PDA

View Full Version : 2 person tent

stickat04
02-17-2003, 17:43
Going to look at tents this weekend any good suggestions for a two person tent?

Happy
02-17-2003, 18:33
What type of useage are you looking for, weekend hikes, thru-hike, winter or mountain hikes and what price range, if any, do you want to stay in?

For AT use you can go from the $325 Nomad 2-4-2 to a $25 Texsport. Just depends on what you need or prefer in a tent.

I own and enjoy the Nomad Lite (1 person). I also own a $25 Texsport (2 person) that has been very dependable.

The Sierra Designs CD and Clip Flashlite( 2 person) have enjoyed tremendous popularity over the years....I sure some other members will make some fine suggestions!

:banana

Max
02-17-2003, 18:36
I have the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. I thru-hiked in 2001 and loved this tent. Never leaked once, easy to set up. It's sold as a two person but I'm not sure two people would be comfortable in it for an extended time.

Sparky!
02-17-2003, 19:09
The new Europa II JUST came out. I saw it at the PA Ruck this year and it was a NICE tent. As a matter of fact they just came out with the price... $250! and weighs 2 lbs and 1 ounce....

The website is www.sixmoondesigns.com I have to save up a few more pennies and I am going to get one. The only thing is that there is no full door closure, it is just bug mesh, and I am told that the design will keep out the water in heavy rains... There is also a vestibule attatchement that is coming out to it too.

Sparky!

Sparky!
02-17-2003, 19:12
Here is what the website said about it...

Cantilevered Front - Moving the front support pole away from the tent creates an angle that shelters the front door. This allows the screen door to remain open, even in heavy rain, without getting the interior of the tent wet. You can lie in the tent or cook dinner safe and sheltered from the rain.

Oversized Screen Door - The Europa II has an oversized screen door allowing you to lie, bug free, watching the world outside.

Sparky!

Footslogger
02-17-2003, 19:17
What's your budget Stick ...and how light to you want to go ?
Go to www.wanderlustgear.com and check out the 2-4-2

stickat04
02-17-2003, 19:41
Thanks for the info so far. The tent will be used for some weekend trips this summer and the AT in 2004. Looking to spend around 200$ and it will be for two people so we can split the weight up. I think some where around 6 lbs is the average for most two person tents.

bbinkley
02-17-2003, 19:59
I have the REi halfdome Plus 2. This is an awesome tent. I have no complaints at all. Has plenty of room, 2 vestibules.

rumbler
02-18-2003, 00:19
The original Europa is on close-out sale for $135. Pretty awesome price for those interested:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/europa.asp

sli74
02-18-2003, 10:51
For 2 people, I HIGHLY recommend the Sierra Designs Clip 3. It is an amazing tent and will fit 2 people and some gear comfortably.

Don
02-18-2003, 23:13
I agree with the Clip 3...check out the square footage on the tents you're considering... lightweight tents often have only 28 to 30 sguare feet of floorspace...this makes for very tight quarters for two average size people....and extremely tight quarters for two largish people...if you, or your hiking partner, are restless sleepers this will make for some very uncomfortable nights...the Clip 3 has 44 square feet and is competive wieghtwise... not the lightest tent around but, imho, a good tradeoff between weight and room..

MedicineMan
02-19-2003, 01:09
Rob a bank and get a Warmlite 2R! Just teasing but it would be nice to have one in the quiver.

SkyKing
02-23-2003, 15:59
I agree with Simva on the bank thingy....they cost big bucks but sure have my attention! Very light..even the 3R & 5R!
SIMVA....shame on you. Thought you were hard-core Hammock!??

http://www.warmlite.com/tents.htm#anchor11323

RagingHampster
02-23-2003, 17:20
Dancing Light Gear Tacoma for 2 with floor, and velcro door closures. Have them seam-seal it and buy some lightweight stakes.

http://www.trailquest.net/dlgctactent2.html

I use the Arapaho Solo.