PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Dried Foods Out Everywhere = Coronavirus Panic

ldsailor
03-01-2020, 19:34
So, I'm getting ready to head out to the PCT in five weeks for a LASH. As I do every year, I get on Amazon to order Mountain House freeze dried meals. Surprise! They don't even list most of the MH meals on their website at this time. Okay, I'm sure Emergency Essentials has them. Wrong! And yes I tried the Mountain House website. They are out of almost everything and aren't taking orders or answering questions. In fact, I found out they shut down their website for a while because the orders were coming in too fast. So why is this happening? Coronavirus. This reminds me of Y2K when everyone was predicting the sky would fall.

So if you were planning on MH meals for your hike or probably any commercial freeze dried meals - forget it at least for now. Me? I'm stocking up on Snickers and M&M peanuts.

Check out this article.

No Freeze Dried Meals (https://www.outsideonline.com/2409958/coronavirus-backpacking-freeze-dried-food-shortage#close)

Slo-go'en
03-01-2020, 19:41
I guess it's never too early to panic :)

All I did was stock up on Emergen-C supplement packs...

needlefish
03-01-2020, 20:27
did you look at Wise foods?

Apollo117
03-01-2020, 21:10
You could try other companies like Heather's Choice or Backpacker's Pantry.

Another option would be to DIY some dehydrated meals. My wife and I bought a $50 Nesco dehydrator and started making our own dehydrated meals. It takes some supplies and planning, but we have more control over our diet.

When and where are you starting the PCT? We're starting at the Mexico boarder in early April.

imscotty
03-01-2020, 22:01
ldsailor, it could be a good time to try some of the lesser known brands.

I like PackIt Gourmet a lot. Pricier, but worth it.
https://www.packitgourmet.com
Maine's Good-to-Go is also very good.
https://goodto-go.com/#

My next PCT hike is scheduled for the end of May, Agua Dolce to the Sierras if I make it that far. The California desert has been hard on me, and this is the driest, hottest section. I am holding off buying my flights till I see how CoVid-19 unfolds. Presuming this hike goes as planned, I would love to meet some WhiteBlazers along the way.

Pringles
03-01-2020, 22:28
That article in Outside says Mountain House makes mint chip ice cream sandwiches... really? Geeze. That sounds pretty good.

saltysack
03-01-2020, 23:18
I’d rather catch CV than eat a MH meal! Try Hawk Vittles or look at skurkas beans and rice or other great recipes...DH beans may be out but unlikely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNI64
03-01-2020, 23:24
ldsailor, it could be a good time to try some of the lesser known brands.

I like PackIt Gourmet a lot. Pricier, but worth it.
https://www.packitgourmet.com

My next PCT hike is scheduled for the end of May, Agua Dolce to the Sierras if I make it that far. The California desert has been hard on me, and this is the driest, hottest section. I am holding off buying my flights till I see how CoVid-19 unfolds. Presuming this hike goes as planned, I would love to meet some WhiteBlazers along the way.

+1 for packit gourmet! Really good food lots of choices and fast service.

saltysack
03-01-2020, 23:26
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200302/a132b1e468b3d482c79a9433f64b73e4.jpg

HeartFire
03-02-2020, 06:14
Glad I have a freezer full of home cooked dehydrated meals for my hikes - I've never bought Mountain house (or others).

Kittyslayer
03-02-2020, 06:34
Went to local Sportsman’s Warehouse Wednesday and saw they had two 4x8 pegboards of Mountain House on sale, maybe 15% off. Waited until I got paid Friday planning to pick up a half dozen for upcoming camping trips. Totally sold out Sunday. Full price meals in other brands like Backcountry still in stock. Can’t tell if Virus panic or something else. Just seemed out of the ordinary that freeze dried food was a necessary panic item for a shelter/quarantine in place event that does not require carrying food.

garlic08
03-02-2020, 08:18
I’d rather catch CV than eat a MH meal!

Hah! Ditto.

When Y2K blew over, friends and neighbors were giving me all their emergency supplies for use on trail. I had years' worth. I sure hope this scare is just that, and maybe we will benefit from it again.

Starchild
03-02-2020, 08:25
While the PCT has much longer carries then the AT between resupplies, it might be better to get use to supermarket resupplies as you won't have MH available at every resupply.

