PDA

View Full Version : What did you do today?

Slo-go'en
03-22-2020, 17:56
I climbed Carter dome to make bubbles.

Also for the view:

Hiked up to Carter notch hut via 19 mile brook trail. Found the caretaker ice fishing and skating on the pond. Just few others out, meet 7 people all together. The roads are nearly deserted.

Still lots of snow up high, but getting real thin down low and real icy. Microspikes the whole way. They have gotten a lot of use this winter. The climb out of Carter Notch was treacherous, I'm amazed we made it without sliding back down and breaking a leg. Once we started up, there was no turning back. Going up was still safer then going back down. The decent off of Mt Hight was a lot safer, although pretty steep in it's own right.

11.5 miles, 3700 elevation gain, 7.5 hours with an hour of breaks along the way. I'm a tad sore.

Sorry the rest of you are in lock down...

JNI64
03-22-2020, 18:19
That's freaking awesome slo, who can't smile at bubbles? Thank you for putting that up. If my math is correct that's about 2mph not bad good for you. Forgot to answer your question today I walked my dog around the block and watched Netflix and chilled. (He,he). The rest of the week I'm on call and fri I have to go in.

johnnybgood
03-22-2020, 18:22
What are you doing today —
Well, I’m on call today so really nothing as exciting as you.
Sounds like you had an adventurous day, sore muscles will remind you of this fact.

Christoph
03-22-2020, 18:32
Nothing exciting here. Went to work, apparently I'm "essential" (hotel maintenance) so there's that. But, I am planning a short section soon so that's pretty fun.

Lone Wolf
03-22-2020, 18:44
drove a shuttle van full of creeper trail riders. builds immunity

imscotty
03-22-2020, 19:37
Great photos.
Nice report.
I did my taxes today :(

chknfngrs
03-22-2020, 19:51
took my kids out ridin bikes

peakbagger
03-22-2020, 20:07
I was just down the road on Wildcat D. Nice to be able to do a "local hike for exercise". 100 mile visibility day, folks that go by in the summer rarely if ever get days with visibility like this in the summer or fall.

Traffic Jam
03-22-2020, 20:23
Lets’s see...I made myself a new linen shirt, took my red cabbage with beets and apples out of the fermenting crock and transferred to Mason jars, fed my ginger bug, practiced my fiddle outside on the deck, FaceTimed with my kids and granddaughter, swept the floors, washed dishes, folded laundry, made soft tacos for dinner, and prepped for getting called into work tomorrow. I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

eblanche
03-22-2020, 20:27
Think I might head out there tomorrow for the snow! I don't normally see much of a soul where I tend to hike in the Whites. I don't imagine this time will be any different..:)

*Holding on to any glimmering hope of the cdt this year...

Slo-go'en
03-22-2020, 22:06
Think I might head out there tomorrow for the snow! I don't normally see much of a soul where I tend to hike in the Whites. I don't imagine this time will be any different..:)*Holding on to any glimmering hope of the cdt this year...

Looks like it will get really sloppy down your way early Monday evening.

Slo-go'en
03-22-2020, 22:15
I was just down the road on Wildcat D. Nice to be able to do a "local hike for exercise". 100 mile visibility day, folks that go by in the summer rarely if ever get days with visibility like this in the summer or fall.

Yep, most days in July you can barely see across the valley.

Tuxhiker
03-23-2020, 00:54
Today I hiked a 4 mile section of the Tuxachanie Trail (in south Mississippi). Weather was perfect! High today of 76. Tomorrow will be in the 80's (yuck). Only saw 2 couples and a few lizards.

psyculman
03-23-2020, 06:32
All the mountains were in their glory, on my way to work. And memorable Alpen glow on the way home. Perfectly clear cold sky! But the scenery is beautiful no matter the weather here. IMO

CalebJ
03-23-2020, 09:41
Let's see...
No-contact coffee with my parents who stopped by on a walk around the neighborhood.
Built a Whitewings plane from an ancient kit with my 5 year old son and flew it outside.
Listened to the week's sermon from home.
Went on a house-wide scavenger hunt organized by my son.
Ordered a slew of model rockets to build in the near future when we're all stuck at home in isolation.
Stopped by the grocery store for a few more things to keep things going another week.

All in all not a terrible day. Looking forward to things settling down, but not optimistic that it will be before mid summer at the earliest.

ldsailor
03-23-2020, 12:48
Cried about my PCT permit day arriving in two week with the full knowledge that I ain't going anywhere. Drew up new plans to go to Maine in late June to finish the last 265 miles of the AT. Then head to Kennedy Meadows North to hike south to Campo in August.

This damn coronavirus better not screw up my plans a second time or I'll... I'll probably stay home and binge old episodes of Seinfeld.

tiptoe
03-23-2020, 13:39
With wet, gloppy snow coming down -- more than we've seen in weeks here -- I and my dog are forgoing our daily walk in the park. Instead, I baked two loaves of pumpkin bread, tidied up, surfed the web, started the woodstove, and am about to work on my taxes. The little seedlings under my grow lamp help me look ahead to better times. This too shall pass, as they say.

atraildreamer
03-23-2020, 15:27
I wonder what the effect on air pollution levels is going to be as a result of the curtailment of airline flights and unnecessary auto travel?

I remember reading that the 5-day shutdown of all flights after 9-11 caused a signifiicant drop in the pollution levels.

Carbo
03-23-2020, 17:55
Pouring rain here all day. Gutter was clogged and driving me nuts, so I got out my rain gear, climbed the ladder and cleared it out. Highlight of the day!

TexasBob
03-23-2020, 18:14
I wonder what the effect on air pollution levels is going to be as a result of the curtailment of airline flights and unnecessary auto travel?

I remember reading that the 5-day shutdown of all flights after 9-11 caused a signifiicant drop in the pollution levels.

I remember hearing about this:

https://news.psu.edu/story/222587/2002/08/15/research/jet-contrails-alter-average-daily-temperature-range

Night Train
03-23-2020, 18:24
Slo... The sky is so blue in your pics, absolutely stunning. Happy someone is able to enjoy the peaks. Myself, I am working three arson case files that will probably never get past the prosecutor. Pretty much par in the fire business.

Traffic Jam
03-23-2020, 18:44
Got called into work then sent home two hours later. :(. Walked 3.5 miles followed by 50 sit ups, 50 modified push ups, and some planks (I suck at all of it but do it anyway). Cleaned out some shoeboxes full of junk, did the usual housekeeping chores, made chicken stock and chicken noodle soup to go with my turmeric and ginger sourdough bread.

Deadeye
03-23-2020, 22:22
I set up the hammock in my backyard and practiced cold-weather napping. It was an excellent test!

JNI64
03-24-2020, 08:40
I can tell you what I won't be doing today, I won't be going out except for store or work. Wv is now on lock down, sucks I was gonna take my dog down to the c&o canal today. Seemed like a better choice as a wider path 20' not as confined as the AT path. The AT trailhead parking lots around here have been completely full. Just got real! :mad: Does this mean I can't take my dog around block for a walk? I suppose it does anyone know this? Oh he's gonna be mad and confused we never miss our walks.

Slo-go'en
03-24-2020, 08:56
Looks like I'll be shoveling 6" of snow off my driveway today, just in case I need to go somewhere :)

Leo L.
03-24-2020, 09:08
During the last few days of Corona lockdown, I cut and chopped all the firewood that had collected over the years.

Now that the barn is full of firewood, and as I took the opportunity and time to cut several dead trees (3x Ash and 1x Larch) on my proprty I'm in need of a decent wood rack now, of which I've made a nice CAD design yesterday evening and am going to build in real right now.

TexasBob
03-24-2020, 09:32
Plan for the day - yard work (it is spring time here), take a walk with my wife, Sudoku and make tacos for dinner.

Deadeye
03-24-2020, 13:39
Looks like I'll be shoveling 6" of snow off my driveway today, just in case I need to go somewhere :)
I've decided to let mine melt, even if it takes a week. Shoveling season is officially ended for me!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-24-2020, 13:48
What did you do today? (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/136403-What-did-you-do-today/page2)
Same thing I do every day, Pinky.....try to take over the Trail !!!!

