PDA

View Full Version : whats really on the menu?????

Wolfpaw
03-14-2006, 18:15
I am leaving for Ga tomorrow which is the 15 ill be staying @the hiker hostile overight and leaving springer in the am. I am wondering about what foods people really eat. I am packing over and over finding that I have a lot of weight in food but not a four day supply to start. What should I be looking for. peace paw

MOWGLI
03-14-2006, 18:26
I am leaving for Ga tomorrow which is the 15 ill be staying @the hiker hostile overight and leaving springer in the am. I am wondering about what foods people really eat. I am packing over and over finding that I have a lot of weight in food but not a four day supply to start. What should I be looking for. peace paw

Here's a list of common stuff;

Mac n cheese
bagels
peanut butter
gorp
energy bars (Power, Clif, Luna, etc)
Granola bars
oatmeal
nuts
fruit (apples, oranges) - you'll find Granny Smith apples don't bruise
tortillas
beef jerky
cous cous
liptons meals (rice, pasta, etc)
condiments (hot sauce, seasoning)
olive oil
dehydrated milk (to add to Liptons dinners, mac n cheese, etc)
poptarts
snickers bars
milky way
100,00 Grand bars

That's a start. Checkout some of the food threads. Josh & Leigh can set you right at the hostel. They are hikers. In fact, they gave me some of their leftover food in 2000 in Monson, ME. They do it right.

Have a great trip.

SGTdirtman
03-14-2006, 18:58
isnt a cous cous a lil furry animal....

MOWGLI
03-14-2006, 19:01
I left cheese off the list. How could I have done that???

digger51
03-14-2006, 19:04
I will start out with 6 days of food.
Mac and cheese x3
Tuna for mac and cheese x3
Freeze dried chicken and veggies x1
Freeze dried lasagna x1
Freeze dried vegetable mac and cheese x1
Bagels and cream cheese for breakfast x6
Seasonings
Chocolate candy
Honey sticks
Liptons chicken noodle soup x6
Instant tea and lemonade mix

I also just got some bulk meat and veggies in the mail. 48 meals worth of a meat and veggies total weight less than 5 pounds. Freeze dried is great just not cheap. These will be sorted and mixed and mailed ahead.
Josh and Leigh will do you right also. They know how to lighten a load and what to pack.
God luck on your hike.

Disney
03-14-2006, 21:21
Breakfast - Instant oatmeal eaten out of the wax packets (no clean up).
Lunch - Gorp or Granola Bars
Snack - Triscuts and pepperoni or cheese or more granola bars
Dinner - Mac and Cheese or Lipton Side or instant mashed potatoes.

Then when you hike, you'll see other people eating other things and say WOW that looks awesome, then copy them.
Then you'll get cravings and make your own menu when you resupply.

Blissful
03-14-2006, 21:27
I found these GREAT dry fruit strips at Target - it's their Archer Farms brand - they are 100% fruit, organic, no added sugar. Individually packaged. Gives you a taste of fruit between towns. I used them this past weekend on a trip. I plan to put them in my mail drops in 2007.

Rendezvous01
03-14-2006, 21:54
Paw--
You could add summer sausage to the list.
One of my favorite meals on the Trail was instant mashed potatoes (usually packet of 4 servings), 4 oz. cheddar cheese cut into small pieces, seasonings (I carried half a dozen different), and half an 8 oz. log of summer sausage, diced. Or substitute pepperoni for the sausage. Nice change of pace from the pasta routine, and it's ready to eat five minutes after you light your stove.

Have a safe trip down to Georgia tomorrow, and best of luck on the Trail!

Wolfpaw
03-14-2006, 22:18
yeah thanks folks now if i can just shed a few pounds off my pack il be good. i leave at 2 on weds the 15 no sleep till amicalola. peace paw

themooseisloose
03-14-2006, 22:28
Don't worry with regular mac and cheese (where you have to add powdered milk and some sort of butter) - get EASY MAC! It's the kids microwavable version, but it works just as well on a stove. The powder that comes with it includes everything you need and it is prepacked (one package of the mac and one package of the cheese). And the best part is, it actually tastes better than the regular stuff (I expected it to be awful, but it's actually fabulous).

Oh, and if you're near a Trader Joes, they too have organic fruit leathers and they're great.

neo
03-15-2006, 10:09
breakfast
oatmeal i like making my own
biscotti and cappuccino
hot cocoa

lunch and snacks
granola bars
cheese and beef sticks
cookies
candy bars
peanut butter and crackers

dinner
rice dinners
noodle dinners
ramen noodles
tea
mac n cheese

sarbar
03-18-2006, 16:11
Trader Joe's is selling freeze dried fuit now! And very cheap too :)
You could always visit my website for ideas ;)

1Pint
03-21-2006, 18:29
breakfast

biscotti and cappuccino
hot cocoa

Ahhh... biscotti and cappuccino... now that's the way to start the day!