PDA

View Full Version : Fire making skills

JNI64
12-08-2019, 13:49
So I make a couple of pretty cool fire starters I'd thought I'd share. And I know it's probably been covered a thousand times but hey I'm bored. 1 is a wood match with toilet paper strips wrapped tightly then dip into wax. 2, is toilet paper roll stuffed with dryer lint, then dip into wax take and cut off what you need. 3, take a paper cupcake holder start little dryer lint, little bit sawdust or pencil shavings then pour little wax, repeat until full .that last 1 will burn for about half hour or more.

RockDoc
12-08-2019, 14:02
Nice suggestions! You can also make handy fire starters in egg containers using sawdust and wax.

Potassium permanganate and glycerine works a trick too.

ghetto-okie
12-08-2019, 15:43
We taught our girl scouts to put dryer lint "balls" in an egg carton and melt wax over them. Same principle as wood shavings. Be sure NOT to use melted wax from a candle you're burning because the scent can influence the taste of the food you cook over the fire. Don't ask me how I know :/.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2019, 16:10
Or stuff you might already have. Hand sanitizer. Olive oil. Pistachio or other nut shells.

JNI64
12-08-2019, 16:35
Or stuff you might already have. Hand sanitizer. Olive oil. Pistachio or other nut shells.

This is what I typically do. But if I'm going out for a trip say perhaps the dollysods area where certain places along red creek are always wet , or a winter trip when everything's wet frozen. I'll take some of my homemade fire starters.

JNI64
12-08-2019, 16:56
I'm actually quit pleased with the way my fire making skills have processed over the years. I'm no Bush crafter you won't find me out there rubbing 2 sticks together. But as we know after days and days of rain it can be very difficult to start a fire even with a new bic. It's just nice to have the light, warmth, cook, dry stuff.

Cheyou
12-08-2019, 17:42
I use a few Fritos. If I was in trouble I’d use an Esbit tab. I heat with a wood stove , so I get sick of fires . Off grid home.

Thom

JNI64
12-08-2019, 18:10
I've used fritos, doritos, esbit works great. Ah miss my wood stove....... ran a wood stove for 24 years alot of work but well worth it. Only had to buy wood twice in 24 years went into the woods cut, put on truck back to house , split by hand. Yeah that will keep you in shape . Source of heat , light ,glass front ,cook on . It was great for the winter when the electric went out.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2019, 19:39
So, I got to wonder. How much plastic is in dryer lint these days? Probably quite a bit.

I just melt wax onto a piece of corigated cardboard, then cut it up into strips. Used that to reliably light my backpack wood stoves.

zelph
12-09-2019, 05:12
So I make a couple of pretty cool fire starters I'd thought I'd share.

Your firestarter skills are very good. How are your fire making skills? ;-)

Traveler
12-09-2019, 07:24
After trying an assortment of homemade fire starting tools, once I discovered Vaseline and cotton balls I have never had a problem since even in very wet conditions. I treat several balls of cotton with Vaseline and keep them in a prescription pill vial with twist lock top. The treated cotton has a very long burn time and generates considerable heat that will help combustion if the right materials are used.

I think the more important point of this is what Zelph hits on, success of any fire starter tool depends on ones fire making skills, which should come first in the order of learning.

JNI64
12-09-2019, 08:21
Your firestarter skills are very good. How are your fire making skills? ;-)

Like I said they've come along ways since taking on backpacking as a new hobby about 15 years ago. Cotton ball vaseline works great and takes a spark. I remember a few years ago hiking dragons tooth area it was raining all day , got into camp everything soaking wet it was fairly early . Set my tent up and all my dry sleeping stuff and made a fire. There were several people in camp some trying to make fire but couldn't. During the day when I was taking a break under a big leaning rock there was dry tender leaves, pine needles etc, so I stuffed a big handful into a baggie and carried with me. Then it's just a matter of processing some wood down. Some came over and enjoyed my fire. :sun

TexasBob
12-09-2019, 11:51
.......once I discovered Vaseline and cotton balls I have never had a problem since even in very wet conditions. I treat several balls of cotton with Vaseline and keep them in a prescription pill vial with twist lock top. ..........

Same here, cheap, easy, works great. I keep mine in an old plastic 35mm film canister.

