PDA

View Full Version : Baxter delays 2020 season until at least July 1st.

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2020, 19:08
From the Park Director:
Baxter delays 2020 season until at least July 1st.

Water Rat
04-14-2020, 19:17
A very wise decision. Maine is nowhere near "peak" for this virus.

D2maine
04-14-2020, 19:38
welp there goes my weekend at Daicy. kinda was holding out a slim hope we could still go.:(

Christoph
04-14-2020, 23:46
Seems a bit far off. That's like another month and a half out. I know Maine absolutely hates the "thru hiker" but this is ridiculous.

peakbagger
04-15-2020, 05:24
Seems a bit far off. That's like another month and a half out. I know Maine absolutely hates the "thru hiker" but this is ridiculous.

Kind of a broad baseless statement that shows your ignorance. I guess you are one of the minority that thinks you are "special".

Maine has a pretty deep snowpack this year so it was probably going to be a late opening.

HankIV
04-15-2020, 06:25
It is actually “like” 2.5 months out. It does seem a ways out. I doubt there is any hatred involved, nor given the authorities consulted, any meteorology.

ScottTrip
04-15-2020, 07:30
Not sure about Maine ie. Baxter SP hating Thru Hikers. The rangers and staff were very nice and helpful when I arrived. Allowed me to store my gear in their office so I only had to take needed supplies to summit.

Water Rat
04-15-2020, 10:55
BSP did not make this decision with any one group in mind. It is all about doing their part to help discourage the spread of the virus. Baxter is located in the middle of Maine. Many people come from out of state to head to the park, stopping along the way for food, groceries, lodging, etc. This furthers the spread of the virus. Many people from out of state are already bringing the virus to Maine with them. Yes, it was already here. But, tourists are causing waves of the virus to breakout. Each new wave resets the clock toward Maine reaching peak.

In addition, there are no bathrooms in the park. There are outhouses, but no places for people to wash their hands. When people don't wash their hands, they help to spread the virus. The door handles to the outhouses are the perfect way to transfer the virus to the next host. Social distancing is also a problem on sections of the trails.

Baxter is simply doing their part to not encourage tourists to Maine at this time. It's nothing personal, Baxter just wants to do their part to ensure their guests have as safe a visit as possible.

TJ aka Teej
04-15-2020, 13:35
I know Maine absolutely hates the "thru hiker" but this is ridiculous.
Someone lied to you.

rustmd
04-15-2020, 17:26
Just made camping reservations for August. BSP staff super helpful.
.com

Alligator
04-15-2020, 22:14
Please keep hiking related Covid-19 posts to one of these two threads:
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/136249-How-will-coronavirus-affect-hiking-this-year
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/136383-quot-The-Ethics-of-Thru-Hiking-During-the-COVID-19-Pandemic-quot

Thanks.