PDA

View Full Version : seeking solitude on an overcrowed trail

neo
03-13-2006, 13:42
how many people here that hike the overcrowed AT seek solitude by hiking at times when less people are on the trail,avoid shelters or hike thru crowed areas real quick,i dont understand why so many hikers have to have company of others so badly,solitude is so wonderful:cool: neo

Seeker
03-13-2006, 14:17
here's a possible explanation:

most people don't have a lot of time to do a long hike. weekends, a couple weeks off a year, etc. it takes a few days of trail time to undo the societally-learned behavior of dealing with the company of others at all times... (it takes me about 2 days to get used to solitude again, and about 3 days before i get my sense of smell back.) but until then, the silence echos, more to some than to others...

so most people never get comfortable with being alone. it's also a safety thing... or more like a safety blanket... having others around makes them feel safer, especially if they don't have a lot of experience.

lastly, man is a social being... not everyone, and not all people at all times. but overall, we prefer the company of others... and some languages don't have a term for 'privacy'... it's unfathomable in some cultures. but there are those, like yourself, who evidently prefer to be entirely alone all the time. others like to be with other people all the time. and others fall in between. sort of like the youngest members of large families... they are used to the hubbub of a lot of siblings and are often uncomfortable alone...

anyway, hope that sheds some little bit of light in a corner...

napster
03-13-2006, 14:27
I like to hike south in the spring and north in the fall however i've been thinking about going with the flow.

Alligator
03-13-2006, 14:39
Most of the time I do--hike during less traffic. I don't sleep in the shelter unless I'm the only one there, preferring a tent site away from the shelter or finding a suitable site further down the trail. Water is generally the determining factor, but I carry extra capacity to be able to move further on. I also time my hikes to be outside the thru-hiker pack as I am able.

Once in a great while I insert myself into the pack, mostly for comparison. But the rhythm is never the same. Thrus generally move faster and aim for towns when I don't need to. Making social connections will always be at the bottom of my list for hiking anyway. I hike for the solitude.

SGTdirtman
03-13-2006, 14:48
If I never saw another person while on the trail I would be in my glory... part of going hiking for me is getting away from people. So I generally always try to hike south so I pass by most of the thru hikers, I hate shelters but will stay "near" them when its illegal to camp anywhere else but my tent is usually pretty far off and well hidden.

I dont mind people stopping and talking to me on the trail but prefer them to just do the polite knod and get away from me. I'm not even a very social person in normal society :rolleyes: luckily my apearance tends to give most hikers the impression I'm probably not the best for making conversation with. :D

TwoForty
03-13-2006, 18:47
Sometimes I like solitude, sometimes I like people. When I want to be around hikers, I hit the AT. When I want to be around less people or just with my friends, I hit the lesser known trails in the area.

KirkMcquest
03-13-2006, 18:51
Sometimes I like solitude, sometimes I like people. When I want to be around hikers, I hit the AT. When I want to be around less people or just with my friends, I hit the lesser known trails in the area.
I agree, there are other trails that are better suited to solitude. Hiking SOBO is supposed to offer abit more solitude, or so I'm told:)

Almost There
03-13-2006, 21:02
What is the big deal? Most of the time when I have hiked it's been alone...even when hiking with others. I hike at my own pace and they at theirs. Even when I hiked Springer to Neel's in the middle of March last year I usually only saw 3-5 hikers on a given day. Granted at night I usually saw anywhere from 8-15, but I had my solitude during the day...and I enjoyed the social aspect at night, but could always retreat to my tent if desired. If you want complete solitude all the time hike other trails or hike off peak season. The BMT is a great trail for solitude as are some others. The Duncan Ridge here in Georgia is another great trail, 3-5 days and likely you won't see another person. Face it part of the price of protecting the trail means that awareness will bring other hikers. However you can always find times during the year where you won't see others.

I guess my question is what constitutes "crowded" to you?

Skidsteer
03-13-2006, 21:29
What is the big deal? Most of the time when I have hiked it's been alone...even when hiking with others. I hike at my own pace and they at theirs. Even when I hiked Springer to Neel's in the middle of March last year I usually only saw 3-5 hikers on a given day. Granted at night I usually saw anywhere from 8-15, but I had my solitude during the day...and I enjoyed the social aspect at night, but could always retreat to my tent if desired. If you want complete solitude all the time hike other trails or hike off peak season. The BMT is a great trail for solitude as are some others. The Duncan Ridge here in Georgia is another great trail, 3-5 days and likely you won't see another person. Face it part of the price of protecting the trail means that awareness will bring other hikers. However you can always find times during the year where you won't see others.

I guess my question is what constitutes "crowded" to you?

What Almost There said. If you meet someone going the opposite direction all that common courtesy requires is a respectful nod. If you find yourself hiking beside someone but prefer to be alone: Speed up, slow down, or take a long break-but in all cases clam up! All but the simplest dullards will get the hint. If all else fails, see the female topics thread "Unwanted Company".:D

Catsgoing
03-13-2006, 21:51
Skidsteer ([email protected]) I like your answer!

Always be polite!

The Beach is my get away down here in Florida.

The best Beach weather is now! And all the Snow Birds have Flocked here.

I do the nod thing would hate to be rude.