BillyGr
03-24-2020, 13:51
I can tell you what I won't be doing today, I won't be going out except for store or work. Wv is now on lock down, sucks I was gonna take my dog down to the c&o canal today. Seemed like a better choice as a wider path 20' not as confined as the AT path. The AT trailhead parking lots around here have been completely full. Just got real! :mad: Does this mean I can't take my dog around block for a walk? I suppose it does anyone know this? Oh he's gonna be mad and confused we never miss our walks.

I would think that walking a dog is OK - even NY allowed solo exercise and said nothing about animals.

And even if not it still counts as exercise for the day.

Cheyou
03-24-2020, 14:45
I would think that walking a dog is OK - even NY allowed solo exercise and said nothing about animals.

And even if not it still counts as exercise for the day.
I agree dog walking alone is ok. Have bin doing 8 miles a day with Mr Pickle.

SoaknWet
03-24-2020, 15:33
Talked to my nurse for about an hour, on the phone, found out the mass in my left lung is NOT cancer, hung up the phone grabbed backpack went for a short 4 mile hike.

BayouWanderer
03-24-2020, 15:37
Worked on breaking in some new trail runners early this morning walking the seawall. The normal crowd of joggers is gone, go figure.

JNI64
03-24-2020, 17:02
Talked to my nurse for about an hour, on the phone, found out the mass in my left lung is NOT cancer, hung up the phone grabbed backpack went for a short 4 mile hike.

Congrats!!

peakbagger
03-24-2020, 17:25
Definitely a great reason to go for hike!

SkeeterPee
03-24-2020, 18:09
I hiked 11 miles to try to help keep my trail legs. Iwas on an AT thru hike at Erwin and got off trail Thursday. Since I quit my job to do this hike, I am hoping I can get back on the trail in a couple months.

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2020, 18:48
Talked to my nurse for about an hour, on the phone, found out the mass in my left lung is NOT cancer, hung up the phone grabbed backpack went for a short 4 mile hike.:sunGreat news!

Traffic Jam
04-01-2020, 20:17
Rode my bike around the neighborhood, worked on a sewing project, did the normal household chores, played my fiddle.

swjohnsey
04-01-2020, 22:13
I flew the RV-4 from Bishop to Edinburg about 100 miles, took me 30 minutes. Had a little bit of a tail wind and a ground speed of 215 mph.
Had another RV owner help my change brake pads.

garlic08
04-02-2020, 07:46
I cycled 25 miles from the place I'm staying the winter to a Florida Trail trailhead and found out the FT is closed. Someone I met cycling told me a section of the FT is paved and can make a nice 60 mile loop with some county roads. I had to get creative and explore off my map to get in my 60 road miles. I saw a lot of swallow-tailed kites, pelicans, and some livestock.

I had been cycling about 100 miles a week this winter, now it's over 200 with little else to do. We're doing a favor, watching a house and dogs for friends on a cruise. Cruise got cancelled in Australia, friends are hunkered down in Perth and we don't know when we'll be able to get back to Colorado. I'm missing the high country and trails, but a mansion on a central Florida lake ain't too bad.

colorado_rob
04-02-2020, 10:24
We destroyed ourselves doing a 14 miler on mixed snow/ice in the Lost Creek Wilderness (CO). Yikes, toughest 14 miles I've done in a while, constantly switching foot gear from hiking shoes to microspikes to snowshoes, back to spikes, back to snowshoes, at least a dozen changes total, a one mile section took over an hour each way, swimming in old wet snow, fun stuff! The good news is we didn't see a soul, not one person, though we did see one pitched tent. AND we didn't even leave our own county to do this.

Slo-go'en
04-02-2020, 12:17
I'm fortunate that I can hike from my front door. Yesterday I did a little 3.4 mile hike, which included a 950 foot climb in under a mile. Most of it in the last 1/2 mile. Still a lot of snow above 2400 feet and in the shady areas, despite having a southern exposure. I made it through the snowy and icy sections on the climb okay by being real careful. I hadn't planned to go up this trail, so didn't have my spikes or a poles. On the way down I hit a leaf covered muddy section, slid 5 feet and ended up with my butt in the mud! That was a bit embarrassing.

Today we have a suprise slush storm, good couple of inches of wet snow. It was suppose to just rain. No going for a walk today. Guess it's time to fill up the slow cooker and make my vegetable soup for the coming week. (1 LB diced potatoes, 1 large yellow diced onion, 2 medium size carrots, 2 cans whole corn, 1 can cream corn, liberal amount of Mrs. Dash original seasoning, couple of cups of Chicken broth. 6 hours in slow cooker on low)

Five Tango
04-02-2020, 18:40
Mowed my yard,drove to the post office which now has the door propped open so nobody has to touch it.
Returned home and hid in the basement with my guitar until supper.Also learned how to tie a becket hitch on a
Hennessey Hammock.

RadioFreq
04-02-2020, 18:59
Slept 'til noon. (I'm retired.) Dug out my old Nemo Meta 2P and set it up with rain approaching. Last time I used it I would get "spritzed" when larger rain drops hit the roof. I'm thinking about
using this on the underside. https://www.rei.com/product/882362/gear-aid-tent-sure-polyurethane-sealant-4-oz Anyone ever use this stuff?

Also went to the hardware store, bought and then hung a couple of 4' long LED fixtures in the garage attic.

John B
04-02-2020, 18:59
Mowed my yard,drove to the post office which now has the door propped open so nobody has to touch it. Returned home and hid in the basement with my guitar until supper.Also learned how to tie a becket hitch on a Hennessey Hammock.

This would be a great time to learn some new knots or practice those you know until they're perfect. Back in The Day on WB, there were several members who were very proficient with knot knowledge. There are several good websites on knots and also some good YouTube videos for visuals.

BradMT
04-02-2020, 19:02
Have snowshoed or hiked every weekend lately. Today I worked. It was 10*F last night - we had a fire. We've gotten 10-12" of new snow in the last few days, with the mountains getting more. Shaping up to be another protracted spring. Sigh. But it should make for minimal fires this summer.

Traffic Jam
04-02-2020, 21:59
Walked a few miles, cut out another pattern to sew, did the mundane chores, milled some flour, took my knives to be sharpened (oops, non-essential), ran off a squirrel who was digging in my spinach, sliced the tip of my thumb off on my newly sharpened knife, spent two hours trying to stop the bleeding, sipped some Aberlour 12 yr.

Definitely not going stir crazy. :rolleyes:

GolfHiker
04-03-2020, 13:55
Sadly, my yard has never looked nicer this early in the season, and my home has been cleaned, and cleaned again. Very sad, in an I’ve got nothing else to do way. I think they’re calling it Stay In Place!

Slo-go'en
04-03-2020, 14:41
Sadly, my yard has never looked nicer this early in the season, and my home has been cleaned, and cleaned again. Very sad, in an I’ve got nothing else to do way. I think they’re calling it Stay In Place!

I'm starting to re-read the books on my shelf. Currently "The mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley - an epic King Arthur story. At nearly 900 pages, should keep me busy for a bit. On to the next chapter!

Christoph
04-03-2020, 15:17
Just trying to keep busy. Lots of yard work, painting the house, and welding/fabricating a roll cage for my baja bug project.

Traveler
04-04-2020, 08:31
I'm starting to re-read the books on my shelf. Currently "The mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley - an epic King Arthur story. At nearly 900 pages, should keep me busy for a bit. On to the next chapter!

A great read! To that I will add the full novel, "The Stand" unabridged version at 1,100 pages is, in my view, Stephen King's masterwork and well worth the time if one has a lot on their hands. When done with the book, you can use it to hold shingles down on the roof!

One Half
04-04-2020, 09:31
Not been doing "much" relatively speaking. I was training for a marathon and injured myself about 6 weeks ago. Just gotten back to walking without pain although I have a little inflammation afterwards still. Been doing 1.5 mile walks around the 'hood for the last several days. Actually has been a little painful with the consecutive day schedule. Will try to do 2 walks today for 1.5 mile each. Then we will see what tomorrow feels like. Need to get back to run ASAP as I have an entry for the Marine Corps Marathon in Arlington, VA Oct 25th.

Haus8414
04-04-2020, 21:47
Just finished up with maple syrup season toady! Getting ready to start making a plan to pick off Mountains in the Adirondacks to become a 46er

Slow Trek
04-04-2020, 22:20
Made an appointment to donate blood. Due to the virus,local organization cannot do mobile blood drives,so getting low on supply. They are staggering appointments to keep donors safe,so seems the least I can do.