Five Tango
03-02-2020, 10:10
You can always buy Knoor's products,instant potatoes,oatmeal yada yada.Don't worry about Corona virus just yet.Be happy.

V Eight
03-02-2020, 10:17
Hawk Vittles and some of the other lesser known mom & pop should still have
some. I did order several from Hawk last week.
Here are some links, not saying they will have anything, but it should be worth a shot. All of theses are way better than MH.
http://hawkvittles.com
https://goodto-go.com
https://trailtopia.com/

chknfngrs
03-02-2020, 11:20
Ramen Pride

ldsailor
03-02-2020, 11:22
did you look at Wise foods?
I'm trying to stay with something with which I'm familar. I've been eating MH freeze dried meals since my days as a sailboat delivery skipper, which began almost 30 years ago. However at this point, I'll probably end up taking what I can get. Wise's website doesn't have any warnings about long lead times as some of the others do, but then I haven't tried to order anything yet.

You could try other companies like Heather's Choice or Backpacker's Pantry. Another option would be to DIY some dehydrated meals. My wife and I bought a $50 Nesco dehydrator and started making our own dehydrated meals. It takes some supplies and planning, but we have more control over our diet.

When and where are you starting the PCT? We're starting at the Mexico boarder in early April.
I tried Backpacker's Pantry - long lead times. I'm not much of a cook. If I can't pull it from the freezer and put it in the microwave, I don't eat it. Doing my own dehydrated meals would probably end up in food poisoning.

My permit for the PCT is April 9 starting at Campo. Maybe I'll see you out there.

I’d rather catch CV than eat a MH meal! Try Hawk Vittles or look at skurkas beans and rice or other great recipes...DH beans may be out but unlikely...
Yeah, not everyone is a fan. I like them though, and if you shop around you can get some good prices.

Thanks for all the replies. There are several companies mentioned that I have never heard of, so this gives me something to look at.

NBC news this morning had a segment on the run on grocery stores and emergency food supplies. Wow! Talk about major paranoia.

Apollo117
03-02-2020, 13:48
My permit for the PCT is April 9 starting at Campo. Maybe I'll see you out there.

The wife and I have permits for April 7th out of Campo. We just might see each other in town somewhere.

Best of luck finding some dehydrated meals.

C4web88
03-02-2020, 16:01
Maine's Good-to-Go

X2, stuff is legit.

Deadeye
03-02-2020, 17:43
l

x3 - the Thai Curry rocks!

mclaught
03-02-2020, 22:00
As of right now, Sierra still has Mountain House in stock, and several flavors are on sale.

JPritch
03-03-2020, 10:47
We stocked up on non-perishable food items at the grocery store last night. Stuff we normally buy anyway, but just to have an extra reserve of it on hand...in case. People buying the expensive freeze-dried foods really playing the long game! Cereal, pasta, rice etc...will do the trick just fine at home. We also have freezers to store meat.

greentick
03-03-2020, 18:19
Hawk Vittles and some of the other lesser known mom & pop should still have
some. I did order several from Hawk last week.
Here are some links, not saying they will have anything, but it should be worth a shot. All of theses are way better than MH.
http://hawkvittles.com
https://goodto-go.com
https://trailtopia.com/

Thanks for putting these in one place... I've had some of the G2G, delicious (I put cashews in the thai)

Analog_Kidd
03-03-2020, 20:29
Knorr pasta sides and a pack of chicken or tuna are my new go to instead of MH meals. They are a fraction of the cost and I think the volume of food is just right. Just enough to still have some room for desert or a Snickers bar. MH meals leave you so full you can't eat anything else, and I like a little variety in my dinner.

Epsilon>0
03-04-2020, 22:15
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mountain+house

There are lots of Mountain House listings on Amazon.

Kittyslayer
03-04-2020, 22:34
There are lots of Mountain House listings on Amazon.

First four I clicked on said “Usually ships within 1-2 months”

Went to my local outfitter Tuesday morning and they were closed all last week for vacation. Of course they were fully stocked with packs and bulk cans. I warned the owner to prepare for a rush on her stock. Either increase her prices to profit off of hoarders, limit quantities so she has stock for her regulars, or limit to one M. H. per $xx purchase of other stock.

Probably be back in a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see what happens. My impression is some hoarder checks all locations with stock in a particular city and buys them out. Then the hoarder sells at a marked up price on the internet.

