PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Max Patch?

TSWisla
05-11-2020, 23:08
Can you park at Max Patch? Is it even open? Difficult to find information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Slo-go'en
05-12-2020, 00:06
Can't tell you if it's open or not, but there is parking close by, maybe 0.6 from summit. Popular day hiking area.

TSWisla
05-12-2020, 00:15
Thank you. Is the parking safe for multiday parking?

Alligator
05-12-2020, 02:28
When are going? Currently trailhead and access points to the AT are closed at Max Patch https://appalachiantrail.org/explore/plan-and-prepare/hiking-basics/health/covid19/a-t-closures/

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD717426

Christoph
05-12-2020, 08:32
This is one section I was planning on this year, SOBO to Newfound Gap. Once everything opens up a bit, I have this same question. Is it safe for multi day parking?

TNhiker
05-12-2020, 09:44
also.................right now..............apparently the road going up from interstate 40 is in bad shape...

people on other groups have said the road is not passable right now.....

and while break ins can happen at any trailhead, i've never heard about any problems up there....

Alligator
05-12-2020, 10:19
also.................right now..............apparently the road going up from interstate 40 is in bad shape...

people on other groups have said the road is not passable right now.....

and while break ins can happen at any trailhead, i've never heard about any problems up there....I got two flats on that road last fall! I moved over to let another car pass not far from the parking area and I must have run over a branch stub or a pointy rock. Both punctures were on the same side. Fortunately I made it down the mountain to where a friend was staying.

Christoph
05-12-2020, 10:58
So... probably better to get a shuttle to the Max Patch parking lot. I saw that road on maps and thought it looked pretty rough and that was before all this years stuff started. Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

TNhiker
05-12-2020, 11:00
So... probably better to get a shuttle to the Max Patch parking lot

well....

if the road is impassable, a shuttle wont do any good...

although, not sure how the road is coming in the other way....

but that way would take alot longer to drive to get to max patch....

renais
05-12-2020, 14:36
Last year the road from Hot Springs up to Max Patch was much better than the road coming from I40. The road from I40 had a number of very poor sections, and was slow going. If you approach from Hot Springs, there is also a very beautiful lake just before you get to the Max parking. Also, if you don't want to worry about parking at Max Patch, you could park at the lot in Hot Springs and start your hike there. The miles to Max Patch are not too difficult, and if you need a shuttle back, Hot Springs might be easier to arrange a ride back to.

Slo-go'en
05-12-2020, 18:50
So, start at Lemon gap on TN107. Adds 15 miles, but what the heck? Lots easier to get to. With an early afternoon start, you'd make Roaring Fork shelter okay. Lunch on top of Max Patch the next day.

Crushed Grapes
05-12-2020, 19:21
Also, are shuttlers shuttling? I reached out to one in NC and she said nope.

Alligator
05-12-2020, 19:47
So, start at Lemon gap on TN107. Adds 15 miles, but what the heck? Lots easier to get to. With an early afternoon start, you'd make Roaring Fork shelter okay. Lunch on top of Max Patch the next day.Also currently closed (see post 4), no word on when TSWisla wants to go.

Slo-go'en
05-12-2020, 21:33
Also currently closed (see post 4), no word on when TSWisla wants to go.

I think he wanted to go tomorrow, but now has Davenport locked in.

Tennessee Viking
05-13-2020, 00:00
Harmon Den and the AT from I40 to Hot Springs is a high populated bear area. I would not recommend parking there overnight.