Traffic Jam
04-05-2020, 16:30
Made an appointment to donate blood. Due to the virus,local organization cannot do mobile blood drives,so getting low on supply. They are staggering appointments to keep donors safe,so seems the least I can do.
Thank you!

peakbagger
04-05-2020, 18:00
I looked into donating blood,the closest donor center is only open one day a week and is booked out several weeks. Every option is a 2 hour drive to another state.

Traffic Jam
04-05-2020, 18:30
I can’t give blood since I lived in Germany during Mad Cow disease. Ugh.

Seatbelt
04-06-2020, 09:57
Replaced lots of old wiring in the barn, installed new LED lights, working on another antique tractor project, etc. Wife is happy that I am home more. The hiking can wait for a while.

blazetrails
04-09-2020, 22:50
Rain all day. I just stayed inside under quarantine. Keeping myself busy though.

Slo-go'en
04-10-2020, 09:24
Today I was suppost to be on my way to Harpers Ferry to start a SOBO LASH hike though VA. But after looking out my window this morning and seeing this, I guess I'll be shoveling snow instead. Or maybe I'll just wait until it melts...

jigsaw
04-10-2020, 09:37
the wife and i should be just getting to atlanta,meeting up with ron brown and heading to amicalola to do the georgia section
instead were stuck here in mass watching it snow.i found things in my cellar yesterday i havent seen in over twenty years
yup im that BORED.hoping this will break by may and we can get back out.

Traffic Jam
04-14-2020, 19:06
Had my fiddle lesson, worked on sewing a dress, made lunch for work for the next several days, rode my bike, sat in the park and knitted.

Slo-go'en
04-14-2020, 19:47
Had my fiddle lesson, worked on sewing a dress, made lunch for work for the next several days, rode my bike, sat in the park and knitted.

A productive day :)

Bubblehead
04-16-2020, 08:36
Here in Port Orange, Florida have been doing 5-7 mile walks everyday between the beach, my neighborhood loop, and the Longleaf Pine Preserve which has 11 miles of trails...
The beaches have some walkers, but it's pretty wide open due to the no laying on the beach rule. I have had Longleaf Pine Preserve all to myself. There are a good number of people/couples out walking the neighborhood.
I have to get out of the house everyday to keep my sanity. I use the Walking the Distance App on my I-phone, where you can virtually hike the AT....it gives me a goal to get out and walk. I'm almost out of Georgia on my virtual AT thru hike!

Leo L.
04-16-2020, 10:11
Lockdown released yesterday, now I'm out for a 3-day loop in the local mountains.
Bursting spring everywhere.
Life is good!

Tipi Walter
04-16-2020, 10:25
Since the C-word hit I've been sleeping in the backyard in a bedroll (cowboy) camp---to keep my Thermarest on-the-ground chops up---and I finally got around to publishing my 27 Etudes for Soprano Recorder I wrote several years ago---

Bed roll camp.

https://musescore.com/user/34686105/scores/6080011

JNI64
04-16-2020, 13:49
I just got finished planting 2- 12' -6×6 posts in the ground 3' deep with 120 lbs of concrete in each and 18' apart. For a hammock , yep that's where I'll be hanging and barbecuing.

SoaknWet
04-16-2020, 14:36
Today I set my ultra lite 2 person tent up in the middle of the living room, under the watchful eyes of wild critters namely my cats. Spent a hour or so watching tv through the door than when I felt like I was getting bored I turned the ceiling fan on HIGH and practiced bad weather camping.

JNI64
04-16-2020, 15:17
Today I set my ultra lite 2 person tent up in the middle of the living room, under the watchful eyes of wild critters namely my cats. Spent a hour or so watching tv through the door than when I felt like I was getting bored I turned the ceiling fan on HIGH and practiced bad weather camping.

Lol, yeah all sure signs we need " INTO IN THE WILD " ! In desperate need of a forest bathing.

John B
04-16-2020, 16:22
Went to work, which seems to be a strange concept for some.

Slo-go'en
04-16-2020, 16:31
Took a walk on the local Rail Trail. Got me thinking. A lot of people have rail trails near-by. You could make it a multiday hike as stealth camping along the right of way is generally pretty easy to do. So long as it's not a busy early morning jogger - dog walking section.

I did a week long rail trail hike in Maine a while back which was interesting. Boring much of the time, but it went through areas one would not normally visit so had it's moments.

Tipi Walter
04-16-2020, 16:40

This comes to mind, as always---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-0KHHdM0o

John B
04-16-2020, 17:57
This comes to mind, as always---

HA! One of my favorite movies! The dialogue still cracks me up when I think about it!

But I put my kid through undergrad and then med school so that she finished completely debt free, so I needed (and still need) a job.

Puddlefish
04-17-2020, 09:04
I sewed 8 perfect masks for my kids yesterday, which seems good... However, I spent the days before re-learning how to use the 30 year old sewing machine, breaking needles, and generally butchering large quantities of fabric.

Lone Wolf
04-17-2020, 09:08
going to buzzard rock later

JNI64
04-17-2020, 09:23
I sewed 8 perfect masks for my kids yesterday, which seems good... However, I spent the days before re-learning how to use the 30 year old sewing machine, breaking needles, and generally butchering large quantities of fabric.

8 kids? :datz

Puddlefish
04-17-2020, 11:28
8 kids? :datz

Hell no! Two adult kids, four masks each. Nursing home director, and victim's rights advocate, so they can't work from home.

Deadeye
04-17-2020, 15:25

I consider myself very fortunate to be working my butt off! My commute has been shortened to a dozen steps down to the basement, but no letup in the volume.

Time Zone
04-17-2020, 17:58
Since the C-word hit I've been sleeping in the backyard in a bedroll (cowboy) camp---to keep my Thermarest on-the-ground chops up---and I finally got around to publishing my 27 Etudes for Soprano Recorder I wrote several years ago---

Oh my! The legend of the Nutbuster Trail has yet another talent. Funny, I've thought about learning recorder (or tin whistle) as an instrument that might be well-suited in size, weight, and durability to environmental conditions one would expect to encounter on the trail. Even tried my hand at fashioning my own flute out of PVC. Sort of worked, kind of a fun project just to prove I could do it, but not good enough to choose over, say, my daughter's old Yamaha plastic recorder from her younger school days.

Funny that Tipi Walter's choice of instrument is comparatively ultralight.

zelph
04-17-2020, 19:03
Went into the woods and located a patch of wild leek while looking for morel shrooms

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachments/img_20200417_152517-jpg.946401/

LazyLightning
04-17-2020, 19:54
I decided against hitting the AT on my week vacation as planned, even though I could have with my tent as everything is still open except shelter camping and privy use. I knew the crowds would be too much. Instead I ended up spending 6 good days hiking with 4 nights camping on the more local New England Trail. Still some popular sections but few and it was easy to avoid people, everybody is really good with and respectful about keeping distance.

It's such a shame the more I find out and see what the NET (and other Blue Blazed CT hiking trails) used to do and to see old trail markings around cliff sections that are now routed around. A few examples I've found is the Tri Mountain peak and ledge it used to follow down to the road... Following Mt. Higby ridge down much further avoiding wet trail, following Lamentation Mt. ridge down further avoiding wet trail. The ridge walk past West Peak that was rerouted down to Edgewood Rd. in the 1990s is now totally hikeable but the trail still goes to Edgewood avoiding a beautiful ridge walk and shorter road walk. The Ragged Mountain/Wassel Reservoir are is a true shame what happened with the trail there, one of the nicest cliff walking sections in the state now avoided because of cliff jumping. The saddest part about it is that there is just as much if not more cliff jumping that goes on now as when the trail went through - so the hikers lose out and the cliff jumpers make out. The place is trashed 10 times worse now as when the trail went through as well.

