PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a 3 or 4 day loop in the Smokys

TSWisla
04-13-2020, 11:53
Looking to do a loop in the Smokys. Thank you in advance!

martinb
04-13-2020, 13:00
When do you want to do this loop? For now,

Park Extends Closure to Support Regional COVID-19 Prevention Efforts

Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials announced that all park areas, except the Foothills Parkway and Spur, will remain closed until further notice. The park is likely to remain closed at least through April 30.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm

HooKooDooKu
04-13-2020, 13:17
There are TONS of two night (3 day) hikes in GSMNP.

Anything specific you'd like to see?
What kind of daily milage you looking to do?
What do you expect of the first day (in the way of milage)? Basically, are you going to drive to the Smokies the day before and stay in a hotel room, or like I do, wake about 3am, get to the Smokies about 10 o'clock local time, and don't plan for a "full day hike" the 1st day?

TNhiker
04-13-2020, 15:35
in addition to what HooKooDooKu is asking to suggest a loop------

if one does a search on here, there have been a ton of threads that address this on WB....

that will give you, in addition to what is in this thread, some other options...

TSWisla
04-13-2020, 16:40
I realize that the trails are closed now, but as soon as I get the green light, I am going. Doing some planning at this point. I would like to do 10 miles a day give or take. I'd love to see anything in the mountains. I would probably drive and hit the trail late in the day right away.

TSWisla
04-13-2020, 16:41
Was thinking of starting at Big Creek unless you have a better starting point. Again, I am open for anything. You all seem to have some great ideas. Thank you again.

TNhiker
04-13-2020, 16:50
big creek?

go up Big Creek Trail to Low Gap, then on AT west to Cosby Knob shelter....

Spend night at Cosby Knob...

AT over to Tricorner shelter and spend night...

Balsam mountain trail to Laurel Gap shelter, spend night...

Mount Sterling Ridge Trail over to Mount Sterling campsite #38....

Spend night and take Baxter Creek Trail back to parking lot....

Thats a decent loop of seeing the creek then getting up on ridge and having some but not much views from up there....

i didnt do math on mileage so some chunks of the loop i suggest aren't going to get you to 10 miles a day.....

HooKooDooKu
04-13-2020, 22:12
big creek?

go up Big Creek Trail to Low Gap, then on AT west to Cosby Knob shelter....

Spend night at Cosby Knob...

AT over to Tricorner shelter and spend night...

Balsam mountain trail to Laurel Gap shelter, spend night...

Mount Sterling Ridge Trail over to Mount Sterling campsite #38....

Spend night and take Baxter Creek Trail back to parking lot....

Thats a decent loop of seeing the creek then getting up on ridge and having some but not much views from up there....

i didnt do math on mileage so some chunks of the loop i suggest aren't going to get you to 10 miles a day.....
The down side to this loop is that it by-passes the Mt Camerer Lookout tower.
You can still do the same basic loop and take the side trail to Mt. Camerer by parking at the Big Creek Ranger station and take Chestnut Branch to access the AT.
It's about 7.5 miles between Cosby and Tricorner, a little more than 6 to Laural Gap, and about another 6 to #38. To finish the loop, it's a 3/4 mile road walk from the end of Baxter Creek back to the Ranger Station.

HooKooDooKu
04-13-2020, 23:32
Totally different loop:
Park at the Sinks at the Megis Creek trail head and hike Megis Creek and Mtn trails to CS20.
The next day, hike to Jakes Creek trail and Miry Ridge trail to CS26... with an optional side trip to Blanket Mtn
(At the intersection of Lynn Camp Prong, Miry Ridge, and Jakes Creek, there is an old trail to the top of the near-by mountain. It is the site of an old fire tower now long gone with little to no view, but still an interesting side trip).
The next day, continue Miry Ridge to the AT and camp at Spence Field shelter... getting to see the views from Thunder Mountain.
The next day, hike down to CS18. You can either take the direct route, or take the longer way down Lead Cove and Turkey Ridge and School House Gap.
Finish the loop with using Lumber Ridge to get back to Meigs Creek.

