PDA

View Full Version : Camp Shoes

FromNH
03-14-2020, 19:00
I bring some lightweight sandal type shoes from Sketchers as camp shoes on weekend trips but do you guys bring them on a multi week trip?

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
03-14-2020, 19:38
I wear Adidas sandals that I got from Costco. They're very lightweight, and they just strap to the back of my pack. I think pretty much everyone else wears Crocs. I could be wrong.

Another Kevin
03-14-2020, 20:01
I think in terms of 'water shoes' rather than 'camp shoes.' but if there's no snow about, I will likely slip on my water shoes when I need to get out of the sack at night.

I bring Crocs if I'm likely to be wading. (Some trails around here are very wet in certain seasons, and some have a lot of beaver activity.) I used to bring kayak shoes - lighter weight - instead of Crocs, but then I started to have real problems with durability.

Caveat: My longest trip has been two weeks. The Crocs came in handy on that trip for a couple of showers at pretty seedy campgrounds.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2020, 20:04
Nope, never found a need for camp shoes.

Since the only way to carry them is usually hanging off the back of the pack, it guess it's not surprising I see a lot of them along the side of the trail. You don't see many thru hikers who still carry camp shoes when they get to NH. Probably fell of the pack way back.

Slow Trek
03-14-2020, 21:53
I don't remember the brand name,but I have a pair of camp shoes that fold in half and zip shut,so they take very little space. Fit in back side pocket,they work for me since I just hate stuff hanging off my pack. Feels awful good to get the boots off some nights,and nice to have something else to wear in towns.

HooKooDooKu
03-15-2020, 01:26
I too carry water shoes that double as camp shoes.
However, I don't use Crocs, they are too heavy. Instead I use lighter weight croc knockoffs you can often find at places like Walmart. But what I use now is available as Bass Pro Shop for $20, RedHead water shoes. Mine, in about a size 9-10, weight right at a half pound for the pair.

TNhiker
03-15-2020, 02:12
However, I don't use Crocs, they are too heavy. Instead I use lighter weight croc knockoffs you can often find at places like Walmart. But what I use now is available as Bass Pro Shop for $20, RedHead water shoes. Mine, in about a size 9-10, weight right at a half pound for the pair.

how is the traction on these for water crossings?

and I might as well ask for bare dirt as well.....

globetruck
03-15-2020, 05:32
I have imitation crocs and the traction is about what you’d expect... fair. Bigger issue for water crossings is that the crocs tend to float up and fall off my feet as I shuffle.

I ended up going with a more snug fitting cheap Chinese water shoe I bought on Amazon. They’ve become my go-to camp/water shoe. Men’s size 11 weighs about 10oz which I wish was lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garlic08
03-15-2020, 07:51
No.

The longer the trip, the less I carry.

AsoloBootsSuk
03-15-2020, 09:51
What are your thoughts on Crocs with socks? I am a fan, lol. When I go ultra light kayak camping, I'll wear crocs all day, then when I get to camp I take them off, put on a pair of cotton socks (white, of course) and rock my crocs at camp. If you are wearing crocs, the fashion train has already left the station.

LazyLightning
03-15-2020, 11:02

This is what I have and I love them. Had them my whole thru hike hanging from my pack, no problems, never fell off and never saw anybody else's camp shoes laying along the trail either. The traction isn't bad, hard to judge in water crossings cause even a vibram sole will be slippery on most wet rocks under water. You can hike in them in a jam but I'd double up on socks if I had to, it's not a tough sole and something could poke through. I like them for being so light and then there perfect for water shoes and dry super quick to use as camp/break shoes.

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
03-15-2020, 14:48
What are your thoughts on Crocs with socks? I am a fan, lol. When I go ultra light kayak camping, I'll wear crocs all day, then when I get to camp I take them off, put on a pair of cotton socks (white, of course) and rock my crocs at camp. If you are wearing crocs, the fashion train has already left the station.

I used to have a pair of crocs that I would wear without socks. They have a little plastic knob on each shoe that put blisters on the top of my feet. I haven't worn those since.

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
03-15-2020, 14:49
This is what I have and I love them. Had them my whole thru hike hanging from my pack, no problems, never fell off and never saw anybody else's camp shoes laying along the trail either. The traction isn't bad, hard to judge in water crossings cause even a vibram sole will be slippery on most wet rocks under water. You can hike in them in a jam but I'd double up on socks if I had to, it's not a tough sole and something could poke through. I like them for being so light and then there perfect for water shoes and dry super quick to use as camp/break shoes.

I bet they're comfortable to wear in the water, plus, they dry out quickly.

HooKooDooKu
03-15-2020, 16:46
how is the traction on these for water crossings?

and I might as well ask for bare dirt as well.....
The shoes are a pretty soft plastic. As best as I can tell, they seem to do about as good as boots on water crossings. It's the slickness of the rocks or thin layers of algae growing on the rocks that seem to make a MUCH larger difference than anything I've ever noticed between the shoes v boots.

Obviously the shoes are not as good on soil as boots because the bottom of boots are much more aggressive. But otherwise, the softness of the plastic perhaps makes them as good as typical tennis shoes.

As for the issue of floating... that's where I like the fact that these shoes have straps to hold them in place.

cneill13
03-16-2020, 10:32

+1 on the RedHead water shoes. I carry them on every trip. Your feet are completely covered so no popping your toes on rocks like with flip-flops. They work very well for water crossings.

They do run a bit small so I would order one size up from your normal shoe size.

JPritch
03-16-2020, 11:24
Flip flops for me. They lay together flat horizontally inside my pack. Unless it's deep winter, I just plow through water crossings with what I have on.

Astro
03-16-2020, 12:18
Vivobarefoot Ultra's for me. Only 7 ounces and never lost off back of my pack yet :) with over 2,000 AT miles along with hundreds of miles on other trails. Use more for water crossing, but also slip on for when I need to get up during the night. And of course at hostels.
Not for sure if they still make them, fortunately have a new pair in my closest that I also bought on sale.

HooKooDooKu
03-16-2020, 13:46
Vivobarefoot Ultra's for me. Only 7 ounces and never lost off back of my pack yet :) with over 2,000 AT miles along with hundreds of miles on other trails. Use more for water crossing, but also slip on for when I need to get up during the night. And of course at hostels.
Not for sure if they still make them, fortunately have a new pair in my closest that I also bought on sale.

Are those still available?
Last time I went looking for them, it appeared like they were not sold any more (just what ever leftovers some retails had).

BradMT
03-17-2020, 16:57
I have a 14 yo pair of Croc’s (an early model w/out holes) that weigh 10.5 oz’s for a size 10.

Wanting to reduce that weight, a couple weeks ago I picked these up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XSGW7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XSGW7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
My size 43’s (9.5) weigh 6.6oz’s for the pair… they’re really quite nice and I highly recommend them.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61iffm6tm%2BL._AC_UY395_.jpg (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61iffm6tm%2BL._AC_UY395_.jpg)

Astro
03-17-2020, 18:05
Are those still available?
Last time I went looking for them, it appeared like they were not sold any more (just what ever leftovers some retails had).
Perhaps not, maybe why I got such a good deal on the last pair. Too bad if so, great lightweight solution for water crossings.

QiWiz
03-18-2020, 09:38
I hate to carry the extra weight of camp shoes, so I hike in trail runners and loosen up the laces in camp to make them into slip-on camp shoes. If they are very wet, I bring a couple chicken roaster bags so that I can put dry socks on my feet, then the bags, then the shoes.