JPritch
12-09-2019, 19:00
This is what I typically do. But if I'm going out for a trip say perhaps the dollysods area where certain places along red creek are always wet , or a winter trip when everything's wet frozen. I'll take some of my homemade fire starters.
I'm glad you brought this up! I was at Dolly Sods two weekends ago during the snow. I carried a 2.5# Duraflame log in to assist. We even found a campsite that had a neat stack of freshly cut logs. It had rained the night before. We absolutely could not get the logs to catch fire. The Duraflame burned for a long time under the logs. Made 'em char, glow, and you could see water boiling out...but they wouldn't catch.

So any tips for actually getting the big fire going before we head out for another winter trip? I'd hate to strap 20# of Duraflame logs to my pack, but will if I have to :banana

Slo-go'en
12-09-2019, 20:16
So any tips for actually getting the big fire going before we head out for another winter trip? I'd hate to strap 20# of Duraflame logs to my pack, but will if I have to :banana

Find dryer wood?

Of course, that's easier said then done, especially in an area picked clean for a 1/4 mile in all directions. Having some Nylon strapping to bundle sticks together allows you to bring in wood for some distance from the campsite.

If I want a fire I start looking around in the woods along the trail for down limbs to gather as I get close to the shelter/campsite. But as winter progresses, the winter crop of downed limbs will start to grow and make finding wood near-by easier for a while.

Dogwood
12-09-2019, 20:47
I saw Bear Gryllis start a fire by focusing sunlight through pee in a Ziploc. Never saw that before.

JNI64
12-09-2019, 21:16
Then he drank it !!

JNI64
12-09-2019, 21:28
I'm glad you brought this up! I was at Dolly Sods two weekends ago during the snow. I carried a 2.5# Duraflame log in to assist. We even found a campsite that had a neat stack of freshly cut logs. It had rained the night before. We absolutely could not get the logs to catch fire. The Duraflame burned for a long time under the logs. Made 'em char, glow, and you could see water boiling out...but they wouldn't catch.

Ah yeah dolly sods highest platue this side of the Mississippi at 4,000 ft plus. Great diversity then you walk into pine forest and ferns 6ft tall. How about them campsites with rock chairs and couches some real hitten gems along red creek. Oh that's right fire, well you could make a couple of my cupcake fire starters and do you have a way of collecting fat wood or buy. Some of them places along red creek are like rainforests with moss growing on everything and always damp. Start layer of dry wood fire starter on top then fat wood then small stuff collected. Lay any wet wood around fire to dry. Use your sit pad for fanning the fire....

JNI64
12-09-2019, 22:00
And hell as far that goes if you're willing to carry fire logs in what about a 1lb. Propane tank and torch like us plumbers use. Hey don't laugh it would be lighter than that fire log.

Whiskyjo
12-10-2019, 01:29
I use in my pear can wood cook stove a half of a relighting birthday candle to get it started even in the worst winds. Have used them to start a fire in damp conditions also. 24 per pack cut in half gives you 48 fire starters for about 15 cents a fire. Just saying.

Traffic Jam
12-10-2019, 08:25

Yeah...I can’t figure how in the heck these people get damp wood to burn, are they magic? I’ve tried every tip that’s been suggested (and more, except the esbit and relighting birthday candles, very cool idea). I’ve also been with other hikers with better skills who also couldn’t get the wood to burn. There’s gotta be something more basic that I’m missing in my fire building skills. Are people using more flammable accelerants than hand sanitizer, Fritos, or petroleum jelly?

JNI64
12-10-2019, 09:20
I use in my pear can wood cook stove a half of a relighting birthday candle to get it started even in the worst winds. Have used them to start a fire in damp conditions also. 24 per pack cut in half gives you 48 fire starters for about 15 cents a fire. Just saying.

Them there trick candles work great like you said even in wind. I was gonna suggest wax as well, those scented wax cube things that go in them warmers and make your house smell like gingerbread, I save those there like wax chips and I'll take a baggie with a few of them sometimes.

Traffic Jam
12-10-2019, 09:26
I have some old sterno cans that I was going to toss today. Thought I might pour them into a squirt bottle to use as an accelerant. Is the ethanol likely to evaporate before I get a change to use it? They’re so old, it sounds like pure liquid inside.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2019, 10:14
Yeah...I can’t figure how in the heck these people get damp wood to burn, are they magic? I’ve tried every tip that’s been suggested (and more, except the esbit and relighting birthday candles, very cool idea). I’ve also been with other hikers with better skills who also couldn’t get the wood to burn. There’s gotta be something more basic that I’m missing in my fire building skills. Are people using more flammable accelerants than hand sanitizer, Fritos, or petroleum jelly?