This loop (while hot at the lower elevations if you have to wait until summer) gives water falls along Megis Creek, creek fording along Megis Creek, pretty campsite (26), mountain top views along the AT and at Thunderhead Mtn, a GSMNP shelter, and a campsite along a creek (18).

TSWisla
04-14-2020, 08:45
Thank you. So I will either have to stay at a shelter or designated campsite. Is is difficult to get reservations for the backwoods sites?

TNhiker
04-14-2020, 09:35
Is is difficult to get reservations for the backwoods sites?

usually not......

just depends upon time of year and all that....

dont try for shelters in thru hiking season as they will be packed......

and with this virus----who knows how the crowd will be once the Park reopens.....

TSWisla
04-14-2020, 10:40
usually not......

just depends upon time of year and all that....

dont try for shelters in thru hiking season as they will be packed......

and with this virus----who knows how the crowd will be once the Park reopens.....

I see, so lots of planning involved. OK, thank you for the information. Gives me much to think about.

HooKooDooKu
04-14-2020, 10:58
Is is difficult to get reservations for the backwoods sites?
The earlier you get your reservation the better...
You can get reservations starting 30 days before your first night in the park.

Excluding 'special situations', I've never had problems getting a reservation for a particular campsite when I've tried at the 30 day mark.
By contrast, I once waited until the last minute to get a reservation and found NOTHING available in the back country for a group of 3 for a Memorial Day weekend.
{So certain times of the year have greater demand than others}

A typical scenario for me is that I wait until the 10-day weather forecast gives me a clue as to what the weather will be for my trip, and I'll sometimes find a few of my desired campsites are not available for a particular day and will have to adjust my plans... but perhaps half the time, I can get every campsite I want that late.

A few high-demand campsites are more difficult to get a reservation than others:
LeConte Shelter and CS38 are two spots that immediately come to mind that can regularly be difficult to get a reservation unless you're trying closer to the 30 day mark.

TSWisla
05-23-2020, 12:15
Megis Creek trail head is safe to park at?

TNhiker
05-23-2020, 17:25
Megis Creek trail head is safe to park at?

that's the sinks....

a pretty popular area......

i would say it's fairly safe...

never have heard of any real problems there besides graffiti.....

but just like any other parking area, your mileage may vary...

TSWisla
05-24-2020, 12:04
Of course. Thank you. Would there be another option for overnight parking?

HooKooDooKu
05-26-2020, 23:34
The only "BAD" overnight parking spot I ever heard of around the Smokies is Davenport Gap.
Years ago, Maddron Bald Trailhead just off 321 used to also be listed as a bad spot, but I believe the culprit that was breaking into cars there was caught and hasn't been an issue since.
I have heard from locals that problems do occur from time to time. But they are the exception, not the norm, and I don't hear of any spots in particular that problems exist (previous statements exclude).
Beyond that, you just have to use common sense.
Don't leave items in plain sight to encourage a criminal.
Places that are more public have fewer issues (example, when issues have occurred at Alum Cave trailhead, they were more likely to occur to vehicles parked in the lower lot hidden from the road rather than the upper lot right on the road).

TNhiker
05-27-2020, 00:07
Years ago, Maddron Bald Trailhead just off 321 used to also be listed as a bad spot, but I believe the culprit that was breaking into cars there was caught and hasn't been an issue since.

yeah.........at least one of the residents that lived on the road going into the trailhead went to prison for it......

he (and maybe they) would watch cars driving in to the trailhead and then hit them up while on trail.....

however, that's been well over ten years ago, and more than likely, they are outta prison by now....

or maybe not.....

but, i havent heard any problems from that area like i did when all that was going on......

