PDA

View Full Version : Implications of May 1 start date?

jawilson20
03-15-2006, 13:30
If I am to thru hike in 2007 it would be until after my last date of college (approxmentally May 1).

How many folks start this late? I would be by myself so I am not planning on taking many zero days and hope to keep a pretty good pace.

I understand the average time to complete the trail is 5-6 months. I am sure people do it in less. How uncommon is it for someone to do it in around 4-5 months?

lobster
03-15-2006, 13:49
Not that common, maybe 10%. But they are not trying to do it in that short a period of time. You will be fine!

Big advantage, you are going to meet practically everybody that is attempting a 2007 thru either northbound or southbound.

Heat will be an issue, but longer days at the start.

Shelters won't be packed not that I consider that a huge issue.

BooBoo
03-15-2006, 14:07
Are you going NOBO or SOBO? If your're going SOBO you should have no problem. A May start would put you at Springer in early Nov.

ARambler
03-15-2006, 14:09
Mapman has posted statistics of successful thru hikers who kept Trailjournals:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12885

The odds of completing the AT in less than 150 days, 5 months, are 20 %. It will be a little higher for those who start in May, because nobody takes 6 months and brings up the average. So, the odds for sub-5 months is about the same as the odds of starters completing the trail. Obviously, that is pretty good odds for those of us who have been successful. Note, you have two difficult tasks.

Personally, I think you are on the borderline, but should definitely go for it unless you have problems with hot humid weather. For those starting May 15, I think it is much smarter to wait a couple of weeks and do a SOBO.
Rambler

Lobo
03-15-2006, 14:17
Remember that you do not have to begin your hike at Springer. By May 1st I was at Bears Den Hostel and I finished July 26th after a 5 month hike. Start somewhere in VA, summit Katahdin, return to VA an hike south.

alanthealan
03-15-2006, 14:47
Lots of May/late April folks last year. Sunny 70 degrees Oct six on the big K

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 15:17
but longer days at the start.

Most NOBO's in '07 will have longer days (woohoo!)... in 2005 GW signed the Energy Policy Act that changed the daylight saving time...

:sunon March 11, 2007, spring forward (instead of the usual April date) and fall back on November 4 (about a week later than the usual October date)

max patch
03-15-2006, 15:49
Most NOBO's in '07 will have longer days (woohoo!)... in 2005 GW signed the Energy Policy Act that changed the daylight saving time...

No, you won't.

Think about it a sec.

The Solemates
03-15-2006, 15:53
If I am to thru hike in 2007 it would be until after my last date of college (approxmentally May 1).

How many folks start this late? I would be by myself so I am not planning on taking many zero days and hope to keep a pretty good pace.

I understand the average time to complete the trail is 5-6 months. I am sure people do it in less. How uncommon is it for someone to do it in around 4-5 months?

if you want it, it will not be a problem.

we did our nobo in 5 months in the winter, and we werent even trying to go fast. i suspect we could do it in 4 months (without too much effort) if we started may 1. if you are the type who is going to make it all the way, then i wouldnt worry about a time frame. worry more about enduring being on the trail long enough to make it to katahdin. then the time will fall into place.

max patch
03-15-2006, 16:02

How many folks start this late?

I started 5/1 and finished 5 months and 1 week later.

If you find you are hiking at a slower pace that that you always have the option of flipping ahead.

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 16:14
No, you won't.

Think about it a sec.

Oh dear, having a blonde moment, i have thought and thought about it, still dont get it?!?!:eek::confused::(:D

weary
03-15-2006, 16:31
You will be starting at the peak of the southern Appalachian Spring. You'll walk through some of the prettiest country at it's peak season.

You'll also have a five and a half month window for making Katahdin -- plenty of time for a young and vigorous person; though a bit tight for old people. I left Amicalola State Park on April 13 and summitted Katahdin six months and three days later, though I didn't walk "every mile" as they say.

April 1-15 were common starting dates for thru hiking pioneers. Only recently have folks routinely started much earlier.

My advice is to just do it. I wouldn't flip flop. But if you are running behind as you reach New England skip a few miles and go back to pick them up after climbing Katahdin.

One problem with this advice is that everything after Katahdin is anticlimatic, I found. I fully expected to go back and pick up southern New England in November of 1993. It turned out not to be a priority at the time, so I waited a couple of years before doing so.

Weary

A-Train
03-15-2006, 16:57
Go for it! Hiking the trail in 5 months is not difficult at all. I did it in exactly 5 months including 17 days off for various town zeros and my brothers wedding. This wasn't a rushed schedule and I started march 1, where 2 snow storms slowed me a bit. As mentioned, you'll have long days off the bat and nicer weather on your side.

A few easy tips to staying on a 5 month pace are: stay consistent (I tried to keep 15 miles my minimum once I hit Damascus), limit days off, limit partying, and stay focused at what you're doing. Starting the trail in shape will help you as well and you may be able to "pick up" days off your schedule right off the bat. Going with a light pack will also work to your benefit.