It's a bit of a catch 22. The only way to get wet wood to burn is to dry it out first, which means you need a fire to begin with.

If your at a shelter with a fire ring, there is always a lot of little sticks around the front of the shelter. Use these to get the fire started. Damp wood is only damp on the outside. Shaving a bit of the outside off or "feathering" it with your knife will expose the dry part of the stick. (That's one reason why we carry a sturdy knife)

Try to find tree branches on the ground which aren't actually on the ground. If you can make the branch snap, it's dry. It might be wet or damp on the outside, but is otherwise dry.

Unless you have a way to split a log, trying to burn anything bigger then a few inches around is futile. If you can't snap it across your knee, it's too big (or too wet/green) to burn.

In the North East here, White Birch bark makes great fire starter. There never seems to be a White Birch tree near campsites, so I collect pieces during the day along the trail.

Funny story:

I did a hike on the Vermont section of the AT a few years ago in the fall. I was paced with a couple of woman who liked to heat up some Spam for dinner, so I got into the habit of making a fire for them each night. One night close to Hanover, I had a small fire going in a light rain.

A collage ordination group shows up a little before dark and set up a big tarp near-by. A little while latter two young girls (who look like they just stepped out of the mall) come over to the shelter where I'm nursing the fire and ask me "Sir, where can we find dry firewood". Being the wise guy that I can be, I answer "What? You didn't bring any with you?" The expression on their faces was priceless.

I then tried to explain the wood was only damp on the surface and to find down branches, etc., but they never did get a fire going that night.

trailmercury
12-10-2019, 10:25
this is the way I cheat:

https://www.ucogear.com/behemoth-sweetfire-match-kit-mt--behemoth

these things are basically lightweight flares, work great!

JNI64
12-10-2019, 10:29
Well said slo, and thanks you just made me spit coffee laughing . :clap

JNI64
12-10-2019, 12:22
It's a bit of a catch 22. The only way to get wet wood to burn is to dry it out first, which means you need a fire to begin with.

If your at a shelter with a fire ring, there is always a lot of little sticks around the front of the shelter. Use these to get the fire started. Damp wood is only damp on the outside. Shaving a bit of the outside off or "feathering" it with your knife will expose the dry part of the stick. (That's one reason why we carry a sturdy knife)

Try to find tree branches on the ground which aren't actually on the ground. If you can make the branch snap, it's dry. It might be wet or damp on the outside, but is otherwise dry.

Unless you have a way to split a log, trying to burn anything bigger then a few inches around is futile. If you can't snap it across your knee, it's too big (or too wet/green) to burn.

In the North East here, White Birch bark makes great fire starter. There never seems to be a White Birch tree near campsites, so I collect pieces during the day along the trail.

Funny story:

I did a hike on the Vermont section of the AT a few years ago in the fall. I was paced with a couple of woman who liked to heat up some Spam for dinner, so I got into the habit of making a fire for them each night. One night close to Hanover, I had a small fire going in a light rain.

A collage ordination group shows up a little before dark and set up a big tarp near-by. A little while latter two young girls (who look like they just stepped out of the mall) come over to the shelter where I'm nursing the fire and ask me "Sir, where can we find dry firewood". Being the wise guy that I can be, I answer "What? You didn't bring any with you?" The expression on their faces was priceless.

I then tried to explain the wood was only damp on the surface and to find down branches, etc., but they never did get a fire going that night.

This works great in most places. But if you're going in area like the dolly sods or a rainforest for a week it can be quit the challenge. We've done the 30 mile loop and we've hiked in 5 miles or so with a tipi sized pack 90lbs , to a hidden gem of a camp along red creek we had for the whole week to ourselves . Only saw 2 people all week . But anyway you can say not have a fire but it's nice to have.

JNI64
12-10-2019, 12:22

Funny story:

This works great in most places. But if you're going in area like the dolly sods or a rainforest for a week it can be quit the challenge. We've done the 30 mile loop and we've hiked in 5 miles or so with a tipi sized pack 90lbs , to a hidden gem of a camp along red creek we had for the whole week to ourselves . Only saw 2 people all week . But anyway you can say not have a fire but it's nice to have.

peakbagger
12-10-2019, 12:23
There used to a junior Maine Guide program in Maine (may still be). The students would be given a hand ax, a match, a string and 4' pine log. The 4' pine log would be sitting in the lake and had been for several hours before the event. The competition was the person who lit a fire from the log and burnt the string was the winner. They were not allowed to scrounge tinder, it all had to come off the log. When I was a scout if we were on a campout out in the woods and it rained one of the leaders would drag us out in the rain and have a competition on who could get fire going first. It was mostly a way of keeping us occupied but definitely honed our skills.

