PDA

View Full Version : Good tasting Vegitarian foods.

Almost There
03-15-2006, 11:27
As my wife and I try to get healthier we thought we might explore an option to try some meat alternative foods. We try this every couple of years but inevitably go back to being the carnivores that we are. Tried SmartDogs last night and although i managed to choke down one...she managed one bite and was done. Here's the thing everyone always claims, "they taste the same you won't notice the difference...but they don't taste the same. For some reason the manufacturer feels the need to add a grill flavor to the hot dogs and burger...the burgers I actually like...she doesn't...but it also has to do with the texture while eating, it almost feels like I am eating something that hell hath spewed forth.

So is there anything out there that we might try as a supplement to our diet? Now I'm pretty open minded but please don't tell me I won't know the difference if I will...or if you haven't eaten meat in the last decade. Just be honest, would love to get more healthy, but as a rule of thumb what I am eating can't engage my gag reflex as I swallow it.

KirkMcquest
03-15-2006, 11:54
Eating veg. does not necessarily translate to healthier diet. Did you know that children brought up without meat are smaller, and less mentally developed? Herbivors ( those naturally designed to eat only veg) ALL have a working appentix which helps them process the nutrients they need from vegies. Humans do not have a working appendix ( though the fact that we have one suggests some earlier herbivorous ancestry), which is pretty clear evidence that humans are now meant to eat meat. Our teeth, are clearly those of the omnivor, which is further proof.

While its true that most of us consume WAY to much meat than is healthy, I think cutting it out altogether is total overkill, and ultimately unhealthy.

Almost There
03-15-2006, 12:14
I agree Kirk, that is why I said supplement, besides hamburgers and hot dogs aren't good for you no matter what. Just looking for a little healthier variety, and many Vegis aren't healthy because they live off of snack foods etc. rather than researching what is good. Sorry but I'll never eliminate meat completely....that would be UnAmerican!!!

MOWGLI
03-15-2006, 12:17
Eating veg. does not necessarily translate to healthier diet. Did you know that children brought up without meat are smaller, and less mentally developed?

That's a broad statement that is not necessarily true. My daughter has never eaten red meat in her life, has only (very) occasionally eaten fish & poultry, and has been in the 99th percentile for growth and weight (proportionate) her entire life. She is also an honor student. In fact, she's scary smart. At 15, she could definitely teach you a thing or two about spelling and sentence structure. ;)

KirkMcquest
03-15-2006, 12:23
In this case, you ( or your wife) must have paid alot of attention to her nutrition, or does she eat dairy ( eggs, milk cheese)? These things can substitute for meat. I there is a name for the condtion of underdeveloped children.

And although I rush through these posts and my spelling isn't perfect, I believe my sentence structure is excellent.

MOWGLI
03-15-2006, 12:26
I there is a name for the condtion of underdeveloped children.

I believe my sentence structure is excellent.

I rest my case.

Seriously, she has had other sources of protein including dairy. Plus, with my intellectual prowess.... :eek: How could she be anything but brilliant? :-?

KirkMcquest
03-15-2006, 12:29
Plus, with my intellectual prowess.... :eek: How could she be anything but brilliant? :-?

The poor girl must take after her ma. Let's just pray:rolleyes:

Alligator
03-15-2006, 12:30
Almost There, you might as well scrap this thread. If you are seriously interested in this information, try starting out on a better foot next time.

gsingjane
03-15-2006, 12:40
Almost There, passing ALL of the above, I'd suggest the following. Make it an initial aim to eliminate meat at one dinner per week. Stick with that for some time - at least a few months - and then see if you'd like to go on from there.

Here are some healthy, good-tasting alternatives to meat-based meals:

* bean, split pea, mushroom/barley soup with a good bread and a salad;
* omelets made with interesting fillings - goat cheese, roasted peppers;
* any kind of veggie Mexican - e.g. tacos or burritos with beans & rice, cheese and greens;
* a big green chef-type salad with a couple different kinds of cheese, olives, pickled vegetables;
* pasta dishes with veggies and cheese. Tonight we're having ziti with fresh mushrooms, spinach and Parmesan;
* rice or quinoa pilaf.

