PDA

View Full Version : Advice Sought for GA loop

boulder
03-12-2006, 22:43
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a 4-5 day loop in North Georgia. Probably looking to go 40 miles. My hiking partner is new, so we should avoid trying to push it too much. Thanks.

Dances with Mice
03-12-2006, 22:52
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a 4-5 day loop in North Georgia. Probably looking to go 40 miles. My hiking partner is new, so we should avoid trying to push it too much. Thanks.There's a network of trails in the Cohutta Wilderness that might meet your requirements. Use the "Guide to North Georgia Wildlife Management Areas" map for trail maps and trailhead access.
http://sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/western/cohutta_wilderness.html

Whistler
03-12-2006, 22:53
Amicalola SP to Neels Gap is an easy 38-39 miles along the Approach Trail and AT. You can leave a car at each end, or get a local shuttler to fill the gap for you. Either end point is very,very easy to get to.
-Mark

Whistler
03-12-2006, 22:53
Oh, yeah. The Cohuttas are nice, too. Lots of options there for looping.
-Mark

Mother Nature
03-12-2006, 23:58
I absolutely love the Cohuttas but I must toss out a word of caution here.

The last hurricane season destroyed a number of trails in the Cohutta Wilderness. It would be best to check with a ranger before heading into the woods; especially if you are not familiar with the area.

Several of my friends have reported that the trail has been completely obliterated in places.

Mother Nature

boulder
03-13-2006, 08:10
Thanks all for the advice. Was wondering if you could think of a 40 mile loop that would include some of the AT (maybe AT and BMT) loop?

Dances with Mice
03-13-2006, 09:28
Thanks all for the advice. Was wondering if you could think of a 40 mile loop that would include some of the AT (maybe AT and BMT) loop?You can do an out-and-back in 40 miles or arrange a shuttle, lots of choices then. The AT, BMT, & Duncan Ridge Trail loop is 60 - 70 miles depending on how you handle the stretch between Springer Mtn & Long Creek Falls. The northern half of the DRT wouldn't be for someone wanting to 'take it easy', tho.

allie
03-13-2006, 11:25
Be careful if you choose to do the cohutta's because many of the trails do cross streams and wading is sometimes a necessity. The trails are not as well maintained as the AT.

Dances with Mice
03-13-2006, 12:04
You could cobble together a Figure 8 hike, actually sort of a triple loop, starting at Winfield Scott. Take the Jarrard Gap Trail to the AT, then the Freeman Trail around Blood Mtn, AT southbound back over Blood to the Duncan Ridge Trail, then do the Coosa Backcountry Loop then take the Slaughter Creek Trail back to Winfield Scott. I don't know what the mileages are, might be a little short. I've hiked all of these but not on one hike.

I also suppose you could start anywhere you choose to park, it being a loop and all...

You can add one or two side excursions to extend that hike, like the Bear Hair Trail down to Vogel or (longer) follow the AT southbound to Miller Gap then drop down the Dockery Lake Trail to camp beside the lake for a night.

http://sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/eastern/blood_mountain.html

The above map doesn't have the Freeman Trail (?!!) and doesn't show that the Bear Hair Trail connects to the Duncan Ridge Trail.

Camping considerations would be that I think you have to register for campsites on the Coosa Backcountry and there are fee campsites (but with showers!) at Vogel, Dockery Lake, and Winfield Scott.

Skidsteer
03-13-2006, 18:29
Camping considerations would be that I think you have to register for campsites on the Coosa Backcountry and there are fee campsites (but with showers!) at Vogel, Dockery Lake, and Winfield Scott.

A small addition to Dance's suggestion. You won't be required to register for a campsite on the Coosa, but you are required to check in at Vogel, answer some Darwinian-type questions, fill out a short form, carry a copy of the form on your pack, and check out at Vogel when you return.

The Coosa is a wonderful trail and especially nice in the spring.

boulder
03-13-2006, 22:08
Thanks ro all for the suggestions.