If in fir and spruce I find it has to be really wet for quite a few days before the dead twigs sticking out of trunk get wet. I got a box of US Army ration heaters called trioxane years ago they seem to be close buy not identical to the Hexamine used in Esbit stove but I have heard of folks using it as substitute, They are in heavy foil wrap and make great fire starters as they burn for several minutes and can dry out tinder. I keep one in the bottom of my pack along with a spare headlamp and satellite beacon for when it really hits the fan.

Of course up north we have white birch. It will burn hot even when damp. If I know I am going to have a campfire I usually look for some loose bark prior to getting to the campsite. Using white birch is one step away from pouring gas on a fire. Its waterproof and is also useful for putting under a fire that is being built on top of the snow. I usually lay down some larger sticks across the snow and finish up with the birch bark then build the fire on top of it. At one point it will flare off but buy then the fire is going. The local scouts used to go winter hiking around the local woods and I would usually bring hot dogs. At some point we would stop and then scouts needed to start fires on the snow and cook the hot dogs on sticks. Most of them figured out the birch bark trick pretty quick.

JNI64
12-10-2019, 12:29
Wanted to add as far as breaking the bigger pieces you can utilize 2 trees growing close together stick the long wood through the 2 trees add push or pull to snap.

JPritch
12-10-2019, 12:41
Good stuff guys. I think we're heading up to Grayson Highlands for some snow action before long, so hopefully this greater awareness of fire building will come in handy.

TexasBob
12-10-2019, 12:49

These work great. I have used them when car camping. Each starter is 2"x 1"x 0.5" weigh 0.6oz each--- much lighter than a Duraflame log!!!!. They burn hot for at least 15 minutes. I have started fires in damp conditions with them.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/duraflame-firestart-CUBES-Firelighters-18pk/610531368

JNI64
12-10-2019, 13:05
Fire is a hot topic.......

JPritch
12-10-2019, 16:23
I too am de-lighted by this thread. It was truly a match to the gaps in my knowledge. Well done.

Traffic Jam
12-10-2019, 19:48
Come on baby, light my fire.

:)

Traffic Jam
12-10-2019, 19:51
I found this striker that I bought many years ago. It shaves something, maybe magnesium? then makes a spark. It seems to work really well (sparks very easily) and I can’t wait to try it.

(I burned my thumb multiple times recently when using a bic lighter...trying over and over to light my new Inferno.)

Dogwood
12-10-2019, 19:52
Having multiple ways including using knowledge of local materials helps. Practicing beforehand helps. Taking survival classes helps. Ever notice on some of the Survival Shows "survivalists" seeming like they are attempting to start a fire lighting as Newbs? This is yet another skill set building ability that surprisingly few hikers possess.

Traffic Jam
12-10-2019, 20:02
Having multiple ways including using knowledge of local materials helps. Practicing beforehand helps. Taking survival classes helps. Ever notice on some of the Survival Shows "survivalists" seeming like they are attempting to start a fire lighting as Newbs? This is yet another skill set building ability that surprisingly few hikers possess.

It infuriates me. I’m not a newbie. I understand the principals of starting a fire and I’ve practiced many times in different conditions using many techniques. I’ve read and watched videos. I ain’t stupid but can’t make a fire unless it’s summer and there’s a burn ban.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2019, 20:19
It infuriates me. I’m not a newbie. I understand the principals of starting a fire and I’ve practiced many times in different conditions using many techniques. I’ve read and watched videos. I ain’t stupid but can’t make a fire unless it’s summer and there’s a burn ban.

When all else fails, I toss some of my stove alcohol in there and that gets it going for sure :) You still need reasonably dry tinder though.

Traffic Jam
12-10-2019, 20:36
The reason it’s so important to me is because I am striving to become a competent winter backpacker. And I will never forget Another Kevin’s story about falling in the river in the Daks, having to strip out of his wet clothes, and making a fire to keep from freezing to death. I want to be that competent...as competent as that clueless weekender. :)

JNI64
12-10-2019, 21:13
I found this striker that I bought many years ago. It shaves something, maybe magnesium? then makes a spark. It seems to work really well (sparks very easily) and I can’t wait to try it.

