PDA

View Full Version : Thur Hike Gear (essential, nonessential)

Haus8414
03-30-2020, 19:02
Hi so I pretty sure i have most of my major gear set and ready to rock, but just as a curiosity what is some things that are not essential but essential to you personally? One thing I do not have that I'm open to suggestions is camp footwear?

Last Call
03-30-2020, 19:43
Inflatable pillow....I like Sea to Summit or Big Agnes, both are good but can't recall the models....and a flask!

Slo-go'en
03-30-2020, 19:59
Essential:
MP3 player and camera independent of the phone.
Insulated, waterproof sit pad. (Piece of CCF)
Ground sheet.

Nonessential:
Camp shoes.
Water bladder.

Haus8414
03-30-2020, 20:38
Haha the flask see this is why I asked this question :D

Haus8414
03-30-2020, 20:39
Any suggestions on camera?

4eyedbuzzard
03-30-2020, 23:20
Some often overlooked items: Toenail clippers? Tweezers for ticks and splinters? GI can opener (P-38 or P-51)? Sewing needle and thread? Benadryl (in case of allergic reaction to stings)? Backup credit card (in case primary card gets compromised)?

cmoulder
03-31-2020, 06:55
Any suggestions on camera?

I can totally see the argument for a separate camera, even though cellphone cams really are excellent these days. So that's a bit of extra weight and "care and feeding" that should be considered carefully.

That said, a good option might be a Nikon Coolpix AW (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1347848-REG/nikon_coolpix_w300_digital_camera.html) (all-weather). I have one of the earlier editions (AW 110, now up to 300) and have used it in dismal conditions such a cold rain with no problems ever and it is still going strong.

Traveler
03-31-2020, 06:55
Some ideas: A pair of cotton socks for in-camp and night use, cheap flip-flops for camp, sit pad (thermo-rest Z pads are best in my view and very light), light weight water bottle that can be modified to scoop water for filtering, Gaitors (low cut) to keep trail duff out out your shoes, Uncle Bill's tweezer (the best tool to remove splinters and small thorns), plastic mesh onion bag to hang wet socks or other fabric from the pack, ICE (in case of emergency) listing in your cell phone for EMS use if needed, waterproof stuff sack(s) for gear that cannot get wet, small length of 3/8-inch cotton clothesline to hang wet gear or other camp needs, pill vial with Vaseline coated cotton balls to start a campfire in wet conditions or emergency, wide brim hat and head net for insects.

cmoulder
03-31-2020, 07:24
Maybe some Laundry Day Shorts (https://dutchwaregear.com/product/dutch-shorts/). 2-gallon freezer Ziploc and small container of Dawn for a backcountry washing machine.

Small tube of Lotrimin if you have athlete's foot.

Astro
03-31-2020, 13:16
Toenail clippers? Tweezers for ticks and splinters? GI can opener (P-38 or P-51)? Sewing needle and thread? Benadryl (in case of allergic reaction to stings)? Backup credit card (in case primary card gets compromised)?
These are all really good suggetions and I do all of them execept the GI can opener and Sewing needle/thread.

Once I got all my gear dialed in the one thing I actually added was a Sea to Summit pillow. Use to just use my clothes bag, but for 2 ounces and something smaller than your fist, I found it worth it.

trailmercury
03-31-2020, 13:22
A good guide book whether digital or hard copy. For AT thru, can't go wrong with White Blaze Pages, Guthook or AWOL.

Crossbar
03-31-2020, 16:15
One should never hike without one's flask. ;)

trailmercury
03-31-2020, 16:25
A backpacking flask does not have to be personalized or sophisticated:

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/an-empty-bottle-in-blue-on-a-white-background-picture-id144871875?k=6&m=144871875&s=612x612&w=0&h=K0kwYPXe7_hZT1wV5Av0NfDjMz5WO9vJzpKYRu598DI=

Captain Panda
03-31-2020, 17:15
Everybody has different ideas as to what is truly essential, and what can be considered non-essential. A lot depends on how important creature comforts are to you, and how you can adapt without them. As you progress during your hike, you will figure out what you really need; and will be surprised that some "essential" things get sent home due to lack of use. That said, here are my lists, and a bit of explanation:
Essential:
1. Lightweight camp shoes
2. High quality rain gear (it could save your life)
3. Waterproof stuff sacks ( I have 8 of various sizes which allows me to keep my gear organized and ready to go in the morning).
4. Dirty Girl Gaiters (wear them everyday)
5. HikeGoo (Lanolin based lubricant for feet; slather it on every morning to help prevent blisters)
6. Water scooper (cut the bottom off a Smartwater bottle)
7. Premithrim treated clothes and tick remover
8. Back scratcher (don't laugh; it's my one guilty pleasure and only weighs 1oz)
9. Bag liner (silk; almost weightless, keeps your sleeping bag clean, and can be washed)