Good luck, you can do it!

soad
03-15-2006, 17:22
No, you won't.

Think about it a sec.

Come on...really...everyone knows a presidential proclamation slows the rotation of the earth, thus more light.:sun

Seriously, you only get a few more minutes of daylight each day in the spring, regarless of what the clock says. Later starting times, later finishes, each day after the clocks change.

Cuffs
03-15-2006, 17:44
I dont think about it that way... I see that currently the sun (in my area) sets around 6pm. If this was 2007, it would be setting around 7pm. To me (a blonde) thats an extra hour of hiking!!

Lilred
03-15-2006, 18:24

:sunon March 11, 2007, spring forward (instead of the usual April date) and fall back on November 4 (about a week later than the usual October date)

Umm I hate to disappoint you, but the amount of daylight does not change. I doubt I'll be consulting my watch much on the trail.

map man
03-15-2006, 23:49
I've read quite a few accounts of NOBO thru-hikers at Trailjournals.com who started in May and finished with no trouble. Like ARambler mentioned earlier, I did a study of thru-hikers who kept journals at Trailjournals.com and the average length of hike for that journal-keeping population was 5.5 months and included about three weeks worth of zero days. So since your stated intention is to take few zero days, and since you would be avoiding some winter-like weather in the southern Appalachians, these factors would tend to shorten your hike some from the "typical" five and a half months. I'd think there would be a good chance you can do it without even having to feel rushed (feeling rushed would be the last thing you would want).

Since someday I hope to thru-hike the AT I've given a lot of thought to when I would start and since I dislike hiking in snow and ice more than I dislike heat and humidity, I've often thought that the last week of April or the first week of May would be a good time for me to start. If you did end up discovering that the pace you feel most comfortable with is not likely to get you to Katahdin on time, this should be apparent to you probably no later than Waynesboro, VA or Harpers Ferry and flip flopping ahead to the north end of the trail could still be an option. I've thought for myself that if I ever needed to flip flop that Harpers Ferry would be a nice place psychologically to end a thru-hike as the AT offices are there and transit away from this point is easier than just about anywhere else on the trail.

Scaper
03-16-2006, 00:01
I think the first week in May is the best time to start a thru-hike. "Scaper" "Ga-Me May 5- Oct 9. 1990

munchkin
03-16-2006, 00:17

If the sun comes up at 6:00am and set at 6:00pm on standard time, then it will come up at 7:00am and set at 7:00pm on daylights savings time. So if you normally start your day after 7:00am, then your right you will have an extra hour of trail time.

The Solemates
03-16-2006, 10:50
If the sun comes up at 6:00am and set at 6:00pm on standard time, then it will come up at 7:00am and set at 7:00pm on daylights savings time. So if you normally start your day after 7:00am, then your right you will have an extra hour of trail time.

except that hikers dont typically go by time. they get up with the sun and go to bed with the sun. same amount of daylight. same amount of hiking time. daylight savings changes nothing.

longshank
03-16-2006, 12:56
I dont think about it that way... I see that currently the sun (in my area) sets around 6pm. If this was 2007, it would be setting around 7pm. To me (a blonde) thats an extra hour of hiking!!
It would also rise an hour later.

Peaks
03-16-2006, 20:57
When you think about it, anytime can be a good time to start a thru-hike. The question is what is the best way for you to hike your hike?

If you are getting a May start, then your options include hiking faster than the typical hiker, or taking fewer days off, doing a leap frog, or starting somewhere other than at Springer. Plenty of people have done it any number of ways.

No Belay
03-16-2006, 22:26
Good to see another member who lives in Paradise. Welcome to WB! You''ll soon discover watches with alarms are to complicated for some. I agree with your line of thinking.

Rain Man
03-16-2006, 23:39
I'm reading volume one of "Hiking the Appalachian Trail," which is a compendium of hike reports by most of the early thru-hikers. I'm amazed at the number who started in May or even June NOBO, and made it. I think March and Februrary and January start dates are a recent phenomenon.

The one I'm reading now was in 1969. Started in May and had the trail to himself the first 190 miles, he says! That sure was the old days!

Rain:sunMan

Gonzo!
03-17-2006, 10:04
Sounds like most of you are just relaying info you heard or researched. I actually started May 15 and finished before a lot of people who began before me. The key, as you alluded to, is not to take so many zero days.
After all, are you out there to hike, or to hang out in town? I finished September 18. I would not recommend going any faster, but would slow down some since my experience with hiking in Maine during late september is that that is the best time to be there. Sure it gets hot, but depending on the year, that can happen at different times and different places anywhere along the trail. Go when you can, and let the experience be your adventure.

Gonzo!
www.2000milehike.com (http://www.2000milehike.com)