PDA

View Full Version : Things the AT needs to change

lobster
03-15-2006, 23:04
1. All trail maintenance including removal of blowdowns, building new shelters or fixing old ones, no more marking the trail, etc. should be discontinued.

2. Bridges solely devoted to the AT should be demolished. All rivers and streams should be waded or swam.

3. Awarding AT certificates should be discontinued

4. Gun-toting rangers should not be allowed to kill wild boars.

5. The hostel in the 100 Mile Wilderness should be removed.

6. There should be no official trail at all except a trail corridor with
2 termini at the Amicalola arch and Chimney Pond.

Tin Man
03-16-2006, 00:06
1. All trail maintenance including removal of blowdowns, building new shelters or fixing old ones, no more marking the trail, etc. should be discontinued.

2. Bridges solely devoted to the AT should be demolished. All rivers and streams should be waded or swam.

Your forgot #7: On the 7th day, God rests and inserts a live lobster into a pot of boiling water until said lobster turns bright red. :welcome

Almost There
03-16-2006, 00:19
Yep, just what I want starting and ending my hike at the base of two mountains. Sorry dude rather go with the majesty of starting and ending on two summits!

BTW Lobster with butter is dam good!!!:D

Clark Fork
03-16-2006, 00:28

I will leave it for the master:

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."-Yogi Berra

If this gusher of meaningless, pointless and mostly nonsencical posts continues no one will be around for the good stuff. No one will want to wade through the clutter strewn about by the likes of Lobster and his ilk.

I vote Lobster off the Island and permanently in the Hiking Humor section.

Spare us, please.:eek:

Warmest Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana. "Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word."

BlackCloud
03-16-2006, 08:24
I disagree with all 7. But # 4 shows that you're just plain stupid.

Teatime
03-16-2006, 08:54
Yea, the gun toting rangers should expand their hunt to include land locked lobsters.

neo
03-16-2006, 09:38
git rid of them shelters:cool: neo

woodsy
03-16-2006, 10:24
How many of us would enjoy seeing lobster emerging from the trail after penetrating hundreds of blowdowns? A bloody shredded Lobster.!

Grampie
03-16-2006, 12:32
Lobster, You must stay up all night, just thinking about fishing. You do such a good job of trolling....:sun :sun :sun

Lobo
03-16-2006, 12:51
1. The AT should be completely paved with asphalt.
2. A traffic light should be located at every intersection where the AT crosses a major highway.
3. All shelters should be completely enclosed with running water, electric & internet service.
4. Cement steps should be constructed around any steep areas.
:eek:

DavidNH
03-16-2006, 13:07

Well..

Keep the bridges..why get our feet wet till we have to. and some streams might be rather deep.

Keep the certificates. It's an accomplishment and shouldnt we be proud of that.

I would make the termini Amicolola Falls state park and the far side of Mt Katahdin.

do rangers really carry guns?

David

blindeye
03-16-2006, 16:44
yikes! i don't even know where to begin

Stoker53
03-16-2006, 20:10
Well..

Keep the bridges..why get our feet wet till we have to. and some streams might be rather deep.

Keep the certificates. It's an accomplishment and shouldnt we be proud of that.

I would make the termini Amicolola Falls state park and the far side of Mt Katahdin.

do rangers really carry guns?

David

Rangers in the GSMNP routinely hunt the wild pigs in the park. They will often park their trucks close to known road crossing points and shoot them from the truck.

hikerjohnd
03-16-2006, 22:24

There is a hostel in the 100 mi wilderness???:confused:

QHShowoman
03-16-2006, 22:32
There is a hostel in the 100 mi wilderness???:confused:

Yeah. It's the White House Landing Wildnerness Camp.

KirkMcquest
03-16-2006, 22:41
I agree with three, four and five. Not having markers, or a trail would be a nightmare.

Peaks
03-17-2006, 09:13
If, as Lobster advocates, discontinue all maintenance, remove bridges, and such, then the AT will in fact be abandoned. The concept is absurb.

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 09:23
You know that sign somewhere along the trail that says No Unicycles?

It should be changed to read No Lobsters.

Everything else is OK just like it is. ;)

max patch
03-17-2006, 09:56
Lobster is a troll.

I'm amazed at how many people take the time to answer his posts.

Tin Man
03-17-2006, 12:16
Lobster is a troll.

Hmm, sounds like you are guilty too. :-?

BlackCloud
03-17-2006, 14:38
Lobster is a troll.

Can we get him banned????:-?

Ender
03-17-2006, 15:19
Why? Don't post to the thread if you don't like it. Pretty simple.

lobster
03-17-2006, 15:28
Has anybody run into a wild (?) boar on the trail down south?

neo
03-17-2006, 15:51
:D :D :D neo:cool:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10085&catid=member&imageuser=3462

woodsy
03-17-2006, 16:49
Lobster, you are the only wild boar and if you keep it up you'll be shot.

DaSchwartz
03-17-2006, 23:40
1. All trail maintenance including removal of blowdowns, building new shelters or fixing old ones, no more marking the trail, etc. should be discontinued. Disagree. The bushwhacking alone would create much more damage. Same with marking of the trail, you need to have one path, not 50 of them.

Disagree. Swimming and wading in river streams can be dangerous.

Agree 100% with this. With so many definitions of thru-hikes, I'll agree to this.

Unless there is a reason for this like animal control, I'll agree.

Disagree. It's on private land.

2 termini at the Amicalola arch and Chimney Pond. Going back to #1 to answer that. You can argue that Amicalola falls should be the start.

Saluki Dave
03-18-2006, 00:56
Stairs in the steep places?? Sheesh... escalators. And moving walkways, you know, those things in the airports. And the shelters, which knucklehead forgot to mention a kegerator, resupplied daily by helicopter? And if the trail ispaved like someone suggested, I could use one of those electric golf bag carts that follows the thingie on your belt. Hiking in style, yeah! Plus satellite dishes. And a hot tub (solar powered of course; you can never be too green.) Plus priority valet parking all all trailheads, with oversize parking for my Excursion!

Mike
03-20-2006, 14:22
Has anybody run into a wild (?) boar on the trail down south?

I have ran into 2 of them in the GSMNP over the last several years. One of them was huge (larger black bear sized).

Why discourage the practice of rangers shooting wild boars. With the meager salary they make, I am sure their families appreciate a little meat added to their diets. Dont you think of the rangers' kids.... Heartless!:rolleyes: