PDA

View Full Version : Fox creek, to Damascus,,,,, may 20th

Kilroyxl
05-09-2020, 22:41
Looking to hopefully jump on the trail may 20th at fox creek, then spend a couple of days hiking to Damascus with a couple of first responders......

It has been a stressful 30 days, and really hoping we can pull this off.

We have a place to stay in Damascus.

What are your thoughts about the hike? Also getting off the AT into Damascus.

Hope each of you are well and safe.

Lone Wolf
05-10-2020, 06:38
free shuttle if you want one. PM me

chknfngrs
05-10-2020, 08:53
First, thank you for your service. Sounds like a lovely way to blow off some steam. You will not find a fair answer to your question of “what are your thoughts” on this website during this bobo called a pandemic. Seeing as this is post #1 for you I am guessing you already knew that. And of course LW responded first, am I right?! Don’t ask us, if you have to ask you’ll never know

Traveler
05-10-2020, 09:21
Just as information, the ATC has made several announcements regarding trail use in light of the National Emergency, starting with closing shelters and privies along the trail, and culminating in a broad request, stating "We cannot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice".

That is a pretty clear request from the ATC. It's up to you which side of that request you choose to fall on.

greensleep
05-10-2020, 10:19
Looking to hopefully jump on the trail may 20th at fox creek, then spend a couple of days hiking to Damascus with a couple of first responders......

It may still be a bit early to be on the trail heading into a town. Thinking of others.

Slo-go'en
05-10-2020, 10:29
The Grayson Highlands is a popular place, but with a mid week start and most responsible people staying home, it might not be too bad. It's also a state park, so there might be additional restrictions imposed by the state.

Lets see, about a 6 hour drive from Adams, TN (looks like a nice little town) to Damascus. Looks like a lot of National Forest much closer to you. Why not explore some local trails?

Hikemor
05-10-2020, 11:14
Of states with an announced end date for stay-at-home orders, VA's is the furthest at June 10. Gov. Northam has announced a phase 1 opening for VA for May 15. This would include state parks on a phased basis :confused:.

Fairfax County accounts for 25 percent of cases in VA. By comparison, Grayson County has reported 12 cases, 1 hospitalization and 0 deaths. Statewide emergency indeed.

colorado_rob
05-10-2020, 11:25
I kinda thought the Covid-ethics rants had stopped, I suppose not. Same folks, on and on, trying to get everyone to think like they do.

Anyway, great little section, I've done it now 3 times and I live 1500 miles away. Hope it works out for you! Sounds like yo have a ride. If it's legal, do it, shelters not needed.

u.w.
05-10-2020, 12:51
Wonderful section to do, with a lot to offer from Fox Creek, thru the Highlands, and Whitetop Mt on down into Damascus.
Hope yall have great weather for it, and enjoy your hike - it's a good'un.

willin'

Crossbar
05-10-2020, 14:28
You're traveling from a county with 220 Covid cases, which is adjacent to a county with 620 cases and another with 3300 cases to a destination which, as of now, only has 56 cases. Why? There's plenty here in TN. How about Big South Fork, they just re-opened back country.

Trail Money
05-10-2020, 16:52
I think its a great idea to get into open air and sunshine with much fewer people than at your local Wal-mart or grocery store. I think (and I am allowed to do that still) is if you spend very little time in the general public in Damascus and majority of your time in the woods, you will be perfectly fine. Take any face mask precautions you think (or others think) you might need while your in town and enjoy the trail, you'll be safer there anyway.

Kilroyxl
05-10-2020, 19:52
Reasonable response. Thank you. We have plenty of masks! We could probably supply Damascus!

Kilroyxl
05-10-2020, 19:52
we plan on being very covert. Coming in late on the 20th, and going straight to our accommodations. I really wanted the group to pump some money into Damascus but simply afraid of the consequences.

My real concern is coming off the trail. Can I get off the AT, and into Damascus? Is the creeper trail the only path?

I am grateful for the responses

Alligator
05-10-2020, 19:53
Trailhead and access points for the AT are temporarily closed on the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. While not technically closed, I am not sure how you might get on the trail without going through an access point.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/gwj/alerts-notices/?aid=57425

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/gwj/alerts-notices

Kilroyxl
05-10-2020, 21:03
Thank for the insight, the link was broken, but I narrowed in on the information you ment to send. Appreciative!

Kilroyxl
05-10-2020, 21:05
Hiked big south fork last fall. Vast, and very isolated, nevertheless we enjoyed the trip. Jamestown, and Oneida are a must see. Thanks for the stats, we are also watching the numbers closely. Again, I feel very isolated in the section we chose and hopefully we experience what the AT has to offer.

Kilroyxl
05-10-2020, 21:10
BTW: hiked with a trail money some time ago, along the Franklin, NC section. A real bad ass that loved wild life and always on time. Same trail money?

Alligator
05-10-2020, 21:44
Hiked big south fork last fall. Vast, and very isolated, nevertheless we enjoyed the trip. Jamestown, and Oneida are a must see. Thanks for the stats, we are also watching the numbers closely. Again, I feel very isolated in the section we chose and hopefully we experience what the AT has to offer.I reposted the links although there is something on that website mentioning portlet issues, that may be why it wasn't working.

