PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Miler Award for 2020

rickb
05-07-2020, 08:11
This poll asks whether or not the ATC should confer any of their 2,000 Miler awards this year.

RangerZ
05-07-2020, 08:37
To be complete, this poll needs an unconditional yes option.

Lone Wolf
05-07-2020, 09:21
do away with the certificates

rickb
05-07-2020, 09:32
To be complete, this poll needs an unconditional yes option.
That would be your second option.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-07-2020, 10:24
If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thruhike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).

ldsailor
05-07-2020, 10:38
Not many respondents to the poll yet, but I find the percentage of those who did respond voting for doing away with the award interesting. Just curious. Why do away with the award? I was sort of looking to add my name to the list whenever I get a chance to finish up my last couple of hundred miles.

Christoph
05-07-2020, 11:10
Not many respondents to the poll yet, but I find the percentage of those who did respond voting for doing away with the award interesting. Just curious. Why do away with the award? I was sort of looking to add my name to the list whenever I get a chance to finish up my last couple of hundred miles.

My thoughts too. Why do away with it? It's a great conversational piece/ice breaker in the office. I worked for every mile of it, why not be proud to show it off a little bit?

chknfngrs
05-07-2020, 12:22
I have not thru hiked the Appalachian Trail yet, and won’t respond to this survey. But don’t think I would need a piece of paper to show off. My hike would just be leaking from me in a way paper could never drip.

D2maine
05-07-2020, 12:51

why do away with it?

Don H
05-07-2020, 13:11
Why do away with the certificates? If you thru and don't want one then don't apply. Nobody is making you accept a certificate or put your name on a list.

Slo-go'en
05-07-2020, 13:31
The 2K award is for anyone. There is a separate award for the 365 day thru hike, right?

There well could be a number of people who finish the trail this year, but not as a thru hike. So sure, they can get a certificate suitable for framing.

As for the thru hike certificate, if anyone does manage to complete a thru hike this year I think they are entitled to an award. Skipping sections due to them being closed when you got there is acceptable.

Starchild
05-07-2020, 14:21
My Take: ATC has requested the AT be closed, travel during these times should not count towards the 2000 miler award. Thru's and sections are still possible if completed outside of those closure times.

If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thru hike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).

During the wildfires SoBo's were awarded the 2000 miler certificate finishing at Hot Springs, which I believe made their thru less than 2000 miles.

Last Call
05-07-2020, 19:25
I think flip-floppers shouldn't qualify for a badge, traditional hikes only, those who start on the approach trail and finish at Katahin with no yellow blazing.

rickb
05-07-2020, 21:22
My Take: ATC has requested the AT be closed, travel during these times should not count towards the 2000 miler award. Thru's and sections are still possible if completed outside of those closure times.
This is the approach that the organization which recognizes 4,000 footers hikes took, at least until very recently when there was some relaxation of recommendations.

Crushed Grapes
05-07-2020, 23:28
I think flip-floppers shouldn't qualify for a badge, traditional hikes only, those who start on the approach trail and finish at Katahin with no yellow blazing.
Thankfully, this mindset is dying every year.

4eyedbuzzard
05-08-2020, 02:24
I think flip-floppers shouldn't qualify for a badge, traditional hikes only, those who start on the approach trail and finish at Katahin with no yellow blazing.Funny thing is that I've got several AT related items and patches and such, and they all say "Maine to Georgia"? Sounds to me like maybe those NOBOs are hiking it backwards. Probably shouldn't get a badge for that either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rickb
05-08-2020, 06:53
Thankfully, this mindset is dying every year.
Agreed— but that prior post was probably just a troll to suggest that any requirements are an arbitrary construct.

I would disagree when it comes to this one.

The ATC’s mission has always been about creating and protecting a continuous footpath, with the entirety seen as something even more important that the sum of its parts.

Since the 2,000 Miler Award is theirs to give (other organizations are free to establish their own awards) it seems fitting that central requirement is to walk each of those miles (or make every effort to do so) without regard to speed, direction or time (years even) taken.

The award has always been just as much about the Trail as those who end up walking it all.

ALDHA or any other group can always establish a different award that is just about hiking, or running or whatever — with whatever caveats the want.

As for patches, I say print up a whole variety and sell them to whoever wants one.