(I burned my thumb multiple times recently when using a bic lighter...trying over and over to light my new Inferno.)

Yes your little piece of hack saw blade is for shaving magnesium. Which takes alot of practice, take a piece of paper and shave off a nice lil pile, bb size to pee size pile of magnesium. You have to have your fire bundle right next to your magnesium as its really hot but only lasts a couple seconds. To be honest you'd be better off with the vaseline cotton balls as they take a spark..

Traffic Jam
12-10-2019, 21:22
Yes your little piece of hack saw blade is for shaving magnesium. Which takes alot of practice, take a piece of paper and shave off a nice lil pile, bb size to pee size pile of magnesium. You have to have your fire bundle right next to your magnesium as its really hot but only lasts a couple seconds. To be honest you'd be better off with the vaseline cotton balls as they take a spark..

Yeah, I carry the petroleum jelly-dipped cotton balls in my FAK in winter. Not that they do me any good. If nothing else, they keep my lips from getting chapped cuz I rub my fingers on my lips after trying to start a fire.

JNI64
12-10-2019, 21:39
I could be totally off base, excuse me if I am but it kinda sounds like maybe you don't have the proper fire bundle to get the small stuff going? Are you able to get that far, getting your fire bundle started but not able to build from there?

Kittyslayer
12-10-2019, 22:20
Been successful with cotton balls and Vaseline. Also with dryer lint and Vaseline.

Would Neosporine ointment be a workable substitute for Vaseline?

A bit expensive but in an emergency be able to use items you have in your pack is good. I can raid my first aid kit and use it with some belly button lint. Have some expired ointment I should test with a cotton ball.

JNI64
12-11-2019, 00:16
Been successful with cotton balls and Vaseline. Also with dryer lint and Vaseline.

Would Neosporine ointment be a workable substitute for Vaseline?

A bit expensive but in an emergency be able to use items you have in your pack is good. I can raid my first aid kit and use it with some belly button lint. Have some expired ointment I should test with a cotton ball.

:-? Um huh interesting. Please do and let us know.

JNI64
12-11-2019, 00:19
How about char cloth ? Anybody out there making their own and using it ?

JNI64
12-11-2019, 01:56
Just got finished watching the crazyrussianhacker on YouTube go through the 20 cheapest camping gadgets from Walmart and the first 10 were dealing with fire starting. Pretty interesting watching I think the fire paste is kinda interesting. Give it a look see , good video he demonstrates everything.

pure_mahem
12-11-2019, 04:18
I used to carry a small pill bottle stuffed with PJ Cotton Balls. They worked well but I dont carry them anymore. I carry a few cotton balls in a plastic baggy to use as a prefilter on my Sawyer Squeeze and I always carry some type of chap stick right so if need be the ingredients are there they just need to be combined. Cotton Balls work pretty darn well on their own the vaseline is just an extender.

I've also for a long time carried a credit card sized piece of birch bark in my wallet. If you take your knife and scrape it a lil bit after collecting it to remove the loose flakey parts off of it, you can actually submerge it in water for days. Pull it out pat it off and it will immediately take a flame and burn.

I like using a small ferro rod whenever I can to start my fires. But I always carry at least one Full Size Bic usually 2. for the difference in weight if your fingers are cold the Full Size Bic is just easier to use.

UL Hikers will think I'm nuts but I also carry Flares. I carry a small 5 minute Flare basically 3 seasons. When Winter comes I will trade it out for a 20 minute Road Flare.

In conjunction with this I also carry a SOL 2 person Mylar Blanket and a Clear Drum Liner for use as an emergency shelter. Google Super Shelter by Mors Kochanski if you need more information on this. In the coldest of winter you can put one of these up and have a shelter that is 80 degrees inside if you can get a fire going outside of it. Maybe thats just the New Englander in me being prepared for Cold Weather.

My outdoor activities are not on the AT I'm in the backcountry a lot and may not always be on trail.

grubbster
12-11-2019, 09:04
I've seen people mention using birch bark for starting fires up north, but down south the best thing I have found is hemlock. The still attached dead branches of those trees will catch and burn even when very wet. They contain oils or resin that is very flammable.

cneill13
12-11-2019, 10:14
I take a smoothie straw (larger than regular straw) and cut it into three equal pieces. I then take my wife's makeup pads which are round, flat cotton pads and rub both sides in petroleum jelly. I then roll up the pad like a burrito and push into a straw part with needle nose pliers. I use the needle nose to hold each straw end close and then melt it closed with a lighter.

