PDA

View Full Version : Bandanas

RMGreen
03-14-2006, 18:45
I did a forum search and didn't find anything specific, so forgive me if this has been covered already. It seems like a lot of places I look concerning gear bandanas are mentioned as being a very functional, versitile piece of equipment. Being new to backpacking, I guess I haven't absorbed all the common knowledge associated with bandanas.

So what's all the fuss about? What can you do with it that's so handy besides put it on your head and look rediculous/bad-ass (depending on your personal opinion)?

Thanks in advance!

RMGreen

Almost There
03-14-2006, 18:56
Use it as a towel, toilet wipe, filter for water if you don't carry a filter, emergency bandage, etc. Others I am sure have other uses, let's just say it can be a versatile, light option for gear.

the goat
03-14-2006, 19:04
i use it to cover the prefilter on my water pump in muddy water. this keeps it from clogging.
i use it to look badass as well.

Skidsteer
03-14-2006, 19:04
Use it as a towel, toilet wipe, filter for water if you don't carry a filter, emergency bandage, etc.

Not necessarily in that order!:eek: :D

SGTdirtman
03-14-2006, 19:14
my "bandana" isnt really a bandana, its a triangular military bandage... its bigger and thinner than a regular bandana and comes in my favorite color OD green.

Besides being macho headware, it keeps sweat out of my eyes, keeps my head a lil bit warmer, can be used as a face mask, obviously its a good bandage, emergency water filter, small towel, good temporary fix for many things that need to be tied together, can be used to make a molitov cocktail, you can gag someone with it, put your shirt inside it and tie it together to make a little pillow, or carry things with it, make a little flag out of it and stick it in the ground proclaiming the forest as your own...

the list goes on

Doctari
03-14-2006, 19:20
More hints:
hanky, bandana (head wrap), tie gear to whatever, flag, napkin, table cloth, pillow stuffing, nightime blindfold (keep light out of your eyes), cold/heat compress, wash cloth, towel, carry bag, sling, etc.

Doctari.

Two Speed
03-14-2006, 19:28
pot holder

Seems like there was website with "50 uses for a bandana." Wish everything I carried in my backpack had as many alternate uses as a bandana.

bigmac_in
03-14-2006, 20:11
I like to wear the bandana because it is cooler than a hat, good for sweat absorption, and covers the head from insects (ticks).

Plus the before-mentioned bad-ass look......

Just Jeff
03-14-2006, 20:15
I hang one on my shoulder strap. One corner for a snot rag, one corner for a sweat rag, and one corner for a prefilter.

Blissful
03-14-2006, 21:14
I hang one on my shoulder strap. One corner for a snot rag, one corner for a sweat rag, and one corner for a prefilter.

irk. Hope you know which part was used for what and how you keep it all straight!! :)

But I have heard bandanas are very handy - someone suggested I add that to my gear list. Just wondering if they take forever to dry in humid conditions though then something like the pack towel.

Though I got a medium pack towel to put in the bounce / town box. I hear that sometimes you have to pay to use a towel at hostels (?).

april2006
03-14-2006, 22:46
Bandana's are definately an all-purpose item. I use one to keep my hair out of my eyes everytime I hike. They keep alot of the dirt and twigs, etc out of your hair if you have long hair too. Unfortunately I don't look bad-ass in them - more like heidi. :)

orangebug
03-14-2006, 23:15
Mapdanas are handy to keep those phone numbers and the gestalt of the local trail available to you instantly.

Miss Janet
03-14-2006, 23:23
I have four sets of Mapsdanas for sale at a nicley discounted price... 40 $ per set to the first 4 to respond...

I have a free set for L. Wolf to start the AT with tomorrow!!

don't worry about L. Wolf... he has a few Brokeback issues...

Panzer1
03-14-2006, 23:51
Wasn't there a song by Paul Simon back in the 80's called:
"50 Ways To Use Your Bandana"

Panzer

C-Stepper
03-15-2006, 08:50
I've used mine before, wild west gangster style, to cover my mouth and nose to keep the gnats out of my orifices...if one more bug flew up my nose...AAAAAAARRRRGGGGG!

kyhipo
03-15-2006, 09:27
I have worn a bandana since i started to hike,keeps the sweat out ect ect,like a hat to me feel strange with out one.:-? ky

fivefour
03-15-2006, 09:58
i use mine to pop squirrels on the butt as i walk by. man do they ever hate that.

JP
03-15-2006, 10:24
Wrap a rock or roll of quarters in it, hold both ends and use it to beat the snot out of a would be muger ( or someone that calls you gay ).

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 10:42
I have 2 bandanas. One I have sewn the "soft" side of a Velcro "dot" to, and the "rough" side to the back of my pack for easy attachement. Also experimenting with a grommet and 'biner, but I think the ounces of metal start tol add up...

Alligator
03-15-2006, 11:16
I have 2 bandanas. One I have sewn the "soft" side of a Velcro "dot" to, and the "rough" side to the back of my pack for easy attachement. Also experimenting with a grommet and 'biner, but I think the ounces of metal start tol add up...
Try safety pins on your pack. Then you can hang socks, a wat hat, etc.

jlb2012
03-15-2006, 11:25
similar to the mapdana in concept I wish someone would market a series of game board bandanas - checkerboard, backgammon, nine men's morris, etc.

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 11:34
Try safety pins on your pack. Then you can hang socks, a wat hat, etc.

Good grief, why dont I think that far ahead!? and I am sure that, like the bandana, the pin would be very multi-purpose!
I will try, but my thing about the pins is 1. too much time (velcro=easy on/off) and 2. knowing me, i'll stick myself!!

