PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian chili recipe

devoidapop
01-15-2020, 17:39
I made this chili the other day and decide to try dehydrating it in my air fryer. I tore up yellow corn tortillas and added them before dehydrating. Stale cornbread would work too.

Steep 9 large chilis(I like a mix of california, new mexico, and guajillo) in hot water for 45 minutes. Roughly chop 1 large sweet potato, 1 onion, and 2 poblano peppers. Toss veggies with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 375 for 1 hour, tossing every 20 minutes. When peppers are hydrated, combine oil, garlic, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, and cumin seeds in a blender. Blend to paste then add the water from hydrated peppers and blend again. Strain liquids in to a large pot. Throw solids away. Add 2 cups veggie stock, 28oz canned tomatoes, 1 cinnamon stick, and 2 bay leaves to pot. Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook for and hour. Add roasted veggies, and beans of your choice. I used garbanzo, northern, and pinto beans. Simmer low and covered for a couple of hours. If you really like that cocoa taste, use food grade cocoa butter instead of cooking oil.

I dehydrated at 150 for 8 hours.

Tipi Walter
01-15-2020, 18:12
Thanks for the work and post.

I dry up alot of vegetarian chili too but I'm lazy and use Amy's stuff---

devoidapop
01-15-2020, 18:40

I dry up alot of vegetarian chili too but I'm lazy and use Amy's stuff---

I figured you for a slow food kinda guy. Lol

Dogwood
01-16-2020, 02:07
TU DP. Now, I know you can use an air fryer to dehydrate. I dont have one but have access to one. Liked the cinnamon addition to chili! Isn't it a tasty addition to chili? Also appreciated the rec "use food grade cocoa butter instead of cooking oil." Did the substitution result in a slight cocoa flavor or fattiness mouth feel to the chili?

devoidapop
01-16-2020, 07:43
TU DP. Now, I know you can use an air fryer to dehydrate. I dont have one but have access to one. Liked the cinnamon addition to chili! Isn't it a tasty addition to chili? Also appreciated the rec "use food grade cocoa butter instead of cooking oil." Did the substitution result in a slight cocoa flavor or fattiness mouth feel to the chili?

The cocoa butter fat definitely helps to achieve a stewy consistency. Emulsifying your chili paste and liquids in a blender also helps.

devoidapop
01-16-2020, 10:49
Another trick to getting a richer consistency to veggie chili is adding creamy peanut butter. 1 tablespoon is enough for a large pot and you won't notice any change in taste.

itentity
02-03-2020, 08:05
I made this chili the other day and decide to try dehydrating it in my air fryer. I tore up yellow corn tortillas and added them before dehydrating. Stale cornbread would work too.

Steep 9 large chilis (I like a mix of california, new mexico, and guajillo) in hot water for 45 minutes. Roughly chop 1 large sweet potato, 1 onion, and 2 poblano peppers. Toss veggies with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 375 for 1 hour, tossing every 20 minutes. When peppers are hydrated, combine oil, garlic, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, and cumin seeds in a blender. Blend to paste then add the water from hydrated peppers and blend again vegan chili (https://daringreviews.com/nalley-99-percent-fat-free-vegetarian-chili). Strain liquids in to a large pot. Throw solids away. Add 2 cups veggie stock, 28oz canned tomatoes, 1 cinnamon stick, and 2 bay leaves to pot. Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook for and hour. Add roasted veggies, and beans of your choice. I used garbanzo, northern, and pinto beans. Simmer low and covered for a couple of hours. If you really like that cocoa taste, use food grade cocoa butter instead of cooking oil.

I dehydrated at 150 for 8 hours.

Thanks for the idea and for sharing it.

I dry up alot of vegetarian chili too but I'm lazy and use Amy's (https://daringreviews.com/amys-organic-chili-medium-with-vegetables-and-amys-organic-refried-beans) stuff---

Yeah, I'm one of those guys as well - taking easy path, using whatever I can get online or in shops and just dehydrate it.