PDA

View Full Version : Last minute sleeping bag help !?!

Trooper347
03-16-2006, 13:24
Ok, down to the wire. I have 3 bags I need to choose from, and am having trouble. The 3 bags are as follows=

Moonstone Delta Cirrus, 32 degree rating, 2lb 5oz pack weight
Slumberjack Glacier, 0 degree rating, 3lb 12oz pack weight
Mountain Hardware Lamina, 15 degree rating, 3lb 4oz pack weight (Short size)

I will be sleeping in a Clark hammock, using an Army poncho liner (1lb 4oz with velcro sewn in for closing into sleeping bag form) and a Walmart egg crate CCF pad for primary insulation.

I would love to use the Moonstone bag because of the pack size, and lowest weight, but I am doubtful that if the weather turns bad would it be enough? Tha MH Lamina bag is a short size, which basically fits me with very little room to move or for gear (water bottles to keep from freezing, etc.). Is it a good or bad thing to have less air space in a bag? Being in Fl. for so long, I have not had to camp in anything under 40 degrees since the early 1990's lol.

Any suggestions would be a great help, thanks!

neo
03-16-2006, 13:29
Ok, down to the wire. I have 3 bags I need to choose from, and am having trouble. The 3 bags are as follows=

Slumberjack Glacier, 0 degree rating, 3lb 12oz pack weight
Mountain Hardware Lamina, 15 degree rating, 3lb 4oz pack weight (Short size)

I will be sleeping in a Clark hammock, using an Army poncho liner (1lb 4oz with velcro sewn in for closing into sleeping bag form) and a Walmart egg crate CCF pad for primary insulation.

I would love to use the Moonstone bag because of the pack size, and lowest weight, but I am doubtful that if the weather turns bad would it be enough? The MH Lamina bag is a short size, which basically fits me with very little room to move or for gear (water bottles to keep from freezing, etc.).

Any suggestions would be a great help, thanks!

i would go with this:cool: neo

fivefour
03-16-2006, 13:48
start off with the mountain harware and switch to the moonstone as the weather warms maybe ?

Trooper347
03-16-2006, 14:06
Thanks for the fast replies. I would go with one to start the trip then switch to another, but I am not relying on any maildrops (other than 2 for maps sent from an address other than my home) because my brother is handicapped, and I did not want to stress his injuries by asking him to pack, carry heavy items. I should be fine, I have my clothes set for layering, and a dry set for sleeping. I agree with Neo, the MS bag is my choice, but the doubts of the last minute gear choice has me wondering if I would be asking for trouble if the weather turned real bad. Thanks again for the input.

digger51
03-16-2006, 14:48
You will definitely have sub freezing nights, but i doubt you will have any requiring a 0 degree bag. That being said I use a 0 degree bag until i reach Damascus cause i dont like cold and I am a wimp.

Just Jeff
03-16-2006, 15:09
What clothing are you bringing? You might get through a few subfreezing nights with the 32* if you wear all of your clothing to bed (hopefully your worn insulation is still dry).

If you know it's going to be really cold:
- Heat a water bottle or two to snuggle with, or
- Go to ground with the tarp and add the poncho liner as top-side insulation, or
- Do both.

That'll probably get you through some cold nights, but maybe not as comfortably as just bringing the 0* bag. Of course, your days will be nicer by leaving behind the extra pound, though. But the main idea is to look at all of your gear as a possible sleep system, and not just the sleeping gear.

Trooper347
03-16-2006, 15:21
Final clothing list, (as of this morning and may change yet again lol).

1 set silk weight long underwear
1 short sleeve Duofold T-shirt
1 long sleeve Duofold shirt
1 pair nylon hiking pants
1 pair Columbia Packable shorts
2 pair Ingenious socks (hiking only)
1 pair wool socks (sleeping only)
1 pair Thunderlight full zip rain pants
1 Windban Fleece jacket
1 Mountain Hardware all weather jacket
1 microfleece Balaclava
1 pair duofold/fleece gloves

I did plan on layering any or all of these items (if dry) for sleeping except the socks. I have always used a hot water bottle, even before I fell in love with hammocks. The nylon pants are on this list until I decide if I like the gaiters I am bringing or not, more as something to keep bugs/dirt off my legs and in my boots. Thanks for all the help so far!

Blissful
03-16-2006, 15:44
I'd go with the Mountain Hardware. I've had a SLumberjack and while cheap, the ratings don't match up. I think 32 is not enough for the early months and then watch out for the Whites. I just got a 15 degree Marmot Mavericks for my thru hike. My dh thinks it's too heavy at 3 lbs (he likes down also) and too low a temp, but I'd rather be warm. And I think I can cut down on the clothing I bring, so the ounces offset. If I'm chilly in the evening, I can put the bag over me. But I may end up with a warmer rate bag for the summer months, if I can find a cheap but good synthetic one.

vipahman
03-16-2006, 17:33
The 0 degree bag is overkill. The 15 degree MH Lamina strikes the right balance. The 32 degree bag is light but you could layer up for those super cold days.

Also the less (dead) space in the bag, the better it performs because your body has less air to warm up. Have a hot dinner just before sleeping, some push-ups to get the blood flowing, a hot/warm bottle of water in the bag with you and you will be snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug.

Enjoy!