They are extremely light, not messy and will burn for 7 minutes. I have never had trouble lighting a fire with these.

Traffic Jam
12-11-2019, 19:32
I could be totally off base, excuse me if I am but it kinda sounds like maybe you don't have the proper fire bundle to get the small stuff going? Are you able to get that far, getting your fire bundle started but not able to build from there?
My problem is the initial flame. I can get my fire starter to produce a flame but the twigs/leaves/moss I choose only smolder, glow, and turn to ash but never actually get hot enough to produce a flame, allowing me to proceed to the next step and add larger wood. Once my fire starter has burned and extinguished, I start again until I’ve run out of fire starters and I’ve flipped the bic so often, my thumb is burned.

This problem with fire making is a thorn in my side. I’ve scheduled many trips with the only goal being to make a successful fire, which I always fail. It burns me up, no pun intended. :). How can I suck so bad at this?

So I buy the Inferno, thinking, “This is going to solve all my problems!”. I’m so excited and plan a short day hike in the Smokies with the intention to practice...only to spend over an hour working on the effing thing and failing, leaving with a burned thumb. So frustrating.

fiddlehead
12-11-2019, 20:46
Yeah, all this talk about fire starter aids but no one talking about firewood.
Of course it's easy to build a fire when it's been dry for the past week or so.
(doesn't happen often on the AT, at least in the spring)
So, here's a few tricks I learned in the boyscouts:
When gathering firewood, if it doesn't snap, don't take it back to camp. Must be good and dead to snap in 2.
Build your fire either teepee style or build squares up like a pyramid. (or a small teepee inside the squares.
Leave some air space in there.
Gather all your different sizes of firewood and have them ready to add as the fire gets going.
Remember: dry is best.
So, how to find dry after a good rain?
First place I look is inside rotting, dead trees. Look for holes and find the good stuff inside.
If you carry a pocketknife, you can whittle away the wet, outside layers to get to the good stuff inside of your sticks that snap in 2.
Split them with a knife too. (i'm talking the kindling here)
Yes, white birch bark will burn when wet.
So will small branches of pine trees near the bottom. (very small)
Sassafras makes very good kindling. (even when slightly wet)

If you are going to use your fire to cook, try the way the porters in Nepal do it with 3 large rocks spaced apart.
build your fire in the middle, use the 3 rocks to support your pot and use the spaces between the rocks to slide in long pieces of firewood.
Adjust those sticks as you go and you can control the heat easily.
I have a picture of this somewhere. I'll try to find it.
Have patience and get everything ready before you light that match (or lighter, or flint and steel or whatever you are using for flame on)

Kittyslayer
12-11-2019, 21:00
Gather all your different sizes of firewood and have them ready to add as the fire gets going.

Have patience and get everything ready before you light that match (or lighter, or flint and steel or whatever you are using for flame on)

And when gathering your firewood get about three times as much as you think you need, especially the small kindling stuff.

Slo-go'en
12-11-2019, 21:17
Starting a fire, and keeping it going, in a damp climate like the GSMNP is a challenge. You need a fire starter which will burn for a long time and prep the wood so it catches quicker. Which means shaving the wet layer off with a knife or other implement of destruction.

It might be helpful to practice at home with dry wood under ideal conditions.

JNI64
12-11-2019, 21:35
My problem is the initial flame. I can get my fire starter to produce a flame but the twigs/leaves/moss I choose only smolder, glow, and turn to ash but never actually get hot enough to produce a flame, allowing me to proceed to the next step and add larger wood. Once my fire starter has burned and extinguished, I start again until I’ve run out of fire starters and I’ve flipped the bic so often, my thumb is burned.

This problem with fire making is a thorn in my side. I’ve scheduled many trips with the only goal being to make a successful fire, which I always fail. It burns me up, no pun intended. :). How can I suck so bad at this?

So I buy the Inferno, thinking, “This is going to solve all my problems!”. I’m so excited and plan a short day hike in the Smokies with the intention to practice...only to spend over an hour working on the effing thing and failing, leaving with a burned thumb. So frustrating.

Ok I have a couple minutes at work. I'm glad your back let's figure this shart out. I'll probably repeat a lil what's already been said but once you get your fire bundle glowing and red like you say it probably just needs oxygen at that point blow on it to produce flames. And like said by others have plenty of small dry stuff available. Look at a bird's nest perfect fire bundle. From there you can add wood or already have a tipi style fire set up open on one side and stick your fire bundle in there. Do you have a place to practice at home? And maybe a longer running fire starter like my cupcake fire starters burns half hour or more.

