PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Creek Gap parking

Blazeman
01-31-2020, 10:12
Looking at staging a car at Dicks Creek Gap for section hike. Will be parked there for about 7 - 8 days. Any issues that anyone is aware of for parking at this spot. Or should we just park the car in Hiawassee and get a ride from DCG to Hiawassee when we get there?

Also noted in the 2020 AT Guide it says there is no cell service at Dicks Creek Gap. Says to call before you get there... Assume that is the case.

Thanks for any input on this question.

Blazeman

Gambit McCrae
01-31-2020, 10:22
No issues for parking here. Have done it myself

Praha4
01-31-2020, 10:27
parked there once for 4 days back in 2011, no problems, but I've read some reports of break-ins there. Not being a local, don't know. I do remember we got a cell signal on the trail just south of the gap, but when we arrived at the Gap, we lost the signal. But it's an easy hitch at Dicks Creek Gap, lots of traffic and locals are used to seeing hikers there.

Mockernut
01-31-2020, 18:40
I park there all the time, never had an issue.

Thefurther
02-01-2020, 10:44
Looking at staging a car at Dicks Creek Gap for section hike. Will be parked there for about 7 - 8 days. Any issues that anyone is aware of for parking at this spot. Or should we just park the car in Hiawassee and get a ride from DCG to Hiawassee when we get there?

Also noted in the 2020 AT Guide it says there is no cell service at Dicks Creek Gap. Says to call before you get there... Assume that is the case.

Thanks for any input on this question.

Blazeman
you will be all good parking there for up to 14 days. I have not heard or seen of any vandalism there in the last three years that I have been shuttling. there is some service there if you move to the north side of the road up the trail about half a mile and if you walk up the trail going north about half a mile you will catch a signal. if you plan on calling for a shuttle I would plan on scheduling it first and get it locked down in someones book before you head out. some of the shuttle drivers have to drive an hour to get you or maybe more depending on where they are located or where their last drop was. peace and safe travels

Blazeman
02-01-2020, 11:12
Thanks for everyone's input on the question. Appreciate the answers.