The NET in MA is an even bigger shame. There are some really nice and big sections of the true/original M&M Trail (Metacomet-Monadnock Trail) that can still be hiked but could not be considered part of the NET because of property or whatever issues. I'm talking like 30-40 miles or more of the original M&M Trail that is now rerouted or a road walk when you follow the NET. There's a few parts where it's totally legal to hike the M&M Trail but theres a few mile road walk blazed around it for the NET, and a lot of people would never know. I would have never known about Mt. Craig - me and my buddy were about to do the road walk and then we just happened to walk by the guy who owns the house that you walk up his driveway briefly then hit the old M&M Trail to Mt. Craig and he was like "Hey you guys doing the trail? … make sure you follow the old route up my driveway to the right". He said some land owner is trying to get $$ and not allowing the NET over his property - but it's ok to hike it.

that's all for now but theres a lot more...

colorado_rob
04-17-2020, 20:24

https://musescore.com/user/34686105/scores/6080011

Oh my! The legend of the Nutbuster Trail has yet another talent. Funny, I've thought about learning recorder (or tin whistle) as an instrument that might be well-suited in size, weight, and durability to environmental conditions one would expect to encounter on the trail. Even tried my hand at fashioning my own flute out of PVC. Sort of worked, kind of a fun project just to prove I could do it, but not good enough to choose over, say, my daughter's old Yamaha plastic recorder from her younger school days.
... Well, since we're talking music and instruments, I just recently completed my little guitar project. A full size guitar is both unwieldy and heavy, and those little backpacking guitars have short necks, and me being not very good at playing, I just can't deal with a short-scale guitar.... SO, I wanted a full-size-neck guitar to play on the trail, PLUS it had to be quiet, basically inaudible except by myself being plugged into a small earphone amp.

So I built the little electric shown in the photo below, sitting next to my full sized strat.

Took me a couple of tries to get it set up to tune properly and easily, finally went with little pulleys for the strings on the bridge end. I didn't build the neck, I bought the same one that's on my big strat.

NOW, I just have to get out and hike with it!

BTW, 2lbs, 10 ounces total strung weight, not bad considering those Martin Backpackers are 3 pounds and have short necks.

Slow Trek
04-17-2020, 21:58
Appointment for blood donation is tomorrow. Blood center called today to remind me,told me to drink lots of fluids. I presume they meant Budweiser,so I am following their advice....

JNI64
04-17-2020, 22:15
Appointment for blood donation is tomorrow. Blood center called today to remind me,told me to drink lots of fluids. I presume they meant Budweiser,so I am following their advice....

Lucky blood recipients. You're a American hero. Thank you and cheers!

JNI64
04-19-2020, 14:19
I just got finished planting 2- 12' -6×6 posts in the ground 3' deep with 120 lbs of concrete in each and 18' apart. For a hammock , yep that's where I'll be hanging and barbecuing.

Today I hung out ( literally) in my new hammock set up in my backyard, Barbecuing and enjoying adult beverages. I think I'll sleep out there tonight, getting hang nights, bag nights doesn't matter right . ( I've heard that here somewhere, tipi perhaps :-? ) ?

Tipi Walter
04-19-2020, 14:34
Funny that Tipi Walter's choice of instrument is comparatively ultralight.

In the old days I used to backpack with a B-flat clarinet so I could make money playing street music off the trail. Then I retired from the clarinet world and went to soprano recorder.

To kill time during this wet-market Fever I have the opportunity to make some buckskin bags with lazy-stitch beadwork---

Leo L.
04-19-2020, 14:39
Never heard about wild leek, but we have ramson (wood garlic) of which we are living on (well, almost) since a few days.
So nice to watch my wife forayin for dandelion, young nettles and ramson to provide a tasty spinach.
(sorry, this post refers to Zelph searching for morels)

Tuxhiker
04-19-2020, 14:56
Tipi, I love the buckskin bags!
What am I doing today? Our beaches reopened yesterday, so I am going for a walk on the beach before the storms come thru.

Traffic Jam
04-19-2020, 15:56
Well, since we're talking music and instruments, I just recently completed my little guitar project. A full size guitar is both unwieldy and heavy, and those little backpacking guitars have short necks, and me being not very good at playing, I just can't deal with a short-scale guitar.... SO, I wanted a full-size-neck guitar to play on the trail, PLUS it had to be quiet, basically inaudible except by myself being plugged into a small earphone amp.

So I built the little electric shown in the photo below, sitting next to my full sized strat.

Took me a couple of tries to get it set up to tune properly and easily, finally went with little pulleys for the strings on the bridge end. I didn't build the neck, I bought the same one that's on my big strat.

NOW, I just have to get out and hike with it!

BTW, 2lbs, 10 ounces total strung weight, not bad considering those Martin Backpackers are 3 pounds and have short necks.

Very cool! Not everyone is a curmudgeon about music in the backcountry. Music is beautiful, whether it’s produced from a skilled hand or not so play it proudly.

Lone Wolf
04-19-2020, 17:23
today we we were trail devils. gave a coupla beers to an older German thru-hiker at Dickey gap

Slo-go'en
04-19-2020, 19:17
I took a walk with my saw and cleared nearly a dozen small trees and countless tree limbs and sticks from the trails which loop behind my place. Meet 9 people on my way back down the popular side. 5 from in town and 4 from Maine. Nice teaser of a spring day, temp hit 60, but a stiff NW wind at times gave a little bite to the air as a cold front approaches.

peakbagger
04-20-2020, 09:24
I did a hike up South Moat in the Conway NH area. First hike where I didn't need traction. Just a few small spots of snow in the shadows. I saw zero people climbing up, 10 groups coming down. When I got there at 8 AM there were two cars in the lot, when I came down around noon the lot was full with a few cars parked along the road. Plenty of room for social distancing on the trail.

Slo-go'en
04-20-2020, 10:37
I did a hike up South Moat in the Conway NH area. First hike where I didn't need traction. Just a few small spots of snow in the shadows. I saw zero people climbing up, 10 groups coming down. When I got there at 8 AM there were two cars in the lot, when I came down around noon the lot was full with a few cars parked along the road. Plenty of room for social distancing on the trail.

A friend of mine did Welch-Dickie yesterday. She said she passed at least 40 people. I bet most were from the Boston area, where COVID-19 is currently exploding. Social distancing or not, I wish they would stay home! At least most of them aren't coming this far north.

peakbagger
04-20-2020, 12:31
One thing good about Welch Dickey is almost everyone hikes it counterclockwise to get the good views early. Start in the early AM and its rare to see anyone going the opposite direction. I wish some of the popular loops had one way traffic like the Franconia Ridge loop. Of course I always do it CW and many others insist its better CCW. The Milford Track in NZ is set up that way, everyone goes one direction so you rarely if ever pass anyone except overcoming the slower folks.

4eyedbuzzard
04-20-2020, 12:35
If I'm doing the Franconia loop via the Falling Waters trail I prefer CCW if it's wet or slippery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Traffic Jam
04-20-2020, 20:26
Cycled 11 miles, broke three sewing needles while sewing blackout shades for my daughter’s camper van, practiced my fiddle, swept and mopped, repaired my hammock, bought vegs for kimchi, listened to an audiobook on the art of organizing and tidying, made a chocolate sourdough starter.

One Half
04-22-2020, 22:23
Short run. First marathon in October if it doesn't get rescheduled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

greentick
04-24-2020, 12:09
Biked around Jekyll Island with the herd. (2 days ago)

ETA: I reduced the pics to not be a bandwidth hawg; maybe too much

One Half
04-26-2020, 19:10
Working on my marathon training. After I got injured I lost all my progress. RAN 3 miles today. No walking. First time since returning to running 2 weeks ago. Now, I just need to keep building my endurance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Crushed Grapes
04-26-2020, 20:35
Started transcribing my thru-hike journals from last year. The first 19 days I wrote in a Rite in the Rain hard journal. After that filled up, I mailed it home, and switched over to journaling in my phone (by this point we were in the Smokies, and I was too tired to write in a book every night). While I didn't write in extreme detail, it's providing an amazing framework for putting everything together. Couple this with all my photos, and it's a great way to put the days together with more memory. It's going to take forever, but it's a great project to work on at the time.

Tuxhiker
04-26-2020, 21:49
Back on the Tux Trail today. Encountered 8 hikers, 7 horseback riders, and a bunch of skinks (not skunks). Can't catch the ripe blackberries - only see green and red ones. Was happy to see mountain mint sprouting up. Tossed a leaf in my water bottle. Blackberries would have tasted better, but appreciated the mint. Was a perfect day - sun shining and high of 76.

1azarus
04-26-2020, 23:25
I ordered an assortment of Next Mile Meals. I hope I like them. I hope I get a chance to eat them soon!

Leo L.
04-27-2020, 08:32
Lockdown released, I did a 3-days loop through the local mountains.
As my Lightwave Pack is still in repair, I had to use my old Lowe monster pack. Carried the snowshoes, too.
Made up for a heavy load of 40+lbs.
There is still zero air traffic which put all the tiny whispers and whizzles of nature in the forground.
So good!