BradMT
03-05-2020, 09:23
Well, if you can't get Mountain House, Coronavirus did you a favor... that stuff is toxic garbage!

There are so many other and far better options out there.

AsoloBootsSuk
03-05-2020, 09:36
I'm curious why someone stocking up for the corona Apocalypse would choose dehydrated backpacking meals? When weight is not the concern, it seems like a poor choice. My grandmother could survive for 2 years on just her canning. Damn, now I'm hungry for venison over rice, lol

V Eight
03-05-2020, 12:52
I was at the North Raleigh REI yesterday (3/4) and they were well stock with 3 or for brands.
So, maybe the shortages might be a regional thing.

danil411
03-05-2020, 19:38
The Outside article said MH was prioritizing stocking its retail partners. I think it stopped its direct consumer store/shipments.

Crushed Grapes
03-05-2020, 21:02
Ramen Pride

Always and forever

Crushed Grapes
03-05-2020, 21:03
We are overstocked with freeze-dried foods (all REI-related brands) at my store in DC :)

colorado_rob
03-06-2020, 11:42
So, I'm getting ready to head out to the PCT in five weeks for a LASH. As I do every year, I get on Amazon to order Mountain House freeze dried meals. Surprise! They don't even list most of the MH meals on their website at this time. Okay, I'm sure Emergency Essentials has them. Wrong! And yes I tried the Mountain House website. They are out of almost everything and aren't taking orders or answering questions. In fact, I found out they shut down their website for a while because the orders were coming in too fast. So why is this happening? Coronavirus. This reminds me of Y2K when everyone was predicting the sky would fall.

So if you were planning on MH meals for your hike or probably any commercial freeze dried meals - forget it at least for now. Me? I'm stocking up on Snickers and M&M peanuts.

Check out this article.

No Freeze Dried Meals (https://www.outsideonline.com/2409958/coronavirus-backpacking-freeze-dried-food-shortage#close)I've been to two REI stores in the last few days, both are completely stocked up with the usual brands; MH, GTG, BP and AA.

Decibel
03-07-2020, 01:53
It's the same up here in NH. No problem at all getting freeze dried food.

ldsailor
03-07-2020, 12:29
I've been to two REI stores in the last few days, both are completely stocked up with the usual brands; MH, GTG, BP and AA.

You're lucky. There are no REI stores in west central Florida where I live. The closest one is in the Orlando area, which is 100 miles away. That's about a two to three hour drive, because I would have to go past the attractions area - wall to wall traffic this time of year.

Lynnette
03-07-2020, 15:56
Im sorry there is no MH. How does MH help with any flu? My walmart did not even have green beans? Do they have a magical property to prevent or cure any flu? What am I missing. My prepare and prevent the flu plan does not look like this.

peakbagger
03-07-2020, 16:46
You are trying to apply logic to an irrational response to something most people are clueless about. Some folks seem to confuse CV-19 with a zombie apocalypse.Too much Walking Dead is my guess.

kestral
03-08-2020, 10:56
You are trying to apply logic to an irrational response to something most people are clueless about. Some folks seem to confuse CV-19 with a zombie apocalypse.Too much Walking Dead is my guess.

Yeah, I’m getting the Oh My God A Hurricane Is Coming!!! Vibe. people aren’t thinking, just grabbing stuff off the shelf. Disheartening. Remember that half of all people are below average intelligence. Remember people get scared of things they don’t understand. Remember people go tribal and hole up with immediate family to protect them from perceived danger. Remember in Florida at least people carry firearms and stand their ground. These facts have me more afraid than the actual virus. I wish I could be out in the woods this season ... safer, but I would skip trail days.
Stay safe, give strangers lots of space but remain cordial. That’s my plan.

Night Train
03-08-2020, 11:58
ramen pride

word!!!!!!

Night Train
03-08-2020, 12:04
First four I clicked on said “Usually ships within 1-2 months”

Went to my local outfitter Tuesday morning and they were closed all last week for vacation. Of course they were fully stocked with packs and bulk cans. I warned the owner to prepare for a rush on her stock. Either increase her prices to profit off of hoarders, limit quantities so she has stock for her regulars, or limit to one M. H. per $xx purchase of other stock.

