PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Sombrero modification

OutbackHack
03-15-2006, 11:31
Just recently got one of these hats, like the way it looks and keeps the sun/rain off me pretty well. But, went out last weekend on the first warm day of the year and turns out it traps way too much heat, as I've come to find out other people have complained about.

The hat itself looks like it would stay fairly cool if it weren't lined with the fleece material. Has anyone tried removing the fleece-like liner material and replacing it with mesh or something? Before I attack it with a seam ripper I figured I'd see if anyone had any success trying something like this first.

Sir Isaac
03-15-2006, 14:03
No, I haven't, but sounds like a good idea. Let me know how it works for you.

ARambler
03-15-2006, 14:21
I had a long sleeve shirt (and the SS) on last weekend, but didn't consider cutting off the sleeves. I put on a short sleeve shirt. Last year, I bounced the extra long sleeve shirt and Seattle Sombrero when it turned warm for good. I'd be very glad to have them both today.

Are you thinking of a removable felt lining or are you going to invent a pair of Speedos with a 20 F temperature rating?
Rambler

khaynie
03-15-2006, 14:22
OR makes a deviaton of the Seattle Sombrero called the Sitka Sombrero. It's mesh lined and h2o proof - well water resistant. It's lighter and more compressible than the Seattle. Worked for me on my thru. C