5.plus almost every murder on the AT took place in a shelter
6.plus they cost money to build and maintain
neo:cool:

MOWGLI
03-12-2006, 09:49
Why? Because hammocks suck. ;)

The General
03-12-2006, 09:49
Because they are there, and just another part of the great Trail experience.

RLC_FLA
03-12-2006, 10:01
Because it beats packing up a rain sodden tent/hammok/tarp!

Blue Jay
03-12-2006, 10:07
why do people use shelters
cons
1.they can be crowed
2.mice infested
3.wooded floor not comfortable.
4.no privacy

1) Never seen a crow in a shelter.
2) Some shelters have snakes.
3) The roof is the issue, not the floor.
4) Privacy, who cares about that?
5) Your chance of murder on the AT is "almost" the same as being attacked by a shark. There's no reason for that to be on any list.
6) It's not your money so shut up

sparky2000
03-12-2006, 10:08
Your welcome.

Mountain Man
03-12-2006, 10:22

That's right I agree 100%

stag3
03-12-2006, 10:47
That's right I agree 100%

Neo's topic is why stay in a shelter...nothing to do with hammocks, unless you just don't like Neo's hkking style. Neo correctly listed cons..anbody got pros?

neo
03-12-2006, 10:52
Neo's topic is why stay in a shelter...nothing to do with hammocks, unless you just don't like Neo's hkking style. Neo correctly listed cons..anbody got pros?

thanks,another problem,hikers become to dependent on shelters ,i have strung my hammock in the middle of no were,in major storms,with no problems:cool: neo

Teatime
03-12-2006, 11:10
this is just another thread created by neo to try and put down anyone who doesn't use a hammock. It is thinly disguised as a thread questioning shelter use. Everyone who has been on Whitleblaze for any length of time knows that neo can't understand why everyone doesn't want to use a hammock. That being said, some of his points concerning shelters are valid, though exagerated. Shelters are a gathering place after a long day of hiking. A time to enjoy a meal with others, to swap stories and just enjoy the company of other hikers. Some of my most positive memories from my trips on the A.T. are the folks I've shared a shlelter with.

Daddy Longlegs
03-12-2006, 11:11
I hardly ever stay in a shelter but most of the time I set up a tent near a shelter so that I can use the tables. Also when hiking in the rain it is nice to be able to stop at one and eat lunch.

neo
03-12-2006, 11:29
this is just another thread created by neo to try and put down anyone who doesn't use a hammock. It is thinly disguised as a thread questioning shelter use. Everyone who has been on Whitleblaze for any length of time knows that neo can't understand why everyone doesn't want to use a hammock. That being said, some of his points concerning shelters are valid, though exagerated. Shelters are a gathering place after a long day of hiking. A time to enjoy a meal with others, to swap stories and just enjoy the company of other hikers. Some of my most positive memories from my trips on the A.T. are the folks I've shared a shlelter with.

soltitude is more positive,we spend enough time with people as it is:cool: neo

Riddick
03-12-2006, 11:37
I sense that Neo is about to post 10+ pictures of his hammock for no reason.

neo
03-12-2006, 11:45
I sense that Neo is about to post 10+ pictures of his hammock for no reason.

no,this has nothing to do with hammocks,i just believe not many hikers like to be independent,they count to much on convenence,:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-12-2006, 12:12
Man, y'all create 10x Neo's spam by responding to his messages with more spam. :p At least stay on topic! :)

Shelters are ok...they usually come with a good water source and a table for the evening chores. Great for a quick duck in out of the rain instead of getting unpacked. And for those times when you want to talk to people. I generally like to hike solo like you, but on a thru I'm sure I'd like some conversation more often. But for sleeping, I agree with you - it's more comfortable in a hammock.

Tin Man
03-12-2006, 12:37
5) Your chance of murder on the AT is "almost" the same as being attacked by a shark.

There are sharks on the trail now ?!?!? :eek:

Just Jeff
03-12-2006, 12:41
Shelter sharks!!! Run for your lives!!!

Tin Man
03-12-2006, 12:43
Shelters are a gathering place after a long day of hiking. A time to enjoy a meal with others, to swap stories and just enjoy the company of other hikers. Some of my most positive memories from my trips on the A.T. are the folks I've shared a shlelter with.

I agree. Sometimes I will sleep in a shelter, but if someone else is there I set up the tent. [Why would anyone want to hammock? ;)] I still like to hang at the shelter, tend a fire, and chat with the others hanging there. Met some very nice people on last year's section, one group from London and another group of locals who left us some trail magic (beer and snacks) the next day!

Mountain Man
03-12-2006, 12:53

That was a pro didn't you understand? I couldn't care less about Neo's hiking style or where he sleeps. Hike your own hike & sleep where you want to sleep. I wasn't saying it to put down Neo or anyone else who uses a Hammock,just stating that " I " think Hammocks suck. If everybody on the trail was sleeping in Hammocks that would make me happy because it would leave more room for me in the Shelter. My Pro is and I'll spell it out for you, in a shelter you don't have to set it up and put it back in your pack wet. It's warmer, easier to get out of and in "than a Hammock" or a tent. (In my opinion)

MOWGLI
03-12-2006, 12:57

Stag. Ever hear of irony? And for the record, I spent a few nights in an Ed Speer hammock just last week. Hence the ==> ;)

Pros of shelters?