JNI64
12-11-2019, 22:10
Just got finished watching the crazyrussianhacker on YouTube go through the 20 cheapest camping gadgets from Walmart and the first 10 were dealing with fire starting. Pretty interesting watching I think the fire paste is kinda interesting. Give it a look see , good video he demonstrates everything.

And I would strongly recommend watching this. This guys pretty good

Dogwood
12-11-2019, 23:23

Good rant. You're burned up about not being able to burn. :p

Lichen and moss can make good fire starters on the AT. They burn when drenched with rain. Some fungi and the inner bark shavings of white birch trees can be dry too. Shave the undersides of shelf or Hen of the Woods fungi which can be dry inside. Best I saw was someone pull lint from their belly button or between their toes and start a fire.

JNI64
12-12-2019, 00:05
Fiddling with fire fun.

JNI64
12-12-2019, 00:15
Good rant. You're burned up about not being able to burn. :p

Lichen and moss can make good fire starters on the AT. They burn when drenched with rain. Some fungi and the inner bark shavings of white birch trees can be dry too. Shave the undersides of shelf or Hen of the Woods fungi which can be dry inside. Best I saw was someone pull lint from their belly button or between their toes and start a fire.

That's impressive and disgusting at the same time .

JNI64
12-12-2019, 00:18
Now don't forget about fat wood, really great to get fires going good sappy fat wood. Not familiar youtube.

JNI64
12-12-2019, 09:45
I just got finished watching shugs last video, a 2 nighter and funny he usually doesn't have a fire, this time he does and i think he said it took him 45 minutes to get it going . But my point is he was utilizing a extendable blow tube to concentrate the forced air directly into the coals , close. Ole shug always educational and entertaining.

pure_mahem
12-13-2019, 06:04
Try the lessons on fire here they may help. https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/bushclass-index.27234/

MtDoraDave
12-13-2019, 08:48
I usually bring the cotton balls in vaseline when it's cold out, but use them more often on my fingers and lips that get dried out than I do for fire starter.
When I have failed to get a fire going in the past, it's usually because of a lack of kindling; I try to go straight from tinder to larger pieces of wood. remember: kindling, then tinder, then small pieces of wood, then larger pieces of wood - stack the wet/damp wood around the edge of your little fire until you need it, this helps dry it out a bit. And don't smother it. Putting too much wood on the fire too soon will prevent it from getting enough oxygen to burn.

All that said, I'm not the most LNT person on this website, but I try...and a lot of what's mentioned in this thread makes me cringe.

I learned about breaking the larger pieces of limb between two close trees when I was in boy scouts, also just swinging it like baseball bat at a single tree - but on the AT, you're not supposed to pick up any piece of wood larger than your wrist, so these methods (which damage trees) aren't necessary. And, of course, you aren't supposed to break any dead limbs off of trees or cut any trees or limbs with a saw, axe, machete, etc, only pick up small dead branches that have fallen. The larger ones are supposed to become part of the forest ecology.

I rarely make a fire on the AT any more. Trying to make a fire to get warm usually just gets me wetter and colder than I would be if I just crawled into my sleeping bag.

Five Tango
12-13-2019, 10:53
I've seen forest fires before.I've never built a fire on public land and really have no intention of doing so for a lot of reasons which would include liability if something goes wrong,allergy to smoke,and the the same reason listed in the prior post,it's easier to wrap up and go to bed because making fire in cold wet conditions is too much effort.

I would be interested in learning how to heat oneself safely with a survival candle but so many of the items we use are potentially flammable that it could be risky although it would be a good skill to have in an emergency.

HooKooDooKu
12-13-2019, 11:11
How about char cloth ? Anybody out there making their own and using it ?
Wouldn't char cloth be a replacement for a magnesium strip?

I ask because up to the point this comment was made, most of the suggestions have been for something like vaseline-cotton-balls which would be used as a replacement for tinder wouldn't it?

CalebJ
12-13-2019, 11:15
Several years ago I picked up a box of fire starters at a local grocery store when they were on sale. There were probably 20 or so foil pouches inside that couldn't have weighed a fraction of an ounce each. You just lit a corner of the pouch and whatever the contents were, they burned for a good 5 minutes or so. Enough to make fire starting easy under virtually any conditions. I finally used the last of them and would love to grab a replacement set. Anybody know what I'm referring to? I couldn't come up with it in a quick search. These things lasted forever and were basically waterproof so I just kept a couple in my pack at all times for years until I went through the last of them.