Alligator
03-15-2006, 12:12
similar to the mapdana in concept I wish someone would market a series of game board bandanas - checkerboard, backgammon, nine men's morris, etc.
Cosmic wimpout used to come with a bandana. Might still be able to get it that way, but usually it's just the dice they sell.

I bought a set of cheap plastic chess pieces at the dollar store, so I just need the board. I keep passing through the fabric section at the store watching for checkered cloth. I didn't buy it the one time I saw it, big mistake as it wasn't there the next time. I know I'll get it eventually.

The Cheat
03-15-2006, 12:50

http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=LAB018

The Cheat
03-15-2006, 12:53

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/store/customer/product.php?productid=19731&cat=

Seeker
03-15-2006, 12:57
just get a white handkerchief (since it's already got a nice hem) and use a laundry marker and ruler to lay out a 1.5" grid system (8 x 8 would be about 1 foot square). then color in every other square and you've made your own...

anything works good for checkers, even sticks (peeled vs unpeeled, or darkened with a flame or charcoal).... i'm thinking about using that thin craft styrofoam they sell next to the felt pieces in walmart for chess... maybe cut out a bunch of circles the size of a quarter... one side up, they're checkers... turned over, they'd be marked with chess symbols...

Alligator
03-15-2006, 13:02
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=LAB018
Don't know what terms I was searching on last time but all I ever got were racing car hits. Thanks.

Just found this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00079ZVMG/102-3972530-0256165?v=glance&n=1036592
and this
http://www.cre8ivitee.com/bandanas.htm
but I do like the border on the one you found.

Mags
03-15-2006, 13:06
A bandana keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
Also helps protect my scalp from getting too much sun in recent years.

Other useful ideas:
http://www.tfn.net/~kate901/maindana.htm
http://www.tfn.net/~kate901/band57.htm

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 13:21
anything works good for checkers, even sticks (peeled vs unpeeled, or darkened with a flame or charcoal).... i'm thinking about using that thin craft styrofoam they sell next to the felt pieces in walmart for chess... maybe cut out a bunch of circles the size of a quarter... one side up, they're checkers... turned over, they'd be marked with chess symbols...

There's also some craft foam about 1/8" thick (maybe less) in the craft dept too that is already cut/shaped. Oh gosh, cant think what its called! Its usually in the area with the pompons, scrapbook and jewelry-making stuff.

Foamies is one of the major brands...

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 13:23
try that one

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 13:23
oops, do over...

http://www.trollandtoad.com/pd1641022.html?associateid=31_7

orangebug
03-15-2006, 18:21
Good grief, why dont I think that far ahead!? and I am sure that, like the bandana, the pin would be very multi-purpose!
I will try, but my thing about the pins is 1. too much time (velcro=easy on/off) and 2. knowing me, i'll stick myself!!
Safety pins are great for changing a fleece jacket into a sling for injuries. They are also excellent as zipper pulls, blister poppers, splinter removers, subungual hematoma relievers, and more.

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 18:27
Safety pins are great for changing a fleece jacket into a sling for injuries. They are also excellent as zipper pulls, blister poppers, splinter removers, subungual hematoma relievers, and more.

Looks like I might be sticking myself intentionally! I can walk and chew gum at the same time, but when it comes to sharp objects... stay away! I am accident-prone (minor stuff!) with them...

KirkMcquest
03-15-2006, 19:30
I use mine to keep sweat out of eyes. It is also an integral part of my coffee making. Place grounds in boiled water pot. Wait for grounds to settle to the bottom, then place bandana over coffee cup to act as a 'filter' while pouring. This is the 'real' way to make coffee outdoors and gives you a real boost.:)

Panzer1
03-15-2006, 21:06
I have D-rings on the front of my shoulder straps. I just pull the bandana into the D ring. There is enough friction that it will not fall off. Then when I need it to wipe my face, I just grab it and pull it out. Always handy.

Interesting enough, bandana's are the only thing made of cotton that I bring with me on a hike. Cotton does have its place.

Panzer

Doctari
03-16-2006, 04:43
I have D-rings on the front of my shoulder straps. I just pull the bandana into the D ring. There is enough friction that it will not fall off. Then when I need it to wipe my face, I just grab it and pull it out. Always handy.

Interesting enough, bandana's are the only thing made of cotton that I bring with me on a hike. Cotton does have its place.

Panzer

I agree, the only cotton I carry is my 2 bandannas. Great items. Good Idea thru the D rings! :banana

Doctari.

fivefour
03-16-2006, 09:40

Panzer

yep, i do the same thing. it's great to have a bandana that handy. especially this time of year when my allergies are in full swing. but with the bandana handy, it snot a problem. :)

onicoe
03-17-2006, 11:19
a few of the first posts mention filtering. i'm curious if a bandana could reasonably be substituted for an actual filter or chemical treatment, while hiking the AT?

Seeker
03-17-2006, 11:35
they meant filtering chunks of dirt, bark, leaves, leeches, bugs, and pond scum, before running it though your regular filter. pre-filter might have beeb a better term...

fivefour
03-17-2006, 12:15
i have known thru hikers to just use a banadana as a filter. I probably wouldn't trust that, but i have seen it done.

Just Jeff
03-17-2006, 12:26
No - filters usually filter to 2 microns to get all the mircro-critters. Bandanas only get out the dirt and sticks. But using a bandana for the gunk and aquamira for the critters works for me.

Just Jeff
03-17-2006, 12:28
i have known thru hikers to just use a banadana as a filter. I probably wouldn't trust that, but i have seen it done.

That's known as "not treating" the water! It works fine in lots of places, but I always carry AM in case I'm not sure of the source.