PDA

View Full Version : Azalea blooms

Anne
02-16-2003, 11:54
My mom is planning to visit me on my thru-hike this year around the last week of April/first week of May. A rough estimate puts myself and my partner around Damascus Va at this time.

Does anyone know if this is a feasible time to see rhodo and azalea blooms in this area? Also if anyone knows of any must see sights/day hikes around this area for her.

Thanks, Anne

Hikerhead
02-16-2003, 12:07
She could go to Grayson Highlands State Park just up from Damascus. Depending on how far she wants to hike, she could hike up Massey's Gap only about a mile from the parking lot and she'll most likely see the ponies. Or, if you two timed it right, she could meet up with you at the Thomas Knob shelter which is about 3 or 3 1/2 miles from the parking lot.

Jeff
02-16-2003, 12:34
You and your Mom can rent bikes in Damascus. They then shuttle you up the VA Creeper Trail and you coast downhill 16 miles back into town. It is quite a scenic area.

I think you are about one month too early for the rhodo and azalea blooms

MOWGLI
02-16-2003, 12:37
You'll see Rhododendron & Flame Azalea around that time frame in Southern VA, and right through May. Lots & lots of Mountain Laurel too (in the Rhody family). Hampton, TN might be a nice place for her to meet you. The trail just north of Kincora Hostel is one of the prettiest you'll find along the entire trail. Laurel Creek & Laurel Creek Falls. Wow! It is extraordinarily picturesque. Hope that helps.

Of course, Mt Rodgers is incredible too. That is not the best place to see Rhododendron however.

Redbeard
02-16-2003, 12:55
I know Rhodo's and MTN Laurel, what does Azalea look like? Unfortuneatly they all give me a headache, but that's what Psuedefed and Exedrin are for...

MOWGLI
02-16-2003, 12:56
Here are some photos of difeent types of Azalea;

http://smokyphotos.com/photo434.htm

Redbeard
02-16-2003, 13:13
Thanks, now I won't feel so much like a clueless flatlander.:rolleyes:

TJ aka Teej
02-16-2003, 14:55
Great tips - seeing the ponies, biking the Creeper Trail. And this part of the Trail is glorious:

Originally posted by TNJED
You'll see Rhododendron & Flame Azalea around that time frame in Southern VA, and right through May. Lots & lots of Mountain Laurel too (in the Rhody family). Hampton, TN might be a nice place for her to meet you. The trail just north of Kincora Hostel is one of the prettiest you'll find along the entire trail. Laurel Creek & Laurel Creek Falls. Wow! It is extraordinarily picturesque.

If you can, keep your options open until a few weeks before she meets up with you. You'll have a much better idea of exactly when you'll be where by then!
have a great hike!