Edit - something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VCS79LQ/

I remember them being less than $10 for a smaller box. Cheap enough that I didn't bother with DIY firestarters for a very long time.

JNI64
12-13-2019, 11:19
Try the lessons on fire here they may help. https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/bushclass-index.27234/

Thanks, alot of good stuff in there. Scrolling down the site reminds me I haven't made bannock in a long time. I like the wrap down a stick method with some honey, yum.... next trip out......

JNI64
12-13-2019, 12:19
Wouldn't char cloth be a replacement for a magnesium strip?

I ask because up to the point this comment was made, most of the suggestions have been for something like vaseline-cotton-balls which would be used as a replacement for tinder wouldn't it?

That's correct, smell the flannel cooking don't leave it in to long. I was successful at it a few times. It's more challenging then the magnesium as char cloth will take a spark then glow red spot that goes into your fire bundle blowing on it to create flame. The magnesium is much easier pick a big dead leaf scrape magnesium onto the leaf and strike whalla fire..

Five Tango
12-13-2019, 12:31
Several years ago I picked up a box of fire starters at a local grocery store when they were on sale. There were probably 20 or so foil pouches inside that couldn't have weighed a fraction of an ounce each. You just lit a corner of the pouch and whatever the contents were, they burned for a good 5 minutes or so. Enough to make fire starting easy under virtually any conditions. I finally used the last of them and would love to grab a replacement set. Anybody know what I'm referring to? I couldn't come up with it in a quick search. These things lasted forever and were basically waterproof so I just kept a couple in my pack at all times for years until I went through the last of them.

Edit - something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VCS79LQ/

I remember them being less than $10 for a smaller box. Cheap enough that I didn't bother with DIY firestarters for a very long time.

You could go to Amazon and get Landmann firestarters.24 for about $16 so the ones in your post are the better deal.OR,you could go to a kid's birthday party and ask for the left over candles,Plus you get left over cake icing as a bonus! (I do carry birthday candles just in case I should need a fire in an emergency)

CalebJ
12-13-2019, 13:06
I think the landmann product is what I got last time. Thanks!

Five Tango
12-13-2019, 14:48
This guy makes it look EASY! However,I note he burned the Ziplock bag in the firepit.In liew of a cooler lid maybe hikers could get by with a sit pad to fan with.Still looks like more trouble than it's worth to collect all that material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoOpUR2bPiE

JNI64
12-13-2019, 16:10
Hey, happy holidays everybody keep the home fires burning and love the one your with. Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and please keep them coming. So happy this threads getting more responses than these stupid :banana

402outdoors
01-14-2020, 18:50
We did a trial of a few fire starting option on video the other day. Still find cotton rounds covered in Wax guarantees my ability to start a fire in any condition.

Here is a link if interested.

https://youtu.be/cv-akCocn9A

The Cleaner
01-15-2020, 18:30
When building your campfire the species of wood you choose to gather is important too. During rainy and cold weather Hemlock and Mountain Laurel (dead) will be dry on the inside. Downed trees with limbs off the ground are a good choice too. Since I'm an arborist, I'm spot on at choosing wood. A well built campfire should burn completely leaving only fine ashes. Leaving a firepit half full of unburned wood is a bit unsightly and makes it hard to remove unburned trash.

cmoulder
01-16-2020, 10:33
A little twist on the PJCB (petroleum jelly cotton ball) is to wrap them individually in waxed paper, kinda like saltwater taffy, and keep 'em in a ziploc. The trick when making them is to not totally saturate them, so that there are some dry cotton fibers remaining that can be started with a ferro rod. Or just light the waxed paper with a match and you're off to the races.

JNI64
01-16-2020, 10:48
A little twist on the PJCB (petroleum jelly cotton ball) is to wrap them individually in waxed paper, kinda like saltwater taffy, and keep 'em in a ziploc. The trick when making them is to not totally saturate them, so that there are some dry cotton fibers remaining that can be started with a ferro rod. Or just light the waxed paper with a match and you're off to the races.

Awesome idea, keeps them separated from sticking together. And the wax paper another accelerant. I just have to remember not to confuse them with my salt water taffy, as i throw 1 in my mouth trying to get up a big mountain!

Traveler
01-17-2020, 10:17
I am constantly amazed at the performance cotton balls with vaseline deliver. I've not seen anything better or less expensive.