PDA

View Full Version : What's the first trail you will take on when this is all over?

Greggs
03-30-2020, 14:23
When the smoke clears where will you head? What trail or section of trail?

Me: I'm thinking the Foothills Trail.

Last Call
03-30-2020, 14:28
Sipsey Wilderness, Alabama....

colorado_rob
03-30-2020, 14:46
Back on to the PCT. Probably at South end of Sierra, Kennedy meadows, and try to get at least rest of California done.

Slo-go'en
03-30-2020, 15:33
I've been meaning to do Maine again in the fall. In the mean time, I'll be red lining my White Mt map through the wilderness areas. The rest of you, stay home!

FlyPaper
03-30-2020, 15:58
Last segment in northern part of PA.

Astro
03-30-2020, 17:08
Finish last 167 miles of AT (Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch and Monson to Kathadin)

JoshMcR
03-30-2020, 20:32
I'm doing a 60 mile section hike of the Sheltowee Trace Trail in eastern Kentucky in a couple weeks if it's legal. I've only been there for a couple weekend trips. I really enjoyed both experiences so I'm really excited to be there for a week.

Last Call
03-30-2020, 20:38
I'm doing a 60 mile section hike of the Sheltowee Trace Trail in eastern Kentucky in a couple weeks if it's legal. I've only been there for a couple weekend trips. I really enjoyed both experiences so I'm really excited to be there for a week.

Last I read this morning Daniel Boone is open, the Sheltowee goes thru part of it,,enjoy and be safe....

skater
03-30-2020, 21:22
Duncan Ridge Trail. Gonna have SOOO much work to do.

Crushed Grapes
03-31-2020, 01:25
Foothills Trail
JMT (permit will probably get denied)
Wonderland Trail (permit will probably also get denied) lol

cmoulder
03-31-2020, 07:07
I'd love to do Uinta Highline.

On my bucket list, and I'd best hurry because I'm getting near the bottom of the bucket.

dsccwells
03-31-2020, 08:17
Back on AT to finish it up. Just need 54 miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry.

Megapixel
03-31-2020, 08:31
I have a permit in for 2 for the North Circle Loop in Glacier in August. So that will be it for me, provided I'm granted the permit. Otherwise, more sections of the AT.

LittleRock
03-31-2020, 08:39
I was just out on segment 10 of the MST here in Raleigh, NC yesterday. Saw one person in 4 hours.

As far as backpacking, I'm still planning to do a section of the AT in northern PA and NJ in the fall.

Slugg
03-31-2020, 09:42
Finish up roughly the northern half of the BMT.

tiptoe
03-31-2020, 11:04
I would love to do another chunk of Vermont's Long Trail, if my back is up to it. Meanwhile, it's daily walks in the local state park with my 14-year-old husky, who insists on them with her beautiful, pleading blue eyes.

D2maine
03-31-2020, 11:11
just want to clear the blow-downs off my section. I already know it is going to be bad...

coach lou
03-31-2020, 11:58
Finish last 167 miles of AT (Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch and Monson to Kathadin)

Hope It works out that I can join you on some of that.

danil411
03-31-2020, 12:22
I think I will start with the Black Forest Trail in PA and then, based on timing and weather see if I cannot do a trip somewhere in the west.

bamadog
03-31-2020, 12:23
Hope to finish the Benton Mackaye this year.

Tennessee Viking
03-31-2020, 15:52
Ongoing quest on the NC Mountains to Sea Trail.
Complete Ashe/Alleghany sections
Linville Gorge drop & river crossing
Woods Mountain
Bald Knob
Asheville to Toe River

Crossbar
03-31-2020, 16:11
Friend and I started the BMT but decided to exit when the Covid news hit. Maybe this fall we can finish. Been reading about Linville Gorge, would love to do a loop there next year.

ldsailor
03-31-2020, 17:02
My hiking plans for this year were to do a LASH of the PCT (my permit date is April 9) and then in July, go to Maine and finish the last 265 miles of the AT. Of course that's not going to happen now. I'm hoping things with the virus will settle down enough so that I can go to Maine in June and finish the AT. Then I'll go to California in August and start at NOBO mile 1016 on the PCT and hike south to Kennedy Meadows South and beyond (maybe Campo if I'm lucky).