KnightErrant
05-08-2020, 11:27
I see a lot more hikers bragging about not needing the validation of a piece of paper than I've ever seen anyone brag about their piece of paper. At least, that's been my observation about both the 2000-miler certificate and the various peak-bagging patches of New England. :P

As for the question at hand, I think it's too early to tell. A traditional NOBO thru-hike would be very challenging this year, but the jury's still out whether the trail will be more accessible later this year for SOBO, flip-flop, or completed section hikes. If the COVID-19 situation plays out in such a way that hikers are able to complete the trail according to the ATC's definition of a thru-hike, I don't see why they wouldn't continue to award the 2000-miler designation.

They also published this letter about their 2000-miler policy for thru-hikers this year: https://appalachiantrail.org/official-blog/2020-thru-hikers-picking-up-where-you-left-off/
Quote: "We will recognize all 2020 thru-hikers who began their hikes this year and left the Trail prior to March 31, 2020, postponing until after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that special precautions are no longer necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19 or ATC issues an announcement. Once the CDC issues this guidance, thru-hikers can pick up where they left off — whether at mile 5 or 500 — and have twelve months from the date they choose to resume their hikes to complete the remainder of their journeys and still be recognized by the ATC as a thru-hiker and 2,000-miler."

ldsailor
05-08-2020, 11:53
The 2K award is for anyone. There is a separate award for the 365 day thru hike, right?

There is? I get the ATC Journeys journal. The latest has a "2,000 Milers" listing in which they say, "...includes those who reported hike completions of the entire Trail (thru-hikes and section-hikes)..." If there is a separate listing, maybe someone else knows, but the ATC apparently makes no distinction between thru-hikes and completed section-hikes when they hand out the 2,000 miler award.

Starchild
05-09-2020, 07:21
There is? I get the ATC Journeys journal. The latest has a "2,000 Milers" listing in which they say, "...includes those who reported hike completions of the entire Trail (thru-hikes and section-hikes)..." If there is a separate listing, maybe someone else knows, but the ATC apparently makes no distinction between thru-hikes and completed section-hikes when they hand out the 2,000 miler award.
Logistically thru hikers (and LASHERS) get a bit more leeway, since one is allowed to road walk around closed/dangerous sections (at one time according to ATC, one could even skip by vehicle for those reason and it would count, but I believe they removed that), harder to 'honestly' justify for a section hiker who could just scedual that section for another time in the spirit of making the effort to walking the entire trail. The act of thru hiking allows the honest effort.

Additionally ATC does ask if it's a thru or section, and if a thru, a NoBo, SoBo or flipflop (NoBo or SoBo dictates how the certificate will read ME>GA or GA>ME. So while the patch is the same, and except for direction dictated by NoBo or SoBo, it is recorded as a thru or section.

rickb
05-09-2020, 08:29
After the whole Scott Jurek donnybrook, the ATC application added “expectations of 2,000-milers that include treating the natural environment, A.T. communities, other hikers, and our agency partners—whose land the A.T. passes through— with kindness, respect, and cooperation”

Given Sandra Marra’s impassioned request that ALL hikers (thru hikers, section hikers, and day hikers alike) stay away from the AT, would not the ATC’s standards prohibit them from confirming the award to any hiker who refuses to respect this request?

The ATC could not have been any more clear: “We cannnot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice”.

Whether one agrees with the ATC or not, I just don’t think there is any way they can possibly award the 2000 Miler Certificate to anyone who has included miles walked during a period they have so forcefully urged hikers not to do so.

Their rules, not mine.

Traveler
05-10-2020, 08:51
Have to agree with Rickb. The "2000 Miler" award is issued by the ATC and as such, they are the only arbiters of how it is administered. During a National Emergency as we are experiencing and the ATC is requesting people stay away from the AT, temporarily halting the "2000 Miler" award is appropriate and should be expected.

People don't have to agree with this position or can, that is the politics of things like this. Bottom line remains, the decision that no certificates until the ATC formally reopens the trail has been made and should be respected.

Odd Man Out
05-10-2020, 22:50
You could legally hike the last 5 miles you need to complete your section hike which qualifies you for a certificate. So why shut them out? 2000 milers are not just thru hikers.

tiptoe
05-11-2020, 07:18
When I finally completed the AT as a section hiker, I applied for the award, not because I needed "validation" but just to mark the event, a milestone of sorts. Truth be told, I have no idea where the document is right now, but it was nice to receive it.

Alligator
05-11-2020, 09:13
Troll was removed, carry on.

rickb
05-11-2020, 09:15
When I finally completed the AT as a section hiker, I applied for the award, not because I needed "validation" but just to mark the event, a milestone of sorts. Truth be told, I have no idea where the document is right now, but it was nice to receive it.

