PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Fontana Dam Visitor Center

vickietyer
03-16-2020, 15:23
I have heard that it’s safe to leave a car here for 3 weeks, anyone have experience with parking at Fontana, thanks so much.

Seatbelt
03-16-2020, 15:29
I have heard that it’s safe to leave a car here for 3 weeks, anyone have experience with parking at Fontana, thanks so much.
I have parked there for 5-7 days on 2 different occasions, no problems.

TNhiker
03-16-2020, 16:18
i've only parked there for 2 or so days and it's been safe...

you might wanna call down there to the VC and ask about 3 weeks....

just in case so you don't get towed or anything like that....

it's been a while since i've been down there but i think they have designated spots for hiker parking........at least at the VC...

i have also parked at the AT trail head (a mile from the VC) and up near the marina........

all three spots have been fine for me for weekend or a long weekend.....

and fwiw.....there (or at least there was a few years ago) showers a the VC.....

people often mistake them for the bathrooms but once they see someone nekkid in there---they quickly go away...

the bathrooms are on the inner side facing the VC......

Bmelee
03-17-2020, 07:45
Agree that it is a safe place to park. TVA has announced that the Fontana Visitor Center will not open as scheduled this year due to COVID-19, so a phone call to the center would most likely not be answered.

TNhiker
03-17-2020, 10:09
oh, i also meant to put in my reply, that TVA police does patrol that area sorta frequently (at least they did a few years ago)........

so that helps keep some of the crime down...

however, just like any other place, anything could happen......

TNhiker
03-17-2020, 10:09
Agree that it is a safe place to park. TVA has announced that the Fontana Visitor Center will not open as scheduled this year due to COVID-19, so a phone call to the center would most likely not be answered.

might be able to call the marina or the resort.......

Hanabi
04-24-2021, 04:24
I would that it is best to ask about leaving a car there for that long. Also be advised that the last time I was there cell reception was dreadful and the VC was closed. I have Verizon and my friends had AT&T we spent 2 hours wandering around there in February of 2020 trying to get a good signal to call a ride.

10-K
04-24-2021, 13:37
I've been told it's the safest place to park on the AT. Supposedly - I do not know if this is true - the dam is considered a terrorist target and is patrolled not only by county and state LEO but also by Homeland Security and the feds.

I've left my car there for a few weeks multiple times.

10-K
04-24-2021, 13:38
Park in the upper lot.