PDA

View Full Version : Stop or Go?

Glenn
03-19-2020, 17:43
Should hikers get off the trail or keep going? I know all the arguments both sides, just curious where we stand as a whole. I dare people to just answer Stop or Go.

TNhiker
03-19-2020, 17:44
stop

(not much of a dare----and had to add this line to fulfill the 10 character requirement)

FromNH
03-19-2020, 17:46
People should Stop
(Sorry need at least 10 characters to post)

CalebJ
03-19-2020, 17:57
Stop doing long stuff. Weekend trips on less popular area probably okay.

JNI64
03-19-2020, 18:19
Stop!!!!!!

Crushed Grapes
03-19-2020, 18:26
Stop now plz

windlion
03-19-2020, 18:36
Stop! Trail maintainers are being pulled out and hospital beds are filling up in many areas.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

martinb
03-19-2020, 18:50
Good idea to stop. We will probably be on a lock down in the near future and that will make getting home all the more difficult.

gpburdelljr
03-19-2020, 18:51
Stop please.

LazyLightning
03-19-2020, 18:56
I'm still doing 8 days in April but I will have everything I need start to finish, will be in my tent every night and will be in contact with far fewer (if any) people then if I don't go for 8 days. Not in a popular area either.

GooseMan
03-19-2020, 18:59
I was out there 9 days and had a blast. I have never felt so good physically while hiking. However, I chose to stop. The effort was tough enough without distractions but to add questions/concerns about resupply, shuttles, shelters, etc. while at the same time having concern about possibly transmitting the virus to the small communities, I felt it was not worth it. I will admit that I have it easy as a retiree without the financial concerns many hikers have. If things clear up I can jump back on the trail anytime and anywhere. I understand the position of those that intend to keep hiking. You have to do what is right for you and those around you. But, please, stop all the name calling and bashing people who chose one way that is different from your opinion.

Starchild
03-19-2020, 19:19
Stop and go as in

STOP the hike
and
GO home

Captain Panda
03-19-2020, 21:06
Stop and go home to be with your family!

Christoph
03-19-2020, 22:10
I'm still doing 8 days in April but I will have everything I need start to finish, will be in my tent every night and will be in contact with far fewer (if any) people then if I don't go for 8 days. Not in a popular area either.

Same here, end of April/early May time frame. Minimal contact with anyone, tenting it and steering clear of shelters, no town stops in between.

BradMT
03-19-2020, 23:17
Go.........

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
03-19-2020, 23:30
[QUOTE=BradMT;2266250]Go.........[/QUOTE

.......lol

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
03-19-2020, 23:31
Who knows when the entire country could go on lockdown, so stopping is probably the smartest decision.

HooKooDooKu
03-20-2020, 00:44
From what I've been reading, the concern is people congregating at shelters and hostels and then go into towns to resupply and potentially take the virus to these places.

But self contained hikes where you can practice "social distance" should have a very low chance of transmitting the virus... and hence the reason I believe places like GSMNP has not fully shut down.

Paradyz1
03-20-2020, 06:42
Stop. My husband and I decided to postpone our flip-flop thur-hike which was to begin April 2nd at Harper’s Ferry. We would not congregate in shelters but would rely on resupply, shuttles and hostels. We are honoring the request of the ATC and considering the small towns and their need for protection from this contagious virus. We know the many small hostels and businesses along the trail are suffering financially. Hopeful this will blow over and we can start in June....but if not we are ready for next year! We will do some short hikes but not use shuttles or resupply.

Leo L.
03-20-2020, 06:55
There are many good reasons to not go.
Many have pointed ot already that you will have contact to peopl no matter how much you try to avoid.

Another point is, if anything happens to you a load of people and resources will be tied to help, rescue, carry out, bring you to hospital etc.
(We have this happen here almost dayli, whole country locked down people bored so going to the woods uneducated, get injured or lost and need rescue)

TexasBob
03-20-2020, 10:38
Wait .......... see how things are in one month. I suspect by that time you won't want to leave your house and you will be glad you didn't go.

Traveler
03-20-2020, 11:18
It really depends on how one views their own responsibilities in times like these. If concerned with leaving a family behind to fend for themselves as the pandemic matures and spreads, concerned of potentially bringing illness to remote "trail towns" or to other hikers along the trail, or concerned about others transmitting the disease to them, stop would be the appropriate answer. If one is not concerned by these things, the opposite decision will be made.

swjohnsey
03-20-2020, 13:50
Go........

CalebJ
03-20-2020, 14:31
Go........
Given that more and more hostels are closed, shuttles aren't running, etc. - that seems like a bit of a nightmare. For towns that are beyond walking distance from the trailhead, you're counting on hitching which is not a likely proposition at the moment.

rmitchell
03-20-2020, 14:50
I agree with TexasBob. "Wait...."

Wednesday I was set to go out to the section that I maintain in the Smokies but after the cancellations of sanctioned hikes by the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club I decided to hold off. Then listened to the Presidents message to stay home for 15 days, I decided the waterbars can wait a couple of weeks.

Traveler
03-20-2020, 16:25
Sometimes better to remain silent than to remove all doubt.

Grampie
03-20-2020, 16:36
If you have been planning your hike for some time and are looking forward to going, I would recommend the following.
I would wait to the last logical time to do a NOBO. May 1st would be a good time to start and have enough time to finish, provide that the government doesn't close the trail. A lot can change in 6weeks.
Depending where you live it may be a little difficult to get to Springer. Check out your various options. As far as getting off the trail and returning home, for what ever reason, you can always find a way. A lot of folks would be glad to help a stranded hiker.
Food supply would probably be a problem. Do as many mail drops as you can. I dought that the PO would close. Truck stops will stay open, Check where the trail is close to a major road for truck stop locations.
Use a lot of personal hygiene practices. Sleep in a tent and avoid shelters and privies. Keep your distance from others.
If you are a guy who likes a challenge, go for it, especially if you a younger person.
By the time you get to Maine, this corona virus thing will be gone and you will be glad you decided to go.

Leo L.
03-20-2020, 16:52
Sorry to tell you, the Corona Virus will not be gone. It will be part of our life for many years.
Only hope is, that at some time a vaccine will be available and everybody (well, at least 80-90%) will have a shot, so that the virus cannot spread widely again.

BradMT
03-21-2020, 17:00
Go.........

.......lol

Explain to me what's funny?

greentick
03-22-2020, 22:31
Sorry to tell you, the Corona Virus will not be gone. It will be part of our life for many years.
Only hope is, that at some time a vaccine will be available and everybody (well, at least 80-90%) will have a shot, so that the virus cannot spread widely again.

Right! This thing isn't going away anytime soon. We've had flu vaccines for decades and rarely does it achieve even 50% effectiveness. We've had Tamiflu etc for many year and still 15-30k die of the flu every year. Wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face.

Crossbar
03-22-2020, 23:54
Stop .

AsoloBootsSuk
04-27-2020, 08:06
Find a new place to Go. Leave the security of the trail, shelters etc. Driving home from my "essential" job I stop and walk in SGLs. I don't walk on roads or use parking areas. I have not seen anyone. I did get a tick bite. I feel for people who are jammed into areas where this is not possible.

steve_zavocki
04-27-2020, 12:14
Go. Live your life. Let them who want to stay home, stay home, but don't let them tell you what to do with your life.

Average Hiker
04-27-2020, 12:42
I left my thru in March, in order to go home and be close to family. The trails are going nowhere - I'll go back this year.