PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Thoughts or Suggestions

irritable_badger
03-12-2006, 14:44
It's just about time for me to leave, I'll be headed to Springer next Sunday (yeah!!!!!!) below is my final gear list for last minute review. This is my cold weather gear and I did not include the weight of the thermals I am wearing but I did include camp and trail clothes just for comparison. The fleece items and thermals I'm wearing will be sent home when it gets warm and I'll send for my lightweight sleeping bag at the same time. Also, I did not include the weight of 2L water or food which will vary between resupply points. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Fleece Gloves: 1.75 oz
Fleece Hat: 2.25 oz
First aid and hygeine (including journal and correspondance materials): 14 oz
L/S Capilene Zip T: 10 oz
Duofold S/S T: 6 oz
Trail Pants: 15.5 oz (convertible that's why so heavy)
Camp Pants: 12 oz
2 Pair Wool Socks w/Liners: 14 oz
Headlamp w/batts: 6 oz
Kitchen (2L Pot w/Lid, spoon, pot handle, coffee mug, Whisperlite Intl, and food bag/line): 31.25
Tent (tent, poles, stakes, lines, and ground cloth): 64 oz
Absorber (towel alternative w/tube and duct tape on tube): 8 oz
Pack Cover: 4 oz
Hat (I always wear a hat so it's gotta go): 4 oz
Rain Jacket: 12 oz
Harmonica: 2.5 oz
22 oz gasoline (I cook twice a day and make a ton of coffee)
Fleece Jacket: 18 oz
Backpack: 84 oz
0* Sleeping Bag: 74 oz
Camera (all acc + extra batts): 24 oz

Total: 431.25 oz or 26.9 Lbs.

Panzer1
03-12-2006, 15:00
I would take 3 or 4 pairs of socks. I like clean socks..
What about a guide book and maps..
And a watch: so you know the time.
And a small Swiss Army knife or similar small pocket knife.
Also, if you like music or news, mp3 player or small radio.
Campshoes of some type or another..
Trekking poles...
I'm assuming that you have a cigarette lighter somerwhere in there.
I always brought 25 feet of 4 mm cord to use to hang food bag and as a clothes line to dry wet cothes/tent/sleeping bag/ect.

Your total weight of 26.9 Lbs. looks good.

Panzer

irritable_badger
03-12-2006, 15:18
I would take 3 or 4 pairs of socks. I like clean socks..
What about a guide book and maps..
And a watch: so you know the time.
And a small Swiss Army knife or similar small pocket knife.
Also, if you like music or news, mp3 player or small radio.
Campshoes of some type or another..
Trekking poles...

Your total weight of 26.9 Lbs. looks good.

Panzer

Oops. I did forget to include my flip-flops. They're on my feet right now so they slipped my mind :rolleyes:

digger51
03-12-2006, 16:40
Have a good hike badger. I plan to start either sat or sun so I might see you out there. I just drove through I-40 where the trail crosses and it was mild temps.Not sure what it is like further south.

hustler
03-12-2006, 16:56
Looks good, after about ten days or so I would take everything out of your pack and make three piles. 1st pile, stuff I used today, 2nd stuff I used in the last 3 days, 3rd pile, stuff I haven't used. This little shake down will save you a few pounds.

Sly
03-12-2006, 18:58
You probably wont need a 0* sleeping bag and can by with well rated 20* bag plus clothing if you need it. You'd save a couple pounds there but, imo, would still be heavy.

It's probably too late to make suggestions about changing other major gear you could save 5 lbs easy.

Drop the 8 oz. towel and replace it with a couple bandanas that can serve other purposes. Examine your 1st aid, which isn't broken down but probaby heavy. Mine is duct tape, bandanas, ointment, maybe a little gold bond and ibuprofen. You wont need camp pants if you're taking convertibles. Some light weight nylon shorts that are easily rinsed out for sleeping and doing laundry will come in handier.

Regardless of if you change anything to lessen your load, which, when you think about it has to make sense (5 extra lbs carried 2175 miles!), mental capacity accounts for the accepted 80-90% that determines whether you make it or not.

Skidsteer
03-12-2006, 20:01
It's just about time for me to leave, I'll be headed to Springer next Sunday (yeah!!!!!!) below is my final gear list for last minute review. This is my cold weather gear and I did not include the weight of the thermals I am wearing but I did include camp and trail clothes just for comparison. The fleece items and thermals I'm wearing will be sent home when it gets warm and I'll send for my lightweight sleeping bag at the same time. Also, I did not include the weight of 2L water or food which will vary between resupply points. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Hey Badger,

Personally I might be cold this time of year with only a fleece jacket and rain jacket. But, you've got a zero degree bag to offset it so to each his own.

My best wishes for a successful hike(whatever that may be for you:) ) and check in when you can. I've really enjoyed your thoughtful posts. Maybe I'll run into to you down south.

Sly
03-12-2006, 20:20
Personally I might be cold this time of year with only a fleece jacket and rain jacket. But, you've got a zero degree bag to offset it so to each his own.

It was 80* today and spring is arriving quickly. Granted it could always get wintery again but most of the time he'll be hiking in a T-shirt. As long as you're moving a rainjacket is good enough for hiking in the cold and the fleece can be used when he stops. Whatever, it's always worked for me.

Skidsteer
03-12-2006, 20:29
It was 80* today and spring is arriving quickly. Granted it could always get wintery again but most of the time he'll be hiking in a T-shirt. As long as you're moving a rainjacket is good enough for hiking in the cold and the fleece can be used when he stops. Whatever, it's always worked for me.

It probably will get wintery again( at least once ). And I carry a 20 degree bag. That's why I qualified my statement with " Personally ". :sun FWIW, the only article of clothing i would have added, even with a 20 degree bag, is a down vest.

irritable_badger
03-13-2006, 09:46
Hey Badger,

My best wishes for a successful hike(whatever that may be for you:) ) and check in when you can. I've really enjoyed your thoughtful posts. Maybe I'll run into to you down south.

My biggest concern with the cold will be at camp in the evenings. The only puffy jacket I have is my artic parka and there's no way I'm packing it :) I'm trying not to spend any more money on gear so I'm going to chance it and hope Spring rolls around fairly soon. As you pointed out my sleeping bag is my fall back plan; If I'm that cold I'll just call it an early day and jump in the sack. Since I have absolutely no timetable for finishing my thru I think I can afford a few days of "bag time" if it comes to that.

Thank you for your wishes and kind words. I've learned a lot on this site and had a good time to boot :D I'll be checking in from time to time to say hi and update my position on the progression tracker (which is really cool!).