PDA

View Full Version : new Trail Days website - opinions welcomed

Local
03-16-2006, 08:29
We have a new website for Trail Days, which takes place May 19 - 21 this year in Damascus, Virginia: http://www.traildays.info/

Some of the resident thru-hikers living here have already suggested changes which we have included, particularly Sheriff (03) who runs the Baja Cafe. The site is for two audiences, the hikers (thru-hikers, section hikers, day-hikers, wannabes), and the tourists who come here for the festivities.

Please offer any advice on what you think might be needed. You can e-mail me directly at [email protected], if you wish. This is a volunteer effort and the site does not include any fancy stuff like Flash - just information.

I'm also looking for Chomp - two of his photos from his Trail Days gallery are being used, I've written to him, and provided links to his site. But I haven't heard from him, and wanted to get his ok to use his photos.

http://www.traildays.info/

Mountain Maiden
03-16-2006, 09:15
Please offer any advice on what you think might be needed. You can e-mail me directly at [email protected], if you wish. This is a volunteer effort and the site does not include any fancy stuff like Flash - just information.

http://www.traildays.info/[/quote]

Hey there--the 'new and inproved' site looks great. Lots more info! I emailed you a few days ago from the site link but have not heard back from you. Pls check. Thanks!
Sunrise

neo
03-16-2006, 09:40
wow.i like it,great website:cool: neo

D'Artagnan
03-16-2006, 10:06
Look great -- Everything one needs to know and in a simple, easy-to-read format.

BTW, isn't Chomp out West right now? I seem to remember reading one of his posts a week or so ago...could be wrong.

Red Hat
03-16-2006, 12:27
Only thing I can think of, the map needs a compass rose or something, since it shows the south on top. (or am I confused?) I know that is the way most people come in....

Great web site, and I can't wait to be there!

Just Jeff
03-16-2006, 12:57
No homemade gear contest?

Rain Man
03-16-2006, 13:14
I like that there is no Flash nor other bloated "sizzle" that slows download time and adds so little "steak" to any site.

Is that Mala in the sombero (with "Harmless Hiker" sign) at the top of the home page?

Be careful of dark photos. The top photo on the restaurant page is so dark, I can't tell much except it's some girl. It may be bright on some computer screens, but obviously not on all. This is a common problem for webmasters.

Ditch the "Big Blue" graphic for the "At The Gazebo" and go with another of the very fine photos for the other boxes. "Big Blue" is meaningless and contains impossible-to-read text.

The trail pic on the left side of the screen is awesome... but I might like to know where it is. I have no idea, as I haven't gotten to the area on my section hikes yet.

I think you have a great balance of reasonably-sized photos and important plain text. Informative, "pretty," and loads fast. Hard to beat web site combination!

Rain:sunMan

Local
03-16-2006, 14:34
Rain Man, thanks. I'll try to take out the Big Blue, but unfortunately the town folk running Trail Days want this band advertised and this is all they've got. I'll try to find another photo. The Trail Location you asked about (photo on left of site - http://www.traildays.info) is actually the Wilburn Ridge Trail, just a few yards up the hill from the AT, which crosses it in a couple of places. I grew up hiking this area before the AT was here, and before the state park went in. Ah, change. I'll also lighten the photo of the girl (Deb, at Damascus Eats!). Re the photo of Mala (maybe) I still haven't contacted Chomp, and he took this photo.

Red Hat, Suzanne (Hikers Inn) says hello. Are you getting back this way for Trail Days?

Just Jeff, would you write a few lines on a homemade gear contest and we'll put this on the schedule and I'll try to get someone to donate prizes? No promise, but I'll try to get this listed.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be making the suggested changes in the next few days, and will try to make any other changes anyone suggests.

Richard

D'Artagnan
03-16-2006, 14:39
The trail pic on the left side of the screen is awesome... but I might like to know where it is. I have no idea, as I haven't gotten to the area on my section hikes yet.

Looks like Grayson Highlands (Wilburn Ridge maybe?). Do yourself a big favor and check it out if you have time around Trail Days. This will be my first T-D and I am looking forward to it and getting to put faces with a lot of the names here.

D'Artagnan
03-16-2006, 14:41
Dang, I got sidetracked and forgot to hit post. (See above) I guess I was right about Wilburn Ridge. :D

Miss Janet
03-16-2006, 15:07
This is a great site. It is nice to have the info to pass on to people so far before the big event.

I did notice, that regardless of the large number of complaints and heartfelt suggestions.... the Hiker Talent Show will remain 11 am Sat. before the parade. This creates a problem at the end of the parade when hundreds of hikers converge on the vendor area with no where to go. For many years the talent show was held after the parade so all the hikers gathered at the Gazebo. The past two years the huge number of people turning around to go back into town or back to the campground has been crazy! The congestion of horses at the end of the parade, the released traffic and the throng of people turned back into town is going to get someone hurt! I saw a horse nearly end up in a baby stroller because no one could move!

I notice that the auction for The Place is right after the parade... Maybe that will draw the hikers... but what hiker is going to bid on a lovely TV that they can't carry with them!

Sly
03-16-2006, 19:04
If that's not Mala I sure feel sorry for the guy that looks exactly like him! :)

The site looks great and loads fast, but I think it would be best set at 800x600 to be best viewed by most settings and browsers.

I also agree with Miss Janet (big surprise there ; ) that the talent show should be moved back to it's *traditional* time slot after the parade.