Nice in the rain.
You can often meet good folks at them.
I like to read the occasional shelter register.
Great place for a mid-day break - especially if its raining.
Nice place for a mid-day nap.

icemanat95
03-12-2006, 13:18
Shelter Pros:

1. don't have to pack up a wet tent and groundcover after a stormy night

2. Fellowship of other hikers (most humans are far more gregarious than we realize).

3. Ready access to trail news about people ahead of us, etc. from the shelter registers

4. A dry place to cook

5. Availability of reliable water

6. Privies (OK this is REAL dubious...I personally prefer to find a spot in the woods and dig a cathole, but many people prefer a structure, and that structure also helps to ensure that the excrement of 2000 hikers in the spring is concentrated in a manageable fashion.

7. Safety. Shelters bring hikers together and there is safety in numbers. When hikers are vicitimized at shelters it is usually because they are caught alone, without other trusted companions around. If I'm going to be alone, I'd prefer to be camping in an unexpected place by myself. But if I am surrounded by friends, then a shelter area is the better bet.

7.b. Safety NET. Shelters provide an excellent safety net for novice hikers (and most AT thru-hikers are pretty green. They have a place where they can talk to and learn from other hikers, where if something goes wrong in their gear or their health, there are other hikers who may be able to help them. They are on the beaten path, so getting back to the path isn't a problem for their near-non-existent navigational skills. They are a little closer to the life they are used to so the transition from city to woods isn't so harsh.

8. Fellowship with other hikers (again)

For humans, I believe that solitude is an over-rated goal. Most of us claim to want it, but really we only need it in limited doses...much like pizza or Filet Mignon. A little is a good thing, a lot is poison. In most gregarious animal communities you see the same things over and over again. healthy animals live in groups...animals alone tend to be sick or have been driven out because they are destructive to the life of the community. We look at the Lone Wolf as some symbol of independence when in truth, the lone wolf is an outcast, generally in a slow and bitter process of death. Often diseased, starving and injured. So the tendancy of humans to seek out one another's company is a virtue.

On my thru-hike I hiked alone most of the day, but sought out company at night and at break times. That was functional for me, and I think, for most hikers. These days I spend most of my days alone in my office, so when I recreate, I want other people around.

jackiebolen
03-12-2006, 13:19
Because after a long day of hiking I'm tired and lazy and usually didn't feel like finding trees and setting up my hammock. I also hiked alone all day so liked to talk to people at night.

SGTdirtman
03-12-2006, 14:02
I dont really like shelters either... even if I stay at a shelter I stay in my tent a good distance away. alot of places its illegal to camp anywhere but the shelters, thats the only reason I'll stay near one.

white blaze
03-12-2006, 14:12
Because they're with their hiking princess.

DavidNH
03-12-2006, 14:16
why stay in shelters?

well.. If its raining..there is more room to spread out and you don't have to set up or take down a tent. Imagine..it pours outside..yet you can stand up, move around, and pack everything absolutely dry. OK things won't be dry for long..but you can at least start dry.

How about the social aspect..you can be amongst others.

Shelters almost always have a good water source near by and a privy

Many times.. there is no other place to camp unless you use the shelter (for example..northern parts of the long trail, parts of the White Mountains).

If I really wanted privacy..why would I hike the AT? I could do the PCT, or perhaps go to parts of Alaska.

Hard floor..ground is hard too. That's part of why we bring sleeping pads.

Mice infested? yup can be. But many shelters aren't (at last up here).

All the above of course presumes the shelter is not filled to bursting with people. If it is I may think twice about staying there.

David

WalkinHome
03-12-2006, 14:38
Hi Neo,

I will repost a reply as to the need (IMHO) for shelters on the AT. Yes, they are a pain and all to maintain but for now, they serve an important purpose-to keep the impact in a manageable area. It is possible that you will see more tent pads built in the future, maybe even eliminating some shelters. That is sort of thing is being discussed in some of the mainatianing clubs now.

Those of you that wish the shelters to be gone should keep one thing in mind. The shelters were built and are maintained to protect the AT from the masses (aka you). Picture in your mind a fire ring every 50 feet, matted undergrowth and bare spots to go with it and erosion everywhere. Yeah, I know some will say well that you practice Leave No Trace and all of that but there are plenty that do not. We are forever busting up "stealth" fire rings etc. Don't believe it-look at the trash left in the shelters and fire rings. If the shelters were gone do you think that would just end? 99% of trail maintenance is done to insulate or mitigate the wear and tear hikers inflict upon it. The 1% left is most likely a safety issue. It is nice to envision Utopia but we must live in the real world. Rant over, thanks for listening. Thank you DixiCritter and Attroll for all that you do.

Two Speed
03-12-2006, 14:40
cons
1.they can be crowed . . .
neo:cool:Why do I use a shelter occasionally? Primarily to piss you off! :banana

Good enough reason for me.

BTW, how are you? Got the health thing under control?

Doctari
03-12-2006, 14:46
There are sharks on the trail now ?!?!? :eek:

Yes. Usually near shelters, mostly for the food. Just like ocean sharks, if you hit them on the nose they will leave you alone.

Be aware that they are masters of camoflage. I suggest that as you get closer to a shelter area you start screaming loudly & hitting every tree & bush as you pass. My understanding of the "shelter shark" is, yelling in "fake" German or Polish is the most effective deterrant. (fake Scottish just makes them mad BTW)

I have been folowing the above method for years, and have yet to be attacked :D

Doctari.

weary
03-12-2006, 16:12
But not with the interesting subset of people who are planning to walk 2,175 miles over the course of spring, summer and early fall. I found it fun to interact with such folks and to find myself a compatriots of 20 somethings again.

Weary

C_Brice
03-12-2006, 16:59
I figure the more people around me the better.....

If a bear/shark comes along I just need to make sure I'm not the slowest one there.

Chris

saimyoji
03-12-2006, 17:22
Because they're with their hiking princess.

Sounds like a good reason to use a tent.

Programbo
03-12-2006, 17:44
cons
1.they can be crowed
2.mice infested
4.no privacy

I think shelters are part of the lore and history of the trail..I can see asking this if the trail had been around 80 years and suddenly someone suggested building a shelter sytem but it was intended that there be shelters from day one (Some shelters actually pre-date the actual "Appalachian Trail")...That being said..Most of your "cons" are directly related to the modern influx of people onto the trail aside from the mice and floors..Crowded?..To many people (I saw a group of about 12 teens hiking with obvious overnight gear in a group Saturday on the trail)....Mice?..Heck I have mice in my house..Wood floors?..Do some more squat thrusts and carry the extra pound for a pad..No privacy?...Sharing the adventure with like minded folks and meeting new people is part of the adventure..Unless...Murders?..Ah yes..Extremely rare...Plus the over crowding should solve that..Safety in numbers..Cost?..Most were built and maintained by Volunteers

Catsgoing
03-12-2006, 18:27
Neo Is Married Life Making You Go Nuts? When I first started reading your posts back in late 2003 I think? You use to talk to me how great it was to make it to each shelter. To make friends you never forget. To not have to pack a tent. You just brought your tarp that hooked to your hiking poles if didn't make it to the next shelter.

Your confusing? People do change! But, you love to meet people on the trail and tell your side of how to hike. Not that it is bad. Like Rainman posted it is how you write your questions.

You like Hammocks now so it is. Drop the rest and say write something positive for all to read.

I was wondering other than rattle snakes! Do any of you see wild life? None talk about what they see on the AT. Mostly what I read is this one does that that does this etc etc.

I wish my health held out for me to hike The AT but such is life it is a learning being ill and I enjoy reading this site. I enjoy the little bit of hiking I got to do up to Springer Mountain..... With two dogs in pouring rain..... I felt blessed!

Love You Neo............. I just don't understand what will you love next year other than your new toy kayaking??

All things come and go! So will Hammocks Tents & Shelters. You will find one year state of the art push a button tents / hammocks/shelters/ Rat and Mice proof..... With crystal sinks and more......... 2006 The Cartoon The Jet sons said we would be flying little jets to here and there. Zip one trail done... LOL

jmaclennan
03-12-2006, 18:46
nice post iceman! i agree. also, the LNT implications of not using shelters are considerable, as walkinhome explains quite well.

neo, you think hikers are too into convenience? you couldn't be further from the truth. by definition, hikers are inconveniencing themselves (at least relative to the average american). i take it you hunt and gather your own food while on the trail instead of purchasing in at the store. rub two sticks together? wait, you're right: shelters are way too convenient... especially after hiking twenty miles in the rain!?:rolleyes:

Blue Jay
03-12-2006, 19:02
Yes. Usually near shelters, mostly for the food. Just like ocean sharks, if you hit them on the nose they will leave you alone.

Be aware that they are masters of camoflage. I suggest that as you get closer to a shelter area you start screaming loudly & hitting every tree & bush as you pass. My understanding of the "shelter shark" is, yelling in "fake" German or Polish is the most effective deterrant.

You are correct, in addition it keeps Neos away also.:banana

the goat
03-12-2006, 19:31
cons
1.they can be crowed
2.mice infested
4.no privacy
dude, when i section hike, i am seeking solitude and privacy. on a thru, i get enough of that as it is, and get tired of setting up the tent for the 100th time. plus, best of all, i know i won't run into any hammock hangers!!!

p.s. they are maintained primarily by volunteers!!!

KirkMcquest
03-12-2006, 20:51
1) Never seen a
6) It's not your money so shut up

Who's money is it??

Old Spice
03-12-2006, 21:11
thanks,another problem,hikers become to dependent on shelters ,i have strung my hammock in the middle of no were,in major storms,with no problems:cool: neo

Some hikers are way to dependent on their hammock. :cool:

neo
03-12-2006, 21:14
Some hikers are way to dependent on their hammock. :cool:

:D what else is there lol:cool: neo

white blaze
03-12-2006, 21:16
They're with their hiking princess.

Sounds like a good reason to use a tent.

Anything's better than a hammock, if you're with your hiking princess. Right Neo?

neo
03-12-2006, 21:34
Anything's better than a hammock, if you're with your hiking princess. Right Neo?

:D too cool:cool: neo

saimyoji
03-12-2006, 22:20
:D too cool:cool: neo

Not sure how to interpret this response. Are we to believe that you have shared a tent/hammock with your princess? Or do you think its cool that some of us prefer to do so, but you have yet to do?

carolinahiker
03-12-2006, 22:33
I hang my hammock near a shelter cause i like the people {most of em } i like the tables and the chit chat but i dont sleep in the shelter cause i snore like a grizzly bear so i hang far enough away to not wake the dead lol.

carolinahiker
03-12-2006, 22:38
The shelter shark is that realted to the land shark of Saturday night live fame hmmmmmmm>

longshank
03-13-2006, 00:08
How is gear stored in a hammock, i.e. backpack and such? Do you just throw it in there with you?

Disney
03-13-2006, 03:44
1. I like the camaraderie.
2. No packing up a wet tent.
3. Mice don't bother me.
4. Can't sleep in a hammock, causes back problems.
5. I know where the water is.
6. Immediately out of the rain.
7. Safety - Better 3 walls then nylon.
8. You can see the area in front of you.
9. Again, camaraderie.
10. Once met a local girl and showed her how to hang food. We came back about 2 hours later. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, so I'm still waiting on that second time.

Mags
03-13-2006, 13:27
If you want camraderie, but still want a good night's sleep, a good compromise is to eat dinner at the shelter area and sleep a a little bit away from the shelter. The picnic tables, enclosed eating spaces and easily obtainable water supply make the shelter AREA attractive.

Find I sleep much better in my own shelter (even whe it is raining) than a crowded lean-to.

When I started backpacking, did not even know about lean-tos. Since I started backpacing using tents, seemed natural to me use my own shelter.

As Iceman said, the camraderie of a shelter area can be fun. But, get a good night's sleep is also a nice thing too! So, the compromise.
Eat and talk with hikers for a bit. When I ready to sleep, I walk to my tarp a little bit into the woods.

YMMV.

Teatime
03-13-2006, 15:21
"No man is an Island". What is this "we" stuff? Speak for yourself. Sure, I like solitude at times but I also like the company of good friends and family, especially my little boy. He's my little sidekick and we do a lot together. He's going with me on my section hike in a few weeks. It will be his first section.:banana I missed him so much the last time I went solo. It really sucked when I got to the top of Albert Mtn, Wesser Bald, Siler Bald and Wayah Bald. Sucked you say? Yes, I had beautiful views to enjoy and wanted to share it with somone. But alas, I was alone. Danny would have really liked that climb up Albert!

JoeHiker
03-13-2006, 15:33
"No man is an Island". What is this "we" stuff? Speak for yourself.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Almost word for word

Pirate
03-13-2006, 15:44
Why would anybody sleep in a hammock when they have a beautiful shelter God has given them to sleep in? The ATC has spent millions of dollars on shelters for your comfort an safety. Throw your hammocks away, save weight and always use the shelters the ATC has provided for you. Don't forget to send the ATC any extra cash you have. They need the money.

neo
03-13-2006, 16:10
shelters are hectic to many people:cool: neo

neo
03-13-2006, 16:19
"No man is an Island". What is this "we" stuff? Speak for yourself. Sure, I like solitude at times but I also like the company of good friends and family, especially my little boy. He's my little sidekick and we do a lot together. He's going with me on my section hike in a few weeks. It will be his first section.:banana I missed him so much the last time I went solo. It really sucked when I got to the top of Albert Mtn, Wesser Bald, Siler Bald and Wayah Bald. Sucked you say? Yes, I had beautiful views to enjoy and wanted to share it with somone. But alas, I was alone. Danny would have really liked that climb up Albert!

i like people,and my favorite people to hike with are in these pictures:cool: neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6193&catid=658

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7394&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7135&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6995&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6654&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6409&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6408&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6406&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6334&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6191&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6186&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4393&catid=member&imageuser=3462

Disney
03-14-2006, 21:29
Neo, looks like you have great kids. I just hope for your sake they don't one day come home from college with a tent. Oh the humanity.

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2006, 21:47
In the beginning of the trip, people stay in shelters for two main reasons: To socialize with other hikers, and because they're not yet comfortable tenting, especially be themselves. (In many cases, they're terrified of this tho they'll seldom admit it.)

Later on, most folks stay in shelters only when the weather is lousy or there aren't many people in them. Most folks come to realize, quite rightly, that you'll sleep lots better in your tarp, hammock, or tent.

Old Spice
03-14-2006, 21:52
In the beginning of the trip, people stay in shelters for two main reasons: To socialize with other hikers...