My son's and X make there living off them this time of the year!

Vi+
03-13-2006, 22:39
Neo,

I realized long ago, when you make plans with another person the entire enterprise is jeopardized if the other person has to cancel. The more others involved, the greater the chance of cancellation.

I have hiked solo the past forty years. I never speed up to accommodate another hiker. I never slow down for another hiker. I never take breaks early. I always stop to enjoy whatever interests me without feeling I’ve inconvenienced another. I always have the best company.

I’m fortunate to live near the AT and many more miles of other trails. I hike most often on non-AT trails. I tend to hike the AT when others are gone - fall, winter, spring, rainy days, cold days, and windy days.

Sometimes, I’ll pass other hikers and only acknowledge their presence; it depends upon the hiker and my mood. It’s great to be alone; when you love being alone, it’s called “solitude.” When you hate being alone, it's called “loneliness.”

Sometimes, I’m thrilled to meet another hiker, usually on some obscure section or during less than ideal weather - they’re almost always solo, also - and we’ll stop, by some tacit mutual agreement, and have a great chat; sometimes even coffee and tea. It’s great when you meet someone and realize he/she fully appreciates the same wonders of hiking. A strange thing happens amid all this joy; neither of us exchanges information to meet again - we’re solo hikers.

bfitz
03-14-2006, 00:15
Strangely, I don't hike to get away from anything..

bfitz
03-14-2006, 00:17
I just enjoy the talking to hikers, so I'm actually looking for coversation/interaction...

Sly
03-14-2006, 00:27
Solitude to me is when I'm hiking alone or with another. Crowded to me is when the other whips out their cellphone.

lobster
03-14-2006, 00:39
Bring a gun and get rid of all those crows!

mambo_tango
03-14-2006, 01:42
If all else fails, see the female topics thread "Unwanted Company".:D

Yeah just start tellin' people you love them. You will have all the solitude you want.

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 01:46
Yeah just start tellin' people you love them. You will have all the solitude you want.

Since you haven't admitted your love for me yet ( even though we know the truth), I'll assume you don't want solitude from Mcquest. Clever girl:-?

mambo_tango
03-14-2006, 02:24
I love you Kirk

neo
03-14-2006, 09:25
I love you Kirk

tango and kirk a couple,thats awesome:cool: neo

Almost There
03-14-2006, 09:31
Awww! A trail couple before even hitting the trail. Wait a second...she's with Kirk?!?:eek:

neo
03-14-2006, 10:30
Awww! A trail couple before even hitting the trail. Wait a second...she's with Kirk?!?:eek:

awesome a trail couple,they are gonna git hitched this year on mount katahdin:cool: neo

digger51
03-14-2006, 12:37
Where do we send the sympathy cards to Mambo?

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 13:20
I love you Kirk

I KNEW it!!!!!:sun

mambo_tango
03-14-2006, 13:23
:banana Yes Kirk, we should get married (did I just say the M word? I think I did!). :banana

Honestly I told him he was way too old for me and he wouldn't be able to keep up. :rolleyes:

neo
03-14-2006, 13:24
I KNEW it!!!!!:sun

congrats to ya,she is a cutie:cool: neo

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 13:29
Couldn't resist my charms. Must be the bad boy thing.

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 13:30
congrats to ya,she is a cutie:cool: neo

Thanks buddy;)

mambo_tango
03-14-2006, 13:36
the bad boy thing.

Boy? I thought you told me you were a man in the NOBO '07 Pool League? I have been deceived! I just can't handle being lied to! I don't think it is going to work out between us.

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 13:45
:banana Yes Kirk, we should get married (did I just say the M word? I think I did!).

AAH, how I've longed for this moment, my little rose peddle. Yes, I will marry you, yes, YES, a thousand times YES!!!

mambo_tango
03-14-2006, 13:47
I get the feeling you are only reading what you want to read.

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 13:50
I love you Kirk

..........! Sweet music:p

mambo_tango
03-14-2006, 13:55
I have decided to become a nun.

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 14:01

:eek: How quick the sun can drop away. It would have been better not to have loved at all!:(

mambo_tango
03-14-2006, 14:09
Did I break your heart?

neo
03-14-2006, 14:12

marry him,i will even do the ceromony:cool: neo

KirkMcquest
03-14-2006, 16:29
Did I break your heart?

Sorry, I was too busy sobbing to respond. Yes, I hope your proud of yourself.

Almost There
03-14-2006, 17:28
AHHH, the girl is learning I think she should be just fine on the trail if she can crush the heart of the great KirkMcQuest!

mambo_tango
03-16-2006, 15:55
I'm not even Catholic though......is there a Baptist equivalent? :D

Almost There
03-16-2006, 16:05
Mambo....The trail makes no such distinctions!!!

mambo_tango
03-16-2006, 16:07
So I could be a Baptist Nun?

Almost There
03-16-2006, 16:22
As far as the trail is concerned...SURE!

That reminds me Orangebug and I have talked about a great idea for a club...BAPTIST HELL....It's where all the cool people go...there will be drinking and dancing. Party till the sun comes up. Everyone will want to go to Baptist Hell. I can see the fortune I'll make right now.

Mambo...Screw being a Baptist Nun...instead come to Baptist Hell...you'll have more fun!!!