PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of shelter log books....

Programbo
03-13-2006, 20:07
A couple of months ago I made my first venture onto the AT since my cardiac arrest back in 2004..It had been a long slow recovery and I was very happy to finally be back on the trail even if for a short day hike up to the shelter....You can only imagine the joy I felt being there at that spot after being clinically dead and being saved by the paramedics with but a couple of minutes to spare and then recovering from all the damage to my heart..So I sat down and wrote a very nice and touching entry in the shelter log book on what I had been thru and how much it meant to me to be there again and wished others well and encourgaed them to cherish their time on the trail and their memories of what it meant,etc.. So I go up there with my nephew to expose him to the trail and found someone had removed the page with my entry on it!..I was ever so..I can`t say what I felt...I know just my page was missing as I recall the date and the entries right before it....As if what I had to say was worthless and the silly yuppie comments about "the bathroom is dirty" (There`s an outhouse) have more merit :(

Whistler
03-13-2006, 21:38
Sorry that your entry didn't get to stay. My guess is that they were taken not because they were worthless, but because they were so much appreciated by whoever read them.
-Mark

neo
03-13-2006, 21:39
they are fun ta read:cool: neo

saimyoji
03-13-2006, 21:44
That sucks. Congrats on turning your life around so successfully.:cool:

Was LW in the area? Maybe he needed something to start his fire with.

Programbo
03-13-2006, 23:04
Sorry that your entry didn't get to stay. My guess is that they were taken not because they were worthless, but because they were so much appreciated by whoever read them.
-Mark

I see..So you think perhaps someone was so touched by my words that they took it so as to read again and inspire them or someone they knew?..Hmmm..Being the cynic that I am of modern society I`m skeptical, but I`ll assume that was indeed the case so as to live in harmony with my fellow AT travelers :)

The Desperado
03-13-2006, 23:50
I like to think that Whistler has the right slant on this and think that actually might be the case. I had a somewhat similiar experience a few years back and was told directly that more than a few folks were "touched" by the entry and that was why it "disappeared". My initial reaction was like yours but then felt good about the explination later. You may have very well inspired someone. Best of luck & Happy trails.......

saimyoji
03-14-2006, 00:36
Could the alleged offending log thief not have copied the entry onto a blank page and taken that with them? Was it necessary to take the original?

lobster
03-14-2006, 00:38
The obvious reason is that somebody was inspired by what you wrote.

D'Artagnan
03-14-2006, 09:36
So, if I'm at the library and read a passage in a book or magazine that inspires me, I should rip it out? I guess maybe that's what someone did with the journal entry, but that seems awfully selfish, doesn't it? Like Saimyoji mentioned, couldn't they have just copied it? Or maybe even take a photo of it as I have seen others here post. Just seems wrong to deprive others of the same experience.

Glad to hear that you've recovered and are back out on the trail. Congratulations!

fivefour
03-14-2006, 11:37
I am sure it was taken to be shared with someone who needed it. I can't imagine it being removed for any other reason.

Ender
03-14-2006, 11:42
I'm also betting that it was because someone was inspired by what you wrote, but didn't know that you're not supposed to remove the entries. I'd take it as a compliment were I you. :)

Congrats on your recovery!

Gray Blazer
03-14-2006, 12:30
[quote=D'Artagnan]So, if I'm at the library and read a passage in a book or magazine that inspires me, I should rip it out?

No, but, if you are at the Dentist's office or the Dr.s' office it is then OK.:p

Gray Blazer
03-14-2006, 12:33
Seriously, now here's a positive idea. Maybe it was really wet outside and your journal entry was the only dry paper around to help kindle a fire. You might have saved someone's life for real!

Mini-Mosey
03-17-2006, 06:09
I'm sorry the page was taken. Your recovery is awesome and inspirational.

Just Jeff
03-17-2006, 11:04
Seems like it had to inspire someone - otherwise they would have taken one of the blank pages behind it (for the outhouse, fire, etc.). Like Ender said, they probably just didn't realize how selfish it was to take it instead of taking a picture of it. I'd take it as a compliment, too - and maybe write a note in the journal asking them to bring it back (on the off chance that they come back to read it). In any case, don't stress about it!

Inspiring story, nonetheless.

lobster
03-17-2006, 13:29
You didn't write your inspiring words to have the pleasure of coming back and looking at them??

RockyTrail
03-17-2006, 15:40
If you can remember some of your key phrases, Google it and see if it pops up?

You know...if they love it that much, they may have even copyrighted it!
I've had that done to some of my photos, unfortunately it's not a good feeling.

neo
03-17-2006, 15:50
:D :D neo:cool:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10085&catid=member&imageuser=3462