Tuxhiker
04-27-2020, 12:21
Awesome scenery, Leo! I'm jealous. South MS doesn't look anything like that.

Leo L.
04-27-2020, 13:59
Thanks for the kind words!
The spires in the background were my favorite climbing hotspots, back then when I was young.

Mouser999
04-27-2020, 16:10
Hiked Bear Mt. Conn on Sat. with a few from my hiking club. Trails & parking lots really packed. Glad we started real early.
Cars parked along Rt 41 for a hundred yards or so.

FatMan
04-27-2020, 19:06
Did the same thing I do on most days...took a nice walk on the AT. And it has been the best spring ever.:D

Slugg
05-04-2020, 10:25
Went for a 10 mile loop day hike at FDR SP yesterday. Trail was shockingly empty considering some of the horror stories I’ve seen about overcrowding at trailheads, combined with the fact our state just eased lockdown restrictions, and it was one of the first nice warm spring weekends of the year. Park stores and most restrooms were still closed so I guess that explains it.

Ain’t complaining, had a great day. Lots of good hiking there.

Traffic Jam
05-13-2020, 12:24
Climbed up and down the stairs at work this morning then did lunges, squats, and modified push ups. It was difficult to breathe with the mask on.

BlackCloud
05-13-2020, 12:47
Went for 3 days on the AT. Perfect weather and barely anyone out there. Water pouring out every crevice from which it could escape the ground. Waterfalls thundering. A few section hikers only. Back to work from the home office which means back to 1st gear.

egilbe
05-13-2020, 13:56
I ordered some icebreaker t-shirts from Sierra trading post. I noticed my old t-shirts were starting to get holes in them. Last fall, finished hiking the AT in NH and started on VT. Finished hiking the NH48 on the Summit of Carrigain lugging up parts of the flag for the Flags of the 48 and Started working on the Winter NH48. Did three summits before Winter ended. could have been four, but didn't feel like walking over to Eisenhower. I'm getting fat from not hiking every weekend. Was training for a half-marathon, but that was canceled. The runners are to do it "virtually". My GF and I walked the 13.1 on May10th, the day after the race date, when it snowed, so thanks Covid for not forcing me to run in a snowstorm. Ordered a new truck on march 3rd, was scheduled to be built in April, but the plants have been shut down since the middle of March. I'm essential, so I've had to go to work everyday. Stupid Covid.

Roll Tide
05-13-2020, 18:24
Rebuilding a go cart I have had since I was around 10 years old. Rebuilding it for my granddaughter's 10th birthday next week. Lots of sanding and and metal work.

swjohnsey
05-13-2020, 19:56
I saw a momma coon and her babies in the wheel well of a Beechcraft Bonanza. Nobody would volunteer to reach in a pull he out.

colorado_rob
05-18-2020, 09:35
After a looooooong altitude dry spell, due to county stay-out orders, we finally got a good "high" on Mt. Yale yesterday, man, we needed that altitude fix, but it did kick our butts.

Snow is melting fast in Colorado, though we did absolutely need snowshoes just below treeline.

Here's our little group at 14,200 feet (two families, yeah, we kept our distance except for this summit shot, winds were 40 MPH, blew those little corona's away!)

Slo-go'en
05-18-2020, 13:11
Nice summit pic Rob.

Mostly I wander around on the trails near-by with my saw and clear minor blowdowns and remove limbs and sticks. We still have a lot of snow above 3,000 feet and I don't feel like postholeing or hiking in slush. Let the idiots from out of state do that, there's been plenty of them showing up. On no, Memorial weekend is coming end of the week. It's not going to be pretty.

Or I walk down the street to the lake and back, about a 4 miles round trip. Which in fact, it's about time for my afternoon walk...

swjohnsey
05-18-2020, 14:27
I flew around the pattern shooting touch and goes in my little RV-4 following a Navy King Air with a student pilot. Yesterday I saw a snake catch a gecko in my hangar.

Slugg
05-18-2020, 14:58
Went out to FDR SP again on Saturday, hiked a couple loops for a total of about 12 miles..Beautiful day, a little more crowded than 2 weeks ago but not bad. Couple more trips and I’ll have hiked all the trail at the place.

QuietStorm
05-18-2020, 20:28
Went for 3 days on the AT. Perfect weather and barely anyone out there. Water pouring out every crevice from which it could escape the ground. Waterfalls thundering. A few section hikers only. Back to work from the home office which means back to 1st gear.

What section did you do? How much trash did you see on the trail? I am hoping to go out the next few weekends to pick up trash.

Slo-go'en
05-20-2020, 11:17
Yesterday I did a loop down in the Sandwich wilderness area with my hiking partner. (Square Ledge and Hibbard Mt). Figured we'd go to the southern end of the Whites on a mostly south facing trail to avoid snow and the crowds which will be showing up shortly. Didn't look close enough at the map to notice the trail reached 3700 feet and a lot of it was in shadow or the back side of the mountain. 9 mile loop with a couple of miles of post holing. It was quite amazing how much snow was still up there. Man, my Knees are sore today! Wicked steep decent off of Hibbard too.

I hate when these pictures come out sideways and there is no way to rotate it.

RadioFreq
05-23-2020, 19:06
Bought a strap pouch from ULA.

JNI64
06-01-2020, 20:09
Today I went to the gym for the first time since they closed about 2 months ago, they opened last Wednesday. I work 2nd shift so I go in about 9-10 . Very few people, mask not mandatory but I wore my N-95, oxygen deprivation training. So good to get my fat, lazy, undisciplined, couch sitting, whiskey drinking, movies binging butt back in the gym. It's hardest thing to do mentally as well as physically. I was in great shape, oh well couple weeks ill be back to where I was.

Traffic Jam
06-02-2020, 07:39
Today I went to the gym for the first time since they closed about 2 months ago, they opened last Wednesday. I work 2nd shift so I go in about 9-10 . Very few people, mask not mandatory but I wore my N-95, oxygen deprivation training. So good to get my fat, lazy, undisciplined, couch sitting, whiskey drinking, movies binging butt back in the gym. It's hardest thing to do mentally as well as physically. I was in great shape, oh well couple weeks ill be back to where I was.

ha ha! At least you’re honest. I’ve been doing strength training at the gym with a personal trainer and everyone has to wear masks unless they’re 12’ apart which is impossible. I try to walk on the stair climber afterwards but can’t do it for more than 10 minutes with a mask. Can’t believe you wear an N-95, they are horrible.

carouselambra
06-02-2020, 08:19
Last week I took advantage of my WFH situation to visit my mother and work from her house, spend time with her, and do some work on her home. She lives in North Georgia and my brother lives nearby. He has never been backpacking so last Friday I took him out for one night. We walked a few miles up the Approach Trail to a nice campsite. It was a good first night for him.

Odd Man Out
06-02-2020, 09:05
Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a bog, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen. This loop is connected to the North Country Trail by a short side trail. Located just W of M37 about 8 miles north of White Cloud MI.

Mouser999
06-02-2020, 10:16
I spent the day on a fishing boat out of Gloucester Ma fishing for haddock. Almost filled my limit.

Tipi Walter
06-02-2020, 11:53
Last night I slept on a Thermarest in the backyard and this morning I loaded up my vintage 1980 North Face pack and hiked around the neighborhood. Gotta keep up my chops between trips.

Here's the vintage pack from a 1982 hitchhiking trip to see my folks---

Oh and last night I cooked up a big pot of Lambs Quarters gathered from a weed patch in the backyard.

Slo-go'en
06-02-2020, 17:05
I hiked a little of the AT up to Mt Hayes. Saw one other person. Sadly, she missed the view which is a ways off the summit. Still a bit on snow on the Residentials. I guess we officially open up June 14th.

swjohnsey
06-02-2020, 22:45
I was practicing back country short field landing. Climb to 500', cut power, full flaps, land in under 1,000'. Repeat.

Astro
06-03-2020, 00:22
I hiked a little of the AT up to Mt Hayes. Saw one other person. Sadly, she missed the view which is a ways off the summit. Still a bit on snow on the Residentials. I guess we officially open up June 14th.
Slo-go'en,
Thanks for sharing the awesome picture! :sun
When you say open June 14th, do you think that will include the AT shelters between Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch?

