PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Neels Gap

reiddar
03-09-2006, 20:23
I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks. So, I've got some down time between now and then. I was hoping to get out and do some backpacking for a few days. Truthfully, I haven't been out much in the last couple of years because of the job I just left. And, Ive never been farther on the AT than Springer Mt via the approach trail.

I was wondering if Springer to Neels Gap would be a good distance to "shake the cobwebs" off of the old hiking boots. How many days should it take at a leisurely pace? Has anyone used the Hiker Hostel shuttle service to SPringer or picked up at Neels Gap?

I think I might be setting out next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for any feedback.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2006, 20:26
Go for it. Take 3-4 days.

Kerosene
03-09-2006, 21:51
It's an easy series of 3, 12-mile days from Amicalola. We camped at the Hickory Flatts Cemetary, and atop Ramrock Mountain.

tiamalle
03-09-2006, 23:08
I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks. So, I've got some down time between now and then. I was hoping to get out and do some backpacking for a few days. Truthfully, I haven't been out much in the last couple of years because of the job I just left. And, Ive never been farther on the AT than Springer Mt via the approach trail.

I was wondering if Springer to Neels Gap would be a good distance to "shake the cobwebs" off of the old hiking boots. How many days should it take at a leisurely pace? Has anyone used the Hiker Hostel shuttle service to SPringer or picked up at Neels Gap?

I think I might be setting out next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for any feedback.Hiker Hostel & Shuttles are great.

Rain Man
03-10-2006, 10:30
The Springer-to-Neels Gap section was my first on the AT. Broke it up, roughly, into 8, 8, 12, and 4 mile days. Got into Neels Gap before lunch time.

Started at Springer (drove to the Forest Service road #42 the night before our start), first day hiked to Hawk Mtn shelter, next day to Gooch Mtn shelter, then to Woods Hole shelter, then out.

Here's the trip report I wrote up--

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11434

I'm just envious that you will be with thru-hike hopefuls!

Rain:sunMan