I never applied for one either despite my late father’s urging that I do so. He ended up sending the ATC a newspaper article in lieu of a trip report they required at the time behind my back.

I appreciate it more because of that.

MikeC123
05-11-2020, 16:08
Why does it say 'you may not vote on this poll' ?

Alligator
05-11-2020, 17:06
Why does it say 'you may not vote on this poll' ?I think there is a small post count you need before voting on polls. I was looking for the option in the software but did not find it right away.

Majortrauma
05-11-2020, 17:19
"Have to agree with Rickb. The "2000 Miler" award is issued by the ATC and as such, they are the only arbiters of how it is administered. During a National Emergency as we are experiencing and the ATC is requesting people stay away from the AT, temporarily halting the "2000 Miler" award is appropriate and should be expected."

And the men and woman who decide they are going to carry on with their thru hike, very likely don't care at all about the 2000 miler award.

BlackCloud
05-13-2020, 16:38
If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thruhike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).

Nothing is too trivial for entertainment purposes.

Ethesis
05-13-2020, 17:26

That is really the whole point. If you made a good faith attempt and you missed only the closed parts, you’ve technically followed the rules.

The problem is that unlike a mile or two of fire closure or a half mile closed bridge shuttled around you are talking a huge amount of the trail.

Astro
05-13-2020, 19:41
That is really the whole point. If you made a good faith attempt and you missed only the closed parts, you’ve technically followed the rules.

The problem is that unlike a mile or two of fire closure or a half mile closed bridge shuttled around you are talking a huge amount of the trail.

I have 167 miles left to complete the AT. So does that mean if the 115 miles in ME open as they appear they are for July, but the 52 in NH do not, I would be done?

While I really want to complete all 2,193 miles, it appears based upon this logic I would have a completion with only 2,141.

Slo-go'en
05-13-2020, 19:58
I have 167 miles left to complete the AT. So does that mean if the 115 miles in ME open as they appear they are for July, but the 52 in NH do not, I would be done? While I really want to complete all 2,193 miles, it appears based upon this logic I would have a completion with only 2,141.
No, I don't think so. As a section hiker, a closed section does not affect you in the same way as a thru hiker. For a thru hiker, to carry on requires going around, which can be an adventure in of it's self.

Astro
05-13-2020, 20:03
No, I don't think so. As a section hiker, a closed section does not affect you in the same way as a thru hiker. For a thru hiker, to carry on requires going around, which can be an adventure in of it's self.

Which is what I would personally agree it with too. :)
But based on the logic of the survey and some of the comments a thru-hiker could miss significant sections of the AT due to closures.

swjohnsey
05-14-2020, 09:27
I hiked the AT, every inch. I don't need a certificate to prove it.

Deadeye
05-14-2020, 11:17
...and polls.

Majortrauma
05-14-2020, 11:46
...and polls.
Yes to both. Polls seem to be quite divisive here.
Also, I think it would be more fun and far more entertaining to make your own certificate commemorating whatever your backpacking achievement was this year.

colorado_rob
05-14-2020, 12:17
Yes to both. Polls seem to be quite divisive here.
Also, I think it would be more fun and far more entertaining to make your own certificate commemorating whatever your backpacking achievement was this year. I bought a silver AT necklace, very simple, the standard AT logo, I haven't taken it off since I hiked the trail in 2015. I get some many comments and compliments about it! And is basically my first ever piece of jewelry except wedding ring.

Some like their certificates, I know lots of folks that do, that's cool.

And yeah, polls are divisive, but still, entertaining to see all the blathering about the wildly varying answers!

My take on this poll: The ATC is 100% in charge on whether they should issue the little slips of paper for 2020, I have no opinion on it being right or wrong.

Starchild
05-14-2020, 15:06
You could legally hike the last 5 miles you need to complete your section hike which qualifies you for a certificate. So why shut them out? 2000 milers are not just thru hikers.

Who is suggesting just shutting section hikers out? It appears that many are saying it appears reasonable to shut both out seems reasonable if it is during the ATC's suggestion to stay off the trail. If ATC lifts that request both can complete their hike. Also few sections are actually legally closed as ATC does not have that authority.

rickb
05-14-2020, 18:47
I just clicked on the link to hat KnightErrant included in his post.

Seems the ATC published their decision some days prior to this poll.