PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Footware

haffy6
03-11-2006, 10:20
Wasn't sure where to address this question so I guess I'll start here and someone will let me know the correct place to ask I'm sure. What is the most common type of hiking footware that is in use today? Probably will never hike the AT but am starting to do some better all day hikes and possibly some overnighters at some time in the future and was wondering what the better hiking boots are being worn now. Thanks Haffy :-?

sleepwalker
03-11-2006, 11:13
I'm a huge Asolo fan, but thats because they fit my feet so well. You may be different. But I've owned a half a dozen pairs and I loved them all. Very well made, excellent waterproofing and lightweight(if you stay away from the TPS line). Anyhow, asolo-usa.com.

Peaks
03-11-2006, 18:00
It's not important what other brands people wear. What's important is what brand of footwear fits your feet the best.

Having said that, the trend is towards lighter footwear. The traditional all leather hiking boot, like Limmers, isn't used too much anymore. For light loads, like day hiking, many use a trail runner shoe. That's a good place to start. And, if you do begin backpacking with heavier loads, then look for a more substantial shoe to support your feet.

blindeye
03-11-2006, 22:18
ditto peaks

Ridge
03-11-2006, 22:53
If you have a nearby REI go there and try everything on they have and use their socks and liners, if you don't have any. Footwear is probably the number 2 item you need to be concerned about. Your sleeping bag is number 1. Do a search on boots, socks, etc. you'll find all the info you need.

fiddlehead
03-11-2006, 22:54
Trail Runners that fit you! whatever brand that takes is the right one. Try to buy them at least one size too big as your feet will flatten out and get bigger. tight shoes cause blisters.

Rambler
03-15-2006, 14:56
I, too, am a trail runners fan. Google LL Bean Cresta boot for a popular traditional-type boot that fits a variety of feet.

RockyTrail
03-15-2006, 15:39
This is one area a good outfitter makes ALL the difference.
I know, it's not necessarily the cheapest way to buy, but it's really, really worth it! Especially for footwear.

Find someone at a top-line outfitter who knows how to select a boot/shoe to fit YOUR feet, it's not obvious to the un-initiated. If they don't seem to know, go somewhere else. It really doesn't matter if your buddy has one brand, feet are often different, so just get whatever fits YOU the best. Don't get "sold" on a particular brand/model before you go to the store, it may be totally inappropriate for you. Your feet will thank you.

Seeker
03-15-2006, 17:37
the two best pairs of boots i ever owned were an expensive pair of Hi-Tecs and a $12 pair of payless shoes' "Rugged Outback" brand boots... both fit well, both ended up with hundreds of miles on them spanning several years of use...

i'm currently trying to break in a new (different model than before) pair of HiTecs, and i'm not doing too well... the right foot (my bigger foot) fits fine. the left one is giving me a little trouble... i may have to ditch them... not worth the pain...

so, go with what fits...

Skidsteer
03-15-2006, 19:00
the two best pairs of boots i ever owned were an expensive pair of Hi-Tecs and a $12 pair of payless shoes' "Rugged Outback" brand boots... both fit well, both ended up with hundreds of miles on them spanning several years of use...

i'm currently trying to break in a new (different model than before) pair of HiTecs, and i'm not doing too well... the right foot (my bigger foot) fits fine. the left one is giving me a little trouble... i may have to ditch them... not worth the pain...

so, go with what fits...

Man, this is a longshot but...if your Hi-tecs are V-lites and you by some obscure chance wear size 12, then PM me before you ditch them.

Seeker
03-15-2006, 19:59
nope... sorry... 10.5 (left is 10.4 :D )

and i won't ditch them... they're good enough for yard boots...

Skidsteer
03-15-2006, 20:08
nope... sorry... 10.5 (left is 10.4 :D )

and i won't ditch them... they're good enough for yard boots...

Rats! I'd have to cut my toes off to fit in 10.5's...:-?

fiddlehead
03-15-2006, 23:21
This is one area a good outfitter makes ALL the difference.
I know, it's not necessarily the cheapest way to buy, but it's really, really worth it! Especially for footwear.

Find someone at a top-line outfitter who knows how to select a boot/shoe to fit YOUR feet, it's not obvious to the un-initiated. If they don't seem to know, go somewhere else. It really doesn't matter if your buddy has one brand, feet are often different, so just get whatever fits YOU the best. Don't get "sold" on a particular brand/model before you go to the store, it may be totally inappropriate for you. Your feet will thank you.

Sorry, i can't agree. When i finished the PCT in 96, my girlfriend at the time got a job with REI in the shoe dept. She tried to put people into lightweight shoes and got repremanded for it and almost fired. They told her to sell the high end leather big hiking boots for $200+ She quit soon afterwards. I would recommend (again) making your own choices.

ob juan
07-08-2006, 09:13
Here's my concern, I've never owned a pair of gortex lined boots before, always had straight leather. I happened to get a pair that was an exceptional fit at an exceptional price. How do I condition the leather, or do I just leave it alone?

Skidsteer
07-08-2006, 09:36
Here's my concern, I've never owned a pair of gortex lined boots before, always had straight leather. I happened to get a pair that was an exceptional fit at an exceptional price. How do I condition the leather, or do I just leave it alone?

Find out what the manufacurer of your boot recommends. Different types of leather need different types of conditioning/waterproofing(water-based, oil, wax, etc.).

kyhipo
07-08-2006, 11:54
I bought hi-tech vlites at the goodwill purtnear bran new,and they were just fine!I have wore them before!, I got about 800miles out of mt last pair.ky

coldspring
07-08-2006, 13:12
I took an old pair of Adidas trail shoes, low tops, and started using them for river shoes. I thought they were worn out since they soles are half gone and falling apart, but I took off hiking through the forest and they still blow away my new New Balance 809s, even with creek gravel in them. Oh, what I would give for a new pair. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I'm going to try some more Adidas next time.

Spock
07-09-2006, 22:21
Every shoe model fits differently and everyone has different feet. Almost anyone who has been doing this for a while has a favorite - and I guarantee it is only an accident if someone else's favorite will work for you.

Only Limmer will make a boot to your exact feet. And Limmers, although very good are generally considered way too heavy these days. Me, I use the lightest runners I can find. Now using Nike Free Trail 5.0s which are not supposed to be for backpacking at all. Try things out and wear them around the store for an hour - at the end of the day - when your feet have spread - before deciding. If ANYTHING feels off, try something else.

gumball
07-10-2006, 05:27
I wear Adidas Trail Runners, but I keep my pack weight at or below 30 lbs...no boots for me. But that's what works for me. When I have worn boots, Lowas work well. You have to find what fits you, everyone has different feet!

icemanat95
07-10-2006, 10:42
Fit is MUCH more important than ANY other factor. A shoe or boot that has all the features you want, but doesn't fit right, will make your hiking experience a horror and can do permanent damage to your feet.