The only "BAD" overnight parking spot I ever heard of around the Smokies is Davenport Gap.

that's the worst one.....

another bad one, and its hit or miss-----is mount sterling gap trailhead......

and surprisingly, a place that one would think, by way of it's a place of boredom for the locals as evident in the spray paint, is bad
isnt that bad at all...

while i have heard the occasional and have seen the glass on ground (and one of the last times, dude was just coming off trail back to his truck
that had been smashed open), the end of the road to nowhere isnt that bad at all...

i would think that place would get hit all the time by the locals but everytime ive parked anywhere on the road, and for sometimes days at a time,
my car has been fine.....

Places that are more public have fewer issues (example, when issues have occurred at Alum Cave trailhead, they were more likely to occur to vehicles parked in the lower lot hidden from the road rather than the upper lot right on the road).

alum cave is a place that ebbs and flows with their break ins....

it will get a rash of them over the course of a few days, weeks, months whatever, and then it will stop...

mainly cause the people are getting caught.......

and yeah, lower lot is the one that gets the most....

TNhiker
05-27-2020, 00:09

i think, and dont quote me on this----ths sinks is probably a good place to park......

lots of traffic that only stops, usually, for a few minutes or so taking photos of the area....

not sure but i think its legal to park there......i dont know of any restrictions for that area....

and ive never heard of anything, besides graffiti and drownings, in that area....

TSWisla
07-31-2020, 18:50
Reviving this thread. Looking for some more 3 to 4 day loop ideas, doing 10+ miles a day. The one suggested by HooKooDooKu was amazing. Thank you in advance.

TNhiker
07-31-2020, 20:19
Reviving this thread. Looking for some more 3 to 4 day loop ideas, doing 10+ miles a day

i dont have map in front of me so i cant figure out mileage but here's a decent route........

gives you a little of everything...

start at clingmans dome.............take AT to welch ridge...............welch ridge to hazel creek....

stay somewhere along hazel creek........

next day, hazel creek to lakeshore turning left......

cut across lake shore to 81 or 76 ............stay night.....

lakeshore over to forney creek and take that up to 68 or 69.....

stay night..........

then forney creek climb back up to the parking lot of clingmans dome.....

along the way-----views from the ridge of the AT..........waterfall and creek on hazel creek......

lots of historical elements like old homesites and cemeteries all the way over to forney.....

after the climb up, could shoot over to andrews bald and check that out before heading to parking lot....

HooKooDooKu
08-01-2020, 01:40
i dont have map in front of me so i cant figure out mileage but here's a decent route........

gives you a little of everything...
TNHiker,
Great loop, but too ambitious for someone looking for 3-4 days at 10mpd. A very quick once over seems to indicate that loop is over 50 miles, and really more like 55 since if you're going to be in the neighborhood, you MUST include the out-n-back side trail of Bone Valley to the cabin.

TSWisla,
Any loop that includes that long distance along Lake Shore trail between Hazel and Forney Creek, I could only recommend when the weather cools down (late September to early November).

Lakeshore Loop:
Now if you are willing to extend your hike to 4 nights (to avoid pushing your daily distance), a similar loop would be to park at the Tunnel at the end of the "Road to No Where" and hike up Bear Creek staying at CS75 the 1st night. Next morning, finish the climb up Bear Creek, and go down Cold Spring Gap and Hazel Creek CS83, taking the side trails to High Rocks and Bone Valley Trail. Third day, being the Lake Shore Loop similar to TNHikers description, with the 3rd night at 81, with side trips down to the lake near campsite 86 and again at Olies Cove (the trail to Olies Cove is denoted by two dots off Lake Shore to that tiny cove south-east of CS86). 4th night would be to continue on Lakeshore to 98, and the 5th day back to the tunnel. With all the side trails, this comes out to right close to 50 miles, and can be shortened by several miles if need be by skipping the side trails.

