PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Snow Update

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-13-2006, 14:59
Entered the Smokies NOBO on Sun, Mar 5th and last day in the park was the 9th. At that time, even though we had a little snow/ice/rain on day 2, most of (all?)the trail to Clingmans Dome was snow free. However once past the Dome I would say that at least half the trail was still covered in snow, ice, or a mixture of both. That kind of sucked. Boots didn't begin to dry until day 5. Once past Old Black, it was an easy, snow free cruise. Snow was deep enough in some areas where you could post hole if you wern't walking in the steps ahead. The last few days have been really warm so maybe some of it has melted off, or turned to slush, or turned to mud. Feel confident that if I can get past Roan without seeing snow, I won't see any again except maybe some freak late summer/fall storm in the Whites or on Katahdin.

neo
03-13-2006, 15:03
here is were i look to check weather in the smokies:cool: neo

http://www.mtleconte.com/links.html

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/MRX/RTPMRX

hustler
03-13-2006, 18:27
I wouldn't count on not walking in snow again. I got hit April 1st in 2004, and April 22nd in 2005.

ed bell
03-13-2006, 20:52
Here in the Southern Appalachians (lets say South of Va. border for frame of reference sake only) is where I have done all my backpacking, and the latest I have seen accumulated snow on the ground/ with snow falling is May 9th. We were at around 5700'-6000' in the Middle Prong Wilderness. This is a good bit East of the AT so I imagine the West slopes of the ridges the AT follows may have seen winter events even later in the year than that.:cool:

littledragon
03-20-2006, 11:33
Can anyone give me an update on the snow levels in the Smokies? I am heading that way Sunday for a few days- Newfound Gap to Fontana. I appreciate any info you can provide- thanks.

Minerva
03-20-2006, 12:10
Littledragon,
Going SB from NFG, you'll encounter crusty, icy trail on the north side of Clingman's and a little bit of the same on the southside, then clear sailing to Fontana.
Cindy

Trail Yeti
03-20-2006, 13:50
Don't know about the Smokies, but its snowing in Boone right now!!!

tlbj6142
03-20-2006, 13:59
A big snow storm is about to hit the mid-west (on 3/21/06), not sure if it is going to dump snow as far south as the Smokies. Might want to keep an eye on that storm.