If you would like to try some delicious (and definitely not "hair shirt" type) vegetarian recipes, check out Molly Katzen's books. I love Still Life With Menu and any of the Moosewood Collective books are great, too. I would save the tofu, tempeh, seitan and other more exotic type foods for when you are more used to veg cooking and eating... and yuck, I wouldn't touch Not Dogs with a barge pole! The biggest issue most folks have with going veg is that they feel there should be something on the plate to replace the "main event" of poultry or meat. But, you can put 2-3 dishes together that will definitely be satisfying and you will not feel deprived.

HTH,

Jane in CT

Mags
03-15-2006, 12:55
Look into various ethnic cusine. Lots of ethnic food has an emphasis on vegtables and carbs. Most ethnic food are "peasant dishes" (as my grandmother would say), meat is a commodity that poorer people couldn't afford. What started off as a poor person's dish is invariably delicious (and wil cost you $$$$ for something in an "authentic ethnic restaurant"!) and can be comfort food if you grew up with it.

Indian and Himalayan food is a great choice for food that is both delicious and has awesome veggie choices. Lots of cookbooks to get you started.

Growing up, I had many dishes that were southern Italian in nature. Lots of the dishes were non-meat. I did not think of it as vegiterean though, just Grandma's awesome cooking. If you think Italian food is meatballs and macaroni, you'd be surprised. (Do a google search for "pasta fagioli" (pasta and beans) for example. 'Cept I knew it as "pasta fazoo" in dialect.).

If you eat fish, (but not poultry, pork or beef) you also add a good source of protein that can be very healthy, too.

Having said all that? I still love a good burger! :D

the goat
03-15-2006, 13:12
barilla makes a pasta called "barilla plus" that has protien, fiber and omega 3 fatty acids....i think it's new.....it tastes so much like regular pasta, you'll never know the difference.;)

http://www.barillaus.com/PLUS_information.aspx

Cookerhiker
03-15-2006, 13:31
I've got 2 good recent vegetarian cookbooks which I'll post for you once I get home. In addition to what's been suggested, try different grains - rice is a staple but also go for bulgur wheat, wheat berries, millet, whole-grain barley, couscous. One of the aforementioned books includes several multi-bean chili recipes that also include a grain within it.

And don't forget peanuts. I've posted this several times for a trail meal but you can do it at home also: grind dry roasted peanuts in a blender and make a sauce with water and/or skim milk and whatever flavorings you choose - onions, garlic, red & green peppers, herbs - and add to your grain dish.

Almost There
03-15-2006, 13:42
See Alligator...people got back on track, and yes I was serious..just in my own sarcastic, pain in the azz way. Thank you people!

Alligator
03-15-2006, 14:17
See Alligator...people got back on track, and yes I was serious..just in my own sarcastic, pain in the azz way. Thank you people!
Speaking of cooking, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar:sun .

BooBoo
03-15-2006, 14:20
So vegetarian diet cause small size? My brother Yogi didn't eat meat until 15-16 y/o. Yogi is 6"2 and weighs 260 lbs. Cutter(SOBO 00-01) is a vegetarian and was allready 6"8 at the young age of 18 y/o.

As for meat substitutes try Morningstar farm products or Boca Burgers.Yum!

Numerous studies have proven the advantages of a vegetarian diet.

Almost There
03-15-2006, 14:39
Boca Burgers are actually pretty good.

BTW Alligator I was attacking specific people in my past who claimed....ohhh you'll like this or you'll like that it tastes just like...(insert meaty food)...and yet it came nowhere tasting although it did look similiar.

Truth be told...the healthiest diet is one where you limit intake of meat to lean meats with occasional red meat...and eat primarily vegis and fruit. This is my plan as I know red meat will become almost a no-no for me within the next few years.

Alligator, btw honey works better than vinegar?...tell that to the feral goats!!!:D

MOWGLI
03-15-2006, 14:49
Speaking of cooking, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar:sun .

