PDA

View Full Version : Solo tent for very tall guy

Goon
03-14-2006, 17:33
My Eureka Gossamer solo tent has died... large rip where it isn't easy to repair. It was 3 1/2 lbs, just big enough for me (6'6" tall), easy to pack. Eureka isn't making it anymore. They do make the fiberglass pole version, the Solitaire, but I've heard bad things about the poles splitting.

Looking on Campmor I see the following are the largest solo tents of around the same weight, 3 1/2 lbs packed plus/minus a few ounces:

Kelty Crestone 1 8 ft. 10 in. x 3 ft. 5 in.
Eureka Spitfire 9 ft. x 3 ft. 6 in.
Sierra Designs Light Year CD 9 ft. 5 in. x 3 ft. 8 in.

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about these, especially considering height/length for a tall guy?

Any other tents I should be consider?

Thanks!

Clark Fork
03-14-2006, 18:36
My Eureka Gossamer solo tent has died... large rip where it isn't easy to repair. It was 3 1/2 lbs, just big enough for me (6'6" tall), easy to pack. Eureka isn't making it anymore. They do make the fiberglass pole version, the Solitaire, but I've heard bad things about the poles splitting.

Looking on Campmor I see the following are the largest solo tents of around the same weight, 3 1/2 lbs packed plus/minus a few ounces:

Kelty Crestone 1 8 ft. 10 in. x 3 ft. 5 in.
Eureka Spitfire 9 ft. x 3 ft. 6 in.
Sierra Designs Light Year CD 9 ft. 5 in. x 3 ft. 8 in.

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about these, especially considering height/length for a tall guy?

Any other tents I should be consider?

Thanks!

Another tent to consider:

Evolution 1 person tent 84"

If you are tall, consider the width. The Big Sky tent is only 36" wide.

It has two good writeups on Packpackgeartest.com

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word."

http://www.bigskyproducts.com/SummitShelters/SummitEvolution1Pdetails.htm

eightiesguy
03-14-2006, 18:49
I (like the OP) am in the 6'5"-6'6" range, and am also looking for a tent. I have been leaning towards the spitfire ($75 range on ebay). I'd also be curious about any recomendations from people of the taller variety.

Skidsteer
03-14-2006, 19:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9937&catid=favorites

This is a two-man tent made by Quest that I found at Dick's sporting goods. By eliminating some of the stakes you can get it down close to 4 lbs. It's fine for two people and gear outside or one person and gear inside. I'm 6"1" BTW. Costs @ $100.00.

Seeker
03-14-2006, 21:54
They do make the fiberglass pole version, the Solitaire, but I've heard bad things about the poles splitting.

how about just buying the new tent and using your old poles?

Skidsteer
03-14-2006, 21:58

Buh...buh...Brilliant! Good idea, Seeker.

Goon
03-15-2006, 11:13

Doh! Yes, a really good idea! Thanks!

Although since I'm in a tent buying mood, might as well keep looking around. I'll check out the Evolution 1 also. Backpackgeartest.com ... good site!

irritable_badger
03-15-2006, 12:20
Doh! Yes, a really good idea! Thanks!

Although since I'm in a tent buying mood, might as well keep looking around. I'll check out the Evolution 1 also. Backpackgeartest.com ... good site!

Before you make a purchase check out the MSR Fling. It's 2 man free standing tent and total weight (tent, poles, lines, ground cloth, and stuff sacks) comes in at under 4 Lbs and you get room to breath in there. I'm a bit over 6'4" and the Fling provides a ton of extra room with little to no weight penalty over most 1 man tents. Being a good sized guy myself I don't like the cramped quarters of a 1 man tent and this is not an issue with the Fling. I'll never go back to a 1 man tent. I wrote a review for it and posted it under the 'Gear Review' section, check it out.

Franco
03-17-2006, 18:12
Hi Goon
Have a look at this one
http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Franco

Hana_Hanger
03-17-2006, 18:45
You can't go wrong at the moment if you call Eureka they are having their 4oth Anniversary Sale...and you can get the Spitfire the newest one only 2 lbs 3.9 ounces for $122 or a Solitare for only $27.99 B rating or $37.99 A rating. You can also upgrade for a few dollars more for the special Gossamer
Alumiumn poles.
The website is closed during the sale...but they are taking phone orders at the moment.
Also there are two verisons of the Solitare one with a zipper on the top besides the door. So you can reach in and remove things if using the tent for storage...like I do.
Hope you find one you like...Wendy was very helpful over the phone in case you call.

RockyTrail
03-17-2006, 19:11
I have the Sierra Designs Light Year CD and it is a fine tent especially for heavy weather, it is tough and secure. I am 6'3" and about 220 and it is no problem size wise; I usually have extra floor room above my head where a keep a clothes bag for a pillow or other stuff. I really like it and use it in winter or expected extreme conditions, other wise I use a Shires Tarptent Squall the other 3 seasons. The Squall is much larger inside, is lighter, is cooler and more breezy, but not as long from head to toe, so the headroom is less. Also the LightYear has a smaller footprint so you can camp on those flat but narrow spots that others can't.

The best way to climb in the LightYear is to drop your rear end in the door first, knock your boots off, raise your feet and spin around to the right to get your legs in the tent. Keep boots in vestible and reverse process to exit.

eightiesguy
03-22-2006, 11:41
I ended up ordering a spitfire (not the new UL version). It came yesterday, and when I set it up in my living room (stupid ohio weather... snow.... go figure), I was able to lay fairly comfortably in it. I'm 6'5" and could almost stretch out completely without touching the sides of the tent. I'm still deciding on what type of sleeping pad to use with this tent. I don't think a full length pad will fit without being cut down, but a 3/4 length one should fit. Does anyone that owns this tent (or one similar) have any suggestions about sleeping pads?

Goon
03-22-2006, 19:39
I on the other hand found the Sierra Designs Light Year CD on sale this last weekend at REI (plus I had some dividend money), so that's what I've bought. Set it up in the yard and I was able to lay down in it. Not much room left, but there wasn't much in the Eureka Gossamer either.

I'm doing a section this weekend. I'll let yall know how it sleeps.

Blaf
03-27-2006, 00:04
Hi guys. I am looking into one of those tents too. My problem is, where do you put your backpacks? Tents are small, vestibules are small,...How do you solve this problem?

Thanks.

Franco
03-27-2006, 06:59
Is this enough room for you?
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/room-at-the-inn.jpg
You can also put the pack outside against the wall or to one side inside
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/vestibule-1.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/length-at-110cm.jpg
or at head end as a windstopper.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/wind-stop.jpg
Franco

RockyTrail
03-27-2006, 11:50
I lean my pack against a nearby tree with a raincover over it

Blaf
03-27-2006, 23:38
Thanks guys for suggestions. My backpack is empty overnight anyway, so I could leave it outside with raincover over it.

Looks like I will go ahead with Spitfire although it is so many tents out there, so hard to decide...

Goon
03-29-2006, 12:26
Spent Saturday night at the Cable Gap shelter in NC. (Very cold and lots of snow. Awesome hiking weather.)

The Light Year slept great. Length and width wise I had as much room as the the Eureka Gossamer (not much, but enough to sleep in), and the extra head room was handy. Set up was easier with the clip on poles. Plus a few ounces lighter. Slept well.

Approved!