PDA

View Full Version : Ledges in NJ ?

Rusty Joints
01-25-2020, 22:33
Hi
Is there a section in NJ or maybe NY near NJ with a stretch of open ledge walking? It is not obvious from the trail guides or the map. I'll be up there in the spring, I think, and I'd like to check it out.
Thanks
Rusty Joints
Chapel Hill NC

Slo-go'en
01-25-2020, 22:38
Sort of. The first NJ/NY state line crossing was on a ledgey section. High point north to NY had some rocky sections.

Strategic
01-26-2020, 00:49
There are some in Southern NY, especially in Harriman SP. The best are on Black Mt and West Mt. Here's a panorama shot (composite) that I took on Black Mt.

moldy
01-26-2020, 20:53
The answer is no.

Rusty Joints
01-28-2020, 22:45
Thanks, everyone.. I was up there last summer, and did some hiking along the AT in the Delaware Water Gap. I thought that the area near the NY border looked promising, but I ran out of time. I'll check out Harriman NP sometime, and try to get back to the 2 NJ/NY borders. I guess I shouldn't expect anything dramatic.
Rusty

Crushed Grapes
01-28-2020, 22:53
Thanks, everyone.. I was up there last summer, and did some hiking along the AT in the Delaware Water Gap. I thought that the area near the NY border looked promising, but I ran out of time. I'll check out Harriman NP sometime, and try to get back to the 2 NJ/NY borders. I guess I shouldn't expect anything dramatic.
Rusty

I wouldn't say it's dramatic, but you can get some nice ledge walk near the border into NY. This is your first chance of seeing the NYC skyline

blue indian
01-29-2020, 09:05
These are prime timber rattle snake and copperhead habitat. Watch your footing.

Another Kevin
02-02-2020, 18:29
If you're doing Harriman, the most interesting ledge walking is on the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail, going up toward West Mountain from Route 106. More challenge than the AT. (Yeah, I know, the Lemon Squeezer, but that's just one little spot.)