PDA

View Full Version : OR Sonora Sombrero

RagingHampster
02-17-2003, 15:42
I'm one who tends to burn, peel, and be white again. I always wear a hat and shirt, even when it's eleventy thousand degrees out. My current hat is 5 years old and completely falling apart. It's held together with duct tape & superglue. So I think It's time for a new hat to go with my new shoes.

I just ordered the OR Sonora Sombrero from Campmor. It's UPF rating is 50, blocking 100% of UV radiation (for the khaki color). It's also highly breatheable and drys very quickly. I considered the Seattle sombrero, but it sucks up heat, and I'll be using an umbrella anyways if it rains (and if the sun is real bad).

Lugnut
02-18-2003, 02:22
RH, I've read your posts here and from what I can see you've really got it all together. Your equipment posts are very insightful. Having said that; If I see someone hiking while wearing a sombrero I hope I'm not near a cliff 'cause I'l be falling over LMAO! :D

RagingHampster
02-18-2003, 10:04
Oh come on! LOL!

It's not a 50gallon cowboy hat, or a mexican siesta hat. It's more like a beach hat which you can fold and secure the sides up.

Take a look...
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=18983

Removeable drawstring lets you keep it on yourhead when windy.

Lugnut
02-18-2003, 13:16
RH, that looks good. Don't understand why they call it a sombrero though. I was picturing running into the Cisco Kid.:)

RagingHampster
03-02-2003, 17:06
The hat sucks. Brim wont stay where you fold it & fits like crap. Construction is poor. Thats all I can say. Returned it.

Ordered an Australian Outback Oilskin Safari Hat.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3023700&parent_category_rn=5227672

Hope this will be better.

I'll change my name to RagingIndianaHampsterJones :)

Moose2001
03-02-2003, 19:50
RH - I have the same problem as you with burning and peeling. I brought along a Columbia wide brim hat. Hardly ever wore the damn thing and it was gone at Fontana. The biggest problem I had with the sun was in GA. I burnt the hell out of the top of my ears between Gooch Gap and Slaughter Gap. It was chilly that day and just didn't realize what was going on. After that, a little dab of suncreen worked fine. As soon as the leaves came out, never had a problem again.

TJ aka Teej
03-02-2003, 22:55
Originally posted by RagingHampster
I just ordered the OR Sonora Sombrero from Campmor

The brim on the back hits my backpack. YMMV.