PDA

View Full Version : Camping in VA

lava
03-15-2006, 13:35
Hi,

I'm a new poster, but have been lurking and reading and hiking for a while. Here's my question.

I'm planning a 3-4 day section hike in VA near Dragon's tooth this summer. I see in the companion that there's no (legal) camping between VA 624 and US 220 except in designated camping areas. So here's my question for those of you who are familiar with that area (I've never been there).

Are there good opportunities for finding a spot to set up a tent between Pickle Branch Shelter and VA 624 before I enter the restricted camping zone? I'm thinking we'd probably want to find a place to camp after dragon's tooth but before 624.

Anyone know any particularly good tenting spots in this little stretch?

The way I'm hoping to pace our trip, I'd like to have the option of passing up Pickle Branch Shelter without feeling obligated to go all the way to John's Spring Shelter. Will the terrain in that area be conducive to this?

Thanks.

lava

Hikerhead
03-15-2006, 13:52
I'll send you a PM when I get home from work.

jlb2012
03-15-2006, 14:21
there is a gap after Dragon's Tooth NOBO that I think is something like Lost Spectacles Gap right where a side trail comes up from the Dragon's Tooth Parking Area - anyways there is some reasonable camping there provided you are willing to deal with a dry camp - least wise when I camped there I could not find any easy access to water - there is however some water about a mile down the side trail iirc.

lava
03-15-2006, 14:45
there is a gap after Dragon's Tooth NOBO that I think is something like Lost Spectacles Gap right where a side trail comes up from the Dragon's Tooth Parking Area - anyways there is some reasonable camping there provided you are willing to deal with a dry camp - least wise when I camped there I could not find any easy access to water - there is however some water about a mile down the side trail iirc.

Thanks! That's very helpful. I'll make a note of that in my trip planning notes. (I tend to overplan everything :p ).

I suspected there had to be something. I tried skimming over some previous thru-hikers' trailjournals, but all they talk about in that area is HomePlace, or the B&B, or they're doing 20-mile days at this point and don't feel the need to stop there, so I figured the folks here would be able to help me out.

I look forward to additional suggestions from others...the more options I have the better!

Thanks again!

lava