Slo-go'en
06-03-2020, 09:47
Slo-go'en,
Thanks for sharing the awesome picture! :sun
When you say open June 14th, do you think that will include the AT shelters between Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch?

I think that means you can stay in a motel, restaurants can do limited indoor seating and you don't need to do a 14 day quarantine coming from out of state. AMC huts will stay closed for the duration, but I don't see how they can keep you from using shelters or tent platforms.

BTW, Black Flies are starting to become annoying.

Astro
06-03-2020, 14:16
I think that means you can stay in a motel, restaurants can do limited indoor seating and you don't need to do a 14 day quarantine coming from out of state. AMC huts will stay closed for the duration, but I don't see how they can keep you from using shelters or tent platforms.
BTW, Black Flies are starting to become annoying.
Great, I really do not want to actually "stay in the shelters" anyway, just want to put my tent nearby since that is where the water usually is.
As for the Black Flies, hopefully they will be gone in 5 weeks (well past Fathers Day).

Traffic Jam
06-10-2020, 19:19
Re-organized my gear closet. Aired out my Western Mountaineering bags. Repurposed the Velcro and clips closure off a threadbare DCF bag. Searched for hours for a missing stuff sack and finally found it one of the WM bags.

Slo-go'en
06-10-2020, 22:29
Great, I really do not want to actually "stay in the shelters" anyway, just want to put my tent nearby since that is where the water usually is.
As for the Black Flies, hopefully they will be gone in 5 weeks (well past Fathers Day).

Putting up a tent near-by may not be possible or legal in many cases. Huts may not have guests, but they are staffed and open for rest stops. You still have to obey the camping regulations. I'm pretty sure the RMC camps will remain closed for the duration, which really puts a crimp on where to stay. If too many people show up and have to "make do", the damage could take years to heal.

peakbagger
06-11-2020, 06:31
Legally all the shelters and facilities in the WMNF have a 1/4mile Restricted Use Area (RUA) that bans camping within a 1/4 mile radius of the facility. Therefore the option of camping adjacent to a facility is not legal. The Mahoosucs are not in the WMNF and therefore the RUA rules are not in effect. AMC happens to manage the shelters in the Mahoosucs and is generally associated with the WMNF so there is confusion. The National Park Service (NPS) AT rules apply to the Mahoosucs shelters and as far as I am aware the AT and its facilities are still officially closed by the NPS.

Slo-go'en
06-11-2020, 08:13
Forgot your starting at Pinkham. All the shelters between RT2 and Grafton Notch have tent platforms, so that shouldn't be a problem. Although maybe "officially" closed, there's no way they can actually stop you from using them. Due to the terrain, there really aren't any other options, except for the one unofficial site north of Mahoosuc notch.

The only problem area will be the Pinkham to RT2 section. You'd have to go all the way to the Imp shelter and that's one really long and difficult day, especially for day 1. Either skip that section all together or arrange to do it as 2 or 3 day hikes.

rickb
06-11-2020, 08:14
Legally all the shelters and facilities in the WMNF have a 1/4mile Restricted Use Area (RUA) that bans camping within a 1/4 mile radius of the facility. Therefore the option of camping adjacent to a facility is not legal. The Mahoosucs are not in the WMNF and therefore the RUA rules are not in effect. AMC happens to manage the shelters in the Mahoosucs and is generally associated with the WMNF so there is confusion. The National Park Service (NPS) AT rules apply to the Mahoosucs shelters and as far as I am aware the AT and its facilities are still officially closed by the NPS.

I am getting a bit foggy brained about the restrictions, but I was thinking that off trail camping in the Mahoosuc stretch (outside of a shelter area) was 100% prohibited in the same way it is prohibited between Hanover and Mooselauke. No?

Also, any chance you can provide a cite showing that camping on a tent platform will remain prohibited, as well as the shelters? I have no reason to think otherwise, but just have not seen that in writing.

Edit: I guess the camping restriction between between Hanover and Mooselauke is just that you need to be 200 feet from the AT, like when in wilderness area. I did not find anything definitive on the Mahoosuc stretch — either the part within the WMNF or the part In Maine. Pretty sure that camping restrictions were claimed by some, at some point. Not sure, anymore.

Also found the Order showing entire shelter area is closed, as you said. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/notices/?cid=FSEPRD729199

peakbagger
06-11-2020, 12:32
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf

As I usually qualify, this document is either poorly written or intentionally confusing to imply that the LNT recommendations are rules. The second page is "nice to do" the third page are the rules that you legally have to do. In the upper left hand corner is the 1/4 mile rule. With respect to the backcountry shelters along the AT, the AMC and WMNF had declared them closed which implies that the tent platforms would be closed. The reality during normal years is its the caretakers job is to cram as many people they can into a small space and shovel their crap out of the outhouse and compost it. This is contrary to most CV-19 management methods. AMC is highly unlikely to add on staff positions to be caretakers are backcountry shelters but then again they are doing it at the huts as the alternative is vandalism and piles of crap and toiler paper in sheltered corners of the buildings.

With respect to the Mahoosucs now that the NPS has full ownership the normal AT rules most likely apply which are generally no restrictions on camping. The AT in the Mahoosucs long ago was mostly owned by the Brown Company in Berlin NH and they required that camping only occurred at shelter sites. They were in business long before the AT so they established the rules for camping in the Mahoosucs from the start. Brown was bought by James River and JR paid for the purchase by selling all their land in Maine to the mill in Rumford. I think part of the sale included protection of the AT in these holdings by selling a corridor to the the state of Maine A successor to James River, Crown Vantage, sold their remaining NH lands in the Mahoosucs to a timber liquidator and after he stripped what he could he did a greenmail and the NPS ended up buying the remaining non owned AT land on the NH side from him. MATC officially requires campers to camp at designated sites but I have never heard it being enforced.

The Mahoosucs may be the only stretch of the AT in NH where above treeline camping is legal during non snow season conditions as it is prohibited outright in the whites.

rickb
06-11-2020, 13:59
The Mahoosucs may be the only stretch of the AT in NH where above treeline camping is legal during non snow season conditions as it is prohibited outright in the whites.

Good stuff.

Of possible interest.

46510 46511

Slo-go'en
06-11-2020, 15:40
I believe camping is restricted to designated sites north of the Androscoggin river, at least according to a note in the Nat Geo map for the region. In any event, camping anywhere else is not real practical.

Tipi Walter
06-11-2020, 16:12
After my May trip I'm still getting some training in with my vintage 1980 North Face pack---in prep for a June trip.

peakbagger
06-11-2020, 19:09
I believe camping is restricted to designated sites north of the Androscoggin river, at least according to a note in the Nat Geo map for the region. In any event, camping anywhere else is not real practical.

I agree that that used to be the policy but finding it in some policy is what was asked for.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2020, 19:19
today i shuttled this man today. inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btyhDcW9t8k

Astro
06-11-2020, 20:01
Forgot your starting at Pinkham. All the shelters between RT2 and Grafton Notch have tent platforms, so that shouldn't be a problem. Although maybe "officially" closed, there's no way they can actually stop you from using them. Due to the terrain, there really aren't any other options, except for the one unofficial site north of Mahoosuc notch.

The only problem area will be the Pinkham to RT2 section. You'd have to go all the way to the Imp shelter and that's one really long and difficult day, especially for day 1. Either skip that section all together or arrange to do it as 2 or 3 day hikes.
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I will need to start with Monson to Katahdin, and if things don't open after that, just have to come back in 2021 to finish.

Seatbelt
06-12-2020, 11:50

Thanks for posting this, heart-touching.

Tipi Walter
06-12-2020, 12:06

I watched the video. This is why I carry microspikes in the winter.

illabelle
06-12-2020, 13:24
Months ago, pre-Covid, I made an August reservation at Carter Notch. I have yet to receive any email or other communication from them saying that my reservation is canceled. A few days ago out of curiosity, I attempted to make a reservation for this week, and got a response that the facility is "closed" on the date selected. So then I attempted to make a reservation for the date in August that we intend to be there, and I got a response that the facility is "full" on the date selected. Based on that, I'm inclined to believe/hope that the hut will be open for our trip, and the hike from Pinkham northward can proceed as we planned.

Either that, or we'll have to adapt to that "one really long and difficulty day."

kolokolo
06-12-2020, 13:52
I see what you mean about the reservations page. Some dates do show ‘full’.