Non-essential:
1. Stove and pot (I go stoveless)
2. Nalgene bottle (use Smartwater bottles)
3. Extra water bags (I use a Sawyer filter; just screw it onto my Smartwater bottle, and drink away)
4. Camp chair
5. Multitool (heavy and rarely used)

bigcranky
04-08-2020, 14:58
Everybody has different ideas as to what is truly essential, and what can be considered non-essential.

Very true.

On my "essential to me" list, that some hikers would find ridiculous:

Good quality rain gear
Waterproof roll top stuff sacks
Permethrin treated clothing
Water scoop (cut out of an old Sawyer bag)
"Real" camera, I take a Sony RV100vi plus a couple of batteries and a wall charger
Second set of clothing to have dry clothes in camp and also to wear in town
Wide brimmed hat for sun protection
Camp shoes, been using the same pair of rubber "Waldies" clogs I got at Neels Gap in 2003, got my money's worth
Hiking sticks, also use them for my tent poles
Ursack bear resistant bag, easier and faster than hanging
Very light one-layer "wind shirt"
"Sit pad" cut out of a piece of 3/8 inch foam

One Half
04-09-2020, 09:11
Some ideas: A pair of cotton socks for in-camp and night use, cheap flip-flops for camp, sit pad (thermo-rest Z pads are best in my view and very light), light weight water bottle that can be modified to scoop water for filtering, Gaitors (low cut) to keep trail duff out out your shoes, Uncle Bill's tweezer (the best tool to remove splinters and small thorns), plastic mesh onion bag to hang wet socks or other fabric from the pack, ICE (in case of emergency) listing in your cell phone for EMS use if needed, waterproof stuff sack(s) for gear that cannot get wet, small length of 3/8-inch cotton clothesline to hang wet gear or other camp needs, pill vial with Vaseline coated cotton balls to start a campfire in wet conditions or emergency, wide brim hat and head net for insects.

My camp socks are the same, just different color and taller ankle, as my hiking socks. That way if I have a problem, I have a backup pair of hiking socks. I only carry the camp socks and wear the 1 pr of hiking socks. Both are Darn Tough.

chknfngrs
04-09-2020, 10:47
Thought about buying a titanium flask from Vargo but can’t get over the cost of a bottle of soda. Empty and pour in your poison.

AsoloBootsSuk
04-09-2020, 13:44
These make great flasks. You can squeeze up a shot each night.

Starchild
04-09-2020, 13:56
The most essential non-essential gear is a foam sit pad, also used as a getting in/out of the tent 'landing'. I had one blow away on Big Bald or something like that, it must have flown for miles.

English Stu
04-13-2020, 11:00
If out for weeks Teva sandals as camp shoes are my essential. Before hiking I think they are a luxury; but they are a blessing to have with you to rest warm tired feet. Good to wear in a hostel and they can be walked in for a spell if you have shoe or foot problems.
Nail clippers- having a snagged nail can be irritating and rough stone to file the nail really does not solve it very well. When you have been out for a few weeks you realise you must have been out a while when all your nails need trimming.
A Sea to Summit pillow is well worth having - more comfortable than a stuff sack of clothes.

The Old Chief
04-13-2020, 11:59
Instead of a metal flask or thin-walled soda bottle, when you go purchase the libation just buy it in a pint sized plastic bottle. They are thin and fit easily in your pack and are thick-walled. If you buy the "fifth" size it can also be used for a water bottle when empty. It will be heavy at first but you can take care of that.

QiWiz
04-14-2020, 15:34
Hi so I pretty sure i have most of my major gear set and ready to rock, but just as a curiosity what is some things that are not essential but essential to you personally? One thing I do not have that I'm open to suggestions is camp footwear?
I think a cathole trowel is essential to digging an actual hole that meets LNT guidelines. Some disagree but they must be digging if different soil conditions than I have to deal with.

bigcranky
04-15-2020, 08:25
I think a cathole trowel is essential to digging an actual hole that meets LNT guidelines. Some disagree but they must be digging if different soil conditions than I have to deal with.

