PDA

View Full Version : Hey Disabled Vets - Here's a great deal

ldsailor
12-26-2019, 13:43
I know there are some veterans that lurk here, and if any of these vets are classified as disabled, this might be of interest. According to this blog on a VA site, Disabled Veterans are eligible for free National Park Service Lifetime Access Pass. Looks like something worth having, so I'm going to go ahead and apply. Below is the link to the blog with info on how to apply.

Free National Park Service Lifetime Access Pass (https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/60590/disabled-veterans-eligible-free-national-park-service-lifetime-access-pass/)

Nanatuk
12-27-2019, 00:37
Thanks, I'll send the link to my BIL. he will appreciate it.

perrymk
12-27-2019, 08:31
I actually received mine about a month ago. I have a 10% rating. Have your paperwork ready (VA acceptance letter, etc.) and as I recall a $10 processing fee.

As an aside, I also have a lifetime Florida State Parks Pass, also free. Although it has to be renewed every ten years as there isn't a separate card for lifetime. The standard Florida State Parks pass has ten years marked on it, with the expiration year punched out. So disabled vets get the last year on the card punched out, then have to get a new one. Still no cost and not a big deal. At least that's how it's worked for me.

Tremor
12-27-2019, 10:32
Yes this pass is out there , It's called the America the Beautiful pass and is free to disabled vets . I am not sure what the minimum VA rating is . I am 100% through the VA .Also most states have passes for their residents . Here in NY it is called the lifetime liberty pass . a google search will get you more info than I have . I used it at Shenandoah NP saved $30 each time . good 97% of National Parks .

Maui Rhino
12-29-2019, 18:34
I was recently discussing this pass with a local NPS ranger. He assured me that even as a veteran with a non-service related disability, I can still get a free pass. I just need to bring the letter from my Work Comp judgement, along with my photo ID and DD214. I haven't gone up to the park with my paperwork yet, but I plan to.

orthofingers
12-29-2019, 18:56
I got mine today because of this thread. I went to a National historical site with my documentation and was out of there in 3 minutes with my new lifetime card and there was no $10 processing fee. Thanks for posting this.

ldsailor
12-30-2019, 12:14
I got mine today because of this thread. I went to a National historical site with my documentation and was out of there in 3 minutes with my new lifetime card and there was no $10 processing fee. Thanks for posting this.
You're welcome. I'm glad some vets can take advantage of this. It can sure come in handy while hiking or just visiting parks and sites.

pure_mahem
12-30-2019, 19:47
This isn't just for Vets. Any Disabled American is eligible for a Lifetime Access Pass. All you have to to do is bring one of the forms of proof to an issuing park. I just showed them my benefits letter and they gave me a pass took less than 2 minutes.

zelph
12-30-2019, 22:40
A big"thank you for your service" to all the vets that have posted here. Thank you!

trailmercury
12-31-2019, 18:18
A big"thank you for your service" to all the vets that have posted here. Thank you!

+1
Thank you for your service!

JNI64
12-31-2019, 19:39

Yes indeed thank you so much for your sacrifices and service!!

Part-Time
01-10-2020, 00:18
You can can also get them at the main gate at certain parks. I just brought my VA paperwork and they processed it right there and handed me my card.