PDA

View Full Version : waterproof pants

allycat01
03-16-2006, 13:04
Is it necessary to carry waterproof or can you just carry quick dry pants?

Just Jeff
03-16-2006, 13:40
Depends on the temps. When it's cold I always carry waterproof. When it's warm, I just let my legs get wet.

longshank
03-16-2006, 14:37
I have a pair of sierra designs rain pants the only cost 35 bucks, best ones I've seen. They work great, pack small and lite, and outperformed my marmot precip pants in every catagory.

digger51
03-16-2006, 14:44
Most waterproof pants will cause you to sweat. I prefer to let the air dry me.

the goat
03-16-2006, 14:57
it depend on whether you'd rather be soaked by sweat, or soaked by rain. i prefer rain.

James Fetter
03-16-2006, 15:16
Rain pants or water proof pants for me. Socks get wet and you have a long tough day ahead of you. It's hard to sweat that much where your dry feet will be compromised. jnf

longshank
03-16-2006, 15:35
I always carry a pair, just in case. You may come to a point where you wish you had a pair. I like to walk around in the rain, though...

vipahman
03-16-2006, 17:54
For cold wet conditions, I use waterproof pants and gaiters. For warm wet conditions, I use water resistant/quick dry pants with short gaiters. The gaiters will prevent the rain from soaking into your socks and shoes from your pant cuffs.

Peaks
03-16-2006, 20:31
In warm weather, Frogg Togg rain pants are the only long pants I pack with me.

By the way, my gaiters don't keep my socks and feet dry. Water runs down my legs and into my boots anyway.

LIhikers
03-16-2006, 20:33
For me rain pants (and jacket) are part of my cold weather gear. When hiking in the rain the idea is to stay warm, not dry. If the weather is warm enough to be wet and stay warm then I don't bring rain gear. If there's any doubt then I put them in the pack.

Just Jeff
03-16-2006, 21:57
Usually, the ONLY pants I bring are rainpants. If it's chilly I'll add some silkweight polyester long johns. When it's cold I add polyester fleece pants.

But the rainpants are my pants, windpants, rainpants, protection for my fleece, etc.

fiddlehead
03-16-2006, 22:15
Frogg Toggs!

Seeker
03-17-2006, 01:07
not a lot of bushwhacking down here, so i use Dropstoppers as my 'pants'. a swimsuit and synthetic T are the base, polypro longjohns (top and bottom) go on over those as needed from dec-feb, and the Dropstoppers go on over that if needed. (gotta love hiking in the south). in the summer (march through november), i usually just bring the shorts and T shirt, a hat, and the Dropstoppers top. getting wet actually feels good... nice thing about all these bayous is that you can jump in any time to cool off!

oh. and to answer your question, no, i don't think waterproof bottoms are necessary... i have Green Beret friends who hike in shorts regardless of weather and temperature, including well below zero... their huge loads and energy expenditure ensure they stay warm, even if soaking wet... the problems begin when they stop to rest... an immediate change into dry clothing is a must... for us mortals, for three season hiking, i think shorts and something to cut the wind on your legs when you stop are good enough... but that 'something' doesn't HAVE to be rainpants.

orangebug
03-17-2006, 11:42
I use waterproof pants, primarily to deal with cold wind and rain. When it is warmer, I don't bother.

tlbj6142
03-17-2006, 14:30
The primary reason for rain pants is laundry days. Though my brother wrapped his hammock tarp around his waist when he sent home his rain pants during warm weather.

Blister
03-17-2006, 18:17
I have crossed over to the Frogg Togg delarium!

dje97001
03-17-2006, 18:21
Rain pants are most useful for cold, windy weather. Blocking the wind from going through your breathable fabrics is HUGE in these conditions.

txulrich
03-17-2006, 18:28
I have a pair of Red Ledge Thunderlight rain paints w/full zippers. Waterproof/breathable and I can lower the zips on the top to ventilate as required. They're a little heavier than frog toggs at 12.5 oz, but a lot more durable and part of my layering system.

I get most of my camping/hiking with the Scouts, so durability is also a consideration along with functionality and weight. Trying to balance the 3 can be tricky at times.