Several years ago I started carrying an aluminum "snow stake" tent stake for this purpose. It works very well in the rooty, rocky soil of the AT to dig catholes, and it can also be used as a tent stake if needed. It's light, too.

trailmercury
04-21-2020, 15:37
Instead of a metal flask or thin-walled soda bottle, when you go purchase the libation just buy it in a pint sized plastic bottle. They are thin and fit easily in your pack and are thick-walled. If you buy the "fifth" size it can also be used for a water bottle when empty. It will be heavy at first but you can take care of that.

good booze tends to come only is glass containers. For instance, I have never found Bulliet in plastic.

I second the trowel as essential. I favor "Deuce of spades", I have never tried QiWiz's trowel.

trailmercury
04-21-2020, 15:39
Several years ago I started carrying an aluminum "snow stake" tent stake for this purpose. It works very well in the rooty, rocky soil of the AT to dig catholes, and it can also be used as a tent stake if needed. It's light, too.

snow stakes are heavier than UL trowels.

kgordon
04-22-2020, 07:49
I found that a poop trowel was essential, i cant imagine trying to dig a hole with a stake, usually i dont have all that time before i need to get to business. I brought a small (very small) multi-too; that had a pair of scissors which i used a lot to cut KT tape (or the sleeves off my shirt when it got too hot), also had a very small knife which was all i needed.I also need a pillow.
Can openers are not needed.

RangerZ
04-22-2020, 08:35
I use a plastic pint Jim Beam bottle for ( appropriately ) my alcohol fuel. The flat shape fits my pack side pocket well.

colorado_rob
04-22-2020, 08:52
snow stakes are heavier than UL trowels. Nope, not. At least not "customized" ones, mine is 0.6 ounces, about the same as the smallest Duece of Spades, and much cheaper (free). I lost my first Duece of Spades, vowed I'd never again pay 20 bucks for a tiny piece of aluminum, so I took 2 minutes and sawed one of my zillion snow stakes off, works perfectly for cat holes, easier on the hand too with the curled lip. Pic below shows an original, 1-ish ounce stake and my 0.6 ounce cat hole trowel.

BTW, one of our essential pieces of gear is a 3 ounce monocular, great for scoping out wildlife. My wife carries it....

Deadeye
04-22-2020, 16:46
Thought about buying a titanium flask from Vargo but can’t get over the cost of a bottle of soda. Empty and pour in your poison.

Start with a bottle of spring water and you won't affect the flavor of your preferred poison!

QiWiz
04-23-2020, 12:58
Nope, not. At least not "customized" ones, mine is 0.6 ounces, about the same as the smallest Duece of Spades, and much cheaper (free). I lost my first Duece of Spades, vowed I'd never again pay 20 bucks for a tiny piece of aluminum, so I took 2 minutes and sawed one of my zillion snow stakes off, works perfectly for cat holes, easier on the hand too with the curled lip. Pic below shows an original, 1-ish ounce stake and my 0.6 ounce cat hole trowel.

Nice mod. Looks like it would break up hard soil just fine, but maybe not scoop out the dirt in the cathole quite as well as something more trowel-shaped. I know I quibble and bottom line is what works for you to make a legit LNT cathole. BTW, not sure of the weight of smallest aluminum trowel, but my Original is 0.4 ounces. It digs AND scoops really well. :D

GolfHiker
04-23-2020, 14:57
Never do the AT without your Sea to Summit portable water bag, preferably a stand alone version. You will quickly appreciate this item when you can haul up to 9 litres of water to camp from the water source, often a long distance from the sight/shelter. Great for dinner, clean up, breakfast and the morning hike out. Plus, you will always be popular with all the hikers in your group who share your water!

So, everything else you’ve seen here, AND the water bag!

lonehiker
04-23-2020, 15:05
...one thing I actually added was a Sea to Summit pillow. Use to just use my clothes bag, but for 2 ounces and something smaller than your fist, I found it worth it.

Not much is more essential than anything that will allow you to get a good nights sleep.

