PDA

View Full Version : Romantic Idea for those about to leave a loved one

Almost There
03-14-2006, 00:08
Seeing as this topic has come up quite a bit I thought I would throw an idea out for those who have yet to start the trail. My wife and I stayed at a great Bed and Breakfast very close to the start of the trail. The place is called Mountain Laurel Creek Inn. They also have a dayspa. Their prices aren't low ranging from around $140-$185 a night but all of the rooms have whirlpool tubs and they serve an excellent breakfast(included in price). Why bring it up? Many have asked about doing something nice for that understanding significant other who puts up with our crazy hiker trash ways. This is one way. The Inn is located just outside of Dahlonega right down the road from The Hiker Hostel. They do not offer shuttles or laundry service as it is a more upscale place, but this would be a suggestion that might work if your spouse is shuttling you to the start of the trail or if they wanted to meet you at Neel's Gap, as it is only about a 20-30 minute drive from Walasi-Yi. Anyways I'll list the website below and feel free to check it out. My wife absolutely loved the place and she thought I should post here as a recommendation to those about to leave wives and girlfriends. Just another option closer to the start.

www.mountainlaurelcreek.com (http://www.mountainlaurelcreek.com)

Dances with Mice
03-14-2006, 10:22
Another romantic hideaway, just outside Amicalola Park's main entrance.

http://www.foresths.com/

blindeye
03-14-2006, 21:25
sadly i think my 2007 thruhike will be the end of my marriage. i am o. k. with that but i think that you should consider all options . i have

Old Spice
03-14-2006, 21:35
Good idea. I wish my significant other was going to be in the area. Maybe I'll go solo... you know, in the whole spirit of my hike.

Miss Janet
03-14-2006, 23:02
Sometimes the big jestures are kind of expected ... flowers on a birthday, dinner out on an anniversary... I like the small things and I have seen them soften up the toughest heart!

I think a nice journal and good pen set so she/he can keep a record of their days and thoughts while you are gone on your hike might be a good idea.

Maybe a gift certificate for a great day at a spa or sporting event to use while you are hiking...

Arrange ahead of time for "special deliveries" from local florists, candy shops, pizza place, etc... for while you are hiking

or keep it really simple and leave notes hidden all over the house before you leave.

I know how easy it is to get all excited about your AT hike, be it short or long, and the important people in your life can feel left out. Try to make them part of the adventure if you can... and don't forget the kids!! No matter how old they are!