Alligator: Occasional purveyor of fine vinegar since May 2, 2003 ;)

Alligator
03-15-2006, 14:51
Alligator: Occasional purveyor of fine vinegar since May 2, 2003 ;)
Young man, do as I say not as I do:D .

I know better than to start a thread. Half the people here won't even see it:eek: .

SideWedge
03-15-2006, 15:10
I agree with gsingjane...definitely check out the Moosewood cookbooks. My favorite is "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" (even though I'm not a huge fan of broccoli)...there are lots of recipes for cooking various grains and beans. Think creatively...most people think vegetarian=boring, which is NOT the case. You can use your favorite sauces/marinades on tofu and seitan instead of on meat, plus you can cook those products in a million different ways (barbequed tofu...yummm). Try the Morningstar Chik' patties & nuggets, I'm a huge fan of them when I'm on the run, and there's something like only 150 calories in each!

Also, I've never eaten red meat in my life and became a vegetarian when I was in 6th grade....now I'm in university and doing fine (at least, I hope so). As long as you watch what you eat, vegetarians can lead normal and extremely healthy lives.

Doctari
03-15-2006, 15:25
Try these:

Breakfast
Porridge: Serves 4.
Instructions: Stir together in top half of a double boiler: 4¼ cup water, 1¾ cup rolled oats, ¾ cup dry milk, 1 Tbs. margarine, ½ tsp. ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. ground allspice, ¼ tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Place pot over several inches of water in the bottom half of double boiler & simmer for at least 1½ hrs. Dry & double Zip Lock.
In camp: Add water & bring to boil, stir. Rehydrate some dry milk & add to porridge. This is not the instant stuff you buy in the grocery, although it does cook nearly as fast on the trail.

Lunch

Citadel Spread. A high calorie food that can be a quick snack in it’s self or put on a bagel or Logan bread for a full sit down lunch. This is the recipe that Ed Garvey gives:
Ingredients: 18 oz. jar Creamy Peanut Butter, 2-4 oz. Bacon Grease (residue from 6 to 8 slices), ½ cup honey, 2-4 cups granular powdered milk.
Instructions: Add Bacon Grease & milk to the peanut butter & stir until mix gets crunchy. Put in pint plastic freezer containers. It will keep in refrigerator indefinitely; it keeps for at least three weeks un-refrigerated. This from p.51 of Ed's book: Appalachian Hiker II. This can also be made on the trail if you can find bacon grease. The peanut butter, honey & powdered milk are usually available at many of the re-supply points.

G.O.R.P. (Good Old Raisins & Peanuts)
Ingredients: 2 cup each: dry roasted peanuts, raisins, M & M minis. 1 cup ea: cashew pieces, Reese’s pieces, & (smoked) almonds. ½ cup shelled sunflower seeds. 1 medium package of Planters hot peanuts.
That is the recipe for the GORP I made my last AT trip. I make GORP different each & every time I make it. I often put in raisins & peanuts, but everything else can & does change. I usually put in whatever is: easily available, cheap, & something I personally enjoy. I use planters Hot Peanuts, & add about a tsp. of cayenne pepper for just that touch of zip! Give pepitas (roasted / shelled / salted pumpkin seeds) a try for a different crunch. Your favorite GORP can be made on trail just buy the separate ingredients & mix.
Note: Avoid adding a lot of dried fruit as most fruit still has quite a bit of moisture in it & that may spoil your nut mix. If you really want fruit in your GORP, carry it in a separate bag & add when you are ready to eat, even raisins if storing for a long time.

Logan bread:
My first encounter with Logan Bread, was on a AT section hike, on my 6th day out, I still had about 5 miles to go before camp at cold water spring shelter, & I was “out of gas”, I had a granola bar but it did not help. Some of my new friends came along & decided to have a snack with me, they offered a 2” x 2” x 3” or so chunk of this wonderful bread, within minutes I was ready for the trail, & still had plenty of energy left at the end of the day. Here is the recipe they gave me:
Ingredients: 4 cups water, 16 cups whole wheat flour, 1½ cup melted shortening, 1½ cup honey, 1½ cup sugar, 2 cups black strap molasses, 1½ cup whole dry milk, 1 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. baking powder.
Instructions: Add all ingredients to water, mix thoroughly. Put into muffin tins, bake at 300º for 1 hr. Makes about 60, muffin sized bricks. Variations; add 1 cup applesauce & 1 heaping tsp. ground nutmeg, and/or, 1 cup each; chopped dried fruit & nuts.
In camp or on the trail: eat as is or topped with peanut butter. Or Slice & warm slightly on your fry pan & drizzle a bit of squeeze Parkayâ or honey (or both) on top & Oh Momma!!!.