Probably be back in a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see what happens. My impression is some hoarder checks all locations with stock in a particular city and buys them out. Then the hoarder sells at a marked up price on the internet.

AHHH..... Love Earth Adventures Unlimited store in the "FORT"

k2basecamp
03-08-2020, 12:59
No virus will survive in Mountain House Chili Mac w/ Beef ��

Deacon
03-09-2020, 06:36

+1 for Hawk Vittles. Great dehydrated recipes. I think dehydrated food has more taste than freeze dried and I’d had them last six months. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SWODaddy
03-09-2020, 11:03
I've found that backpacking has made me a pepper of sorts as I'm always buying #10 cans I see on sale to repackage for trips. With Mountain House's current expiration dates, any unused cans can be passed down to my kids.

In that vein, I don't know why people are gobbling up dehydrated food when cans of soup or dry goods would do the same. They aren't going to be quarantined for years.

Jayne
03-09-2020, 11:15
I'm curious why someone stocking up for the corona Apocalypse would choose dehydrated backpacking meals? When weight is not the concern, it seems like a poor choice. My grandmother could survive for 2 years on just her canning. Damn, now I'm hungry for venison over rice, lol
Because it won't spoil for a long time in storage and it's in a relatively small package. Freeze dried meals in a #10 can will keep 30 years or more on the shelf and you can keep a couple of months worth of emergency food for your family in a couple of large boxes in your garage. Freezers are great only as long as you have electricity :-? Canning is popular in the prepper community too but that takes work: you can just whip out a cc and buy freeze dried foods (usually.) As others have pointed out, there are lots of alternative shelf stable foods that can make great backpacking meals but they take a little more planning.

AsoloBootsSuk
03-09-2020, 13:08
Because it won't spoil for a long time in storage and it's in a relatively small package. Freeze dried meals in a #10 can will keep 30 years or more on the shelf and you can keep a couple of months worth of emergency food for your family in a couple of large boxes in your garage. Freezers are great only as long as you have electricity :-? Canning is popular in the prepper community too but that takes work: you can just whip out a cc and buy freeze dried foods (usually.) As others have pointed out, there are lots of alternative shelf stable foods that can make great backpacking meals but they take a little more planning.

Very good points, I'm just thinking that in prepping for Covid 19, realistically you could get stuck in your house for 30 days, not 30 years. Small, light, and 30 year storage would not be key factors for a 30 day cache for me. I was at Sam's club buying routine supplies yesterday. The preppers where clearing the shelves, No one saw the irony of standing in line to get samples from the free stand that everyone was touching, including snotty nosed children, all the while preparing for a germ apocolypse. lol

Traffic Jam
03-09-2020, 13:45
For long-term food preservation, lacto fementation is a better alternative to canning. It’s nearly fool proof as the lacto bacillus overwhelms harmful bacteria and the prep is incredibly quick and easy. All that’s needed is a vessel, a weight to keep the food below the brine, salt to make the brine, and cheesecloth for a lid.

it took me less than 10 minutes to prepare these peppers for fermented hot sauce. My lid is from Kraut Source.

Alligator
03-12-2020, 22:41
Had a laugh while shopping the other day thanks to hikers. Powdered milk isn't something I normally hike with but I figured get one for my kid in case we get quarantined. I bought the last small can about 2 weeks ago at Wal-mart. I was in Krogers Tuesday in the baking aisle and I looked down at the bottom shelf, big empty space. I'm thinking, ok, what was the big run on this week.? It was the powdered milk. Then I look to the bottom right and there's big cans of NIDO. There were multiple cans of both the infant fortified and the whole milk. I can read Spanish but I knew about NIDO from folks posting about it here. I just bought one. So if you need powdered milk look for the NIDO might still be there.

LazyLightning
03-17-2020, 12:24
Knorr pasta sides and a pack of chicken or tuna are my new go to instead of MH meals. They are a fraction of the cost and I think the volume of food is just right. Just enough to still have some room for desert or a Snickers bar. MH meals leave you so full you can't eat anything else, and I like a little variety in my dinner.

well I guess everyone is different... I could eat a Knorr side, a Mountain House 2-3 serving meal, some snacks, dehydrated apples with penut butter, some candy and still be hungry when I went to bed! ... and I'm just a skinny 140lbs. I am looking into other better quality meals in this thread as I don't mind paying a little more for something that's worth it.