BayouWanderer
04-01-2020, 13:45
A couple sections of the Florida trail, and/or sections of the Pinhoti.

Tipi Walter
04-01-2020, 13:50
The C-word and home concerns will keep me pinned here until the madness passes but in the meantime I can still get my bag nights on the backyard porch---

And if necessary I can still pull obscenely short 4 or 5 day backpacking trips and get back if a significant other gets infected etc.

Deadeye
04-01-2020, 14:11
Back on the Long Trail to check on my adopted shelter and "knock over the cone"

coach lou
04-01-2020, 15:02
The C-word and home concerns will keep me pinned here until the madness passes but in the meantime I can still get by bag nights on the backyard porch---

And if neceassary I can still pull obscenely short 4 or 5 day backpacking trips and get back if a significant other gets infected etc.

I'm putting the Hooch up this weekend, It may be on the deck, it may be in the yard!

Traffic Jam
04-01-2020, 20:04
I'm putting the Hooch up this weekend, It may be on the deck, it may be in the yard!
My new abode has trees for hanging! I’ve gotta get my hammock in shape, one of the straps is held together with duct tape. :)

Traffic Jam
04-01-2020, 20:08
I’m dreaming of Standing Indian loop and finishing the Foothills Trail. It’ll be too hot to finish the FHT by the time the trails are open again but there are plenty of places to choose from.

And the BMT is near and dear to my heart...there are a bunch of trails I’d love to revisit.

Traveler
04-02-2020, 07:44
I'm thinking it may be time to build a still out back and make some banana whiskey.....

colorado_rob
04-02-2020, 10:19
My hiking plans for this year were to do a LASH of the PCT (my permit date is April 9) and then in July, go to Maine and finish the last 265 miles of the AT. Of course that's not going to happen now. I'm hoping things with the virus will settle down enough so that I can go to Maine in June and finish the AT. Then I'll go to California in August and start at NOBO mile 1016 on the PCT and hike south to Kennedy Meadows South and beyond (maybe Campo if I'm lucky). It's starting to look really bleak for any PCT hiking this year as the PCTA is basically invalidating any permits, if I understand this correctly. I believe the various jurisdictions involved are playing hardball to get PCT hikers off the trail now. One guy just died of a fall on Apache Peak, 2 others had to be rescued... Not particularly unusual, this happens a lot in those areas this time of year but apparently the SAR folks are not happy about this at all right now given the other circumstances they are dealing with.

This hardball by the PCT jurisdictions could change, of course.

SO, unless things along the PCT corridor change, I'm going to switch my efforts to the CDT this year, maybe do a LASH SOBO from the CO/WY border to the MX/NM border, something like 1500 miles. No permits (actually you do need a NM public lands permit, but I already have that, easy to get online), no National parks to negotiate (can bypass RMNP easily), easy resupply from my wife driving to meet me now and then, etc, etc. If the COVID-19 situation drags on, one can start late (August) given that hiking south finishing in late October/early November should be no issue in southern NM.

Just a thought LDsailor, for an alternate western hike.

rmitchell
04-02-2020, 11:42
just want to clear the blow-downs off my section. I already know it is going to be bad...

This. Then work on GSMNP 900.

ldsailor
04-02-2020, 23:30
It's starting to look really bleak for any PCT hiking this year as the PCTA is basically invalidating any permits, if I understand this correctly. I believe the various jurisdictions involved are playing hardball to get PCT hikers off the trail now. One guy just died of a fall on Apache Peak, 2 others had to be rescued... .
You are right, of course. It's just that I have so much invested in the PCT right now that I have to keep hoping. August is four months away, so there is a lot of time to see if things calm down.

I really want to finish the AT. That was supposed to happen last year until I got a hamstring injury hiking the Wildcat range in the White Mountains. I'm more concerned about the AT than I am about the PCT. I turn 71 in August and my clock is ticking.

Leo L.
04-03-2020, 03:08
Had the intention to go back to my beloved Middle East desert in late autumn, but the news about the possible second wave of Corona in China makes me belive that international travel will not be a good idea for the whole 2020 year.
Lockdown here will be for a least 3-4 more weeks, so maybe mid-May will be the date to shoulder my pack and leave for a 10-days loop through the local mountains.