Cataloochee:
If you can stretch your daily limit, an interesting hike is what I call the Cataloochee Lollipop. Park at the park boundary at the trailhead for Cataloochee Divide (warning, there's only enough parking for about two cars, three if you are lucky). Hike the Cataloochee Divide to Double Gap, then down that trail to CS41. Next day, back track to Double Gap and turn to the right to follow Hemphill Bald and half of Rough Fork, returning to CS41 for your second night (this day is the "stretch" because you've got a major climb to return to Double Gap, some more climbing to Hemphill Bald, and the loop for the day is about 13 miles). The last day, return to your car via Caldwell and McGee Branch and Cataloochee Divide.
You would think hiking the park boundary would be boring, but there are actually several great views, and there is an small side trail to Learning Center at Purchase Knob for an additional view. The best view will be the 2nd day from Hemphill Bald, as well as some nice pasture land views as you continue the loop. The campsite is nice because it's beside a creek. But depending upon the time of year, it can be very buggy.

Forney-Jonas:
If you love water crossings, a terrific two night loop is to park at Clingman's Dome and hike down Forney Creek and stay at CS70, and the next day, hike up Jonas Creek and on to Silers Bald shelter. Finish the loop the following day on the AT to Clingmans Dome. The 2nd day will be less than 10 miles, but the climb will make if feel like more than 10. Of course the last day back out is only a little over 4 miles.

Forney-Noland:
In the same general area, you can make a 2 or 3 night loop out of Forney Creek, the Tunnel at the end of the Road to No Where, Noland Creek, Noland Divide, and completing the loop via the AT.
I did this loop as a two night hike staying at CS70 and CS63. A three night loop could be made using CS70, CS67, and CS62. To get to explore all the trails around the tunnel, I would get to CS67 by hiking the Tunnel Bypass Trail and taking Gold Mine loop clockwise. CS67 is at the end of a side trail more than 1/10 of a mile long. The next morning, finish Gold Mine loop clockwise, but then walk the tunnel. Beyond the tunnel is a 3/4 mile road walk to Noland Creek trail. Access to the trail is via a trail head on the right side of the road after walking across the bridge that spans Noland Creek (so you wind up walking both over and under that bridge). The last day, when you get to the top of Noland Divide trail, turn RIGHT onto the road leading AWAY from Clingman's Dome. In about 3/4 mile, you will come to a saddle. When the hillside on your left comes down to meet the road in this saddle, the AT is about 30' from the road way (simple "bush whack", with no "whacking" required). Finish the loop by hiking to the observation tower at Clingman's Dome. If you are in a hurry to get back to your car, take the paves path strait down the hill from the observation tower. If you want to see just a little bit more mountain crest views, start down the paved path, but take the trail that soon appears on your right and follow the AT for about 1/10th mile out to the Bypass Trail.
Now that I think about it, the Forney-Noland offers as much if not more variety than TNHiker's loop that this would be the idea I would most suggest for your next hike as a three nighter. Wait until September to early November (because while you're starting at nearly the highest point, most the campsites are at lower elevations, with the middle night off Goldmine loop being nearly at lake level).

TSWisla
08-01-2020, 09:04
@TNhiker and @HooKooDooKu. THANK YOU very much. I was looking for 10+ miles per day so TN hiker's suggestion may work. We ended up combining the last two stops of the last hike you suggested (16 miles) from Spence Field back to the Sinks without any issues, in fact, we finished pretty early that day. Thank you for the additional ideas @HooKooDooKu, I will certainly explore these options as well. Where is the Bone Valley side trail located? I am not seeing it on my map. Which map do you use? I have the W/E National Geographic maps of the park. We plan on going in mid September and again in the Spring. Many great options. I can't thank you enough.

TSWisla
08-01-2020, 11:38
I found the Bone Valley side trail, but I am still interested in which map you are using. Thank you.

TNhiker
08-01-2020, 12:32
the dollar map is the simplest, best map of the Park......doesnt show elevation but that's what the brown book is for.......use them in tandem....

