PDA

View Full Version : Bubble strategy

jurahd
02-14-2020, 12:30
Inevitable norovirus...pooping in woods a novelty, do not shake hands..fist bump.
Decent tent with head room for days of rain..shelters very crowded, but platforms and picnic tables best for gear wrap up and eating...visit late morning when empty.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2020, 13:18
"visit late morning when empty"

I've arrived at shelters in the late morning and my first comment is "You guys aren't up yet?" Especially on a rainy morning.

Night Train
02-17-2020, 10:05
Are you developing a strategy to avoid the bubble or developing a strategy to manage within the bubble?

4eyedbuzzard
02-17-2020, 11:02
If you wait out the "days of rain" in your tent the bubble will pass you and it will no longer be a problem. Completing a thru-hike likely won't be either.

AsoloBootsSuk
02-17-2020, 11:56
Are you developing a strategy to avoid the bubble or developing a strategy to manage within the bubble?

New here, what's "the bubble"?

4eyedbuzzard
02-17-2020, 12:10
New here, what's "the bubble"?The large number (some would say horde) of aspiring thru-hikers departing Springer Mountain and hiking NOBO from roughly March 1st through April 15th. It thins out and stretches out as they make their way north along the trail. But it can be very crowded around shelters and popular camp spots etc along the way. See this https://www.wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

AsoloBootsSuk
02-17-2020, 13:38
The large number (some would say horde) of aspiring thru-hikers departing Springer Mountain and hiking NOBO from roughly March 1st through April 15th. It thins out and stretches out as they make their way north along the trail. But it can be very crowded around shelters and popular camp spots etc along the way. See this https://www.wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

Thanks! Now i know

jurahd
03-01-2020, 19:56
Thanks! Now i know

Sometimes the shelters are full to the max ( in rain) which may be interesting. But not what Thoreau type loners were anticipating. I’ve started in ‘07 and ‘13 from springer, finished other years. (3800 miles.) Seventy years old now, don’t care for big crowd but love the mountains.
Wonderful people from all over, but know this...some walk with hate ...a powerful emotion will get you over.
Carry your problems and get pissed..it helps the climb but diminishes the trek. Choose wisely...as you climb, love is just as energizing. For the sake of transformation you need to walk in peace.
Back in ‘78 I encountered a thruhiker in a stormy shelter night in the presidentials white mtns. The guy rehashed all the slights of home with extreme anger. Taken aback I reassessed the effect long distant hiking would have on ones psyche and noticed on my own thrus the empowerment of anger, the slings and arrows of one’s past..don’t expect an automatic transition for the better..you need to decide.