PDA

View Full Version : ME Wind Farm proposal hearing

Tin Man
03-15-2006, 07:52
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Wind farm proposal likely set for hearing

By GLEN BOLDUC
Staff Writer

Copyright © 2006 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

AUGUSTA -- A public hearing on a proposed wind farm in the Redington Township will be set by the end of summer.

The hearing will follow a review period approved by the Land Use Regulation Commission -- the planning and zoning authority over many of Maine's rural and wilderness areas -- and will likely be held in a town near the proposed construction sites for 30 wind-energy turbines.

Commission members voted Monday to approve the organization of a hearing during their monthly meeting at the Ground Round in Augusta.

The $130 million project was proposed last fall by Maine Mountain Power, a joint venture of Endless Energy Corp. of Yarmouth and California-based Edison Mission Group.

The review period will give opponents and proponents time to gather information on the project, and build a case for the upcoming hearing.

An attorney for the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, an organization that is questioning the proposal, said the club would like time to review the proposed site, which sits along the 3,900-foot-high ridgeline between Redington Pond Range and the Black Nubble Mountains. They hope to tour the site when the snow melts in May or early June.

If approved, 12 slender, 256-foot-tall, tubular towers supporting turbines would sit on Redington; 18 would stand along the Black Nubble Mountains.

The wind farm would be built in one construction season and include dirt access roads, a maintenance building in Redington Township, utility lines, and three substations: in Redington and Wyman townships and Coplin Plantation.

The turbines, powered by 150-foot-long blades, would produce enough electricity to power 44,000 Maine homes, according to proponents.

Opponents say the turbines -- which would be visible from the Sugarloaf ski area and parts of the Appalachian Trail -- do not produce enough power to outweigh obstruction of scenic views.

Though no wind farm project has begun construction in Maine, several are in the works.

Founded in 1987, Endless Energy operates one wind turbine in Orland.

The Yarmouth company has owned the Redington Pond Range parcel since 1998, and the Black Nubble mountain parcel for about two years.

Glen Bolduc -- 623-3811, Ext. 431

[email protected]
---

Follow this link (http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/2530755.shtml) and go to the end of the article for some interesting reader comments including from an employee.

Almost There
03-15-2006, 10:20
As an avid hiker, I cannot think of another sight I’d rather see from a trail, than a wind farm powering 44,000 Maine homes with zero toxic emissions or foreign fossil fuels – endlessly. Maybe it will mean I'll see one less toxic-emitting smokestack? Seems like a pretty fair tradeoff.:-?

How about unobstructed views...DUMBAZZ!!! BTW where are you going to see a toxic emitting smokestack in this area of Maine?!?

Oh yeah, and conveniently leave out all the roads and powerlines that have to be constructed for this "pretty fair tradeoff".

All I know is if this carcamping, "avid" dayhiker really believes this then I would like him to share a little of what he is smoking!:confused:

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2006, 10:34
Wow... the Endless Energy guy says I'm a hypocrite for opposing Reddington - and that he "as an avid hiker, I cannot think of another sight I’d rather see from a trail, than a wind farm,"

Wow...

Almost There
03-15-2006, 10:35
Yeah, Teej, I think you and I can definitely agree on this one!!!

DavidNH
03-15-2006, 10:38
It is really distressing to me how folks who hike and claim to love the environment and the beauty of nature have no qualms about destroying beautiful views just so folks can run their appliances.

This wind Farm has gotta be stopped!!!

DavidNH

mdionne
03-15-2006, 11:18
where did you pull that quote from? he/she is not in the members list and something tells me his name is a little revealing. troll or no troll. what do you think? :rolleyes:

vipahman
03-15-2006, 11:23
It is really distressing to me how folks who hike and claim to love the environment and the beauty of nature have no qualms about destroying beautiful views just so folks can run their appliances.

This wind Farm has gotta be stopped!!!
Folks are going to try to run their appliances anyway. Power needs will always increase. Wind energy is more eco-friendly than nuclear or fossil-fuel based plants. And while power lines will still be needed to transport the electricity, a wind farm actually looks attractive. I've seen them and there's something serene about how the windmill blades turn slowly. But go ahead and flame me.

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2006, 11:34
Folks are going to try to run their appliances anyway.
So let's put the windmills closer to the people. Line the Turnpike's median strip, picket them right up Route 1, top the buildings in Portland, Bangor, and Augusta, and lets set up one in the parking lot at Endless Energy.

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2006, 11:40
Follow this link (http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/2530755.shtml) and go to the end of the article for some interesting reader comments including from an employee.

Odd... I just went back to see if my comment had been posted - and now this appears:
"Reader Comments
What do you think of the proposed wind farm?

There are not yet any reader comments."

The comments from Steve Clark and the EE person are gone!:-?

mdionne
03-15-2006, 12:00
So let's put the windmills closer to the people. Line the Turnpike's median strip, picket them right up Route 1, top the buildings in Portland, Bangor, and Augusta, and lets set up one in the parking lot at Endless Energy.

Agreed TJ...^5:D

Almost there...did you make up that quote? I can't find it anywhere.:o

weary
03-15-2006, 14:14
Folks are going to try to run their appliances anyway. Power needs will always increase. Wind energy is more eco-friendly than nuclear or fossil-fuel based plants. And while power lines will still be needed to transport the electricity, a wind farm actually looks attractive. I've seen them and there's something serene about how the windmill blades turn slowly. But go ahead and flame me.
I also think wind turbines are beautiful in the right places. But this area is among the wildest and most remote of the entire 2,175-mile trail. I don't think it's either wise or necessary to damage the few remaining wild places in order to power our appliances.

If this project is built, the views from the Saddleback-Crocker section of the trail will change from being one of the wildest on the Appalachian TRail to one of the most developed on the Appalachian Trail.

Weary

Almost There
03-15-2006, 14:43
Agreed TJ...^5:D

Almost there...did you make up that quote? I can't find it anywhere.:o

No it was from the Endless Energy employee who commented on the News website. Based upon his comments I decided as self anointed King of the Section Hikers to knight him as a Moosecock of the First Order!!!:D

DavidNH
03-15-2006, 15:18

Hey you are on to something here. I could go for this.. windmills in areas that are already ruined.. like oh the middle of any big city... if we HAD to have them somewhere. Keep them the hell out of our wildlands. We aren't talking some leggo mini towers. We are talking something hundreds of feet tall and wide and is seen for miles around. They aren't beautiful. Mountains are beautiful, trees are beautiful. Some big tower errected on a hillside is NOT beautiful. It is an eyesore.

It is not windpower or nothing..it is wind power or something else..something less intrusive.

I repeat..keep these god awful things the hell out of our wildlands..and double ditto on cellular towers.

No one is going to change my mind on this. When it comes to the wildlands and wilderness areas of America..that is where I draw my line in the sand. Is nothing sacred anymore? Wilderness is the one issue where I will vote, and sign petitions..do what ever it takes to protect! Imagine ..that ridge in Reddigton, ME.. covered with a series of giant towers.. seen from miles and miles on the AT in both directions...UGH.... and as for the White Mountain National Forest.. don't even get me started. Some of the finest public lands in the east here and they are as much mine as yours!!

DavidNH

vipahman
03-15-2006, 16:47
DavidNH, I agree that anything that's not natural should not be in the wilderness areas of America. And that means cellphone towers, windmills, power plants, etc. Well I also hate the shelters, power lines and roads across the AT too. But the reality of a thin 2175 mile corridor along the Appalachians means that many of the above will indeed cross it or exist in close proximity. And if that is a power plant, then the wind variety is my preferred choice.

Of course, all my statements assume that a powerplant is required to service the region. If it is, I sure hope that it's not the nuclear or fossil fuel type. Because while you are trying to protect a "view" from the AT, I'm trying to protect the environment and hence the AT.

weary
03-15-2006, 18:40
....while you are trying to protect a "view" from the AT, I'm trying to protect the environment and hence the AT.
Me to! As Henry Thoreau discovered in a lifetime of wandering the hills and woods of New England, "In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Weary

Almost There
03-15-2006, 19:12
Weary correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Maine export energy to the region? In other words wouldn't this windfarm be energy, in essence, for export to surrounding states.

Tin Man
04-08-2006, 08:13
Apparently, there are many buyers lining up to buy power from the proposed wind farm...

"REDINGTON TOWNSHIP -- Schools, hospitals, and colleges in western Maine will be the first in line to buy electricity from a Franklin County wind farm under a new deal struck with the state's leading electrical retail supplier.

Maine Mountain Power, a division of the Yarmouth-based Endless Energy, announced this week that Constellation NewEnergy will buy all the energy generated over the next 10 years from its proposed 90-megawatt wind farm in Redington Township north of Sugarloaf ski area."

And apparently, it has a lot of support...

"In a 2003 survey designed by Endless Energy with the help of the Appalachian Mountain Club and the Appalachian Trail Conference, over three-quarters of snowmobilers, hikers, skiers and locals indicated they were supportive or neutral regarding the project."

Click here (http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/2614043.shtml) for full story.

wilderness bob
04-08-2006, 08:57
Great post. It touches an important issue,
Windmills are not the only answer to the real problem, we need to go even further. Solar energy needs to be added to the formula as well as the use of water power. Collectively, the need to reduce and eliminate our dependency on destructive ways to produce electricity is the real issue. Two wrongs do not make a right though. I agree with placing these items in the right area (down the middle of an interstate is a great one, solar fields can be placed there as well). Why destroy when you are trying to improve. Try to keep the wilderness wild, unfortunately there isn't much of it left now.

shades of blue
04-08-2006, 09:15
I am not for putting the windmills in the area indicated...but think about this. Putting energy plants (windmills, solar) in the middle of a highway would lead to vandalism of the units. Maybe off away from the road, with protected fencing...that would be good. Also, you would have to look at windcurrents to see if those other places would be applicable. I think we can do both...use renewable resources and protect the view in the wild places of Maine and other places. Some places are already ruined...see lots of VA and other states. The views are still pretty cool, but you know civilization is right there...with the highways, homes and industries. We can't change those places, and it still has it's own beauty...however I'm with Weary on this one. Maine is one of the wildest places on the East coast and it should stay that way. Maybe the land the energy co. wants to use could be bought and they could buy another parcel in a more developed area.