PDA

View Full Version : Seeking 2-Person Tent Recommendations

Klezmorim
03-14-2006, 12:41
We're tired of the mice and snorers at shelters. We're tired of the lengthy setup time of our cheapo dome tent with its 26 pole sections and nearly 5-pound weight.

So, folks, help us out here. I need a lightweight tent for 2 with minimal setup time, sewn-in floor and good, adjustable ventillation. Is there such a thing? I know there will have to be compromises, so... what are our best options?

Oh, and please, no hammock suggestions. Our old creaky joints aren't up to that. Besides on zeros or neros, we like to sit up and play cards or read.

Fanny and MandoMan thank you in advance!

mikecordes
03-14-2006, 12:45
You might look at the Hubba Hubba from MSR. Weighs around 4 lbs and easy to set up.

Tabasco
03-14-2006, 13:01
Hubba Hubba ROCKS. I loved mine so much, I bought the company..... well, not so much, but it is a really good tent.

In winter camping, it is a bit drafty, seeing as how the entire canopy is mesh, but come those buggy summer nights, all that mesh is a godsend. Setup is a breeze, as there are no sleeves, only clips, usually takes me about 2 minutes to set it up.

I love the two doors and two vestibules, allows my wife to exit for night trips w/o waking me up and vice versa. On solo trips, even at 4 lbs, I enjoy having the extra vestiblue for gear storage and ***emergency*** cooking if need be during a down pour.

A footprint is available, but not entirely necessary. The only compromise I can see based on your search criteria is one you haven't mentioned, and that is price. At $ 300 it is not a cheap tent, but one I feel I will have for a long time.

Klezmorim
03-14-2006, 13:08
Thanks, mikecordes and Tabasco for fast responses!

The only compromise I can see based on your search criteria is one you haven't mentioned, and that is price.
I almost posted price, but decided that I was narrowing my criteria a good bit as it is. Sure, I want to save $$$, but at this point I want to see what's available. $300 is pricey, but if it buys us the perfect tent, I'll suck it up.

hikerjohnd
03-14-2006, 13:13
If you're willing to go the tarptent route there are some excellent options.

First - Six Moon Designs Europa05 (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40). I have this tent now and think it will be the last tent I ever buy. Roomy enough for two - lighter than most 1 man tents. Hybrid single/double wall design provides excellent ventelation and I have not had a problem with condensation (I've experienced it - it just wasn't a problem). Their customer service is excellent, although turn around time on emails can be slow - drop a dime and give them a call.

Second - Henry Shires Tarptents (http://www.tarptent.com/products.html). I doubt you'll find anyone who has something bad to say about Henry's products. I owned a Virga, but switched to the Europa for more space (and I would have stuck with a Shire's product, but at the time he was backordered past my departure date). Again, customer service is excellent (as many on this site will attest to...)

Both of these tent makers offer excellent products and will save pounds rather than ounces. Do your homework and happy tent shopping!

JoeHiker
03-14-2006, 13:50
So, folks, help us out here. I need a lightweight tent for 2 with minimal setup time, sewn-in floor and good, adjustable ventillation. Is there such a thing? I know there will have to be compromises, so... what are our best options?

Tarptent Squall?

http://www.tarptent.com

DrewNC2005
03-14-2006, 14:02
I second the Tarptents... just ordered one of my own and it's incredible!

gravityman
03-14-2006, 15:53
We thrued with the Squall 2 last year and loved it. After the smokies we spent hardly any time in shelters...

Gravity and Danger

gr8fulyankee
03-14-2006, 16:10
I recently picked up this tent for when my GF goes hiking with me. It was cake to setup and had room under the rainfly-vestibule. Under 5lbs and was room enough for side by side full therm-rest self infalting air mattresses. This clip idea was a little new to me since I have been using a kelty windfoil for the last 11 years, But I did like this and have used it on a couple of solo trips also.
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 CD Tent
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39165952&memberId=12500226

Klezmorim
03-14-2006, 16:47
We thrued with the Squall 2 last year and loved it. After the smokies we spent hardly any time in shelters...

Gravity and Danger

I had looked at the Squall 2 previously. It seemed to me that closing off the floor mesh from blowing wind/rain/splash-backs/privacy concerns, etc. would be a problem. What was your experience?

themooseisloose
03-14-2006, 17:43
I second the review for the Hubba Hubba. Bought mine last year at REI for about $289 and then they had it onsale for $219. They gave me the difference back. Also REI currently has 20% off one product, so even if it isn't onsale (or you choose another one), you'll save some scratch!

RMGreen
03-14-2006, 18:23
Even though I'm realtively new to camping/hiking, I thought I'd throw my tent out for consideration. I got the North Face Roadrunner 22 tent:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39165037

Pretty easy to set up, but you'll need to put the fly on to control ventilation since the entire upper part is mesh. It's a little roomier and maybe a little heavier that other 2 person tents, but it's served me and my wife well on a couple of camping trips so far (including one where it rained for nearly the entire weekend). Campmor (the link above) has the 2005 version for $230 so if the $300 tents above are a bit pricey for you, then this might be a decent alternative.

RMGreen