PDA

View Full Version : How To Keep Your Feet Warm in A Hammock

mheider
03-15-2006, 23:41
My Son Big X started out Satarday Morning. He's Moving slow becuse this is his first time Long Distance Hiking. He will be in Suches tommorow picking up a mail drop. He says he can't keep his feet warm (Even wearing 3 Pairs of socks) when sleeping in his Hennesey Hammock? Any Suggestions would be great. Give him Moral support if you run past him.

Trooper347
03-15-2006, 23:54
One method for cold feet is put a Nalgene bottle (be careful not to use clear ones, they tend to crack) full of hot water in the bag at the foot end. Put it in a sock, or stuffsack to avoid contact with it if boiled water is used. I used this method in N.Y. this past Feb. when it snowed, and it kept my feet nice and warm. Best of luck to Big X on his hike!

Tin Man
03-16-2006, 00:02
get a neo-foot warmer :D

Tommy
03-16-2006, 00:03
circulation might be a problem if he has enough insulation. with 3 pairs on socks on, this is probably an issue to check for. no blood going to feet = no heat to insulate.

in other news, this sounds like someone having bought a bunch of new stuff off the internet and not testing it. testing/experimentation is especially important in preparation beforehand when trying new camping styles (in this case it sounds like he hasn't done previous hammocking). could have helped avoid whats going to be a number of cold nights for him.

River Runner
03-16-2006, 00:23
I'm not sure what he's using for underinsulation, but he might want to make sure something is insulating the area under his feet in the hammock. That could be the problem if he's using a closed cell pad inside the hammock and it's a shorter length that doesn't reach under his feet.

brian
03-16-2006, 00:25
I have had a real light pair of down booties for cold weather hammock use, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They keep my feet really warm, and sometimes my legs get jealous!

Brian
OES

saimyoji
03-16-2006, 00:28
A blast of whiskey, or prefered spirit each night in a addition to any of the aforementioned should do the trick.

Disney
03-16-2006, 00:29
The nalgene always works, and you can drop some tea bags in too. Makes for a nice treat. I'm just shocked that neo hasn't chimed in yet. Is this a drawback for hammocks?

Trooper347
03-16-2006, 00:36
The nalgene always works, and you can drop some tea bags in too. Makes for a nice treat. I'm just shocked that neo hasn't chimed in yet. Is this a drawback for hammocks?

I'm sorry, I should have stated how I used the bottle. I used the Nalgene bottle in a Clark hammock,placed in the end of the sleeping bag so it rested on the bottom of my feet while I had on one pair of wool socks. When I woke up in the morning, it was still in the bottom of the sleeping bag right where I had put it, and it was still hot. Wish I had thought of the tea bags, thats a Great idea!

mheider
03-16-2006, 00:43
Thank's for the imput guy's. I'll pass on the info. He does have a under pad insulating system and 2 Folding car sun screens They fold into small loops. So far it's the only gripe he had so far. He is really enjoying the experiance. He is still getting use to things but the input here was great.

Mr. Clean
03-16-2006, 06:49
Make sure he's wearing a good warm hat, and gloves wouldn't hurt either. Warm extremities = warm body.

neo
03-16-2006, 07:39
i use a pair of light wieght insulated fleece booties,i bought them at wallgreens,they have light plastic sole,i use in camp also,i paid 7.99
for them,i am diabetic so i must take extra care of my feet:cool: neo

neo
03-16-2006, 07:40
get a neo-foot warmer :D

:D what is a neo warmer lol:cool: neo

Tin Man
03-16-2006, 07:53
:D what is a neo warmer lol:cool: neo

A neo warmer is "I am looking forward to the award winning answer from the biggest promoter of all things hammock related." :D

rpettit
03-16-2006, 07:55
Is he setting his tarp over the hammock? He may need to block the wind.

wilderness bob
03-16-2006, 08:12
Swap out socks. A trick I use in colder weather is to keep a pair of socks warm by keeping them near my chest. When my feet get cold during the night I would simply change socks. Beware of the balancing act of doing so while suspended from the hammock. I also use the Nalgene bottle trick. I too place it in a sock to keep it from contacting my skin however, I recommend one additional thing. Before you place the Nalgene in the sock, use it to iron the inside of your sleeping bag (like a bed warmer of days gone by). Pre-heat your sleeping bag so the body does not need to do so Remember a sleeping bag is designed to reflect heat from the body thus keeping you warm, a thing that is hard to do if you wear to many layers of insulation. Sometimes a little less is more. Pass it on to your son to enjoy the trail. WB

jlb2012
03-16-2006, 08:28
one trick that someone (Youngblood ???) mentioned that works for me is to take a small piece of CCF pad and put it in the bottom of the sleeping bag so that one's heels are resting on the small CCF pad

skylark
03-16-2006, 09:57
A bubble pack envelope inside the sleeping bag under the feet also helps.