OwenM
04-04-2020, 01:55
Depends on when it's over, and there's no telling when that will be.

Possibly the AT through the Whites in NH, or Collegiate West on the CT/CDT in CO come late September. Depends on whether friends' and my schedules gel, or I head out West alone.
Maybe back to Canyonlands in late November.
If it takes longer than that, Superstitions in AZ during winter.
I do want to go there^^, but sure hope the next opportunity for a trip comes along before then!

V Eight
04-07-2020, 10:26
I was just out on segment 10 of the MST here in Raleigh, NC yesterday. Saw one person in 4 hours.

I'm glad you were able to complete section 10, without being at very least being told to get off the trail, or worse being arrested (attitude dependent). All the State and county parks, that make up the majority of that section have been closed for like 2 weeks. I live here, and have had a very good relationship with many of the State park rangers, from Eno to the Falls lake dam. They have been very clear that hikers, all hikers found on the MST in their jurisdiction, will be removed from the trail one way or the other. Again, I'm glad you made it and enjoyed your hike. I personalty don't have any problem with your hiking that stretch.

The Old Chief
04-07-2020, 18:48
[QUOTE=Tennessee Viking;2267181]Ongoing quest on the NC Mountains to Sea Trail.
Woods Mountain

The Woods Mtn Trail is by far my favorite trail on the MST. I've been twice during bear hunting season and it's always a hoot to have the bear dogs stop hunting and following you. As for me, I see another trip down the Suwannee River, either in kayak or canoe.

Crushed Grapes
04-07-2020, 19:08
Back on AT to finish it up. Just need 54 miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry.

That's awesome! I just hiked this exact section southbound at the beginning of March. I had to do some clean up miles from my thru last year.

Congrats on the impending finish!

Bubblehead
04-08-2020, 08:08
Benton Mackaye/AT 530 mile loop, hopefully this Fall.

V Eight
04-08-2020, 08:58
Springer to Fontana, the first of June??? If not then, maybe October?

JC13
04-10-2020, 17:17
If this clears in time: Damascus to Pearisburg, late-May early-June. Oauchita Trail in November.

RadioFreq
04-13-2020, 13:56
Doing a section of the SHT.

FTW13
05-03-2020, 15:24
I’d like to finish AT from Rutland to Katadin,but that’ll be a tall order if it doesn’t clear up in time.

MikeD
05-03-2020, 16:11
Back to the Superior Trail. Last year did 270 overlook to Grand Marais and would like to continue where I left off and try to complete the trail this year.

Sara
05-03-2020, 18:47
I would love to finish the AT (Conneticut to Katahdin) this year - but it isn't looking likely. I don't know when the US/Canadian border will reopen - and the travel advisories will lift.

I have a flight booked to Europe on Sept 17th... that is also probably not going to happen. :(

My first trail will be somewhere within Canada, I've been watching to see when the parks may re-open. I'm not picky - I want to take my tent and hike anywhere at this point! :D

V Eight
05-04-2020, 19:44
Looks like I'll do section 10 of the MST 77 miles +/- in the next few days, as a shakedown of some new/different gear and systems. The MST is literally in my back yard. Looks like the Gov is going to open the State Parks effective Saturday 5/9. Even if the Parks are still closed, the State Park service, carved out the MST through this area as unrestricted.
Then off to Springer in June.

RadioFreq
05-08-2020, 19:43
Heading for the SHT.

RadioFreq
05-08-2020, 19:47
Damn.....forgot I already posted to this one.

Average Hiker
05-09-2020, 08:38
Colorado Trail if this all lifts in time.

colorado_rob
05-09-2020, 11:50
Colorado Trail if this all lifts in time. It's all about a few Colorado counties lifting their "stay out" orders, there are 3-4 of them that the trail passes through. Chaffee County (Salida), Gunnison County (Gunnison) and San Juan Counties (Silverton), plus maybe one other all have stay-out orders in place, though I have heard at least one of these (Chaffee) is relaxing this on June 1st.

