PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DBL-Walled, Non-Freestanding, 2 Person UL Tent

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
05-25-2020, 15:06
The title is pretty straightforward.

I'm looking to buy a double-walled tent to decrease the condensation inside my tent in the morning which I am always having trouble with.

Also, I prefer a tent that requires trekking poles instead of a freestanding one, but I'll take any recommendations for any tent that is freestanding.

Plus, I need it to endure the elements of an AT thru-hike. What are some good options out there? (I'm not worried about price range).

[I'm looking for something similar to the LightHeart SoLong 6, but double-walled. Heartfire is currently making masks instead of tents at the minute according to her website.]

Tabasco
05-25-2020, 15:47
I carried a Henry Shires Tarptent Contrail for 12 years on section hikes, great shelter just a bit tight for a thru (strictly MO) For my Covid19 aborted hike I upgraded to a BA Copper Spur 2 UL Platinum, double wall, (non freestanding) and for the 2 weeks I was out, I loved it. I’m 6’3” so the added length was appreciated. It’s 2 lb 4 oz iirc

Venchka
05-25-2020, 22:47
TarpTent
Stratospire 2
Solid inner tent body
I have the Stratospire 1 with solid inner. Condensation on me or my sleeping gear has not been a problem. Actually, if condensation occurs on the rainfly, it doesn’t get past the solid inner tent.
Mosquito nets with a floor are NOT double wall tents.
Wayne

DuneElliot
05-26-2020, 00:47
XMid 2p by Dan Durston. Available on MassDrop although I don't know when the next Drop will be.

I've also heard good things about the Yama Mtn Gear Swiftline.

UK company TrekkerTent makes a silpoly tent very similar to the Duplex but as a double wall with a mesh or solid inner that is removable.

Tarptent's Double Rainbow (either silnylon or in DCF), although single-walled, has the option of a removable condensation liner which in essence makes it a double-wall tent. It isn't free-standing but can be made so with hiking poles.

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
05-26-2020, 09:50
Thank you for all of the suggestions that I've been currently doing research on. My top choices right now are Big Agnes or Six Moon Designs. I'm also trying to aim for a tent with a small vestibule so it's easy to cook food inside your tent if it's raining.

The Solemates
05-27-2020, 20:58
I’ve owned so many tents it’s ridiculous. My favorite for the last 10 years has been big Agnes. I’m on my second one. You can’t beat their weight-to-space ratio. I don’t carry poles though so you might could get lighter with another pole-standing brand. I’ve also had some tents that require poles but I’ve used sticks instead. This is a little tougher to set up properly but can be done.

colorado_rob
05-28-2020, 07:50
Thank you for all of the suggestions that I've been currently doing research on. My top choices right now are Big Agnes or Six Moon Designs. I'm also trying to aim for a tent with a small vestibule so it's easy to cook food inside your tent if it's raining. I'm primarily a zpacks trekking pole UL tent guy these days, but for a recent hike where I wanted a traditional double wall free standing (mostly) tent I went ahead and bought a BA Tiger Wall UL2, and I think it's an excellent choice. I've owned various BA tents in the past (Fly Creek, Seed House, Copper Spur) and the Tiger Wall is my favorite, best space per ounce, easy to set up, etc.

T-Rx
05-28-2020, 07:52
Take a look at the BA Tigerwall UL2. About 2 lbs., double wall and free standing. Used a BA copper spur on my hike in 2015 and had 0 issues. I am a believer in BA products and their customer service is also good.