neo
03-16-2006, 09:58
one trick that someone (Youngblood ???) mentioned that works for me is to take a small piece of CCF pad and put it in the bottom of the sleeping bag so that one's heels are resting on the small CCF pad

sounds like a good ideal,i will put a thin piece of closed cell pad in my
foot box of my sleeping quilt,i carry a piece i use to set on to insulate my butt :D from cold logs and rocks:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-16-2006, 13:24
Just to sum up these posts and add a bit of new stuff:

Possible causes:

- Poor circulation. Too much insulation on the feet can sometimes restrict circulation...so adding that 3rd pair of socks might actually make his feet colder.
-- Solution: Make sure circulation isn't a problem. Make sure the socks aren't too tight, put a stuff sack pillow under the knees so they're not locked, etc.

- Cold core. If he's not wearing a hat and his body starts to cool, the body shuts down circulation to the extremities (well, not completely) to keep the core warm.
-- Solution: Putting on a hat might actually warm the feet quickly.

- Wind. In a hammock, the wind will blow across your toes more than the rest of the body because the feet generally stick up higher than the rest of the body.
-- Solution: Use a windblock - pull the tarp down closer at the foot end, hang next to a wall or rocks or thick brush, etc. Might consider vapor barrier socks, too.

- Not enough insulation underneath the feet (because of a shorter pad, because the feet are compressing the bag's insulation, etc).
-- Solution: More insulation, like putting a CCF sit pad under the feet.

- Wet socks. If you sleep in the socks you hiked in, they may be a bit damp, but you can't tell because you're used to it.
-- Solution: have a pair of dry socks for bed. Change them before you get out of the bag in the morning. Sometimes putting the damp pair in the bag with you will dry them.

The hot water bottle works wonders to keep you warm, too. For plain hot water, I like the softsided (platypus-style) Nalgene canteens...they form-fit to the body and are lighter than the Lexan Nalgenes. I don't like to put drink mixes and stuff in there, though.

This gives the benefit of having hot water in the morning, too. If you find the right flavors, adding some Jello makes a great hot drink in the morning. Someone here at WB said they like to put in their oatmeal at night so it can't leak and breakfast is ready whenever they wake up. Guess that depends on what you're using as a container, but it sounds like a great idea.

Lumberjack
03-16-2006, 14:26
Yall missed an obvious one..... perhaps hes wearing Cotton socks to bed?

Just Jeff
03-16-2006, 14:55
I added wearing damp socks to my post. Is that what you meant by cotton socks? I'm not sure there would be much of a difference between cotton and nylon socks inside a sleeping bag, as long as both were dry. Have you experienced otherwise?

peter_pan
03-17-2006, 09:42
The major cause of cold feet in those with otherwise good circulation is lack of adequate bottom insulation....far too many folk are using short or summer pads with un insulated packs under the feet...not enough....this is exaccerbated by sliding to the foot end with a less than ideal hang... then the feet are normally off or passed any insulation...tremedous cold can come from the heel area, even the bone can quickly chill due to lack of body mass/fat in that area...fix is to get more noncompressing insulation under the heels and lower legs...

Best approach is to get under insulation that extends beyound the feet to ensure a pocket of warmth that is not slid out of ...also doing the same under quilt insulation for the head will complete the sleep system...Remember the old adage, "when your feet are cold put something on your head"...

Pan

Lumberjack
03-17-2006, 10:17
I added wearing damp socks to my post. Is that what you meant by cotton socks? I'm not sure there would be much of a difference between cotton and nylon socks inside a sleeping bag, as long as both were dry. Have you experienced otherwise?

My feet sweat alot so theres no such thing as dry socks here. Damp would be bad, damp cotton worse.

orangebug
03-17-2006, 11:47
I've found I'm usually warmer at night without socks due to wetness. As the bag warms up, I'll bring in the socks to dry - when I use a sleeping bag.

jlb2012
03-17-2006, 12:56
I agree with orangebug - I put my socks next to my body to dry and don't wear socks in the bag - this way if a part of my foot is feeling cold I can rub it with the other foot to warm it up quickly

mheider
03-18-2006, 10:53
OK, He Has a Hennessey Pad Made for the hammock for cold Weather. He has 3 Pairs of Hiking Socks. He has Under Armor Cold Gear and Under Armor Head Wear with a wool Stocking Cap. All of his gear is synthetic. No Cotton anything. We fed him your ideas and everything now is going fine. He is off to Neels Gap and his attitude is great. Thank everybody for the help. I'm sure it will not be my last request for help.

No Belay
03-22-2006, 13:24
He says he can't keep his feet warm (Even wearing 3 Pairs of socks) when sleeping in his Hennesey Hammock? Any Suggestions would be great.