PopcornFool
04-23-2020, 20:08
My 'weird' essential "non-essential" is a string of LED lights. I use these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4Z3SX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I got off Amazon. A strand (with a pair of CR2032 button batteries) and an additional backup pair of batteries comes to a whopping 19g. I use them to add a little flair to my campsite. I also flip these on during my middle-of-the-night nature calls instead of fussing with my headlamp. They light the way back home when I'm done. Most importantly, since I don't carry a cell phone, they serve as a cheap lightweight backup for my headlamp if it fails on me for some reason. I had that happen on a rainy, moonless night in the deep woods one time and was literally fumbling in the dark like a blind person. Never again!

chknfngrs
04-24-2020, 08:49
Very smart! Might have to try this out!

My 'weird' essential "non-essential" is a string of LED lights. I use these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4Z3SX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I got off Amazon. A strand (with a pair of CR2032 button batteries) and an additional backup pair of batteries comes to a whopping 19g. I use them to add a little flair to my campsite. I also flip these on during my middle-of-the-night nature calls instead of fussing with my headlamp. They light the way back home when I'm done. Most importantly, since I don't carry a cell phone, they serve as a cheap lightweight backup for my headlamp if it fails on me for some reason. I had that happen on a rainy, moonless night in the deep woods one time and was literally fumbling in the dark like a blind person. Never again!

RangerZ
04-24-2020, 15:22
Not much is more essential than anything that will allow you to get a good nights sleep.

My S2S pillow greatly improved my sleep

nsherry61
04-25-2020, 14:03
. . . what is some things that are not essential but essential to you personally? . . .
Everything but shoes, depending on the weather. I can't walk long distances without shoes. But everything else is optional unless it's cold.

Cloths are completely unnecessary unless it's cold. If it's cold, we can add warm body covering to the essentials list. Everything else is optional.

My most important luxury items . . . a pack to carry my food and cloths and shelter all of which is unnecessary unless it's cold.

I think I've fallen off the deep end. Sorry. I just have issues with any attempts listing essentials (including the infamous 10) since what is essential is, as you allude to in the OP, quite personal and situation dependent. With well developed skills and experience, there is really little of anything one needs to be reasonably safe and happy as long as the bugs aren't too bad, weather is fair and either the trip is short or the food/water is otherwise plentiful.

As John Muir famously wrote: "Who has not felt the urge to throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence?"

Of course, a pound of tea seems a bit excessive, and I'll bet he considered wearing cloths as a given even if not an essential.

HankIV
04-25-2020, 19:39
Everything...

there is really little of anything one needs to be reasonably safe and happy as long as the bugs aren't too bad, weather is fair and either the trip is short or the food/water is otherwise plentiful..

So once a year in blueberry season, and there hasn’t been a drought and you don’t mind drinking wild. THEN you can hike in just shoes. Got it.

Crushed Grapes
04-25-2020, 20:14
I used a Vitamin Water bottle to hold my libations. If I was buying booze I'd just pour it into the VW bottle and recycle the glass. Only used 2 VW bottles for the entire thru last year. You don't need a fancy flask!

kevperro
04-27-2020, 20:02
When I hiked it in the 90s my only "non-essential" was probably a book. I always hiked with a book to read.

If I did it today, in my advanced "soft" old age, I'd probably take an inflatable pillow.

orthofingers
04-27-2020, 23:51
Piece of Tyvek to 1). put under my hammock to remove my shoes,2). Put under my pack to keep it out of the dirt, 3). Stand on when doing a "forest shower", 4). Sit on if the ground or log is wet

A CNOC Vecto 2L or 3L water bag screwed to a Sawyer Squeeze screwed to an adapter (or use a kiddie tornado tube cut short to engage the threads) which, in turn, is screwed to a Smart water bottle or other bottle with similar threads. Attach a loop string to the CNOC bag and hang from a branch for a great gravity water filter system.

in winter, a PE Nalgene filled with near boiling water covered in a thick sock . . . it holds heat through the night and you have water for your breakfast. The PE Nalgene is lighter than the more rigid Nalgene and works great as a water scoop for shallow water sources. Well worth the extra 3 or 4 ounces.

nsherry61
04-28-2020, 11:56
So once a year in blueberry season, and there hasn’t been a drought and you don’t mind drinking wild. THEN you can hike in just shoes. Got it.
I'd say that sums it up pretty well, except you could probably do it for a good month or two of most years depending on where you are doing it . . . and, just because the rest are luxury items, doesn't mean they don't have value and you wouldn't take more to enhance your experience. The "more" are just not essential.