Pretty iffy for ten days out, do you have an alternative for outside the NF?

Traffic Jam
05-11-2020, 09:01
Alternative suggestion with a similar driving distance...

Hike the Foothills Trail from Sloan Bridge to Oconee State Park. Only a few access points remain closed in that area so it’s less problematic.

Trail Money
05-11-2020, 09:42
BTW: hiked with a trail money some time ago, along the Franklin, NC section. A real bad ass that loved wild life and always on time. Same trail money?

You know there is only one Trail Money:)

DownYonder
05-12-2020, 08:48
Not certain about Fox Creek but the parking lot at Elk Garden was packed last weekend. Don't think I have ever seen that many cars....parking lot full and 20+ cars parked along the side of the road. Based on the crowds, I would be concerned about finding a designated camp site in the Highlands on a weekend. Enjoy your hike!!

Alligator
05-12-2020, 10:45
Not certain about Fox Creek but the parking lot at Elk Garden was packed last weekend. Don't think I have ever seen that many cars....parking lot full and 20+ cars parked along the side of the road. Based on the crowds, I would be concerned about finding a designated camp site in the Highlands on a weekend. Enjoy your hike!!He should be more concerned that the Elk Garden trailhead is listed as being closed through May, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD718767

Contact information for the Mount Rogers NRA can be found here https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/gwj/about-forest/districts.

SWODaddy
05-13-2020, 07:18

One of the best AT sections to do. Have fun.

SWODaddy
05-13-2020, 07:22
He should be more concerned that the Elk Garden trailhead is listed as being closed through May, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD718767

Contact information for the Mount Rogers NRA can be found here https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/gwj/about-forest/districts.

They're not parking there so should have no problem.

Alligator
05-13-2020, 15:26
They're not parking there so should have no problem.I was responding to Down Yonder's post so take it up with him.

Parking is not the only issue though. If I am interpreting this correctly, a closed access point means one's body shouldn't go through it either. Feel free to let me know otherwise.

gungho
05-13-2020, 22:23
The trailhead was never closed or baricaded..it has been mobbed with cars every weekend

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DownYonder
05-14-2020, 08:34
The trailhead was never closed or baricaded..it has been mobbed with cars every weekend

THIS ^^^

No attempt to close the parking lot nor the trail head. Also, the road to the top of White Top, where you can pickup the AT, is not closed.

Alligator
05-14-2020, 15:40

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkDoesn't change the fact that the AT Trailhead is closed. People getting on the AT there are breaking the rules. Plenty of other trails to use, other trails are open. I called the National Forest the AT trailheads are currently closed. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD718767

THIS ^^^

No attempt to close the parking lot nor the trail head. Also, the road to the top of White Top, where you can pickup the AT, is not closed.They only have closed AT Trailheads and AT dedicated parking lots, nothing about roads. People ride their bikes down from White Top.

gungho
05-14-2020, 22:39
Ever "AT Trailhead " between tn 91 and dikey gap where never ,"barricaded " or "roped off". I live here...I know

Alligator
05-15-2020, 10:39
Ever "AT Trailhead " between tn 91 and dikey gap where never ,"barricaded " or "roped off". I live here...I know

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkActually speaking with the regulating authority for the national forest, trailheads closed. Logistically impossible to rope or barricade the whole trail.

Slo-go'en
05-16-2020, 14:09
Actually speaking with the regulating authority for the national forest, trailheads closed. Logistically impossible to rope or barricade the whole trail.

Apparently there are a significant number of people who don't know or don't care. The FS tried to close trailhead parking lots here in the Whites, that lasted one weekend and they gave up.

Trail Money
05-26-2020, 08:53
Our hike from Fox Creek to Damascus was eventful. We got rained on every day and didn't realize how cold it could quickly get at such elevations. We ran into maybe 12 total hikers on our 4 days on the trail, but it seemed like more people were getting on the last couple of days we were there. We were welcomed by the folks at the SunDog outfitters and the Damascus Diner as they have definitely been feeling the financial burden of the pandemic and were happy to have business starting to pick back up. The views were incredible except the first hike from Fox Creek to old orchard shelter in the semi monsoon conditions. We learned that the ponies are cool at a distance, but there were some that were very pushy and i guess wanted us to give them food, we did not oblige. The second day we woke to a bright blue sky and no more trails that looked like small streams and we were encouraged only to get rained on again that evening. We headed out the third day and enjoyed beautiful weather through the woods on much easier terrain and made it to a campsite along the White Top Laurel creek, amazing spot for camping. The last morning we hiked out, went back to our rental, cleaned up and jumped on the Creeper Trail. Overall, it was a great time with my brother and friends. One last thing, a huge thank you to Lone Wolf, he is a pretty cool guy and very dependable, he';s got a lot of experience on the trail and knows that section of the AT like the back of his hand. Thanks Wolf, you are much appreciated sir!

u.w.
05-26-2020, 20:52
Hell ya! Glad yall got your hike in, and had at least some great weather!

willin'