Sly
03-16-2006, 19:13
Oh BTW, since he's away, I don't think you have to worry about using Chomps photos, but you never know about the guy that looks exactly like Mala. ;)

Belew
03-16-2006, 19:34
The new site looks great. The photo of Big Daddy put a smile on my face. I can't wait to hear him and Chris Q! Virginia Ground will kick arse too. :D Thanks for the hard work.

Local
03-16-2006, 21:51
Sly, thanks for suggesting the more narrow pixel width. With the advent of these wide-screen laptops an 800 pixel width site gets lost, and the tech forums have mixed advice, such as here:

http://www.pixel2life.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3384

But since a lot of computers still are set for 800 width, and it is annoying to try to read a wider page, I'll change most of the site to 800. I'll do this in a few days.

We're working on changing the talent show time, but I am just the messenger here, and the "committee" will make that decision. Sigh.

Thanks

Richard

Local
03-18-2006, 09:19
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on http://www.traildays.info. I've incorporated most of them into the site: lightened some photos, made the pages more narrow to fit on an 800 pixel width monitor, put directions on the map, added some basic information on shuttles and what hikers can expect to find in Damascus, a link to a local weather report, and more. Thank you for the suggestions in this forum and through e-mail. I've also added a thank-you page, http://www.traildays.info/thanks.html. Hopefully I didn't leave anyone out, and if you want a website linked from your name let me know.

If there are other suggestions please e-mail me at [email protected].

I look forward to seeing all of you at Trail Days.

Richard

walkin' wally
03-18-2006, 09:52
I like the pictures of the Grayson Highlands. That is beautiful country. I hope to be down there in a few years. Very nice website so far.

Red Hat
03-18-2006, 13:57
Yes, Metayel, I'll be at Trail Days! Tell both Suzanne (Hiker Inn) and Suzy Montgomery (Montgomery B&B) that I'll be there. I'm dropping my husband off at the campground outside of town where he'll stay while I hike in. I'm going south to Erwin and hiking north, since I missed that section last year. I am so excited I can't wait till May!

hikerjohnd
04-06-2006, 21:45
Was just looking at this map (http://www.traildays.info/parking.html) and was wondering about the camping area defined by the arrow - is that for RV's or are tents going to be that far out?

Or are teh area designated as tents not camping tents?

I assume it will be the same as last year...

Lone Wolf
04-07-2006, 07:35
The new site looks great. The photo of Big Daddy put a smile on my face. I can't wait to hear him and Chris Q! Virginia Ground will kick arse too. :D Thanks for the hard work.
Virginia Ground broke up.

Local
04-07-2006, 07:46
hikerjohnd, the camping is the same as last year. Campground opens Wednesay 17th for walk-ins, Thursday for vehicles, $15 a car. I need to add the new bingo hall to the map. It's next to the campground and a lot of activities will take place there.

Virginia Ground? Yeah, I heard the rumor. I'll take them off the schedule. Tonya (town clerk) says there might be a backup band to replace them. They were scheduled for the Baja also.

www.traildays.info

Newb
04-07-2006, 08:06
I'm confused. I'm coming in with my Xterra and would love to be able to tent by my car. Where will that kind of thing happen?

Lone Wolf
04-07-2006, 08:11
Out at tent city where it's always at.

Local
04-07-2006, 09:35
Yeah, you're right, confusing. :confused: I've got "tents" indicated on the map where the vendors and displays will be. I'll change the map later today to indicate "tent and car camping," plus I'll add the bingo hall. Thanks, Wolf. Thanks, Newb. Hey, Newb, wanta sell your Xterra? My daughter is looking for one.

http://www.traildays.info/parking.html

Newb
04-10-2006, 08:37
Nah. I love this car. It's one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned. I even invented a camping product for it that is selling well at http://www.magnascreen.com

norub
04-10-2006, 17:15
hikerjohnd, the camping is the same as last year. Campground opens Wednesay 17th for walk-ins, Thursday for vehicles, $15 a car.

Wow, it's jumped to $15 per car now?? It was $10 last year and a lot of people thought that was pretty steep. What is the town DOING with all that money?? Guess its too much to expect that they might use a teeny bit to do something about the muddy hole they confine the hikers to for the tenting...

Footslogger
04-10-2006, 17:20
[quote=Local]Some of the resident thru-hikers living here have already suggested changes which we have included, particularly Sheriff (03) who runs the Baja Cafe.
===================================
Not a biggie but Sheriff hiked in 2001

'Slogger

Local
04-10-2006, 20:34
norub, I'll verify that it's $15. I don't know if that's a one-time fee or not. And I have no idea what the budget is, but it's time for me to ask. I'll also check with the people setting up the campground and see what the conditions are, and if there's higher ground I'll try to get that for tent campers. No promises. I think that area is mostly flat, but I'll see what the plans are.

Footslogger, I've got Sheriff for '01 on the website "Thanks" page. Sometimes I have too many Newcastles at the Baja and don't think clearly.

Footslogger
04-10-2006, 21:31
Footslogger, I've got Sheriff for '01 on the website "Thanks" page. Sometimes I have too many Newcastles at the Baja and don't think clearly.
===============================
Good stuff ...Reason I know that is that my wife (BadAss Turtle) thru'd in 2001 and I did the beginning of her hike with her and then joined her in Monson for the 100 mile wilderness and Katahdin. We met Sheriff and the "posse" in Monson and spent some time together along the trail. He summitted a day before we did. Have stayed in touch with him (and Becky) and last year when the Baja was just getting started for Trail Days we jumped in the kitchen and helped out. They're good people and we're looking forward to seeing them again in May at Trail Days this year.

'Slogger