PDA

View Full Version : ossilators in LED head lamps?????

pobbie
02-16-2003, 21:58
I got an idea about putting an ossilator in a home made LED headlamp so it would blink extremely fast and there by saving battery power. I know that it would have to go REEEEEEEAL fast to give it decently steady light ei not a strobe light. any body got any expirience with this

DebW
02-16-2003, 22:10
That's how the Aurora works. The dimmer modes are just very fast blinking modes. It has obvious blinking modes as well.

pobbie
02-16-2003, 22:21
thanks, how does it work- does it look like a strobe light? I got a brother who tinkers with electronics so he can probally help me out. This was actually his idea that he came up with when I showed him some plans for a headlamp. He said it was a sissy lamp and he could make a super dooper souped up one.:D

Skittles
02-17-2003, 01:25
If your brother is going to be making the dimmer circuit, he should be able to make it work however you want it to ;) . LEDs can turn on and off extremely fast, they can turn on and off thousands of times before you're eye would notice it ever came on. The technique you are talking about is called Pulse-Width Modulation, or PWM. As DebW mentioned, it is commonly used for dimming lights and things like that. I'd recommend buying a regular LED headlamp and adding in a dimmer circuit if you really want one. What would be easier than that (though not as nifty) is get a lamp with multiple bulbs and install switches so that you could turn off some bulbs to save battery life. Have fun!

-Ian-

pobbie
02-17-2003, 11:22
I got one but I will probally make my own with the help of my brother who will probally put in five or six bulbs, variable numbers of bulbs on at a time and other excessive things but I'm not gonna refuse the help at all even though I could do it(Don't let him hear that ,he thinks I know nothing:D )