The start (Waterton Canyon) is also closed, but there are two other alternative starts that are open, one of which (Roxborough park) is a much better start anyway. I plan on hiking the Colorado CDT this summer, 300 miles of which are along the CT, so I'm keeping close tabs, and I'll report in on the CT forum if I hear anything. There is, of course, a Facebook page on the CT, with a lot of weird and questionable info being passed around, but there are some reliable posts there as well, in particular from Bill Manning, who is involved with the CT foundation.

Hikingjim
05-09-2020, 20:36
I would love to finish the AT (Conneticut to Katahdin) this year - but it isn't looking likely. I don't know when the US/Canadian border will reopen - and the travel advisories will lift.
I have a flight booked to Europe on Sept 17th... that is also probably not going to happen. :(

My first trail will be somewhere within Canada, I've been watching to see when the parks may re-open. I'm not picky - I want to take my tent and hike anywhere at this point! :D

Same with me... a quick Killarney trip as soon as they allow backcountry sounds pretty good about now

DougWise
05-11-2020, 08:09
I think I am going to hike the GA section as soon as everything opens up - hopefully it will not be too hot and buggy!

cneill13
05-11-2020, 10:25
Going to the Smokies this weekend. The backcountry permit system is up and running this morning.

Mockernut
05-11-2020, 16:02
I did a chunk of the Chattooga River Trail in Georgia this weekend. I started to do part of the Bartram but parking was slammed and overflowing! I guess that's what happens when all the other trails are closed!

QuietStorm
05-12-2020, 15:09
My last section of the AT, from Stratton to Katahdin. I've pushed it back to August 30th to start.

Odd Man Out
05-12-2020, 22:37
I'm thinking 105 miles on the Kungsleden from Kvikkjokk to Abisko. That's in northwest Sweden, ending 125 miles north of the artic circle. Will probably add the popular side trip to climb Kebnakaise, Sweden's tallest mountain. The Kungsleden is one of Europe's most popular trails, but not do well known in the US.

Patrickjd9
05-13-2020, 09:25
First task is helping re-start trail maintenance on the AT in Central Virginia.

After that, I'm still hoping to finish AT sections between High Point, NJ and Killington, VT. I've finished everything south of High Point.

I had been planning the AT in the White Mountains and Maine this summer, but the logistics in those areas seem difficult as a solo section hiker this year, with more reliance on local services than I'm comfortable with. I can probably use family for any support I'll need further south.

chknfngrs
05-13-2020, 12:09
Good ol’ AT section hiking. Maybe a skouwch of ultrarunning anywhere I can

Average Hiker
05-16-2020, 11:30
I left the AZT two weeks in due to Covid. My hope is to hike the Colorado Trail in August, and then jump back on the AZT SOBO. Fingers crossed...

Uncle Joe
05-18-2020, 23:38
I did a chunk of the Chattooga River Trail in Georgia this weekend. I started to do part of the Bartram but parking was slammed and overflowing! I guess that's what happens when all the other trails are closed!

I've been doing sections of the Bartram myself during this. I haven't seen any really packed parking. Which trailhead did you see it packed? That said, I've largely avoided some areas due to people.

earlyriser26
05-19-2020, 13:41
The first section I hit will be with a weed whacker. I can't imagine how bad they will be by then.

DownYonder
05-19-2020, 20:43
Ongoing quest on the NC Mountains to Sea Trail.
Woods Mountain
Bald Knob
Asheville to Toe River

What is your favorite section on the Mtn2Sea so far? Looking for a 2 night trip. Thanks

Stikbow
05-26-2020, 08:45
It sure as heck won''t be the AT, I can tell you that. Planning on the Foothills Trail.

Traffic Jam
05-26-2020, 19:14
It sure as heck won''t be the AT, I can tell you that. Planning on the Foothills Trail.

Me too...heading there soon. Can’t wait. :)

Traffic Jam
06-09-2020, 18:55
Hiked 30+ miles on the Foothills Trail. I did not find it crowded...maybe mid week and thunderstorms scared people away? It was hot so took advantage of all the rivers and streams to cool off. Fun times.

mkoltonuk
06-09-2020, 19:30
Need from Glencliff NH (i.e. around Mousilaukee) to Katahdin to finish my journey of the AT. Hopefully open by the end of July.