PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Vehicles at shelters.

Navigator
03-12-2006, 12:05
You hike into a shelter and find a 4x4 parked next to the shelter.
What would you do?

Lone Wolf
03-12-2006, 12:10
Get in the vehicle and toss in Dark Side Of The Moon. BTW David Gilmour turned 60 this week.

MOWGLI
03-12-2006, 13:07
What would you do?

Keep going. I saw that at the first shelter north of Clarendon Gorge. Coupla section hikers left it there. That shelter is notorious for hell raising locals. I caught up to the kids and persuaded them to do a key swap with the Ridgerunner. The Ridgerunner took the vehicle to a safer location.

MOWGLI
03-12-2006, 13:09
Get in the vehicle and toss in Dark Side Of The Moon. BTW David Gilmour turned 60 this week.

Animals by Pink Floyd is a much better record IMO. Maybe their best.

"Big man - pig man . Ha ha charade you are."

sliderule
03-12-2006, 15:37
What would you do?

They may have driven in. But I would be real tempted to ensure that they would have to hike out.

Peaks
03-12-2006, 15:58
What would you do?

First, with the exception of Gov. Clement, most shelters are sited such that there is no vehicle access.

For those few shelters that are vehicle accessible, it probably a restricted access. (How do you think the caretaker gets into Uppper Goose Pond?) Thus, the 4 x 4 owner is nearby doing some maintenance work. That being said, what would I do? Probably talk with the owner, and ask if he needed some help. Or I might ask about a ride out for resupply.

Vi+
03-12-2006, 16:10
Let me first add some assumed data:

(1) The vehicle has current and permanent looking tags.

(2) The vehicle is parked in an area which is appropriate for parking.

(3) There isn't anything about implying anything other than a legallly parked vehicle driven by perfectly good citizens. I.e., no disorderly behavior, no people around, no evidence of hunting where it is prohibited, no mounds of bottles and cans reeking of alcohol, and the vehicle doesn't appear to have been recently abandoned.

(4) It is approaching nightfall, I'm at the shelter considering staying for the night, and there isn't a nearby shelter deeper in the woods.

It's just a vehicle for Pete's sakes; I'd prepare to stay the night.

Maybe I missed your point.

saimyoji
03-12-2006, 16:45

Delicate sounds of thunder.

FatMan
03-12-2006, 16:54
Get in the vehicle and toss in Dark Side Of The Moon. BTW David Gilmour turned 60 this week.I would try to find the owner and see if they had any elixer that would make me "Comfortably Numb":D

C_Brice
03-12-2006, 16:55
Quote:
It's just a vehicle for Pete's sakes; I'd prepare to stay the night.

Agreed,
leave or stay but what does it hurt?

Chris

SGTdirtman
03-12-2006, 17:54
Ive never stayed at a shelter a vehical could even get to except maybe brink road shelter and if I saw a vehical there I'd have to assume its a park ranger or someone else who had the key to the gate to get in.

If the shelter had easy access to vehicals I'd have to give it the benifit of the doubt that its someone who belongs there before I start setting it on fire and playing bad music on the stereo.... :sun

Just Jeff
03-12-2006, 17:58
They may have driven in. But I would be real tempted to ensure that they would have to hike out.

Modern day Hayduke. But even he drove his Jeep to most of his campsites.

Ridge
03-12-2006, 20:04
I heard of ATV's/dirt bikes and bicycles being spotted at shelters. I've only came across mtn bikes on the trail, not at shelters. Never heard of a vehicle at one.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2006, 22:48

I actually agree with you Jeffrey. But there is no "bad" Pink Floyd. Shine On. Syd?

workboot
03-12-2006, 23:37
I`d more than likely just fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way.....

CaptChaos
03-12-2006, 23:48
Nothing. What is it to you?

Like I told my son if you want to be the one to enforce the rules then maybe you need to get into law enforcement. Don't mean to upset anyone but really in the reality of life what does it matter.

Are you going to cause damage to the ATV and lower yourself to the same level of the people that destroy our cars at the trailheads?

I see nothing that really needs to be addressed by you at that time. Maybe I am missing something but if it bothered you that much then maybe you should have went on down the trail and stealth camped or something.

I guess that I really don't understand you post. What is its purpose. You have to excuse me in the fact that I am a information systems profesisonal and have worked with computers for to many years. I might not understand what you are implying and I need more input because I really don't understand you post.

Sorry.

Doppleganger
03-13-2006, 01:11
Nothing. What is it to you?

Like I told my son if you want to be the one to enforce the rules then maybe you need to get into law enforcement. Don't mean to upset anyone but really in the reality of life what does it matter.

Are you going to cause damage to the ATV and lower yourself to the same level of the people that destroy our cars at the trailheads?

I see nothing that really needs to be addressed by you at that time. Maybe I am missing something but if it bothered you that much then maybe you should have went on down the trail and stealth camped or something.

I guess that I really don't understand you post. What is its purpose. You have to excuse me in the fact that I am a information systems profesisonal and have worked with computers for to many years. I might not understand what you are implying and I need more input because I really don't understand you post.

Sorry.

.............A-MEN

Disney
03-13-2006, 03:36
The RPH shelter is New York is maybe 20 yards off the road. As to what I would do, it would honestly depend on how I felt talking to the person as the biggest factor. Aside from that, how many people I was hiking with. That kind of a thing is to situational dependant for a quick answer.

Navigator
03-13-2006, 08:19
Thanks for the input. Pink Floyd seems to be the way to go, after you scope out the situation.

AbeHikes
03-13-2006, 13:08
I guess I'd be more relaxed if the driver said "Come in here. Sit, boy. Have a cigar. You're going to go far..."

"The band is just fantastic. That is really what I think. Oh, by the way... Which one's Pink?"

Blue Jay
03-13-2006, 13:18
What would you do?

First find out if there is food, drink or females. If yes, stay, if no say hello and walk on.