PDA

View Full Version : hanging a Brazilian hammock?

tailwind105
03-12-2006, 14:56
i recently purchased a Byer of Maine Mosquito travel hammock. I've gone with a cheaper hammock, in order to find if i will like or dislike hammock camping, before making a larger investment. With the weather getting warmer and warmer, i would like to set it up and try it a weekend or 2 in the back yard. Which brings me to my question.

What is the proper way to hang a brazilian (amazonas) style hammock?

Would i hang it tight or lose, if lose how lose? (very interested in this question)
5 feet off the ground or 7?
Would the head need to be lower than the feet or level?

I'm aware that some of this is probably preference, but i'm interested in what people like best, which might help me narrow down what will work best for myself. Any and all tips or recomendations are very welcome.

As always, thanks in advance.

littlelaurel59
03-12-2006, 16:46
The directions that came with mine suggest hanging it loose. I prefer mine tight, with head slightly higher. When hung level, my head ends up downhill which I find uncomfortable. It may not be the "Cadillac of hammocks" but I find it WAY more comfortable than the ground, and a lot cheaper than other brands.

Just Jeff
03-12-2006, 18:11
I haven't used that brand, but when I use that style I hang it loose with the foot end a bit higher than the head. Sleep on it diagonally that way (head on the left side of the centerline, feet on the right side). If you like it tighter, it'll be tougher to get on the diagonal but some find it more comfortable that way. Hanging it tight can really increase the force put on the ropes (and whatever they're tied to), and can cause shoulder squeeze (you'll wake up with sore shoulders). Tight works better for some people, though - experiment both ways and see what you like best!

Height depends on how far apart the trees are that you're hanging from - just adjust the ends up and down so that the bottom of the sag is the right height for you. I like mine about sitting height for warm weather...if it's cold, sometimes it helps to get closer to the ground and cinch down the tarp.

tanpuma
03-20-2006, 23:02
I have that same hammock w?o the net, its a loose hang but not so loose.
Best way to use it is to lie diagonal across the bed. Caution against hanging with nylon cord that can stretch, like para-cord. you will sink throughout the night, how do I know this? I did it :eek:. There is "Static" nylon cord which is fine but not regular nylon cord.
I strongly suggest putting a ground cloth or mat beneath the lowest point of your hammock, that way if you sink a bit you won't scratch your hammock.
My other CAution: you will initially flop in your hammock and become very relaxed. Its addictive, you have been warned.
Liam

peter_pan
03-21-2006, 10:34
Byer used to states, that hammock is supposed to be hung so that the end loops are 10 feet apart for best rests...that worked for us years ago...BTW... you can get this distance first time..every time by putting a ridge cord of that length between the end loops, similiar to a hennessy.

This is a good asym lying hammock...even if the end cords are somewhat of a hassle.

Pan