlamp better.

Going forward I'll continue to use the NU25 unless doing sketchy stuff or lots of night hiking is planned.

Mouser999
12-02-2019, 18:17
If you head over the Princeton Tec site, they have a promo for a free SNAP Light. All you have to do is sign up for their newsletter.
Got mine today and its bright. The box says 200 lumen but the site states 300. Its free so what?

Alex Blain-Laider
12-03-2019, 00:14
Either ThruNite TH20 headlamp or Fenix E12 handheld -both single AA flashlights.

pure_mahem
12-05-2019, 00:54
Thanks for that link. I signed up and shared it with a number of friends. Awesome!