But if you go to the ‘White Mountain Huts of New Hampshire’ page under ‘Lodging and Camping’, the first sentence says “Due to concerns related to COVID-19, the 2020 season has been cancelled.”

Probably should count on it being closed.

JNI64
06-12-2020, 15:18

Yes thank you for posting this. My eyes leaked and then I got chills up my spine listening to this guy's story. What an adaptive great attitude and mindset.

Slo-go'en
06-12-2020, 16:25
Climbed up to Goose eye from the Success pond road and did a short AT hike from the summit of Goose eye to North peak. What a nice day. I love the views from this mountain! Saw just one other person near the bottom going up as we were going down.
Astro, this is about half way to Grafton Notch.

Astro
06-12-2020, 16:52
Slo-go'en,
Whenever I do get to that section I sure hope I get as nice of a day as you did! Thanks for sharing.

Astro
06-12-2020, 16:59
Months ago, pre-Covid, I made an August reservation at Carter Notch. I have yet to receive any email or other communication from them saying that my reservation is canceled. A few days ago out of curiosity, I attempted to make a reservation for this week, and got a response that the facility is "closed" on the date selected. So then I attempted to make a reservation for the date in August that we intend to be there, and I got a response that the facility is "full" on the date selected. Based on that, I'm inclined to believe/hope that the hut will be open for our trip, and the hike from Pinkham northward can proceed as we planned.

Either that, or we'll have to adapt to that "one really long and difficulty day."

Have you tried calling the AMC? From what I have read the Huts are closed for the summer, and Joe Dodge Lodge is "expected" to maybe open July 1. You should be able to move reservations to next year. Hopefully they will also let you cancel if you need to.

4eyedbuzzard
06-13-2020, 10:47

Either that, or we'll have to adapt to that "one really long and difficulty day."Huts are closed for the 2020 season. I don't think their reservation/availability software is displaying the correct info for all the facilities. Call the Reservations Department at 603-466-2727 and email [email protected] with your reservation details. But I think you're out of luck for 2020.

Traffic Jam
06-13-2020, 13:35
45 minutes of strength training, 55 minutes of yoga, watered my tomato plants, plan to spend the afternoon playing my fiddle and enjoying this beautiful weather.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2020, 17:25
drove shuttles today. Carvers gap and Massie gap. i have NEVER seen that many vehicles parked at either place. cars up and down the sides of the road. hundreds of people

Traffic Jam
07-21-2020, 20:09
Got kicked in the a** at the gym by my trainer. Ate no protein and minimal carbs today and bonked at 5pm... big mistake! Stupid.

I've discovered the Jacob's Ladder climbing machine at the gym which is way better than a stair master. It truly mimics climbing up a ladder. After 5 minutes I'm sweating and gasping...wearing a mask makes it more difficult but them's the rules. It needs to cool off so I can go hike.

JNI64
07-21-2020, 21:20
Got kicked in the a** at the gym by my trainer. Ate no protein and minimal carbs today and bonked at 5pm... big mistake! Stupid.

I've discovered the Jacob's Ladder climbing machine at the gym which is way better than a stair master. It truly mimics climbing up a ladder. After 5 minutes I'm sweating and gasping...wearing a mask makes it more difficult but them's the rules. It needs to cool off so I can go hike.

Yeah that jacobs ladder is a real butt kicker for sure. The stair master requires no arm movements so yeah much tougher. The jacobs ladder requires you to stay focused as well because of hand and foot placement. I like the fact that you can speed up or slow down on your own without controls. ( i actually stopped going to the gym :mad: because masks are supposed to be mandatory but very few do . So what does mandatory mean? Just like everywhere else I go around here, which is very few places but the entrance says masks mandatory but some do some don't drives me absolutely crazy. I work at night with a gentleman that cares for elderly mother with dementia and that's the last thing I want to do is get him sick especially if I knew it was my fault).

Traffic Jam
07-25-2020, 19:02
Yeah that jacobs ladder is a real butt kicker for sure. The stair master requires no arm movements so yeah much tougher. The jacobs ladder requires you to stay focused as well because of hand and foot placement. I like the fact that you can speed up or slow down on your own without controls. ( i actually stopped going to the gym :mad: because masks are supposed to be mandatory but very few do . So what does mandatory mean? Just like everywhere else I go around here, which is very few places but the entrance says masks mandatory but some do some don't drives me absolutely crazy. I work at night with a gentleman that cares for elderly mother with dementia and that's the last thing I want to do is get him sick especially if I knew it was my fault).
They’re very strict about masks at my gym.

I’ve worked up to 8 minutes, lol. That’s climbing at a steady clip, hands on the rungs.

anrope
07-26-2020, 06:14
Took an early morning bike ride to Clearwater and back. Cooked a redfish with some veggies. Installed a kitchen faucet (https://cookspot.org/best-kitchen-faucets-under-200/#product6) by myself, couldn't wait anymore till husband do it. Going to bike to the harbor to catch some more fishes.

peakbagger
07-26-2020, 06:30
I did a hike from Jefferson Notch road to Jefferson and over to Adams and back. Lots of people out backpacking. Saw a couple of backpackers with carrying their mall dog on the back of their pack. The claimed they had traveled 14 hours to get to the whites and had woefully underestimated the rockiness of the trails so it was either pack the dog or find some where else to go. THe cog did not seem to mind it at all.

Slo-go'en
07-26-2020, 07:55
I did a hike from Jefferson Notch road to Jefferson and over to Adams and back. Lots of people out backpacking. Saw a couple of backpackers with carrying their mall dog on the back of their pack. The claimed they had traveled 14 hours to get to the whites and had woefully underestimated the rockiness of the trails so it was either pack the dog or find some where else to go. THe cog did not seem to mind it at all.

That's a good walk. Looked like a nice day up there. I saw about 100 cars at the Appalachia parking lot Friday afternoon, figured at least that many yesterday. So I climbed Mount Crescent on the other side of the valley and didn't see another soul.

I've seen the parking lot full and groups of hikers with full backpacks heading up Valley Way. I can only guess there has been a lot of illegal camping going on up there. Once this is all over, it will take 100 years for the damage to heal.

colorado_rob
07-26-2020, 11:16
Man, I just cannot get my head around going back to the gym yet, just doesn't seem safe, and I'm not overly Covid-paranoid in other things. I'm attempting to do the 100-100 pushup challenge, 100 days of 100 pushups/day. Not really a balanced upper body workout, but better than nuthin'.

Slo-go'en
07-26-2020, 11:50
I started doing sit ups about a month ago. Couldn't do a single one when I started without using my arms to help. Now I can do 30 with my hands behind my head and the results are noticeable. My gut no longer protrudes past my chest :) Just now starting to work on my arms, noticed they have lost a lot of strength. My legs are no problem...

JNI64
07-26-2020, 11:53
I'm in the process of buying a new house with a 2 car garage which I'll be turning into my own gym. There's alot stuff you can do with your own body weight like push-ups, sit-up, crunches, jumping jacks, lunges, real mountain climbers, squats, planks,etc.....

JNI64
07-26-2020, 12:00
I started doing sit ups about a month ago. Couldn't do a single one when I started without using my arms to help. Now I can do 30 with my hands behind my head and the results are noticeable. My gut no longer protrudes past my chest :) Just now starting to work on my arms, noticed they have lost a lot of strength. My legs are no problem...

That's awesome good for you! Just be careful not to pull on your head with your hands it could possibly do neck damage.

JNI64
07-26-2020, 12:40
Man, I just cannot get my head around going back to the gym yet, just doesn't seem safe, and I'm not overly Covid-paranoid in other things. I'm attempting to do the 100-100 pushup challenge, 100 days of 100 pushups/day. Not really a balanced upper body workout, but better than nuthin'.

Hey rob, for a deviation from the regular push-ups cause they get boring and your body adjust quickly to everyday routines. Try the triceps push-ups put your hands together touching fore fingers and thumbs forming a triangle, put one hand at regular position and the other at your waist, decline push-ups feet on a box, inclined push-ups hands on a box, arms extended hands together advanced move. Just a good way to mix it up and involve other muscle groups.

Traffic Jam
07-26-2020, 19:07
That's awesome! About 5 (?) years ago I couldn't do a single sit up so made it my New Year's goal. It took me a LOT longer than you but I eventually got there. Then I made a goal to do push ups and worked and worked and still can't do more than one or two real push-ups but just trying has made me stronger. I'm doing a lot of arm stuff at the gym right now and hope to finally do some push ups soon.