Barley & shiitake stew: Serves 2;
Ingredients: 2 Tbs. olive oil, 2/3 cup sliced shallots, ¼ LB. white mushrooms, ¼ Lb shiitake mushrooms sliced, 1 tsp. tamari or 1½ tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger, 1 cup pearl barley, 14.5 Oz. can vegetable broth, 1 Tbs. chopped parsley.
Instructions: In medium stew pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add: shallots, & mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots start to brown. Remove to a small bowl. Add: tamari, ginger, barley, broth & 3.5 cups water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-low, cover, & cook for 20 min. Stir in mushroom-shallot mix & cook, covered, until the barley is tender. Add parsley. Dry & double zip lock.
In camp: Add water & bring to boil, stir.

Beans Puttanesca on polenta: Serves 4;
Ingredients:
28 Oz can crushed tomatoes, 1 Tbs. drained capers, 12 Greek black olives pitted & chopped, ½ tsp. crushed hot red pepper, 14.5 Oz. can black beans rinsed & drained, 1½ cup cornmeal, ¾ tsp. salt, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, 2 Tbs. chopped parsley. Small Zip Lock of shredded cheddar. 1½ Tbs. Squeeze Parkay.
Instructions: In a medium pot, combine: tomatoes, capers, olives, hot pepper, & beans. Cook over medium heat for 8 min. stirring occasionally. Dry & double zip lock. Mix remaining dry Ingredients & double zip lock. In camp: Rehydrate tomato/bean sauce with hot water in zip lock. Add water, cornmeal, Parmesan, & salt to cook pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low & cook, stirring frequently with a spoon, until the cornmeal starts to pull away from sides of the pot, about 15 min. Stir in Parkay. Top with reconstituted beans & cheddar.

I make these almost every supper; probably the only time I don’t make them when hiking is when I run out of fixings.
Chapattis: Makes 4 - 6, 4” round cakes.
Ingredients: 2 cups fine flour, 1-tsp. salt, pepper to taste. (Mix flour & salt & double zip lock)
On the trail: Gradually mix enough water into zip lock (or in a small bowl as I do), to make a soft dough (About like a piecrust). Knead it well, [optional, this makes handling easier: Set aside for 1 hr. then Knead again.] Divide into small bits & flatten into very thin rounds (1/8 inch thick). Grease pan with a little oil. Heat pan very hot. Cook rounds 15 - 20 seconds on each side until brown spots appear. DON’T OVER COOK!
Hints: PLEASE, please, please, practice this at home, several times before you hit the trail! I use Golden temple brand flour as it is specially made for Chapattis, it is available at ethnic food stores (Indian), but almost any wheat flour will do. You can mix ½ cup rice flour for a different flavor & texture (a little gritty but tasty). The oil I use has about a Tbs. of dried Garlic buds in 5 Oz oil, this adds that special touch. If you like the taste, try ½ cup rye flour or even corn meal. When I roll out the chapattis I use my LexanÒ water bottle, with a little oil on it as a rolling pin. As a rolling surface I have a small piece of hard plastic cut to the size of my fry pan, you can use a 2 or 3 Lb coffee can lid cut to size.
Serving suggestions: Brush with a little olive oil & eat as is, peanut butter on a hot chapatti is great, let cool or not & make a sandwich, honey & chapattis for breakfast, etc.

They are from a cook book I am working on writing. Hope this helps.

Doctari.

Alligator
03-15-2006, 15:49
Doctari-Some of these look interesting, but the bacon grease ingredient leads me to believe that you posted this in the wrong thread. Also, AT appeared to be looking for some at home foods.

Almost There
03-15-2006, 15:51
Thanks Doctari....I like the Logan Bread recipe for hiking!!!

Moxie00
03-15-2006, 17:08
This is true but rotten fish work best,

Moxie00
03-15-2006, 17:31
My wife is a vegitarian, very healthy, very inyellegent so it works. I do eat meat but find it much more convienent to keep a vegitarian diet while backpacking. Some excellent cook books are mentioned in earlier posts. If you marinate tofu or tempeh with a Thai peanut sauce or even a Bar B Q sauce it is excellent stir fried with vagtables. There is a soy "pizza burger" that is very flavorful whan served with spaghetti and a red sauce. If your wife doesn't care for veggie burgers try serving them with lettuce, tomato, onion and a wasabi sauce. I make a first class quiche with swiss cheese and fiddleheads but any green vegtable will work. Soy hot dogs suck-no better way to put it. New England style vegitarian baked beans are excellent, If you are careful to eat a balanced diet vegitarian food is excellent and excellent for you. By the way, whwn my wife took an three month backpacking trip to New Zealand without me the butcher at the meat counter got to know me by my first name, I love rare steak but find I am quite healthy without it most of the time.

Alligator
03-15-2006, 17:56
This is true but rotten fish work best,
I guess if you are including crustaceons. Something about rotting lobster seems to brings out the flies in hordes.

the goat
03-15-2006, 18:12
I guess if you are including crustaceons. Something about rotting lobster seems to brings out the flies in hordes.

that's hilarious:D

saimyoji
03-15-2006, 18:19
Perhaps dehydrating some healthier meats before you set out would be a good idea, have them sent to you. Try making some jerky.

Healthier meats than hotdogs/hamburgers: lean pork, venison (maybe you could pause for a quick hunt, share the meat with other hikers?, nah..) fish (thought this may not dehydrate or jerk well)... any others?? Moose? Veal? (I can just picture it: I walk up to the shelter in the afternoon, and there you are whipping up some veal parmigiana.) :p

I know some people buy into the processed soy products are bad for you, and thats okay if you don't want to eat it. I think soy products are okay, and highly recommend tofu: can be added to anything for lots of protein and other nutrients, and has not taste (unless you are a connosoor-how's that for spelling?)...it will add volume and nutrition to any meal. I hear it dehydrates quite well, though I've no experience in dehydrating.

Skidsteer
03-15-2006, 18:37
Tried SmartDogs last night and although i managed to choke down one...she managed one bite and was done. Here's the thing everyone always claims, "they taste the same you won't notice the difference...but they don't taste the same.
Now I'm pretty open minded but please don't tell me I won't know the difference if I will...

I know what you mean. Years ago my wife bought a package of "Healthy Choice" hot dogs. Mass rebellion ensued( in which she heartily participated after one bite )so she gave one to the dog. He gingerly took it in his mouth, promptly went outside and buried it.

Who knows? A thousand years from now an archaeologist may discover it and claim it's a moosec**k. :D

Doctari
03-15-2006, 19:04
Doctari-Some of these look interesting, but the bacon grease ingredient leads me to believe that you posted this in the wrong thread. Also, AT appeared to be looking for some at home foods.

AARRRG! I forgot to put in, "can substitute Olive oil, not as firm as bacon grease, but if you use a bit more dry milk (& perhaps less oil) it should work out." Sorry, I missed that.

And, I suppose dried milk isn't exactly vegitarian, but, , , ,

Doctari.

Alligator
03-15-2006, 19:06
This thread has reminded me of the scene from the Great Outdoors, where the raccoons are eating the lobster tails, and the one raccoon says to the other...

Almost There
03-15-2006, 19:06
Skidsteer....now THAT is funny!!!

Skidsteer
03-15-2006, 19:12
Skidsteer....now THAT is funny!!!

My conscience got the better of me and I edited it slightly in case Alligator's two-year old is on line tonight. And so Attroll doesn't hunt me down.:D

MOWGLI
03-15-2006, 19:14
This thread has reminded me of the scene from the Great Outdoors, where the raccoons are eating the lobster tails, and the one raccoon says to the other...

...this is the best piece of tail I've had in months. :D

ed bell
03-15-2006, 19:28
My wife is a vegitarian, and I still eat meat on a regular basis. Often, I will go veg for meals and I love Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burgurs. I am going to try the new Mushroom lovers burger so I'll let you know about that one as well. My wife does not care for veg food that tries to mimic meat taste,and I have to agree with her on that. Something creepy about "grill flavor".:sun

jackiebolen
03-15-2006, 19:59
Ditto with the Moosewood Cookbooks. The new one, "Simple suppers" or something along those lines is excellent. I've cooked probably half the recipes in it and only one has dissapointed me.

Being a healthy vegetarian is not just simply about finding meat substitutes. You can actually branch out into the world of tofu and beans. Shocking, yes but many culinary adventures to be found.

MOWGLI
03-15-2006, 20:00
Ditto with the Moosewood Cookbooks. The new one, "Simple suppers" or something along those lines is excellent. I've cooked probably half the recipes in it and only one has dissapointed me.

Being a healthy vegetarian is not just simply about finding meat substitutes. You can actually branch out into the world of tofu and beans. Shocking, yes but many culinary adventures to be found.

Too bad Ithaca, NY (http://www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/)isn't on the AT. What a great trail town that would be!

Alligator
03-15-2006, 23:22
...this is the best piece of tail I've had in months. :D
I don't remember it like that. If I remember correctly, he said, "This lobster tastes like moosecock."

Heater
03-16-2006, 01:04
So vegetarian diet cause small size? My brother Yogi didn't eat meat until 15-16 y/o. Yogi is 6"2 and weighs 260 lbs. Cutter(SOBO 00-01) is a vegetarian and was allready 6"8 at the young age of 18 y/o.

As for meat substitutes try Morningstar farm products or Boca Burgers.Yum!

I like the morningstar farms "Sizzlers". They are the best burgers IMO.

If you are a vegetarian, you really need to learn to cook vegetarian. There are so many good meals to be made that are not available commercially.

ed bell
03-16-2006, 02:21
If you are a vegetarian, you really need to learn to cook vegetarian. There are so many good meals to be made that are not available commercially.
Wise words.

2XL
03-16-2006, 09:20
I like the morningstar farms "Sizzlers". They are the best burgers IMO.

When I first started going vegetarian I was looking for the meat substitutes. I now cook more veggies and beans than eat meat analogs. I found plenty of Vegatarian cookbooks at the Library.
When I feel like eating a meat style food, I go with http://www.quorn.us/.
Their Quorn "hot dogs" are so much better than the others out there.

Rockjock
03-16-2006, 09:35
The Boca Chickn patties DO taste like the regular chicken variety. Probably because chicken patties are about as far away from real chicken as possible. I like them like a Cordon Blue sandwich or parmesagna style. You really can't tell the difference and I am a devout carnivore who ocassionaly tries new things.

Almost There
03-16-2006, 10:43
Have to retry some of the Boca products and this Quorn. Am willing to try just about any food once.

sarbar
03-16-2006, 21:00
Eating veg. does not necessarily translate to healthier diet. Did you know that children brought up without meat are smaller, and less mentally developed?
Oh pu-lease! I was a full vegan when I was pregant with my son..and he did not eat any meat till he was at elast 5 years of age. Even now, I watch his meat consumption. Dairy? Not veyr much. He grew up on soy. And lets see.....oh he is 4 ft 5" at barely 8 years old, and is stronger than all get out.
Lets see what he DOESN'T have...oh yes, he isn't obese!!

As for veggie meals...well, how about not trying to replicate meat. I never did buy into faux meat. It usually is pretty bad for you (high sodium, fake flavors, etc). Instead, just eat more legumes! While I do eat meat again now, I do not much of it...and what we eat is natural raised. We eat a lot of beans, lentils, whole grains, tons of veggies, fruits. Good balanced diet isn't hard to do :)
Last night I made a delicious 2 mushroom stew served over mashed red potatoes. Yum!

KirkMcquest
03-16-2006, 22:03
Oh pu-lease! I was a full vegan when I was pregant with my son..and he did not eat any meat till he was at elast 5 years of age. Even now, I watch his meat consumption. Dairy? Not veyr much. He grew up on soy. And lets see.....oh he is 4 ft 5" at barely 8 years old, and is stronger than all get out.
Lets see what he DOESN'T have...oh yes, he isn't obese!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, sarbar, but its not an opinion, its a scientific FACT. There is a name for this syndrome, if only I could think of it. Interestingly enough about your post, you admit that your son eats meat! Therefore, using him to prove your point is really not logical. Ask your son's doctor, and please, get some meat into that kid before he loses some IQ points!!:jump

Almost There
03-16-2006, 22:16
I am looking to mix up my diet. I had a friend who was very into holistics, vegetarian, etc. She was strongly advised to reintroduce meat into her diet. She did and it did do her body good. She didn't eat alot of it but for her it was necessary. Does this mean some can't be healthy without it...no. People are all different. Heck, and this is by no means an equal comparison, but some smoke a pack a day and live to be 95, while others are peak athletes who die of a heart attack at 45. I just want to minimize my risks and vary my diet. Most Americans can do with more vegis, etc. Just trying to find a happy medium....and many of you have given excellent ideas!!!

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 08:38
I am looking to mix up my diet. I had a friend who was very into holistics, vegetarian, etc. She was strongly advised to reintroduce meat into her diet. She did and it did do her body good.

Checkout the book - Eat Right for Your Type (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039914255X/104-6041059-2092718?v=glance&n=283155). It relates blood type to diet and is dead on accurate for my wife and me. Good stuff.

Almost There
03-17-2006, 09:18
You know what I think it was about her blood type now that you bring it up.

the goat
03-17-2006, 09:20
but some smoke a pack a day and live to be 95, while others are peak athletes who die of a heart attack at 45.

AT, did you start smoking again? hmmm, sounds like you're trying to justify something..:-? ....:D

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 09:21
You know what I think it was about her blood type now that you bring it up.

Sounds crazy, but it works. Blood type is a product of where your ancestors evolved. Get the book out of the library. Or buy it if (unlike me) you're plush.

onicoe
03-17-2006, 11:13
this girl is jumping into the conversation late. i guess i'm one of the few who, as a vegetarian, don't regularly eat the fake meat junk. personally, i think it kindof defeats the point & tastes like ick. I also think many people are put off of vegetarianism because they jump right to the fake stuff.

i will say that i like quorn products, but it's too expensive to buy on a regular basis. as far as supplementing your diet, variety counts! too many stick to the basic "stock" vegetables & fruit, and that's often what leads to deficiencies. there's so much to try out it's a shame not to experiment a little. tofu is great, once you learn a few tricks about cooking it. such as, always press and drain as much liquid as you can outta that stuff! another good idea is to try to up the amount of legumes that you eat. an easy way to remember about protein combining is whole grains + legumes = :)

i have tons of cookbooks too, so if you're interested in something i could prolly dig you up a recipe for it. & whatever you do don't break the durian fruit. ;p

sarbar
03-17-2006, 11:22
Sorry to burst your bubble, sarbar, but its not an opinion, its a scientific FACT. There is a name for this syndrome, if only I could think of it. Interestingly enough about your post, you admit that your son eats meat! Therefore, using him to prove your point is really not logical. Ask your son's doctor, and please, get some meat into that kid before he loses some IQ points!!:jump Uh-huh (rolling eyes) As I noted, my son did not start eating ANY meat till he was over 5..and somehow, just somehow he managed to be the tallest kid in his kinder class..lol!
At this point in second grade, he is reading about 2 grades above him. He has also backpacked 18 miles in 24 hours, so he isn't lacking in strength. We do not eat much meat on the trail either.
Your "theory" does NOT hold up..I have multiple friends who are veggies, and whose children were raised veggie or vegan.
Oh yeah, and my kids Dr? Fully approved of it! Why? You seen kids lately?? Half the kids in my sons school are obese or quite near it. My son actually wears slim pants!
Most likely you are trolling me, and I am falling for it......but I would hate to think of someone believing that being veggie is bad :(
To think I have "somehow" undernourished him.....
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Ford/Me-2.jpg