TSWisla
08-01-2020, 19:54
I think that I found the brown book, but what is the dollar map?

TNhiker
08-01-2020, 20:08
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JULY19-4.pdf

its sold for a dollar at the visitors centers and is included with the purchase of a new brown book...

HooKooDooKu
08-01-2020, 22:30
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JULY19-4.pdf

its sold for a dollar at the visitors centers and is included with the purchase of a new brown book...
There is also a water resistant version available for $3 (thought the 1st time I went looking for one they were sold out).
I would recommend that you get the $3 version and carry that as your primary map for hiking the smokies. The intersections are well marks, so all you need is a copy of that map to keep yourself oriented.

My son carries the $3 map, and I carry a Nat Geo Waterproof Topo (thought I have seldom found a use for the Nat Geo while in the back country.

But for planning purposes, I use Google Earth, some GPS data I found online, and I've been enhancing that data ever since. For instance, the maps usually only tell you the distance between trial intersections. But what we has hikers of GSMNP need to know is how far away is the campsite. So I augmented the existing GPS data by adding a marker that lets me know what are the trail distances for ever 'segment' of a trail. In my case, a 'segment' starts/ends with any trail head, trail intersection, camp site, or major back country feature (like popular water falls). I've also plotted every road in the park that could possibly be used as part of a loop.

HooKooDooKu
08-01-2020, 22:35
...I was looking for 10+ miles per day so TN hiker's suggestion may work...
Sorry, I totally blew reading your desires. Obviously for some reason I was thinking 10 mpd was your max not your min.

So knowing that 10 miles is your min...

For me personally, TNhiker's suggestion would be a difficult 4 night hike for me, where as the 1st 4 night hike I ever did in GSMNP was the Bear Creek/Hazel Creek/Lakeshore loop I suggested.

So it sounds like if you ever want a long weekend in the park (i.e. two night hike) then the Cataloochee Lollipop, or the Forney Creek/Noland/AT loop would be good for you.

TNhiker
08-01-2020, 22:57
There is also a water resistant version available for $3 (thought the 1st time I went looking for one they were sold out).

i have a paper dollar map that i would always carry in my back pocket and was getting ripped along the folds....

so i took packing tape and put it along folds............then just eventually covered the whole map with packing tape....

and i still carry it in my back pocket..........

HooKooDooKu
08-02-2020, 00:27
i have a paper dollar map that i would always carry in my back pocket and was getting ripped along the folds....

so i took packing tape and put it along folds............then just eventually covered the whole map with packing tape....

and i still carry it in my back pocket..........
Given that a small roll of packing tape costs $2.98 (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Shipping-2-in-x-22-22-Yard-Clear-Packing-Tape/3077749), I'll opt for the extra 2¢ and skip the extra work. :)

TNhiker
08-02-2020, 00:36
Given that a small roll of packing tape costs $2.98 (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Shipping-2-in-x-22-22-Yard-Clear-Packing-Tape/3077749), I'll opt for the extra 2¢ and skip the extra work. :)

didnt cost me a thing other than 15 minutes if that....

my former employer paid for the tape....

and the time for me to tape it.....

and this was before the Park offered the laminated one.....

TSWisla
08-02-2020, 21:54
Please, you didn't blow anything. This is invaluable information and I sincerely appreciate it. I can't thank you enough. I ordered the "brown book".

Sorry, I totally blew reading your desires. Obviously for some reason I was thinking 10 mpd was your max not your min.

So knowing that 10 miles is your min...

For me personally, TNhiker's suggestion would be a difficult 4 night hike for me, where as the 1st 4 night hike I ever did in GSMNP was the Bear Creek/Hazel Creek/Lakeshore loop I suggested.

So it sounds like if you ever want a long weekend in the park (i.e. two night hike) then the Cataloochee Lollipop, or the Forney Creek/Noland/AT loop would be good for you.