Tell your son to make sure the hammock is exactly centered between the two supporting trees, that the hang angle is precisely correct, and that all his quilts, pads and pillows are taped or glued to the bottom of the Hennesey in exactly the right place. Make sure the bottom apex of the hammock is no less than 27" from the ground nor more than 36 1/2 inches. After the 15 mins it takes to to do all this, have him spend another 5 minutes to pitch a TENT climb in and enjoy a warm cozy night where he can sleep on his stomach, side, or back without freezing cold air circulating all around him. He'll find his feet stay much warmer because he won't have reduced circualtion to his elevated feet.

We all wish him the best of luck on his trek and keep us advised of his progress.

If he still enjoys the hammock have him contact me. I have 2 for sale.

brz
05-16-2006, 20:38
if all that is cold is his feet, then he is blessed. hammocks are COLD. No Belay is on to the truth. staying warm up here in a hammock is a full time job. hammocks aren't for newbies. did i mention thunderstorms? you would be amazed how hard it is to find a pair of suitable trees up here.

cruelist of all, after finally getting everything just right to stay warm, then you have to go to the bathroom! dang nabit.

i think the next option hennesay needs to add is a pee tube or catheter like they have on scuba dry suits. one thing is for sure, most of the swingers up here have no idea about hammocks. its a good thing its not cold yet, cause somebody is going to freeze in one.

downhill
05-16-2006, 20:52
hang the head end of the hammock a little higher than the feet. if i get cold i just get into the fetal position.

hammock engineer
05-16-2006, 22:50
if all that is cold is his feet, then he is blessed. hammocks are COLD. No Belay is on to the truth. staying warm up here in a hammock is a full time job. hammocks aren't for newbies. did i mention thunderstorms? you would be amazed how hard it is to find a pair of suitable trees up here.

cruelist of all, after finally getting everything just right to stay warm, then you have to go to the bathroom! dang nabit.

i think the next option hennesay needs to add is a pee tube or catheter like they have on scuba dry suits. one thing is for sure, most of the swingers up here have no idea about hammocks. its a good thing its not cold yet, cause somebody is going to freeze in one.

Not hard to stay warm. Just different than on the ground. I little more of a learning curve than laying in a bag on a pad in a tent.

I am planning on many cold outside/warm inside my hammock nights this fall.

Tinker
05-16-2006, 22:59
I have to concur with the use of closed cell foam under the feet. When sleeping on your back in a hammock, the greatest pressure on your body is in the trunk and heel area. I use a full length 3/8" blue foam pad. I haven't had a problem with cold anything. I have added "wings" to my pad which correspond with my body's shape from shoulders to elbows. Clothing can be used for insulation by placing it next to both sides of the pad, but it tends to migrate toward the low spot (the butt), as does almost everything else, though less in a Hennessy Hammock than other "burrito" styles (I have both).

hobbit
05-17-2006, 08:18
maybe he is hanging the feet of his hammock too high??? that's good in the summer because then your feet don't swell/ache as bad the next day but if your trying to keep those piggely wiggelys warm its not a good thing. In fact I second downhill's response try hanging the head of the hammock a wee bit higher to increase circulation to the feet (probably ditch the third and maybe second sock to increase circulation.) and the small peice off ccf pad sounds like a winner as well......

Redhead
12-29-2006, 14:14
My Son Big X started out Satarday Morning. He's Moving slow becuse this is his first time Long Distance Hiking. He will be in Suches tommorow picking up a mail drop. He says he can't keep his feet warm (Even wearing 3 Pairs of socks) when sleeping in his Hennesey Hammock? Any Suggestions would be great. Give him Moral support if you run past him.

I've never done any hammock camping, but I did sleep many nights in a hammock in northeastern Brazil where they are often used in lieu of a bed. Your feet can get cold in a hammock because they tend to be elevated above your heart, causing less circulation to the feet. The key for me was to try to sleep diagonally across the hammock so that my body was nearly in a level straight line instead of being curved upward at the head and feet.

Maybe this tip will help your son.

Red

B.Woods
12-29-2006, 23:40

HOI,

We meet at the Blueberry Massacre (sp?) this fall. I was the one that came in late but not as late as Rox and Robert.

Thanks for the suggestion about the about the CCF pad. Now I have to go on another training hike.

I went up to South Mountain State Park on Wed. night. It got down to just at freezing. I have a Super Shelter for my HH and it did great. The only part of me that got cold was my feet. I feel like my feet are not on the underpad. I will use the backpad from my backpack in my sleeping bag next time and see how that works.

Bobby Woods

the goat
12-30-2006, 01:05
He says he can't keep his feet warm (Even wearing 3 Pairs of socks) when sleeping in his Hennesey Hammock? Any Suggestions would be great.
tell him to slip his feet into a tent!:)

rafe
12-30-2006, 01:40
Ragg wool socks. Reserved for camp and sleep only. Works for me.

hammock engineer
12-30-2006, 01:52
Having the pad under your feet should fix it. If not some people use down bottie things.