Cookerhiker
03-23-2006, 18:07
Sorry I'm late with this. Here are 2 excellent books:

The Best Vegetarian Recipes by Martha Rose Shulman

366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Bean, and Grains by Andrea Chesman. This book is not 100% vegetarian but many recipes are. As I type this, I have a pot simmering on the stove with a white bean soup recipe (vegetarian) from this cookbook.

betic4lyf
03-23-2006, 21:35
first, i would suggest that people leave their kids out of this, as that is an easy way for things to get personal, which isnt what this is about

second, i know many vegetarians, and i don't think it makes a diffrence, but i think as people push further, to macrobiotic, and things like that, you get quite unhealthy. i eat meat, but i think that fake meat defeats the point, as you are still supporting the status quo in eating meat, at least on the surface. and if one was vegetarian, a great source of calories, is olive oil. i<3 olive oil

weggers
03-24-2006, 00:39
Sorry to burst your bubble, sarbar, but its not an opinion, its a scientific FACT.

Have you ever noticed that people who feel the need to emphasize words that should be able to stand on their own do so because there is no substance behind their statements?

There is a name for this syndrome, if only I could think of it.

I think the word you are looking for is "malnutrition". A healthy vegetarian, one who works at preparing diverse foods and carefully watches his or her nutritional intake, is far from malnourished. Meat eaters are more likely to suffer from dietary imbalances than a practiced vegetarian. Meat eaters are simply lazier about what they eat.

To imply that vegetarians are mentally underdeveloped, with a low IQ, is perhaps indicative of the people with whom you associate. A lazy vegetarian that doesn't do his or her homework won't eat properly. Eliminating meat and replacing those calories with carbs just doesn't cut it, but it sure is the easiest route. It's also the quickest route to slow and erratic brain functions and fatigue. If these are the type of vegetarians to whom you have been exposed, I can see why you would believe it is a less than intelligent choice.

Vegetarians, as a segment of the population, actually have a high IQ range. I'm not claiming that a high IQ is a result of not eating meat, although a balanced diet helps on the intelligence points scale. Rather, those with high IQs tend to have more acute senses, and as a result are "enlightened". Ever heard of Ghandi? How about Sir Isaac Newton? Charles Darwin? Or maybe Socrates rings a bell?

Still not convinced that children can be healthy, intelligent, and vegetarian? Maybe you need to do a review of the available literature. Start with:

Messina VK, Burke KI. Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc 1997;97:1317-1321

Dwyer JT, Miller LG, Arduino NL, et al. Mental age and I.Q. of predominately vegetarian children. J Am Dietetic Assoc 1980;76:142-7

As for claiming that people were only designed to eat meat, I'd like to know what your qualifications are for making such a statement. The zoologist Desmond Morris, author of The Naked Ape has this to say: "It could be argued that, since our primate ancestors had to make do without a major meat component in their diets we should be able to do the same. We were driven to become flesh eaters only by environmental circumstances, and now that we have the environment under control, with elaborately cultivated crops at our disposal, we might be expected to return to our ancient primate feeding patterns."

Please perform a cursory examination of those around you. As a species, the morphology of our teeth varies greatly. Some of us have much pointier teeth than others. Just for fun, find some vegetarians who have successfully lived without meat for many years. Compare them to vegetarians who have reverted to eating meat. The differences in teeth structure might surprise you.

Just some good, vegetarian food for thought.

Tudor
03-24-2006, 02:27
I don't know if this has been posted, too many posts to read through to care, but Enertia Foods out of Dayton, OH are dehydrated, all natural, no preservative, foods that are mostly vegetarian, and the ones that 'are not' use Ham TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein). So, yeah, check 'em out and tell them I sent ya! :sun

sdoownek
03-24-2006, 20:08
Have you ever noticed that people who feel the need to emphasize words that should be able to stand on their own do so because there is no substance behind their statements?
(snip, see above)
Just some good, vegetarian food for thought.

Alaska girls kick ass.

Not just a clothing company anymore.
Alaska girls are hot.