I was planning on doing this. I am all about solitude, but I'd like to make some trail friends early on.

neo
03-14-2006, 23:22
Neo, looks like you have great kids. I just hope for your sake they don't one day come home from college with a tent. Oh the humanity.

thanks disney,they are my pride and joy:cool: neo

Moxie00
03-14-2006, 23:33
Q) Why stay in shelters?

A) Because it is impossible to have sex in a hammock.
(unless you are alone)

:banana

DaSchwartz
03-15-2006, 03:09
Everyone who hikes the AT for more than few days uses shelters. That doesn't mean they sleep in them but they certainly use them, including Neo.

Shelters do have a purpose in communication, fellowship, information, water sources, privies, and are manditory in certain areas like SMNP. I don't like sleeping in shelters either but I don't care one way or the other if someone else does or doesn't.

My one bitch about them is all the cooking that happens in the shelters. Sorry, your stoves don't belong in them but I know almost everyone does it from time to time.

There are also negatives usually from outsiders like the trash and the defecation.

I find a good tent will keep you drier than a crowded shelter if put up properly. Just my opinion.

But shelters are needed on the AT.

I'll also disagree with others who don't carry a tent then expect others to make space for them in shelters. That's BS.

neo
03-15-2006, 07:44
Q) Why stay in shelters?

(unless you are alone)

:D you sure will have an audience having sex in a shelter lol:cool: neo

MOWGLI
03-15-2006, 08:01
Q) Why stay in shelters?

(unless you are alone)

Moxie. Who obviously loves himself. :banana

Jaybird
03-15-2006, 08:24
why do people use shelters?

i SECOND that!:D

maxNcathy
03-15-2006, 08:39
Shelters are a good place in which to hang your hammock so you don't get wet or too cold from the wind.I use the hangup ropes to hang out my wet clothing too.I use a short length of garden hose when I have to pee at night.There usually is a crack in the shelter wall or floor for the hose.
Also my three dogs like to each have a cozy place to sleep and they never could get used to my swaying hammock.They often snuggle under my hammock and I find their body heat helps keep my bottomside warm.The shelters afford enough space for my dogs to get up and move around during the night-much better than in my old tent which they found too constricting.

jk

Moxie00
03-15-2006, 09:40
:D you sure will have an audience having sex in a shelter lol:cool: neo
I really don't expect alot of people have sex in shelters, thats what blue blazes are for. They lead to alot of private places. I have never been able to sleep in a hammock but many love them. I do not agree that you will have an audence in shelters. I thru hiked in 2000 and spend alot of time hiking the AT today. On my thru hike the mob that started had both shrunk and spread out by Hot Springs and often only one or two people would be in a shelter. Of course when you thru hike little gangs of hikers come and go and other nights shelters would fill up, especially in bad weather. I often shared a shelter with only one or two people and sometimes was alone. In good weather many of us tried to get the extra miles in before dark and just set up on any flat spot beside the trail. Last summer my wife and I spent alot of time on the trail in Maine at the peak of thru hiker season and frequently had shelters to ourselves while others tented or used their hammocks all around us. Mice are a part of shelter so live with them, hang your gear and food and they aren't a bother. I am very happy the shelters are there. In Maine the trail is rough and rocky and there aren't alot of good places to camp beside the trail. The MATC encourages tents and hammocks around shelters and frequently that is the only decent place you will find.

Red Hat
03-16-2006, 12:45
When I started my hike last year, I planned to stay in my tent most nights. I did for the first 100 miles or so. After that, it was so much easier to climb into the shelter with my sleeping bag and crash. Then in the morning, I didn't have to pack up my tent, or wait for it to dry. So I got used to sleeping in shelters. I became an expert at changing clothes inside my sleeping bag. I was not bothered by mice, luckily. I do try to go for a place in the middle, away from the walls where the mice tend to be. I enjoyed spending time with the people at the shelters. Would I still carry my tent, absolutely! Sometimes you are not near a shelter and my tent is comfortable. I used it several times in the Shenandoahs campgrounds. My point is, why knock the shelters? They serve their purpose. I'll take a shelter over my tent in the rain anytime!

neo
03-16-2006, 12:53
When I started my hike last year, I planned to stay in my tent most nights. I did for the first 100 miles or so. After that, it was so much easier to climb into the shelter with my sleeping bag and crash. Then in the morning, I didn't have to pack up my tent, or wait for it to dry. So I got used to sleeping in shelters. I became an expert at changing clothes inside my sleeping bag. I was not bothered by mice, luckily. I do try to go for a place in the middle, away from the walls where the mice tend to be. I enjoyed spending time with the people at the shelters. Would I still carry my tent, absolutely! Sometimes you are not near a shelter and my tent is comfortable. I used it several times in the Shenandoahs campgrounds. My point is, why knock the shelters? They serve their purpose. I'll take a shelter over my tent in the rain anytime!

the point is people are to reliant,its a point about being more self reliant thats all.:cool: neo

saimyoji
03-16-2006, 13:38
the point is people are to reliant,its a point about being more self reliant thats all.:cool: neo

If you are backpacking hundreds of miles in the (sort of) wilderness, I think you are already pretty self reliant.

DawnTreader
03-16-2006, 13:42
Most of my nights on the AT have been spent in a tent. That said, I will add that shelters are a neccessary evil. It was part of Benton Mckaye's original vision. The comunal asspect of the shelters cannot be overlooked. imagine the AT without these end of the day meeting places. Not to mention the safety issue. I wonder how many hikers would have been in a serious situation if they were caught without three walls and a roof on a night that where the weather was beyond explanation. Shelters are a large part of the AT experience, without them, it would be just another trail.
NEW TOPIC>......AMC HUTS ....Good or bad.. I love them and I hate them.. nuff said

longshank
03-16-2006, 14:45
I think that at the end of a long day's hiking, it's nice to have a place where you can comfortably sit, take your boots off, spread out your gear, take a deep breath, not woory about the weather and what you have to do, and just RELAX. I really only like them when I/we have them to my(our)self(ves), though. I'll bivy if I come to a crowded shelter. It's also a nice daily goal, a tangible destination to reach. Also a great place to gather info on what's to come, compare notes with others on what we've passed through. I think they are a fun addition to the experience, whether I choose to use them or not.

Footslogger
03-20-2006, 12:54
If you have to ask the question you might not understand the answers you'll get to this one. When you're out there for 6 months in day in/day out rain the option of a shelter is sometimes nice to have.

Shelter mainly serve as gathering places and havens from the weather.

'Slogger

Flash Hand
03-21-2006, 15:55
As a deaf hiker,

Sleeping in the shelter provide me advance warning. A hiker who woke up and ran to chase a raccoon that loitering around our shelter mainly for food, and woke me up with a loud bang on the floor. If not for shelter, my food would be gone.

And time-saving. Getting up in the shelter, knowing that you don't have to pack the tent, so giving yourself extra time to do some breakfast and sitting down before getting off for hike again.

Cons about the shelter,

None except that hikers made a terrible fart, that was stuck in the shelter for a while. Geez.

Flash Hand :jump

neo
03-21-2006, 17:34
why do people use shelters?

i SECOND that!:D

:D because they have not saw the light and started hammock hanging lol:cool: neo

joel137
03-21-2006, 17:49
Can't belly sleep in a hammock, spine won't bend in that direction.

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 18:09
Well, some people can. I do it all the time. Here's a picture of Youngblood sleeping on his stomach.

Actually, unlike in a bed where you sleep on your side, back or stomach, the hammock opens up a lot more possibilities - it's very comfortable to be like 1/4 on your stomach, for example...but not so comfy doing that in a bed.

joel137
03-21-2006, 18:54
Interesting Pic, I'm guessing its a picture of the 1/4 belly sleep:)

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 20:56
Yeah - he's not exactly flat in this one. It's hard to explain if you haven't tried it. I can get flat on my stomach in my homemade one but it's not really comfortable in my HH.

joel137
03-22-2006, 00:18
Its hard to imagine, I'm guilty of never having tried; and imagine that I'd have a hard time being a belly sleeper.

Plus usual old guy resistance to change . . .

saimyoji
03-22-2006, 00:44
I've used recreational hammocks over the years, mostly the mesh ones, not hiking hammocks. I've been able to rest comfortable on my stomach for a while, provided the hammock was tightly hung.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2008, 18:21
cons
1.they can be crowed
2.mice infested
4.no privacy

i use them to leave stuff that i don't want.

gungho
02-10-2008, 18:27
It does seem like that is all they are good for. I have never slept in one. But, everytime I have stopped at one to relax and fix some lunch,there is always sometype of gear or food left behind.

Roland
02-10-2008, 18:30

No matter how often you dig-up these old threads, there's always someone who takes the bait. You're laughing your butt-off, now, aren't ya? :D

Lone Wolf
02-10-2008, 18:34
No matter how often you dig-up these old threads, there's always someone who takes the bait. You're laughing your butt-off, now, aren't ya? :D

no. i'm just tired of the politics forum and all the usual *hitbirds that post there. need more action up here in hiking

Roland
02-10-2008, 18:36
no. i'm just tired of the politics forum and all the usual *hitbirds that post there. need more action up here in hiking

What politics forum? I gave up on that, long ago! I agree with you; the focus of this site should be hiking. We've strayed a bit.

gungho
02-10-2008, 19:00
At least he is keeping us entertained. It is usually the same old same. I enjoy the dredging up of old threads,especially being new to this site.

mudhead
02-10-2008, 19:13
I am curious why no one has never done a section and tossed a DCon square under some shelters to knock back the mice.

Oh, that wouldn't be nice. But it would smell better.

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2008, 19:40
I've found some good reading material in shelters. In one I found the King of Torts, it was left by a girl named Piegon (I think). I'm not much on fiction, but it was a great read on them lonely nights. I wonder who picked it up after me? I forgot which shelter I left it in.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-10-2008, 19:44
What politics forum? I gave up on that, long ago! I agree with you; the focus of this site should be hiking. We've strayed a bit.Glad you two have come out of the pit. I gave it another try recently, but alas... it hasn't changed.

dessertrat
02-10-2008, 19:48

Tweet tweet!

dessertrat
02-10-2008, 19:50
I am curious why no one has never done a section and tossed a DCon square under some shelters to knock back the mice.

Oh, that wouldn't be nice. But it would smell better.

Mice are not just shelter vermin. In any given square mile of woodland, they are also the most populous forest dweller. It's not fair to go out into the woods, where there are more mice than any other mammal, and think we should poison them. It's also a losing battle; no matter how many you poison, there will always be more.

Roland
02-10-2008, 19:51
At least he is keeping us entertained. It is usually the same old same. I enjoy the dredging up of old threads,especially being new to this site.
Oh, he certainly keeps us entertained. Sharp as a tack, he is, he is. And while he characterizes himself as FOS, he's a straight-shooter. Few will call a spade, a spade, the way he does. No BS.

Seeing these old threads, the second time around, brings to my attention how much time I've spent in front of this damned computer screen.

Kirby
02-10-2008, 20:38
Shelters are varmint infested wooden boxes, burn em all.

Kirby

Tin Man
02-10-2008, 20:55
Even the young ones understand the nature of the shelters.

Dances with Mice
02-10-2008, 21:03
i use them to leave stuff that i don't want.Where you at Hawk Mtn recently? Here's what I found today:

4 burned out metal cans in the firepit.
1 bottle of tequila, empty, cheap brand I've never heard of.
1 wide black leather belt. I mean really wide. Something that may have been in style in the late 70's, early 80's. I almost kept it as a weight lifting support belt.
1 pair of slip-on crampons. Don't know the brand. They look like studded flip-flops with velcro straps. I gave them to a backpacker who asked how I liked them.
1 - 6 oz. tub of Mink Oil leather treatment with one dab taken out of it.
3 or 4 various lengths of nylon webbing with buckles, looked like they may have been cut off something in frustration.

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2008, 21:04
Shelters are varmint infested wooden boxes, burn em all.

Kirby
So you're for burning down libraries?;)

AT-HITMAN2005
02-10-2008, 21:16
kirby will change his mind that one night on the trail when its raining, hes tired and doesn't feel like pitching his tent or hanging his hammock, whichever applies.

Appalachian Tater
02-10-2008, 21:21
kirby will change his mind that one night on the trail when its raining, hes tired and doesn't feel like pitching his tent or hanging his hammock, whichever applies.

Or it's pouring down rain, it's cold, it's lunchtime, and there's a shelter with a spring right there off the trail.

Kirby
02-10-2008, 21:22
I am committed to never using a shelter in Maine again, I don't know the varmint situation elsewhere, but in the 100 mile wilderness this summer it was horrible.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
02-10-2008, 21:28
I am committed to never using a shelter in Maine again, I don't know the varmint situation elsewhere, but in the 100 mile wilderness this summer it was horrible.

Kirby

Those little varmits can come in handy when you're really hungry!

Google "chocolate mouse", there are thousands of recipes.

notorius tic
02-10-2008, 21:30
Because if you ever put down some miles? An enjoy the fun time you can have with your friends? Then stay in your hammcock sry sp hammock..

Kirby
02-10-2008, 21:31
I'm a tenter, I don't want to sleep 2-3 feet off the ground.

Kirby

Montego
02-10-2008, 21:33
Those little varmits can come in handy when you're really hungry!

Google "chocolate mouse", there are thousands of recipes.

Thanks, but I like my chocolate 'neat' LOL :D

dessertrat
02-10-2008, 21:35
I'm a tenter, I don't want to sleep 2-3 feet off the ground.

Kirby

Do you sleep in a bed at home?

(Also a tenter).

notorius tic
02-10-2008, 21:37
Im a stealth camper myself thats why we are outthere just you an the elemnets. But a shelter is ggreat place to lay your head

Kirby
02-10-2008, 21:40
Do you sleep in a bed at home?

(Also a tenter).

Yeah, but I ditched the thing the frame, so now my mattress is on top of my box spring, so I am about 1 foot off the ground.

Fancy bed set ups bamboozle me.

Kirby

Footslogger
02-10-2008, 21:49
cons
1.they can be crowed
2.mice infested
4.no privacy

========================================

If it rains hard enough, long enough and for weeks on end, shelters start to look like a viable alternative to a tent. I know ...I've been there.

Otherwise I agree with most everything you said in your original post.

'Slogger

Nest
02-10-2008, 21:51
Where you at Hawk Mtn recently? Here's what I found today:

1 bottle of tequila, empty, cheap brand I've never heard of.

Hey, was that bottle completely empty? It was about a quarter full when i saw it day before New Years, and still had the worm in it.

Dances with Mice
02-10-2008, 23:40
Hey, was that bottle completely empty? It was about a quarter full when i saw it day before New Years, and still had the worm in it.Then that damn worm drank the rest of the bottle and crawled off.

Montego
02-10-2008, 23:45
Hey, was that bottle completely empty? It was about a quarter full when i saw it day before New Years, and still had the worm in it.

Gotta watch them shelter mice - sneaky little buggers :D

Nest
02-10-2008, 23:49
Then that damn worm drank the rest of the bottle and crawled off.

Must have been a desperate person to finish off that bottle.

dessertrat
02-11-2008, 00:06
A worm in a cheap bottle? Must have been installed aftermarket.

Tennessee Viking
02-11-2008, 00:36
Cause I just finally got a tent after a year.

Cause gives me something else to maintain.

GGS2
02-11-2008, 00:40
Mice are not just shelter vermin. In any given square mile of woodland, they are also the most populous forest dweller. It's not fair to go out into the woods, where there are more mice than any other mammal, and think we should poison them. It's also a losing battle; no matter how many you poison, there will always be more.

Also, mice are the main food source for many predators, like owls, hawks, foxes and so on. Poison mice and you may end up poisoning these others too. Not good to mess with Mother Nature.

Del Q
02-11-2008, 23:25
Although I carry a tent for many reasons, at the end of a long day, a shelter seems like home in a way. Nice to have a place to sit, water source. Have spent some rocking nights in shelters through awesome storms. They serve a valid purpose.

Tennessee Viking
02-11-2008, 23:57
We have to have a picnic somewhere on trail

warraghiyagey
02-12-2008, 00:31
I have a great appreciation for the shelters. Have spent many wonderful woodsy evenings in them with the best of friends.:sun

envirodiver
02-12-2008, 00:40
A worm in a cheap bottle? Must have been installed aftermarket.

Which tequila brand is it that puts red wigglers in the bottle?

Darwin again
02-12-2008, 08:59
cons
1.they can be crowed

I've seen crows at shelters.
In the smokies, Mt. Collins shelter, I saw a crow grab a girl's bagel and make off with it after she left it unattended. Damn those crows, damn those shelters!

NorthCountryWoods
02-12-2008, 09:01
Cuz they like the outdoors but want to be around people. :D

Seriously tho, how many trail journals have you read with the quote "lonely night in the shelter"? I've read many.

People that want to be around other people or in the presence of man made things = shelters good. :)
People that don't want to be around other people and go out on the trail to get away from man made things = shelters bad. :mad:

hopefulhiker
02-12-2008, 09:23
A lot of people seem to race from shelter to shelter.. I used them in really bad storms.. but most of the time I pitched my tent some distance from the shelter and used the picnic table to cook on...

rafe
02-12-2008, 09:41
A lot of people seem to race from shelter to shelter..

Yes, that's an issue. Speaking for myself, that's the #1 "negative" aspect of shelters. I usually enjoy company at camp, and I generally expect that I'll find company at shelters. Of course, it doesn't always work that way.

My nights in the woods are split pretty evenly between shelters and tent. Some times the shelter placement is totally mis-matched to my itinerary, so I don't bother trying to reach one. Other times I reach it but end up tenting anyway. Both situations are common.

neo
02-17-2008, 13:54
========================================

If it rains hard enough, long enough and for weeks on end, shelters start to look like a viable alternative to a tent. I know ...I've been there.

Otherwise I agree with most everything you said in your original post.

'Slogger

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2678&catid=member&imageuser=11

thats why i carry an oversized tarp it goes up 1st and comes down last in a down pour:cool:neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2510&catid=member&imageuser=11

WILLIAM HAYES
02-17-2008, 14:21
I enjoy the conversation with other hikers at shelters and while I don't like staying at shelters It rained for five days straight once and I was glad to get out of the rain

Hillbilly

Nearly Normal
02-17-2008, 14:27
Shelter sharks!!! Run for your lives!!!

HE HE HE.............HA HA HA.....HO HO HO

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-17-2008, 14:54
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2678&catid=member&imageuser=11
thats why i carry an oversized tarp it goes up 1st and comes down last in a down pour:cool:neo
Same here - even though we use a bivy tent instead of a hammock.

neo
02-17-2008, 15:23
Same here - even though we use a bivy tent instead of a hammock.

yes the tarp used alone,or with hammock or tent is like having your own
shelter without a crowd,plenty of room to cook ,stand and stretch,its a great way to go:cool:neo

GGS2
02-17-2008, 17:22
Q) Why stay in shelters?

(unless you are alone)

Just curious. You find it easy to have sex in a crowded shelter?

CrumbSnatcher
02-17-2008, 19:41
Shelters are a good place in which to hang your hammock so you don't get wet or too cold from the wind.I use the hangup ropes to hang out my wet clothing too.I use a short length of garden hose when I have to pee at night.There usually is a crack in the shelter wall or floor for the hose.
Also my three dogs like to each have a cozy place to sleep and they never could get used to my swaying hammock.They often snuggle under my hammock and I find their body heat helps keep my bottomside warm.The shelters afford enough space for my dogs to get up and move around during the night-much better than in my old tent which they found too constricting.

jki sure hope this post is a joke.