Traffic Jam
07-26-2020, 19:11
Man, I just cannot get my head around going back to the gym yet, just doesn't seem safe, and I'm not overly Covid-paranoid in other things.

I know. But it's no riskier than where I work or shop and my mental and physical health was suffering.

Traffic Jam
07-26-2020, 19:15
Sweet, sweet day. Got up early and biked before it got too hot then kayaked on the lake...followed by Bruster's ice cream for the first time in 3 years (which I'll pay for later).

colorado_rob
07-26-2020, 22:21
Hey rob, for a deviation from the regular push-ups cause they get boring and your body adjust quickly to everyday routines. Try the triceps push-ups put your hands together touching fore fingers and thumbs forming a triangle, put one hand at regular position and the other at your waist, decline push-ups feet on a box, inclined push-ups hands on a box, arms extended hands together advanced move. Just a good way to mix it up and involve other muscle groups.Excellent idea, thanks. I'll swap it out day to day. I kinda lied; I'm only about 10 days into the 100-100 challenge, and I'm only up to 80 per day, 4 sets of 20. this next week I'll be up to the 100/day and start the 100-day count. Easy to get injured at my age, and mixing up the variety like you mention will help, thanks!

I started doing sit ups about a month ago. Couldn't do a single one when I started without using my arms to help. Now I can do 30 with my hands behind my head and the results are noticeable. My gut no longer protrudes past my chest :) Just now starting to work on my arms, noticed they have lost a lot of strength. My legs are no problem... Yep, I need to add some daily core/ab exercises too, and agree on the leg thing, no worries below the waist (!), but feel it's important for hikers to keep the upper body tone as well.

Slo-go'en
07-27-2020, 08:59
Yep, I need to add some daily core/ab exercises too, and agree on the leg thing, no worries below the waist (!), but feel it's important for hikers to keep the upper body tone as well.

I didn't have much of a belly to loose but it was a bit flabby. After a month of sit-ups, over all I feel better and I think my posture has improved with the better core strength.

I haven't done much hiking this last month due to the extreme heat and humidity. I can't wait for fall and winter again! The best I can do is a 4 mile round trip road walk in the evening to the lake and back when it cools off some. My neighbors Border Collie likes to tag along for the walk too. That's one hyperactive dog :)

Tuxhiker
10-28-2020, 13:11
Hiked once again yesterday on the Tux trail prior to Zeta coming in today (yet another hurricane). Now just waiting out Zeta. Have a funny story from yesterday's hike. I parked at a forrestry road crossing and headed north. 1/4 m in, I encountered a vehicle stuck on the hiking trail spinning its wheels with trash strewn all around it. The idiot driver wasn't exactly sure how he got there. Said he was following a hunting path. I couldn't see a path anywhere except the hiking trail. He was trying to figure out how somebody was going to get to him and pull him out. I don't own a truck so I couldn't help. I politely reminded him that that the forestry service does not allow driving on ungraded paths to prevent people from getting stuck. I wished him well and continued hiking. I called forestry dispatcher and let them know. They said they would send someone. By the time I got back he was gone, but not his trash. I gathered up most of that and headed back to car. I feel for the forest rangers. They have enough to deal with without having to save people from their own stupidity. I appreciate our rangers. They are short-staffed because some are out west helping to battle fires.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Traffic Jam
04-21-2021, 18:20
Started dead lifting this week and I’m so sore! I’m convinced that as I get older, strength training is imperative if I’m to continue hiking/backpacking. It’s amazing how easy it has become to squat and stand up from a squat.

if anyone has trouble wth

Traffic Jam
04-21-2021, 18:24
..with squats, try putting a stability ball between the small of your back and the wall and lean into the ball while squatting. It removes the stress on your knees. When ready, hold 10-20lb weights.

Five Tango
04-21-2021, 19:17
LOL!I did a chin up on my bar today.Maxed me out! Then I went grocery shopping and picked up a bag of iced oatmeal cookies-trail food don'tchaknow.........

Traffic Jam
04-21-2021, 19:43
Hey, that’s one more chin up than I can do. Good job!

Slo-go'en
04-21-2021, 19:47
I feel your pain Traffic Jam.

I've been sitting out the spring melt down. Last hike was the end of March. Guess what? It's snowing again :) What looked like an early spring might end up being a prolonged mud season.

TwigBoy
04-22-2021, 15:25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five Tango
04-22-2021, 16:47
Hey, that’s one more chin up than I can do. Good job!

Thanks.Today I did one and a half.

JNI64
05-24-2021, 11:58
Not today but Saturday I went to a outdoor rock show 6 bands ,great weather, 15 minutes from my house, I didn't see 1 mask!!
Oh man ,oh man it felt so good! You know " normal stuff.

JNI64
05-24-2021, 12:05
It was the very first outdoor show in WV since 2019 .
About 500 people, the one in 2 weeks probably closer to a thousand and the one August is some big bands probably several thousand. We're coming back stronger then ever !!

Slugg
06-01-2021, 09:09
Little late, but two weekends ago I went on a day hike and competed a goal of mine - to hike every mile of established trail in the combined Cohutta/Big Frog wilderness in NW GA/SE TN. There are over 120 miles of trail in the 45,000 acre area. With a thru-hike not in the cards, I still enjoy some goal-oriented hiking by red-lining areas like this. Looking forward to doing some bushwhacking in the area come winter.

HankIV
06-01-2021, 22:38
Frantic last minute packing, work clean up, personal biz clean up.

skerry
06-19-2021, 11:07
Good to see you! I was thinking about you when I was in Hot Springs about a month ago. Hope you are well.

Deacon
06-19-2021, 14:14
Today I listened to a podcast interview of Nimblewill Nomad, who at 83 is attempting a thruhike of the AT. He actually started at Flagg Mountain in Alabama early this year.

Graybeard currently hold the distinction as the oldest thru hiker at 82.

I’ve often thought that I wouldn’t mind going for an OKH (oldest known hiker) myself, though I’ll have to wait a few years yet.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Episode-273-MJ-Eberhart-Nimblewill-Nomad-Podcast/B0965DM381

https://www.bpr.org/post/83-year-old-man-wants-set-new-appalachian-trail-record

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheyou
06-19-2021, 14:49
The oak rim trail . 6 miles 3 out 3 back

thom

Slo-go'en
06-19-2021, 19:07
Oldest known hiker, eh? I hiked with an 80 year old German a few years back. He almost made it all the way, he basically just ran out of time in Vermont.

Dang, I'm only 12 years away from 80 myself. That's actually kind of scary. But I did play a small part in helping get a bear box up to a tent site on North Percy (Coos trail) yesterday. Thankfully, it was actually a repurposed pickup storage/tool box, only 75 pounds. Most of the route was old skidder road so a cart was used to wheel it in. Still, 1.6 miles and 900 foot gain.

I hope to wear out a few more pairs of boots before I don't need to buy them anymore. Don't know about a thru hike when I'm 80, but a good LASHer might still be possible :)

fastfoxengineering
06-19-2021, 19:17
I haven't been on trail in a few weeks since redlining the Belknap Range in NH. 5 mile road walks around my neighborhood with 1 hour swim sessions have been the daily routine. Lined up a few interviews for prospective work in Maine or Oregon come Sept. Might be a mad dash to pick up and go hike the CT depending on how the cards play out.

JNI64
06-19-2021, 20:12
Oldest known hiker, eh? I hiked with an 80 year old German a few years back. He almost made it all the way, he basically just ran out of time in Vermont.

Dang, I'm only 12 years away from 80 myself. That's actually kind of scary. But I did play a small part in helping get a bear box up to a tent site on North Percy (Coos trail) yesterday. Thankfully, it was actually a repurposed pickup storage/tool box, only 75 pounds. Most of the route was old skidder road so a cart was used to wheel it in. Still, 1.6 miles and 900 foot gain.

I hope to wear out a few more pairs of boots before I don't need to buy them anymore. Don't know about a thru hike when I'm 80, but a good LASHer might still be possible :)

OKL. Oldest known LASKER:)-

JNI64
06-19-2021, 20:22
Dang it , OKL, Oldest known LASHer :)

Deacon
06-20-2021, 05:49
Actually I should have said Oldest Known Thru Hiker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro